Topic Stats

• 11,601 posts
  • 653 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by PinZig
  • Topic is favorited by 178 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7,575 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190522_213527 (resized).jpg
815B9DCB-0168-4789-98DB-4336004432F9 (resized).jpeg
20190327_195936 (resized).jpg
20190327_195911 (resized).jpg
20190513_211922 (resized).jpg
20190522_183300_resized (resized).jpg
20190522_183241_resized (resized).jpg
20190521_205648_resized (resized).jpg
8B0C2336-0E34-4ABB-BB5E-C5AC897BFD4E (resized).jpeg
20190511_182104 (resized).jpg
20190511_182055 (resized).jpg
20190511_182042 (resized).jpg
2019-04-21 19.42.27 (resized).jpg
2019-04-21 19.42.42 (resized).jpg
20190508_201221 (resized).jpg
20190508_201204 (resized).jpg

There are 11601 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 233.
#2051 5 years ago

Now yer talkin!

#2052 5 years ago

That backglass gave me a boner in Chicago...

#2053 5 years ago

Gottlieb Spot Bowler

Before
image.jpg

After
image-474.jpg

#2054 5 years ago

What a difference nice job

#2055 5 years ago

spot bowler is a great game one of my favorite pre 55 gottliebs
you did a great job on that one

#2056 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Don't ask me why I posted that pic...
kovalski3
The PF on your Pioneer looks to be in real good shape. They are usually worn pretty bad near the hole in the extra ball/double bonus/special lights area. Excellent!
Please let us know how many games are on the counter when it's convenient for you to check.
This is how mine was before fixing it:

It is a New York not a Pioneer. Basically same game, but it is An Add A ball version. Only 300 were made.

pinball-2-xl.jpg 54 KB

IMG_3580.JPG 35 KB

#2057 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Gottlieb Spot Bowler
Before

After

image.jpg 173 KB

image-474.jpg 221 KB

Great job. So nice to see a classic woodrail brought back to life. In your opinion what is the best playing woodrail?

#2058 5 years ago

Good morning EM aficionados,

Just wanted to share a minor restoration I recently completed on my FIRST EM! Here's a quick before an after picture to get us started:

beforeAfter-5.jpg

...but what I'd really like to do is direct you to my website post where I meticulously documented this process:

http://www.elephanteater.com/9720/jubilee-pop-bumper-cap-restoration

...from the quality products at PBR (Thanks, Steve!):

DSC08315-52.jpg

...to masking:

DSC08320-332.jpg

...more masking:

DSC08332.jpg

...my first adventures in airbrushing:

DSC08334.jpg

...un-masking:

DSC08347.jpg

...and finally stepping back to admire the fruits of my labor:

DSC08370.jpg

Believe it or not, these images are not even 1/4 of the pictures I posted on my website. I've really enjoyed the restoration threads on pinside and I've learned a TON from them. This is just my attempt to give back a little as well.

http://www.elephanteater.com/9720/jubilee-pop-bumper-cap-restoration

Thanks and take care, guys!
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

#2059 5 years ago

Very nice!

#2060 5 years ago

Nice write up on your site Ryan. Very nice results as well.

#2061 5 years ago

Well done Ryan. Very impressive.

#2062 5 years ago

The color match is dead on; great work!

#2065 5 years ago

Thanks, Shapeshifter!

Quoted from Garrett:

Nice write up on your site Ryan. Very nice results as well.

I appreciate you taking the time to read through all that, Garrett!

Quoted from velcroman:

Well done Ryan. Very impressive.

Thank you, Velcroman. And while you're here, I just have to say that I'm still drooling over your Diamond Jack. Ha-ha!

Quoted from jrpinball:

The color match is dead on; great work!

I really appreciate you noticing, jrpinball. I was doin' my best to achieve that.

Thanks so much for the kind words, guys!

Lovin' this thread,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#2066 5 years ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

Another Buckaroo going in for a make over

That Buckaroo had a very nice playfield if I remember correctly. Congrats on picking it up!

#2067 5 years ago

Y

Quoted from o-din:That Buckaroo had a very nice playfield if I remember correctly. Congrats on picking it up!

Thanks. Yes it took 5 months to find one that had a nice playfield. I was a little nervous having it shipped across the country. But it made it in one piece. I guess you would not have guessed it made it in one piece from my picture.

#2068 5 years ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

Thanks. Yes it took 5 months to find one that had a nice playfield. I was a little nervous having it shipped across the country.

Good thing you did! Otherwise you never know where it might have ended up.

#2069 5 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

Left to right. First up in King of Diamonds. Sample game - hard to spot but the insert card numbers are black vs. the red on production games.

From page 38 of this thread;
Just went back and saw this. Wow; a "KOD" sample game! You say the inserts have black numbers on them instead of red. I wonder if the roto target was redone with stickers. I would think those numbers would also be black because Gottlieb already had made black targets with the same card designs for their 1960 "Spot A Card" woodrail.
The score reels number font also looks different on your game than those of the production game.

#2070 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Just went back and saw this. Wow; a "KOD" sample game! You say the inserts have black numbers on them instead of red. I wonder if the roto target was redone with stickers. I would think those numbers would also be black because Gottlieb already had made black targets with the same card designs for their 1960 "Spot A Card" woodrail.
The score reels number font also looks different on your game than those of the production game.

I just went and looked at heatwave's KOD. Cool sample game.

Hey heatwave - send some pics of your sample King of Diamonds to The Internet Pinball Database so everyone can enjoy.........

#2071 5 years ago

I really didn't notice that it was a sample game until I brought it home. Yes the numbers on the roto target were black but they were pretty worn so I went ahead and put the red stickers on them.

I have not noticed any other graphic differences but I've been meaning to take my laptop down there and look closer at the back glass and the play field.

One other difference (from slightly later production) is that these are the early Decagon score reels that use a metal gear slide that tends to chew up the plastic gear ring. A real pain and I still have some occasional scoring issues with my 10's reel (for example I may be at 280 and when I score 50 points I go to 390!) that I still need to address.

I've never submitted pics to the IPDB (just some reviews under "stlpinfan") but I will do that. I'm down in the St Louis area so if anyone is nearby and wants to check it out, just let me know.

#2072 5 years ago

I guess I'll jump on board the thread. I've been collecting (really buying and selling) since 2003 and bought my first EM about 2 years ago. I got a Surf Champ and Jet Spin from Don Owen in MD, near DC. Great guy and does a fantastic job on his pins. Don't hesitate to buy from him if he puts anything up for sale.

Anyway, I ended up getting a Quick Draw at the Texas show in 2012 and sold the other two in one of my bouts of inventory management. I regret selling the Surf Champ the most as it was a lot of fun.

I haven't thought much about EMs as I spent time with the SS and DMDs but I've decided I need a wedgehead...or two. So I'm looking at the classics from the 60s with the short flippers and I really like the animated backglasses.

Here's a few pics of current and former inventory.

Dave

Quick Draw is in the collection.

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3126.jpg

Surf Champ left and is missed.

IMG_3276.JPG

IMG_3057.jpg

Jet Spin is gone. OK game but not as fun as the others.

IMG_3234.JPG

IMG_3051.jpg

#2073 5 years ago

Here are Rich Huths games which are located 2 miles from my house in Clifton NJ.
Rich is in the process of shopping out many games in storage and adding them to his collection starting this year.
121005 002.jpg121005 003.jpg121005 004.jpg121005 005.jpg
121005 008.jpg121005 009.jpg121005 010.jpg121005 011.jpg

#2074 5 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

I guess I'll jump on board the thread. I've been collecting (really buying and selling) since 2003 and bought my first EM about 2 years ago. I got a Surf Champ and Jet Spin from Don Owen in MD, near DC. Great guy and does a fantastic job on his pins. Don't hesitate to buy from him if he puts anything up for sale.
Anyway, I ended up getting a Quick Draw at the Texas show in 2012 and sold the other two in one of my bouts of inventory management. I regret selling the Surf Champ the most as it was a lot of fun.
I haven't thought much about EMs as I spent time with the SS and DMDs but I've decided I need a wedgehead...or two. So I'm looking at the classics from the 60s with the short flippers and I really like the animated backglasses.
Dave

Surf Champ left and is missed.

Jet Spin is gone. OK game but not as fun as the others.

Thanks for sharing Dave - I've heard Don does nice work.

I'm a little biased but for 2" Gottlieb wedgeheads with animation, try King of Diamonds, Bank a Ball, Skyline, Crosstown, and Central Park to name a few. For non-animated wedgeheads I like Kings and Queens and I hear Slick Chick is a favorite (I haven't restored mine).

#2075 5 years ago
Quoted from kovalski3:

This is an add-a-ball version of Pioneer. It that was made in celebration of the 1976 lifting of the laws that banned pinball in New York State. They only made 300 of them. Tough to find, especially in nice condition.

I remember returning from vacationing in Vermont back in '76 and seeing this game brand spankin' new in the local arcade. At the time, I thought that maybe these were made for each state in the US.
Slight correction; pinball was never illegal in NY state, just NYC until 1976 when Roger Sharpe made the "shot heard round the pinball world" in front of NYC officials and the mayor at the time, Abraham Beame.

#2076 5 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Don Owen in MD, near DC. Great guy and does a fantastic job on his pins. Don't hesitate to buy from him if he puts anything up for sale.

Big Don is all aces in my book! He did a fantastic restoration on a Gottlieb baseball themed woodrail which he brought to last year's York show (the name escapes me at the moment). Great guy and a great asset to the hobby!

#2077 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Rich is in the process of shopping out many games in storage and adding them to his collection starting this year.

Rich just acquired a Gottlieb "Show Boat". Why is this significant? I don't think he did so intentionally, but with the addition of "Show Boat", he now has all three Gottlieb pins that have six live pop bumpers. The other two are "Corral", and "Thorobred", both of which can be seen in the photos that Vic posted. I can't think of any others that have six. In fact, the only other pin I can think of that has six live bumpers is not an EM. It's a game I once owned but have since sold; Williams "Whirlwind".

#2078 5 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Dave

That's an odd card tray on that "QD". The ones that say only "BUTTONS" on them are meant for export. I never saw one of that style in that form. "Subway" and "Hurdy Gurdy" have only the word "BUTTONS" as well, but are not export games.

#2079 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Here are some close-ups of the playfield showing the black numbers on the inserts and black numbers on the 10-J-Q-K-A light shields.

Playfield.jpg

Also noted a spot in the playfield that is 'pricked' for a playfield post but never had one placed in it (you can see it next to the 'Spin Roto' lettering). On all the other games on IPDB, there is a post there. Interesting that it is NOT shown in the original game flyer. Wondering if during the sample game testing the operators observed that they should set the game up with the extra playfield post in that position.

Left Middle Playfield.jpg

Finally, here is a close up of the score reels. The font used for the nubmers does look slightly different from the ones shown on the IPDB

Score Reels.jpg

#2080 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Rich just acquired a Gottlieb "Show Boat". Why is this significant? I don't think he did so intentionally, but with the addition of "Show Boat", he now has all three Gottlieb pins that have six live pop bumpers. The other two are "Corral", and "Thorobred", both of which can be seen in the photos that Vic posted. I can't think of any others that have six. In fact, the only other pin I can think of that has six live bumpers is not an EM. It's a game I once owned but have since sold; Williams "Whirlwind".

What about Ice Show?

#2081 5 years ago

"Ice Show" has five.

#2082 5 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

Here are some close-ups of the playfield showing the black numbers on the inserts and black numbers on the 10-J-Q-K-A light shields.

Also noted a spot in the playfield that is 'pricked' for a playfield post but never had one placed in it (you can see it next to the 'Spin Roto' lettering). On all the other games on IPDB, there is a post there. Interesting that it is NOT shown in the original game flyer. Wondering if during the sample game testing the operators observed that they should set the game up with the extra playfield post in that position.

Finally, here is a close up of the score reels. The font used for the nubmers does look slightly different from the ones shown on the IPDB

Whoa, that's cool; even the plastics have the numbers in black! I've seen the foreign versions of "Diamond Jack" that have blue colored plastics instead of green. I'd like to get a set of those.
Maybe the the spot that is "pricked" is for a pin such as the ones used on several other games.
Yeah, that's definitely a different number font on the score reels. I've never seen these variations before.

#2083 5 years ago

Production KoD games have the extra playfield posts there. (And yeah, they're not shown on the flyer.)

#2084 5 years ago

I just picked up the Trade Winds from CL for $450 .It's a game that I have really wanted and I am excited to get it.

tw1.JPG tw2.JPG tw3.JPG
#2085 5 years ago

Hows the back glass on that Trade Winds? Playfield looks pretty good!

#2086 5 years ago

Tough game to come by and even a tougher game to beat as a player.Nice find.

#2087 5 years ago

Great find! One of the best reverse wedgehead games. Let's see the BG. Most are pretty bad.

#2088 5 years ago

Not too bad ,some serious lifting,some touch ups .I'll try to seal it in the next few days.

twbg.JPG twbgb1.JPG twbgb2.JPG
#2089 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Big Don is all aces in my book! He did a fantastic restoration on a Gottlieb baseball themed woodrail which he brought to last year's York show (the name escapes me at the moment). Great guy and a great asset to the hobby!

I wasn't at York but I believe the game Don was working on about that time was a Gottlieb Hit n Run.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#2090 5 years ago

that is the nicest trade winds BG that i have seen, everyone i have seen was much worse than that.

#2091 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That's an odd card tray on that "QD". The ones that say only "BUTTONS" on them are meant for export. I never saw one of that style in that form. "Subway" and "Hurdy Gurdy" have only the word "BUTTONS" as well, but are not export games.

I never noticed a difference. I expect this is a rare card tray that doubles or even triples the value of my game.

Early retirement, here I come!

#2092 5 years ago

Finally got our newly made playfield plastics installed.
What a massive improvement they made.
IMG_0726.JPG

#2093 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Very nice.

Flip A Card is one Wedgehead I may get down the line as I love the asymmetrical Playfield layout.

Ken

#2094 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

What a massive improvement they made.

IMG_0726.JPG 220 KB

Very nice!

Is FAC as good a player as some say it is? Tried to buy one last year but it feel through.

#2095 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Is FAC as good a player as some say it is?

It most certainly is. Often overlooked due to it's drab pastel artwork which doesn't bother me. Very fun player and very challenging. Get one if you can. Girl's red sweater on BG is often flaked, and playfield inserts are often sunk down. I have one with a very nice playfield but the inserts are severly sunken in. The aab version "Card Trix" is a lot of fun as well.

#2096 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

that is the nicest trade winds BG that i have seen, everyone i have seen was much worse than that.

Yup, hard to find a good one. It was repro'd once, but sold out in a hurry. It's time for a rerun. I was fortunate to find a game with a pretty nice original.

#2097 5 years ago

Here is the only problem we have with Flip a Card.
It is not Add a Ball. So Card Trix would fix that in a jiff.
But at our house we like to play for high scores. We have a large dry erase board on the wall to keep track of everyones personal best, and the games high scores as well.

With Flip a Card, to get a high score, you really need to try to not complete all the cards, which is the games main objective. Once all the cards are complete it turns off the 500 point scoring on the right rollover and just starts awarding free games. These are useless in a home setting and very frustrating when trying to reach a high score.
It is a fun game and is laid out very nicely. We enjoy it a lot, but I'm sure we would be happier with a Card Trix.

#2098 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Here is the only problem we have with Flip a Card.
It is not Add a Ball. So Card Trix would fix that in a jiff.
But at our house we like to play for high scores. We have a large dry erase board on the wall to keep track of everyones personal best, and the games high scores as well.
With Flip a Card, to get a high score, you really need to try to not complete all the cards, which is the games main objective. Once all the cards are complete it turns off the 500 point scoring on the right rollover and just starts awarding free games. These are useless in a home setting and very frustrating when trying to reach a high score.
It is a fun game and is laid out very nicely. We enjoy it a lot, but I'm sure we would be happier with a Card Trix.

The solution to that is to assign a point value to replays. That way, they do apply towards your final score.

#2099 5 years ago

Just got our Gottlieb 2001 reproduction backglass in the mail today.
Mr. Webb has done it to perfection.
Took a shot of it in a window and newly placed in our Gottlieb wedgehead section.

IMG_0730.JPG IMG_0739.JPG
#2100 5 years ago

Please at least bring 2001 to the Texas Pinball Festival. I have not played a 2001 and would like to.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
9,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Rio Rancho, NM
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Machine - For Sale
Blaine, TN
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wappingers Falls, NY
€ 8.40
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
£ 39.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 11601 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 233.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside