Topic Stats

• 12,208 posts
  • 685 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8,003 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E82288B3-510E-48C9-A913-281C5CBC2BAE (resized).jpeg
20200118_141337_resized (resized).jpg
D8E32D9A-DA05-4A3C-937B-DFBA9DB2F771 (resized).jpeg
20200113_223630 (resized).jpg
gm4 (resized).jpg
gm5 (resized).jpg
IMG_2990 (resized).JPG
IMG_2992 (resized).JPG
IMG_2991 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
IMG_9421 (resized).jpg
IMG_9354 (resized).jpg
IMG_9349 (resized).jpg
IMG_9427 (resized).jpg
IMG_9417 (resized).jpg
IMG_9416 (resized).jpg

There are 12208 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 245.
#3101 5 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Here is my first, "300" from Gottlieb.
Needs a couple small play field spots touched up (where the ball lands from the two kick outs. And the back glass needs some spots repaired.

That's a pretty nice 300 you have there. I wouldn't worry about the spots at the kickout holes or the backglass(other than finding a better backglass to replace this one with).

Having to take what is arguably in 95%+ condition and get that extra 5% out of it is not what this hobby is about.

Keep the playfield clean and waxed, rebuild mechanisms as needed to get it to play better, keep a new ball in it and play it. Have fun.

#3102 5 years ago

Here's my Gottlieb VOLLEY

IMG_0347.JPG

#3103 5 years ago
Quoted from Bostonbuzz:

IMG_0347.JPG 48 KB

Looks minty fresh.

#3104 5 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Your Dimension looks great. Is that Ron's repro bg and is your pf a repro also or original? I wish my playfield was as nice as yours..........

Thanks hoov! I'm really happy with the way it came cosmetically, still sorting out some minor mechanical and light socket issues. It is a repro backglass, only one of two games i have with non-original glass in them. This one i'm ok with though, as it is really a beauty. The playfield is original, i touched it up, but it really wasn't that bad to begin with. Just the normal kick out hole wear. I did not clear coat it, wanted to keep it as original as possible. When its just small areas i tend to wax over the paint and keep it clean/waxed and it holds up well. It could use a new set of plastics though, as every one is flawed somewhere, I hid the issues as best i could, but one day when I can afford to splurge I will get them.

#3105 5 years ago
Quoted from PhilC:

The playfield is original, i touched it up, but it really wasn't that bad to begin with. Just the normal kick out hole wear. I did not clear coat it, wanted to keep it as original as possible. When its just small areas i tend to wax over the paint and keep it clean/waxed and it holds up well

That's exactly how I touch-up my playfields. Just haven't got to my Dimension yet. If I were you and I had a game that nice I would spring for the plastics from Pinball Rescue. You even get a cool key chain plastic......

#3106 5 years ago
Quoted from Bostonbuzz:

IMG_0347.JPG 48 KB

That's nice!

I haven't found a Volley local to me yet but I'm hoping too someday. Does your Australian Terrier guard your Volley for you?

#3107 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

That's a pretty nice 300 you have there. I wouldn't worry about the spots at the kickout holes or the backglass(other than finding a better backglass to replace this one with).
Having to take what is arguably in 95%+ condition and get that extra 5% out of it is not what this hobby is about.
Keep the playfield clean and waxed, rebuild mechanisms as needed to get it to play better, keep a new ball in it and play it. Have fun.

Thank you. Ive thoroughly cleaned it, cleaned most of the switches/motors as needed. everything now works 100%

Its definitely something I enjoy. And being an EM its (in my opinion) a nice way to break into the hobby.

#3108 5 years ago

My Machines have been in storage for several months. I am finally starting to set up my Gameroom again.

image.jpg
#3109 5 years ago

very nice!! way to go Adam!
hope all is well, Ron

#3110 5 years ago
Quoted from kovalski3:

My Machines have been in storage for several months. I am finally starting to set up my Gameroom again.

image.jpg 142 KB

Nice Adam, but you need to get a bulb in that coin entrance plate on Lucky Hand!

#3111 5 years ago

Since I couldn't attend York show today (Ill be there tomorrow morning at least, workplace issues grrrr) I took some pics of my games.
Here is my North Star, second one I did this year, this one has original cab paint, playfield and backglass. New repro plastics. Has flipper drag and a few wear spots that i did not touch up, but overall it was nice enough to do nothing else to IMO. Keeping this one

NS4.JPG NS1.JPG NS2.JPG NS3.JPG
#3112 5 years ago

Trade Winds is my favorite game in my collection at the moment to play. It may not have the best art or the most features, but this would be the last one to go I think.

TW1.JPG TW2.JPG TW3.JPG
#3113 5 years ago

I would love to get a Trade Winds. And I think the artwork is just fine.

#3114 5 years ago

A little more 60's Williams love to be shown, this game is another great player!

HW2.JPG HW1.JPG
#3115 5 years ago

Since Trade Winds will be the last one to go, you can send me that Heat Wave when you are ready.

#3116 5 years ago

I'd like a Trade Winds too. Can we keep the good Williams games secret though.

#3117 5 years ago

Neither going anywhere any time soon if ever odin! I had a really hard time finding these even in this condition as Im sure you know. I really wish Heat Waves cabinet was nicer (the lower has been painted over heavily on the sides, probably cant save it) especially considering the price I paid for it. But it has ridiculously low plays and minimal wear, so its a compromise!
Trade Winds is supposedly HUO, and I may believe it, as it dose not have a coin relay like all of my other williams games if i remember correctly, it has divots in the bottom panel where it would have been installed. Guy said his father bought it for him new. Who knows really, all I know is I'm thrilled with it.

#3118 5 years ago

Awesome collection with a really nice mix.

#3119 5 years ago
Quoted from PhilC:

I had a really hard time finding these even in this condition as Im sure you know.

Yes I know. I have a few early 60s Williams gems myself. I haven't tested them yet, as I haven't needed to, but I read they run their coil voltages higher than the others. You can sure feel it when you play.

#3120 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Awesome collection with a really nice mix.

Thanks! Unfortunately, my "collection" is less than half restored or even set up. But one at a time I am resurrecting them! Next up is 4 Roses...

Quoted from o-din:

Yes I know. I have a few early 60s Williams gems myself. I haven't tested them yet, as I haven't needed to, but I read they run their coil voltages higher than the others. You can sure feel it when you play.

Sounds like you are in the same position as me. You have that beautiful Big Daddy though, correct? Man am I envious of that, mine needs a miracle. For me, the ones needing the most cosmetic work or money invested tend to fall to the back of the pile, mostly in hopes of finding a better condition one...

#3121 5 years ago

Yes. That Big Daddy is the one thing that makes me a little more patient looking for any of these other rare Williams titles. But it is also the machine that made me want more. My daughter loves that game as well, so there is no chance it will ever leave. Even if I had no children, it would still be the last one to go. It really is a work of art.

#3122 5 years ago

This thread is too full of nice games.. I'M ABOUT TO BRING THE GRUNGE!

#3123 5 years ago

Starting with pics first....

image-4.jpgimage-865.jpgimage-207.jpgimage-642.jpgimage.jpg

#3124 5 years ago

So this was a FREEBIE Hang Glider. My wife found it through our kid's allergist. Apparently they were talking about pinball one day and he was like "I've got this thing in my garage, I need to get rid of it." and without even asking me, she said "Okay, we'll take it."

There is a reason I marred her. :p

So, about three months later, we tried to pick it up from him (he's busy, very popular allergy practice), and come to find out, they didn't have the key for the head. We explained we'd have to find a drill and bit and have to come back another time. We went on vacation, our annual overtime bonanza started up, and we couldn't ever find the time to borrow a drill and be there at the same time as was convenient for everyone. So last sunday, she gets a call. He drilled the lock, said to come get it. So we did.

As you can see, rubber bands everywhere, hard and brittle, the rubber rings that are left were turning to dust, lol. Backglass was "cleaned" by someone who seems to have dissolved a bunch of the white window paint and then smeared it everywhere, and also caused many of the light-transparent sections to start flaking. BUMMER. Playfield is full of ball swirls. Dirty as crap and...

It plays pretty good, actually. The flippers are nice and strong, you can really rip the spinner, gets a ton of spins, sounds fantastic when the reels are just cranking those 100p spins. Chimes sound pretty good, knocker is scary loud. I was able to get the player unit working and the ball count unit was working after that, the more I fiddle with it the more stuff magically starts working. All the "features" work, but the drop targets are a bit mushy and don't reset very well.. I'm suspecting spring replacements are in order, I'll have to look at it. Lots of burned out bulbs.

#3125 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

So this was a FREEBIE Hang Glider. My wife found it through our kid's allergist. Apparently they were talking about pinball one day and he was like "I've got this thing in my garage, I need to get rid of it." and without even asking me, she said "Okay, we'll take it."
There is a reason I marred her. :p
So, about three months later, we tried to pick it up from him (he's busy, very popular allergy practice), and come to find out, they didn't have the key for the head. We explained we'd have to find a drill and bit and have to come back another time. We went on vacation, our annual overtime bonanza started up, and we couldn't ever find the time to borrow a drill and be there at the same time as was convenient for everyone. So last sunday, she gets a call. He drilled the lock, said to come get it. So we did.
As you can see, rubber bands everywhere, hard and brittle, the rubber rings that are left were turning to dust, lol. Backglass was "cleaned" by someone who seems to have dissolved a bunch of the white window paint and then smeared it everywhere, and also caused many of the light-transparent sections to start flaking. BUMMER. Playfield is full of ball swirls. Dirty as crap and...
It plays pretty good, actually. The flippers are nice and strong, you can really rip the spinner, gets a ton of spins, sounds fantastic when the reels are just cranking those 100p spins. Chimes sound pretty good, knocker is scary loud. I was able to get the player unit working and the ball count unit was working after that, the more I fiddle with it the more stuff magically starts working. All the "features" work, but the drop targets are a bit mushy and don't reset very well.. I'm suspecting spring replacements are in order, I'll have to look at it. Lots of burned out bulbs.

Congrats Frax on the freebie! You are going to have to explain how you marred your wife though

#3126 5 years ago

Funny that the typo is still applicable. I think I'm going to leave it.

#3127 5 years ago

Pretty sure vid has a thread on how to restore her.

#3128 5 years ago

FRAX -
Drop targets may not need springs. before you spend a dime, take them completely a part and clean them thoroughly. Ultrasonic with degreaser if you have one, otherwise break out your old toothbrush and get after it.

#3129 5 years ago

Williams Liberty BellLiberty Bell.jpgPop Bumbers.jpgSpinner.jpg

#3130 5 years ago

dtown - I am on a mission take some awesome pictures like that to put on our game room wall. Any suggestions? I have an old basic DSLR (D40) but I do have a 50 mm fixed manual focus lens.

#3131 5 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I do have a 50 mm fixed manual focus lens.

That's by far my favorite lens for kid picture taking. (Very unhelpful, I know! )

#3132 5 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

That's by far my favorite lens for kid picture taking. (Very unhelpful, I know! )

It really is awesome., just wich I had a camera that could focus it automagically.

#3133 5 years ago

I've got a Canon T1i. I think they are on 4 or 5 now. I still don't have a single complaint with mine (aside from the fact that the only lens missing out of my arsenal is a dedicated macro lens).

#3134 5 years ago

Hearing you boys talk about these sixties Williams like that does my heart good!

#3135 5 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

I've got a Canon T1i. I think they are on 4 or 5 now. I still don't have a single complaint with mine (aside from the fact that the only lens missing out of my arsenal is a dedicated macro lens).

I have a macro I use occasionally with my Ti3, but honestly they're tricky lenses to use because the depth of field is just so shallow. The Canon 50mm prime is one of the best bang for the buck lenses out there, no question.

#3136 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Hearing you boys talk about these sixties Williams like that does my heart good!

I was born in '77, so this Abra Ca Dabra is my first pin I've owned that's actually older than me.

I'll take more pics of it after I get my replacement Webb backglass. Should have it all up and running smoother by then. Need to find the time to pull the apron and paint it so I can get this decal on it too, that with the Webb glass and the new plastics I still need to install should have it looking nice.

#3137 5 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

dtown - I am on a mission take some awesome pictures like that to put on our game room wall. Any suggestions? I have an old basic DSLR (D40) but I do have a 50 mm fixed manual focus lens.

Absolutely. Believe it or not I'm still rocking a Canon 30D. Which by the way, your camera is a 40D not a D40. Nikon does the letter before the number designations. Every game I finish a game I do a wide angle with a Sigma 10-20. All photos are done in a dark room. Photoshop is used to black out any background that may be seen like, say...my camera. I used a wired remote so I can get out of the photo as well.

If you want ball close ups, a macro lens is the way to go. I have a 60mm macro but would recommend the 100mm so you can get the camera farther away. Nonetheless, it's obvious from some of my pics that I had to sit the camera on the top of the playfield plastics to get the images I did. Then I cloned it out in photoshop. In those cases the 60mm is better suited.

Tripod is also a necessity. We're talking about low light photography so forget about handholding the camera.

Your fixed 50 (I'm assuming the F1.4 one) is a great lens but you need the close focusing distance of a macro lens for ball closeups. I think there is an older 50mm macro though. Maybe get yourself the 60mm like I have. Unfortunately, it has gone up significantly in price. When I bought the 60mm it was around $360.00. Now it's over $400.00.

I have a nice Panny advanced point and shoot that has a macro setting which I've thought about using. Be interesting to see how it works.

If you're gonna stick with your 50mm (assuming it's not the macro variant) maybe just focus on some of the playfield art of your subject. Just remember the rule of thirds. The eye should be drawn to somewhere in the thirds area of you photos. Don't be afraid to turn the camera sideways too.

Oh and one final thing. Many ask me how I keep the ball still on the playfield. Simple. Just pull your playfield up and a little forward. Stuff some magazines in the area between the lockdown bar receiver and the bottom of the playfield till that ball stays still. Hope this helps some.

#3138 5 years ago

"Trade Winds is my favorite game in my collection at the moment to play. It may not have the best art or the most features, but this would be the last one to go I think."

BEAUTIFUL Trade Winds Phil - congrats on a fine game! After looking for one for years, I had a shot earlier this year at one that appeared on the Pinside EM Craigslist thread, but missed out on it. And at a great price to boot (argh!). My quest continues. I have a Ron Webb repro backglass awaiting a new home in the meantime.

- Tim

#3139 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Just remember the rule of thirds.

I don't remember much from my brief interest in photography, but this I use with ever picture I take.

Thanks for sharing some suggestions. I need to go out and find what I want as the subject and start trying.

#3140 5 years ago

Anyone needs lenses, I can recommend a friend of mine - owns Pacific Rim Camera. Yes, he is a pin nerd too. Ask for Mike
http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/

#3141 5 years ago

I got motivated by the recent conversation here and took some quick attempts with my cell to try and find the right subject. I have more work to do, but welcome any thoughts on what 'works'.

2014-10-10 22.39.58.jpg 2014-10-10 22.41.38.jpg 2014-10-10 22.43.26.jpg 2014-10-10 22.44.01.jpg 2014-10-10 22.45.37.jpg 2014-10-10 22.47.13.jpg
#3142 5 years ago

I put Comet Ice Blue LEDs in my coin inserts on Abra Ca Dabra. The subtle blue doesn't blow them out, looks natural. Less heat in the front area now too. I don't want to use LEDs in visible spots, like the GI, but I'm not a purist either.

image.jpg

#3143 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

BEAUTIFUL Trade Winds Phil - congrats on a fine game! After looking for one for years, I had a shot earlier this year at one that appeared on the Pinside EM Craigslist thread, but missed out on it. And at a great price to boot (argh!). My quest continues. I have a Ron Webb repro backglass awaiting a new home in the meantime.
- Tim

Thanks Tim, i wouldn't even have it if it were not for a fellow collector picking it up for me and delivering to york, pa show last year this time. Heading up there now as a matter of fact. Its a shame we live on opposite sides of the country, it seems you, Glen and I share the same love for these old William's games. Its also a shame these titles are so hard to find in decent shape. Good luck in your quest, its a worthy one!

#3144 5 years ago

here are a few of mine ... err ... shall i call this my 'game room'!!

space is very limited in my apt so i 'rotate' through the games, changing them up every couple of months

not sure if setting the heads on top (pushes down the coin return buttons - but i don't use those anyhow) is hard on the buttons or not .. but i need the room and it looks cool as 'wall art'

oh dear.JPG

i see my hallway is a mess ... trying to make room for the soon arrival of jack n jill too .. yikes!

cheers, Ron

#3145 5 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

space is very limited in my apt so i 'rotate' through the games, changing them up every couple of months
not sure if setting the heads on top (pushes down the coin return buttons - but i don't use those anyhow) is hard on the buttons or not .. but i need the room and it looks cool as 'wall art'

i see my hallway is a mess ... trying to make room for the soon arrival of jack n jill too .. yikes!
cheers, Ron

Get rid of the couch, you can set up a few more! (that's what I did!)

oh dear.JPG 173 KB

#3146 5 years ago

This just returned to roost after about 9 years in a friend's basement. Boilerman's cabinet repaint the other day has me jonesing for his skill set to refurb my cabinet. I'll find the time one day.

image.jpgimage-341.jpgimage-810.jpgimage-338.jpgimage-921.jpgimage-670.jpg

#3147 5 years ago

Wow, beautiful backglass and playfield on that North Star. Someday, I'll hopefully find one. Great artwork.

#3148 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

This just returned to roost after about 9 years in a friend's basement. Boilerman's cabinet repaint the other day has me jonesing for his skill set to refurb my cabinet. I'll find the time one day.

image.jpg 110 KB

image-341.jpg 234 KB

image-810.jpg 291 KB

image-338.jpg 263 KB

image-921.jpg 300 KB

image-670.jpg 296 KB

That North Star looks great! I have tracings for sure and possibly stencils from a previous north star restore if you need them. I was going to reuse the head stencils for my Majorettes, and not sure if i have both of the side ones still. But here was my repaint:

IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0014.JPG
#3149 5 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

cheers, Ron

oh dear.JPG 173 KB

Awesome collection, I second removing the couch!

#3150 5 years ago
Quoted from PhilC:

Awesome collection, I second removing the couch!

... yikes, you should see the bedroom ...

no couch must stay! but i did move it to other room one night to set up a full line up of wedge heads which was pretty neat to see

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 12208 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 245.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside