Topic Stats

• 12,132 posts
  • 680 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by midniight
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7,948 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191117_141652 (resized).jpg
20191117_140230 (resized).jpg
20191117_140237 (resized).jpg
20191117_140224 (resized).jpg
20191117_140217 (resized).jpg
IMG_3103 (resized).JPG
IMG_3102 (resized).JPG
IMG_20191110_193917187 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191024_154651251 (resized).jpg
AT2 (resized).jpg
AT1 (resized).jpg
20191110_181329 (resized).jpg
20191110_181312 (resized).jpg
20191108_140747 (resized).jpg
20191108_140157 (resized).jpg
20191108_135936 (resized).jpg

There are 12132 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 243.
#3051 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just finished reading all 61 pages of this thread. Some great photos and advice and stories, thanks everyone who contributed.
Hopefully I can contribute to it before too long. Still sorting out what I'm looking for to get my feet wet, but right now Abra Ca Dabra and Centigrade 37 are probably at the top of my list. Have an offer for the ACD, I'm starting to realize I'm going to have to let go of my aversion to shipping games if I want to be picky about titles.

abra is a great player and a great looker C37 on the other hand is a great looker and so so player.
I had 2 of them and really tried to like them but no matter how I set them up the game play was to easy

Quoted from CactusJack:

Or be very, very patient! It seems that just when you finally get a title, others seem to pop right up locally.

sometime you can wait for a title to show up locally but I notice that certain titles are harder to find than others in good to better condition. if want a nice one shipping is always on the table

#3052 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

abra is a great player and a great looker C37 on the other hand is a great looker and so so player.
I had 2 of them and really tried to like them but no matter how I set them up the game play was to easy

We should talk more about Abra.

I'm a total EM newb, and I haven't played one yet, so I see the really simple symmetrical playfield and it's hard to imagine it has enough to do. Then I see C37's layout and think there's more to it. I suspect that's my newbness speaking.

#3053 5 years ago

Check this thread out. As a former owner, (who miss' his!) I can vouch for it's staying power. The progressive bonus ladder jacks up the lit target value that cycles thru on the drops. Back hand shots to the upper rollovers are very tricky, but rewarding, and there's more........
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-em-gottlieb-abra-ca-dabra-club-droolers-welcomed

#3054 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Check this thread out.

Oh that's perfect, thanks!

#3055 5 years ago

I can't think of folks who've gotten rid of Abra because they didn't like how it played (although there's probably one out there somewhere). I can't say the same about C37 (or El Dorado, or Atlantis, or several others).

There's a fair amount going on with Abra:
- top and bottom 1-4 rollover lanes to complete;
- drop target banks to complete, and then reset with a skill shot to the center bullseye;
- progressive bonus values for completing the 1-4 or the drops;
- roving lit drop target to award bonus value.

Having two ways to complete the 1-4 is nice, since there's not a stranded value that can only be achieved by losing a ball or a plunger skill shot (like the #1 on Buccaneer, or the two 4's on a Sing Along, for example); everything can be achieved via flipper shots, even getting the ball back up through the top rollovers.

It will remain a fixture in my collection (I've gone through four examples to get a nice enough one - could still be upgraded some day!).

#3056 5 years ago

having most of the games mentioned by Dirtflipper .. totally agree on Abra, great game and stays challenging too .. but i do love my Atlantis, El Dorado and C37 i doubt any will be leaving any time soon

#3057 5 years ago

I think this is partly why EM collectors often have multiple machines (or just pinheads in general).

I love C37 and even though it could be considered "easy" I think the variety of shots is what keeps it interesting for me. I'm not always trying to go for a score or special and the playfield has a nice variety of stuff to do. I think Surfer/Surf Champ falls into this category as well.

Abra on the other hand looks like a much simpler game until you play it.

Both games are great. Start with one, add the other.

#3058 5 years ago
Quoted from ahanson:

Abra on the other hand looks like a much simpler game until you play it.

i like that description of Abra ! well put

#3059 5 years ago

The funny thing about Abra Ca Dabra is it was a sleeper game until we started talking about it on Pinside.

#3060 5 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

The funny thing about Abra Ca Dabra is it was a sleeper game until we started talking about it on Pinside.

I just love the era-appropriate fantasy themed art. If everyone said "looks great, game sucks" I'd probably sadly reconsider, but that's the draw for me. There just aren't a lot of classic EM games with that kind of art, more the realm of the solid states that followed. And that's a whole different thing really.

#3061 5 years ago

OK, here's my first, and only my 2nd pin.

Cab is in decent shape for a 44 year old machine - the usual scrapes but solid as a tank. Amazingly clean inside, but it appears to have sat for some time in a humid environment as there is some light surface corrosion on metal parts.

DSCN0856.JPG

The backglass has seen better days. Someone took a paintbrush to it along the bottom and slathered it in white for some reason. Even green or black would have been a better choice.

DSCN0859.JPG

The playing cards were completely gone, so I hacked this together using actual cards and some fabric adhesive sheets right on the face of the glass. It came out decently and fills the space until I have this replaced or restored.

DSCN0870.JPG

The playfield is excellent, with only a few small marks on it. The coin meter only shows 22,600 plays though who knows if its rolled over.

DSCN0867.JPG

The biggest issue on the playfield is sunken inserts. I'll need to research that and see what to do with it.

1 week later
#3062 5 years ago

Picked up a Grand Prix. Thanks Odin!

IMG_5953.jpeg
IMG_2441.jpeg

#3063 5 years ago

That game looks damn nice RobT-congrats.

#3064 5 years ago

Rob are those LEDs in that game?

#3065 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Rob are those LEDs in that game?

Yep. Put them in today, then I took the pic.

Don't care what anybody says, I think it looks a lot better with LEDs in the GI. They are all white...either warm white or cool white, no colors.

I'd say 75% are warm white.

No LEDs in the backbox. Not sure if I'm going to put any there.

#3066 5 years ago

My DMD games are 100% LED. Not sure I'd put them in an EM, I kind of dig the original feel. Part of the charm of the games to me is the clack of the reels, the chiming, and the flicker and glow of the incandescents.

But I'm no LED hater obviously. You should check out the sunlight bulbs from Comet, they're pretty sweet. Warm without being overly yellow, they'd be great in something like an EM, maybe in the fluted bulbs.

#3067 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My DMD games are 100% LED. Not sure I'd put them in an EM, I kind of dig the original feel. Part of the charm of the games to me is the clack of the reels, the chiming, and the flicker and glow of the incandescents.
But I'm no LED hater obviously. You should check out the sunlight bulbs from Comet, they're pretty sweet. Warm without being overly yellow, they'd be great in something like an EM, maybe in the fluted bulbs.

That seems contradictory to your first paragraph though.

If you like the "flicker and glow of the incandescents", the warm white LEDs would come closer to that look than the sunlight bulbs would, wouldn't they?

I can appreciate the look of the incandescents to a degree, but they are simply too dim for my taste. Adding plenty of the warm white LEDs helps preserve a lot of that warm look, but with more brightness.

Like I said, no colored LEDs in the GI at all. Only a mixture of warm (75%) and cool (25%) white.

The inserts are almost all incandescents except for a few colored inserts that I wanted highlighted.

If LEDs look better in DMD pins, why would they not look better in EMs? Nostalgia and accuracy to the original would be the only reasons. And yes, those are reasons enough for many, and I totally accept that.

#3068 5 years ago

That GP playfield looks awesome.

I've got a GP too, it's a family and guest favorite for some reason. Maybe its the 2 spinners. Everyone likes spinners.

I like it because it has unlimited bonus payout, unlike the other Williams machines of the time.

#3069 5 years ago

Well finally moved my recently acquired Gottlieb Rocketship woodrail from the workshop to the games room today. I am just so happy with this machine. So thks to Kerry Imming for suggesting a wanted post and to Dirt Flipper for giving the machine his tick prior to purchase.
The machine is ultra original & in great condition for its 56 yrs. The game has special meaning for me as it is the first pin I ever played as a teenager.
Cabinet, outside & inside, is in great condition, playfield has limited wear & with a brand new Shay backglass all is there. I am amazed that all of the labels on the motor board & head remain in place.
I have resprayed the coin door front (from an awful blue) and the legs, rebuilt the flippers, made some contact adjustments and added a game over bulb mod. The machine plays just great. Here are some pics:

RSarrival.jpg
RSoverall.jpg
RSpfL.jpg
RSbg1.jpg
RSpf2.jpg
RSpf3.jpg
RSpf4.jpg
RScabL.jpg
RSheadnude.jpg
RSmotorboard.jpg

#3070 5 years ago

WOW...that's some amazing shippping creates! I can only imagine what that costed you to have shipped!

#3071 5 years ago

The higher crate also contains the new backglass and parts from PBR. The crates were shipped from the Port of Philadelphia through Panama, Auckland and finally Sydney. As this was a single machine shipment yes freight & port charges were considerable-basically the same cost as the machine.

#3072 5 years ago

Congrats on finding a nice Rocket Ship Wayne, it looks great!

#3073 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That seems contradictory to your first paragraph though.

If you like the "flicker and glow of the incandescents", the warm white LEDs would come closer to that look than the sunlight bulbs would, wouldn't they?

Nah, warm yellow LEDs don't look anything like incandescents to me. No LED does. So if I'm doing LEDs it's because I want the advantages of LEDs, not because I'm trying to mimic anything. The sunlight bulbs are great because they're going to pop the artwork and colors of plastics nicely, they're way more white and will brighten the game, but they're not quite so harsh white like cool bulbs (which I normally like in most DMD games) so it matches the tone of the EM better.

Anyways, if you make a Comet order get a handful, check them out, they're a pretty nice color.

#3074 5 years ago

I agree LED's aren't quite evolved enough for doing a total bulb replacement which looks 100%. But when mixed with incandescents the result is a significant improvement over using plain bulbs alone.

All of my EM's are fitted with stealthy LED's, but no one has ever known. Here is my recipe:

Use plain type 47 bulbs in all places where the eye has a direct view of the naked bulb filament (GI, under plastics, etc).

In pop bumpers, use Cointaker warm white premium super.

Under inserts, use Cointaker warm white frosted premium.

For backglass illumination, use Cointaker warm white frosted.

While I'm sure there are other companies with suitable products (which I eventually intend to try)... I have not found a more ideal recipe for EM games with that warm lighted look. Advantages are reduced power, more consistent lighting, improved color fidelity, and resistance to vibration/breakage. Yet the eye is fooled because all GI bulbs are filaments and thus the assumption is made that the rest are also the same.

Win-win.

#3075 5 years ago

Just got my buckaroo. Finally! It's got a long wa to go but at least it's fully working. This a really fun game! It's pretty tough getting the 1-7 on the spinner. This is prolly the first machine with a spinner I really like
image-855.jpg
image-515.jpg
image-398.jpg

#3076 5 years ago

We call that a roto target. We call spinning targets spinners.

Congrats on the Buckaroo - great game.

#3077 5 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

We call that a roto target. We call spinning targets spinners.
Congrats on the Buckaroo - great game.

Oh man I knew that. Thanks! Ha ha it even says roto target on the machine. My goof

#3078 5 years ago

My Latest pick up, Gottlieb Mustang

Mustang Pinball 2 003.JPG
Mustang Pinball 2 002.JPG
Mustang Pinball 2 001.JPG
Mustang Pinball 2 004.JPG

#3079 5 years ago

IMG_20140929_232109.jpg
IMG_20140929_232401.jpg

Only had this one a few days. I'll put up some more pictures when she's fully dressed.

#3080 5 years ago

Here's a few shots of my latest restoration. I think this was one of the last 2" flipper games with no inlanes. Pretty tough to score high on this one. I currently have it set to its maximum of 8 balls to start play and it still kicks my butt!
No cradling the ball here, you must be quick, have a good sense of when to use a 'lazy' flip, and lots of nudging. The outlanes are brutal! Totally an 'old school' kind of game. I can see why many love this game as it's certainly not too easy!
P9111075.JPG
P9301096.JPG
P9301090.JPG
P9301099.JPG
P9301088.JPG
Two things I wanted to comment on for the last pic. Yes, those are LEDs under the inserts, warm white non-ghosting type. They seem to look good as they bring out the reds well on the wows, and also are not too white with the aged/yellowed off white inserts. Also the aluminum angle piece shown, is to correct playfield bow that can seriously affect the ball travel, causing it to go towards outlanes even more than it does now! By adding spacers under the outside edges, it counteracts the convex shape. I have done this to several games with excellent results. You just need to be creative with where you can get it to fit and often need to move a few things, like bulb sockets in this case.

#3081 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Here's a few shots of my latest restoration.

Did you repaint the cabinet? If so, exceptional work. And the shop job isn't too shabby either.

Pop A Card was the game that got me hooked on pinball. Learning the bounces off the slings is critical to do well on this game. I have a Pop A Card also and it kicks my ass so badly I don't want to play it. I need some advice on how to adjust the set up to make it more balanced.

Mike O.

#3082 5 years ago

Great looking Pop a Card stashyboy.

I'm curious too on whether the paint is original - sure looks nice!

My Drop a Card is brutal too. Not an easy game to beat. Even after rebuilding my flippers and my pops were already good. The outlanes gobble up your ball likes there's no tomorrow. Talk about making me come back for 'just one more".

#3083 5 years ago

It is original paint guys......I did do a few very minor touch ups, but bought the game because the cabinet and playfield were already 9 and the glass just had a few minor issues. The worst part of the restoration was hours of cleaning the paint to remove yellow staining.
I agree with Mike as to the slingshots being a key element. They seem to send the ball into the outlanes all too often. If you nudge at just the right time, sometimes you can change the trajectory enough to save it. Even more evil, is the lower wow targets are right next to the outlanes and are the ones that light most of the time. It is possible to hit them with a good nudge off the slings, but can end in a drain as well. The upper drop targets are much harder to clear to energize the four other wows. I have found the upper side roll-overs to be very hard to hit as well, so collecting those wows is pretty much a pipe dream.......

#3084 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I have found the upper side roll-overs to be very hard to hit as well, so collecting those wows is pretty much a pipe dream...

I can't explain how addictive Drop A Card was back in the day, and still is to this day. Even though it was more random than not, getting the upper specials was a treat every time.

#3085 5 years ago

Thinking of selling my Fireball if anyone is interested.
image-772.jpg
image-782.jpg
image-935.jpg
image-568.jpg
image-707.jpg
image-542.jpg
image-9.jpg
image-436.jpg

#3086 5 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

It is original paint guys......I did do a few very minor touch ups, but bought the game because the cabinet and playfield were already 9 and the glass just had a few minor issues. The worst part of the restoration was hours of cleaning the paint to remove yellow staining.
I agree with Mike as to the slingshots being a key element. They seem to send the ball into the outlanes all too often. If you nudge at just the right time, sometimes you can change the trajectory enough to save it. Even more evil, is the lower wow targets are right next to the outlanes and are the ones that light most of the time. It is possible to hit them with a good nudge off the slings, but can end in a drain as well. The upper drop targets are much harder to clear to energize the four other wows. I have found the upper side roll-overs to be very hard to hit as well, so collecting those wows is pretty much a pipe dream.......

The inside front of the cab is painted white? (I had a Drop A Card many, many years ago, but don't recall it being white inside.)

Sharp looking game.

#3087 5 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

The inside front of the cab is painted white?

I did enhance the overspray inside the coin box area with ivory krylon, due to ground in dirt and a missing block (keeps the coin box in place) that was replaced. Otherwise original paint that was very well preserved. Here's a few more pics-
P9111070.JPG
P9111072.JPG
P9111078.JPG
P9111069.JPG
P9301094.JPG
only game with gold lettered pop caps according to Steve Young.
P9301097.JPG

#3088 5 years ago

Your games sure do turn out nice when you're done with them stashyboy!

#3089 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Thinking of selling my Fireball if anyone is interested

Pm sent to ask a few questions. Looks nice!

#3090 5 years ago

Gottlieb Central tonight...

DirtFlipper's Hangout

#3091 5 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Gottlieb Central tonight...
DirtFlipper's Hangout

2014Oct03 023.JPG 224 KB

wow! just wow!

#3092 5 years ago

I was fortunate to be invited to visit Dirtflipper's Hangout - AKA Gottlieb Central - last year. His games shine - inside and out, they play like new, and they look even better than the pictures. What else can a Gottlieb fanboy ask for?

#3093 5 years ago

Our latest lineup of EM's
I think this group will stick around for a bit.

IMG_1680.JPG
#3094 5 years ago

Just finishing this one up, having some drop target reset issues, but I think I isolated the problem. Such a great game!

photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG
#3095 5 years ago
Quoted from PhilC:

Just finishing this one up, having some drop target reset issues, but I think I isolated the problem. Such a great game!

Awesome looking pin

photo 4.JPG 232 KB

photo 2.JPG 265 KB

photo 3.JPG 274 KB

photo 1.JPG 210 KB

#3096 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

IMG_1680.JPG 231 KB

That looks kind of familiar.parents bsmt.JPG

#3097 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

That looks kind of familiar.

parents bsmt.JPG 226 KB

Yes it does.
And I would love to own a Jacks Open.
It is currently my desktop wallpaper.

#3098 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

IMG_1680.JPG 231 KB

Very nice

#3099 5 years ago
Quoted from PhilC:

photo 4.JPG 232 KB

photo 2.JPG 265 KB

photo 3.JPG 274 KB

photo 1.JPG 210 KB

Your Dimension looks great. Is that Ron's repro bg and is your pf a repro also or original? I wish my playfield was as nice as yours..........

#3100 5 years ago

Here is my first, "300" from Gottlieb.

Needs a couple small play field spots touched up (where the ball lands from the two kick outs. And the back glass needs some spots repaired.

Overall in good condition. And I'm already looking for another EM to add to the collection

20140913_042338.jpg

20140913_013530-706.jpg
20140913_042331.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 12132 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 243.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside