Topic Stats

• 12,024 posts
  • 676 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7,881 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BEC9A84A-D6FE-4BE7-A37B-0EBBA1C62E67 (resized).jpeg
8EBB25B1-C771-402F-9D36-8B9CB4CED945 (resized).jpeg
081B87C0-9A9E-4DCE-A723-FE46345DEC27 (resized).jpeg
DSCN3084 (resized).JPG
DSCN3083 (resized).JPG
DSCN3077 (resized).JPG
DSCN3076 (resized).JPG
DSCN3074 (resized).JPG
d6a6035452bd11a2e1f02cce96aae62a53e69c2d (resized).jpg
cbfcc45c0da70b32e108426ba83e130e32b70cdc (resized).jpg
RoyalFlushC (resized).jpg
RoyalFlushB (resized).jpg
RoyalFlushA (resized).jpg
20190921_155621 (resized).jpg
20190921_155631 (resized).jpg
20190921_155954 (resized).jpg

There are 12024 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 241.
#1851 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

This game is just amazing. I had an epic game this morning at 1839 points. I hope to flip it soon!

IMG_0346.JPG 146 KB

I am thinking that if you are playing hooky from work. You should not be advertising this on the internet. LOL LOL.

#1852 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

sonic and zac's playfields had a thick clear coat they never had wear. backglasses are always nice too

I wondered about this because I was shocked with the playfield and backglass condition on the game. It looked like it had some kind of clear on it.

#1853 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Just bought my first EM this past weekend. 1977 Sonic Mars Trek -- will get some pics up

Do share, The_Director! Love seeing the pics of all these different EM's. I'm pretty new to the EM side of things as well. Just got mine last month:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-show-us-your-em-pinball-machines/page/29#post-1284469

Looking forward to seeing documentation of yours,

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#1854 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I am thinking that if you are playing hooky from work. You should not be advertising this on the internet. LOL LOL.

Darcy,

-Dan

#1855 5 years ago

Of all my EMs, this one is still very special to me, and it was my first. It hasn't moved from this spot since I got it. It really is a great two player game. And it kind of blends in with the scenery.
DSCN2198.JPG
DSCN2197.JPG

#1856 5 years ago

One more
DSCN2194.JPG

#1857 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

One more

DSCN2194.JPG 206 KB

And a very nice specimen too! I noticed the metal ball shooter guides. Does your game have the normal fluting (progressive groove in the wood) or is it flat there? Those metal guides normally were indicative of the experimental "Composite" playfield material that Gottlieb was trying in that era. They often appeared on the sample games.

#1858 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Does your game have the normal fluting (progressive groove in the wood) or is it flat there?

It is flat there.

#1859 5 years ago

Solar City was first pinball I purchased also, way back in 1982. Still have it, still like it, the sci-fi sort of theme, 15 drop targets. Also, I wish mine was in the condition as O-dins. Machine envy?? LOL

I will check mine for the metal shooter guides I think they are on mine as well. EDIT: I looked back on page 7 of this Topic and yes the guides are on my Solar City. Is it flat there? this is another question.

#1860 5 years ago

I had another Solar City that I sold and it also had the metal guides. This playfield does look like plywood, but with three thick plys. I bought this one off craigslist.

#1861 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had another Solar City that I sold and it also had the metal guides. This playfield does look like plywood, but with three thick plys. I bought this one off craigslist.

I don't know the whole story but that's what Gottlieb was doing at that time, they were experimenting with alternatives to the tradition multi-layer plywood. Some of them apparently didn't have the "Wood Grain" as the final ply. Those featured painted areas where we would normally not see paint (shooter lane, around the flipper area and around Roll Over switches). See this version of Big Hit from Vic in IPDB http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=253&picno=35788

o-din, Is your serial number a sample game (Begins with S)?

#1862 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

o-din, Is your serial number a sample game (Begins with S)?

The serial number has been scratched off. It looks like there are a couple more thin plys. It looks like normal plywood to me. Here is a sample game, and it does not have the metal guides-
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2237&picno=55162

#1863 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

they were experimenting with alternatives to the tradition multi-layer plywood.

Here is a pic of the serial # and the plywood on mine.
DSCN2201.JPG

#1864 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Does your game have the normal fluting (progressive groove in the wood) or is it flat there?

The shooter lane is flat, no fluting.

#1865 5 years ago

The white-painted ones may have been associated with the wood experiments, but I thought that the cleats were just an option operators could order (i.e. get the older style grooved shooter lane, or get the cleats). The cleats come on games with regular playfields too (there seems to be a mixture within production run games, without the white painted wood).

But the white-painted ones do look cool.

#1866 5 years ago

My Solar City had a traditional shooter lane, without the metal lane guides. The Jacks Open I am working on next, has the metal guides-which are unobtanium I think! (mine are a bit crusty)

#1867 5 years ago

Here are some pictures of my Jacks Open with the white crest, shooter lane and flipper area. Not sure if its a "Sample pin" but it plays awesome!photo-16.JPGphoto-15.JPGphoto-11.JPGphoto-9.JPGphoto-8.JPG

#1868 5 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

Here are some pictures of my Jacks Open with the white crest,

That is one beautiful machine! Where do you get these things?

#1869 5 years ago

Jacks Open is one of my favorite EM's ever. I would love to have one someday and yours is awesome.

#1870 5 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

Here are some pictures of my Jacks Open with the white crest, shooter lane and flipper area. Not sure if its a "Sample pin" but it plays awesome!

The serial number of 1081 would put it in the sample game range (as seen on the manufacturer's certificate sticker on the upper ball arch).

#1871 5 years ago

Thank you Mr. DirtFlipper. This happens to be the first pin I bought. It came from a local collector in a round about way. He traded it for a big ball bowler + cash and the guy that ended up with it sold it to me! I tried to sell it a couple of years ago and could not give it away! It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

#1872 5 years ago

Odin you can check for the actual serial number on top of the backbox unless you cab has been repainted.

#1873 5 years ago

I haven't seen the shooter lane guides until this thread. Would it make sense to scan one in and get some cut? Does anyone here have one off a playfield? Seems like it would be pretty easy to do. Would be neat to hear your opinions. Would you add this to your games with flat shooter lanes?

#1874 5 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I haven't seen the shooter lane guides until this thread.

Ditto,learned something new.
Wonder what else lurks out there?

#1875 5 years ago

Add a Ball of Jacks open- Lucky handimage-528.jpgimage-917.jpg

#1876 5 years ago

Not Shopped out yet, but here is my blue note.image-23.jpgimage-348.jpg

#1877 5 years ago
Quoted from kovalski3:

Add a Ball of Jacks open- Lucky hand

Nice^^ LH Adam.

#1878 5 years ago
Quoted from kovalski3:

Not Shopped out yet, but here is my blue note.

Thats a cool layout,that right flipper gets a little bit more use than the left one.

#1879 5 years ago
Quoted from kovalski3:

Not Shopped out yet, but here is my blue note.

Very nice - very hard to find title. I know someone in Illinois that's been looking for that game for a long time.

#1880 5 years ago

I'm guessing those inserts are rather sunken heh?! I played a Rock Star locally, and those 'do-re-me's were like that in your pic. DC pops really pop that's for sure!

#1881 5 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I haven't seen the shooter lane guides until this thread. Would it make sense to scan one in and get some cut? Does anyone here have one off a playfield? Seems like it would be pretty easy to do. Would be neat to hear your opinions. Would you add this to your games with flat shooter lanes?

They only appeared on '77-ish period Gottliebs (that I've seen so far, anyway). And not consistently. They trap and center the ball to the plunger tip, instead of the groove in the wood. So if the playfield has the groove in it, you wouldn't use the cleats. But if there's no groove, then the cleats are needed.

#1882 5 years ago

El Dorado is getting there.

P1010003.JPG

#1883 5 years ago

Some King Kool too.

P1010001.JPG

#1884 5 years ago

I bought Paradise in the DFW area 3-4 years ago. After I got it home, I discovered it had a sample play field, like the one on IPDB. Serial number 1066 is stamped on the head, but serial number 06674 is on the cabinet. Game showed 9,581 plays on the counter when purchased. It is in nice original condition. The photo is a couple years old and not that great, but the only one I have handy.

DSC05059.JPG

#1885 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Odin you can check for the actual serial number on top of the backbox unless you cab has been repainted.

I climbed up there yesterday and didn't see one, and it hasn't been repainted. I really don't mind though as I like the machine, it plays well, and I plan on keeping it. Kind of curious why the one on the cab got scratched off, but that we will never know.

#1886 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I climbed up there yesterday and didn't see one, and it hasn't been repainted. I really don't mind though as I like the machine, it plays well, and I plan on keeping it. Kind of curious why the one on the cab got scratched off, but that we will never know.

On this era of Gottlieb, there are four places to try and snag the serial number:

a) front of cab, upper left corner (stamped into wood)

b) top of head (ink-stamped on paint)

c) manufacturer's certificate on ball arch

d) underneath the 'operator tag' that's stapled to the wood brace behind where the cash box goes (inside the bottom cab). This is near the chime unit, and is usually the one they miss when ops 'erased' the serial number. It's ink-stamped on the wood, and the paper tag is stapled over it.

#1887 5 years ago

There is no ball arch and the only thing in the cab is under the coin box and it says Cabinet D-15117

#1888 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There is no ball arch and the only thing in the cab is under the coin box and it says Cabinet D-15117

Doh! El D/Solar/TA don't have the arch.

Can you post a picture of the inside?

#1889 5 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Can you post a picture of the inside?

It will have to be later- I gotta go to work!

#1890 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It will have to be later- I gotta go to work!

Here's a picture of where I mean.

SerNumHiding.jpg

#1891 5 years ago

Curious.....why would ops 'erase' serial numbers?

#1892 5 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Curious.....why would ops 'erase' serial numbers?

Suspect they were used to tie to city amusement device taxes/licenses, so maybe as to not let them get used by competition, or at least not track against their previous licenses. But that's just my speculation.

#1893 5 years ago

From what I understand, you would do this if you were an op and you bought a game from a distributor other than the one in your region. You don't want your local distributor picking up on the fact that you were buying games elsewhere. Scratch out the serials and nobody can track where they were originally sold.

#1894 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

From what I understand, you would do this if you were an op and you bought a game from a distributor other than the one in your region. You don't want your local distributor picking up on the fact that you were buying games elsewhere. Scratch out the serials and nobody can track where they were originally sold.

This happened a lot in the days of Ms Pac Man. The "Authorized" Bally/Midway distributor should have been the only place you could get one. But you would see them down the street at the other distributors. We would see the NIB games sitting out on the front curb with the Serial number cut out of the Cardboard box. Hmmmm.......

#1895 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I guess that kind of eliminates the thought that it might have been stolen.

#1896 5 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Here's a picture of where I mean.

I just learned something new today. Thanks Dirt-Flipper.

Mike O.
Team-EM

SerNumHiding.jpg 43 KB

#1897 5 years ago

Here is my small collection.....

Full Room.jpg

Left to right. First up in King of Diamonds. Sample game - hard to spot but the insert card numbers are black vs. the red on production games.

KOD.jpg

Next up is my 1960 Williams Nags. Included a playfield close-up - I replaced the pop bumper bullbs with colored LED lights.

Nags Game.jpg

Nags.jpg

Next is Quick Draw - gotta have a multi-player and I love drop targets.

Quick Draw.jpg

Final game is 1964 Williams Heat Wave. Awesome game with dual swinging targets and a drop target. Previous owner had a playfield plastic signed by Steve Kordek! This one is never leaving the house.

H Wave.jpg

#1898 5 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

Here is my small collection.....

It is not always about quantity. Quality and variety are more important in my book, and you have both.

#1899 5 years ago

I was thinking that too. What a nice variety of games in a small collection. Looks fun with different gameplay styles and features to keep it interesting. Plus 3 with animation which to me is always cool.

#1900 5 years ago

Heat Wave and KoD are soooo much fun!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Odenton, MD
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 35.95
Playfield - Other
MicksPinball
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Albemarle, NC
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 45.00
Machine - For Sale
Nanuet, NY
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12024 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 241.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside