Topic Stats

• 11,594 posts
  • 652 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Dee-Bow
  • Topic is favorited by 178 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7,567 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8B0C2336-0E34-4ABB-BB5E-C5AC897BFD4E (resized).jpeg
20190511_182104 (resized).jpg
20190511_182055 (resized).jpg
20190511_182042 (resized).jpg
2019-04-21 19.42.27 (resized).jpg
2019-04-21 19.42.42 (resized).jpg
20190508_201221 (resized).jpg
20190508_201204 (resized).jpg
20190508_201202 (resized).jpg
20190508_201145 (resized).jpg
20190508_201142 (resized).jpg
DSC05758 (resized).JPG
DSC05761 (resized).JPG
geminiIMG_3972 (resized).JPG
geminiIMG_3974 (resized).JPG
geminiIMG_3987 (resized).JPG

There are 11594 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 232.
#1551 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

Thanks guys... I'm checking all my CL and Ebay feeds daily, so you know it's all downhill from here

do not get the bug to where you make bad purchases.
reserch the title and make wise choices.
ask here and you should get some honest opinions
a lot of new guys to the em hobby will tell you that they made some bad purchases early on

#1552 5 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Thanks Dave!
Put in my order for some Orange Dot Flipper Coils at PBR and can't wait to get them installed. They sure speed up a game as well as make the Flippers better.
Ken

Couldn't you just take some winds off of the existing coils to make them more powerful?

#1553 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

do not get the bug to where you make bad purchases.
reserch the title and make wise choices.
ask here and you should get some honest opinions

Absolutely, glad to have a group with a ton of experience to draw from! As I mentioned, I'm entering this obsession with a limited budget so I will definitely be weighing the pros and cons of available pins before I pull the trigger on the next one.
Thanks!

#1554 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

Absolutely, glad to have a group with a ton of experience to draw from! As I mentioned, I'm entering this obsession with a limited budget so I will definitely be weighing the pros and cons of available pins before I pull the trigger on the next one.
Thanks!

you can find quite a few great em machines on a budget, some work and repair is required but if they are complete they can be repaired with little or no cash
they may not be grade A titles but good players to start out with.

#1555 5 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

Couldn't you just take some winds off of the existing coils to make them more powerful?

You can do that with pop bumper, slingshot, knocker etc coils that are single wound. Flipper coils that are double wound are not as easily modified I would think. I'll have to ask my brother. He winds coils for Steve at PBR.
How's that "Top Card"? Anything else since?

#1556 5 years ago

The Top Card plays wonderful... Cleaned up pretty nice. My brother came down and we switched it back from AAB to replay. Probably ruined your memories by doing that... Also had to solder up a new match unit as the one jones plug and wires were missing for it. Vic was a big help in tracing his TC match unit wires for me.

As far as anything new? Not really... Still hoping for the elusive Egg Head some day.

How's Lord Chesterfield these days?

#1557 5 years ago

Ohio, especially Cleveland and Akron area are a treasure trove of EMs. Also check CL in neighboring states like Indiana, Michigan and Pennsylvania. I am jealous I wish I lived in Ohio where I grew up because I would have a furnished basement and EMs galore instead of having them trucked in to Texas.

#1558 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Ohio, especially Cleveland and Akron area are a treasure trove of EMs. Also check CL in neighboring states like Indiana, Michigan and Pennsylvania. I am jealous I wish I lived in Ohio where I grew up because I would have a furnished basement and EMs galore instead of having them trucked in to Texas.

I too have noticed that about Ohio...

#1559 5 years ago

I-80 would have carried a lot of games out east from Chicago during the em heyday. When was I-80 completed though? Here locally our interstate wasn't done until the 60's.

#1560 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

you can find quite a few great em machines on a budget, some work and repair is required but if they are complete they can be repaired with little or no cash
they may not be grade A titles but good players to start out with.

That is what I've been thinking, good to hear!

Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Ohio, especially Cleveland and Akron area are a treasure trove of EMs.

It's funny you should say that, because just in the 5 months I've been on the lookout I have seen a LOT of EM's roll through local Ebay listings and Craigslist. In fact there are 2 separate guys in the Cleveland area not far from me that shop and flip machines constantly and I have seen a lot of these 60's models in this thread come and go just in that relatively short period of time.

#1561 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

Holy deal! Who sells a pinball in any shape for $25?? (unless it is one collector hooking up another)
That's fantastic, playfield looks really nice!

Here is the story on the great deal.
I went to a garage sale in a bad part of town that had three pins in the back of the garage. Strikes and Spares, 2001, and Lucky Ace. These things were covered in all manner of junk and dust. It would have taken an hour just to dig them out and I only had my Ford Escape at the time. We went back later with a pickup truck and they were still covered with crap. We dug them out and plugged in the 2001 and Lucky Ace. They both lit up and tried to start. Crazy.
The poor Strikes and spares had mold growing on the playfield from an obvious leak and the backglass was completely falling apart. We passed on it.
We offered the guy who was selling his deceased fathers stuff $50 for the 2001. He said he had to have it all out by the end of the day and it was getting late. We said OK, we will give you $25 for the Lucky Ace with no backglass and he again said sure why not.
They both cleaned up very nice and play great.
We probably should have gone back for the free Strikes and Spares, but is was truly trashed out.
Then to top it all off he had a backglass for a Woodrail, can't remember the name at the moment, that we got for $10 and a Breakout game marquee for $5.

#1562 5 years ago

Good story and 2001 is a great player and first drop target game by Gottlieb.

You got to go back with your Ford Escape and save the Strikes and Spares...someone could use a cheap project or parts game.

#1563 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Here is the story on the great deal.

That sounds awesome. Garage sales are few and far between in the midwest winter, but you're getting me pumped for spring already!

#1564 5 years ago

That Dealers Choice playfield and cabinet are in real nice condition. Can you post a close up and clear detailed picture of the top arch?

It's not easy to find a low played game like that. Looks like it was in a home for most of its life.Good find!

#1565 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Good story and 2001 is a great player and first drop target game by Gottlieb.
You got to go back with your Ford Escape and save the Strikes and Spares...someone could use a cheap project or parts game.

Never leave a pin behind?

#1566 5 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

Never leave a pin behind?

I think George Bush started that policy?

No Pins Left Behind

#1567 5 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I think George Bush started that policy?
No Pins Left Behind

Haha I don't think so.

#1568 5 years ago

They saved the whales...now its pinballs turn.

#1569 5 years ago

I would never have left it but it literally had black mold growing up off the playfield. Kind of looked like grass.
My health concerns out weighed the free pinball machine.

#1570 5 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

Not on Flipper Coils as they have 2 sets of windings each, one for high power and one for low power. All other coils you could do that.

Ken

#1571 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Kind of looked like grass.

Cha Cha Cha Chia Pin!

Haha

#1572 5 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Not on Flipper Coils as they have 2 sets of windings each, one for high power and one for low power. All other coils you could do that.
Ken

Ah... okay.

#1573 5 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Here locally our interstate wasn't done until the 60's.

North Jersey 1972 I believe if my little kid memory back then worked correctly.

#1574 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

North Jersey 1972 I believe if my little kid memory back then worked correctly.

Yes. 1972.

#1575 5 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

The Top Card plays wonderful... Cleaned up pretty nice. My brother came down and we switched it back from AAB to replay. Probably ruined your memories by doing that... Also had to solder up a new match unit as the one jones plug and wires were missing for it. Vic was a big help in tracing his TC match unit wires for me.
As far as anything new? Not really... Still hoping for the elusive Egg Head some day.
How's Lord Chesterfield these days?

Still haven't found any "LCA" in cans lately. Have to go with alternatives. This is a good time of the year to try new
brews. Will let you know if I hear any leads on "Egg Head". Have you ever played "Square Head"?

#1576 5 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I-80 would have carried a lot of games out east from Chicago during the em heyday. When was I-80 completed though? Here locally our interstate wasn't done until the 60's.

Our interstate was started in 1958, finished locally in 1965, and finally finished as a whole in late 1971 - so probably pretty close to the norm for the entire interstate system.

#1577 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

That Dealers Choice playfield and cabinet are in real nice condition. Can you post a close up and clear detailed picture of the top arch?

Defintiely. I didn't have a chance last night, but I will. I can tell you that there is a small groove in the wood following the ball path along the top arch. Doesn't seem to affect play, but definitely something I would fix if possible.

#1578 5 years ago

that ball arch wear is how you can tell how much it was played, if a game has little to no wear there than it was a low play game.

#1579 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Still haven't found any "LCA" in cans lately. Have to go with alternatives. This is a good time of the year to try new
brews. Will let you know if I hear any leads on "Egg Head". Have you ever played "Square Head"?

I know SH is the same layout as EH... Artwork doesn't do it for me though. Thanks for being on the lookout for an EH... Appreciate it.

Maybe Santa will bring you some LCA for Christmas...

#1580 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Can you post a close up and clear detailed picture of the top arch?

So glad you asked me to take this pic. Although I have wiped the playfield down to remove dust when I've had it open, I have never scrubbed it because it was cleaned and waxed before I bought it (and it has only been 3 months). When I felt that ridge across the top before I took the pic, it just didn't feel like what it appeared to be. I grabbed a magic eraser and started scrubbing and what a appeared to be a thin but deep groove actually turned out to be mostly ground in dirt. As you can see in the pic there is a slight wear line, but nowhere near what it looked like before I scrubbed it.
Also as you can see, the playfield is not pristine. Although there are no wear marks, there are some tiny spots where that hot pink paint has flaked off. Looks like it should be easy to touch up in the future. Also under the lip of the arch the black paint is faded (I hesitate to say worn off as it doesn't seem like the ball could physically touch it). I assume this is something I could fix by masking off the surrounding area and re-spray?

20131213_071436.jpg
#1581 5 years ago

looks like a lightly played game, will clean up nice.

#1582 5 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

So glad you asked me to take this pic.

Thanks for sharing. Looks pretty nice, actually!

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#1583 5 years ago

Yeah...that game for sure has low plays. Does the game meter operate correctly at the present time?Thanks so much for taking time out to post picture.

#1584 5 years ago

Yes. I was questioning the count myself so I checked it before and after I started a new game and it did advance.
Now you have me really curious about the previous circumstance of this machine. If I buy another one from the same guy, I'll make a point of asking how he got it.

#1585 5 years ago

I bet is isn't too hard to move the numbers back on the counters, but I would find it hard to believe it would be worth the trouble or make a machine more valuable. Condition is everything.

#1586 5 years ago

I always inquire and ask questions about the machine when i purchase them from their owner,especially a low played beauty like your DC. The story and history behind the machine is interesting to know and for future reference. I document as much information about my machines as possible and store it inside the coin box compartment of each game.

#1587 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I always inquire and ask questions about the machine when i purchase them from their owner,especially a low played beauty like your DC. The story and history behind the machine is interesting to know and for future reference. I document as much information about my machines as possible and store it inside the coin box compartment of each game.

I do the same thing. The history of the game is the coolest part.

#1588 5 years ago

Here are some more pictures of my basement gameroom in 2005, but without the new carpet and when the bingo's were downstairs with my Williams pins. Today the basement houses just wedgeheads. Before 2005 i had a bowler,coke machine,electric 6ft tall dartboard,3 jukes,skeeball machine,Line Drive pitch and bat and more.

It was a ton of work when you do almost it by yourself to install the new carpet and move all the bingo's and Williams games up to the attached garage gameroom that was being constructed and move out everything from the garage into the new 8 x 16 shed outside in the backyard....I got pictures of that transformation and other transformations if anyone wants to view.

The old checkered floor looked cool, but pins always slid all over the place,especially after party's.I think i should put the beer trays back up where they show more,instead of being in the bar area on the ceiling. Check it out.

aug29th2005gr 045.jpgaug29th2005gr 044.jpgaug29th2005gr 043.jpgaug29th2005gr 042.jpgaug29th2005gr 041.jpgaug29th2005gr 032.jpgaug29th2005gr 027.jpgaug29th2005gr 008.jpgaug29th2005gr 006.jpgaug29th2005gr 005.jpgaug29th2005gr 004.jpgaug29th2005gr 003-106.jpgaug29th2005gr 002.jpgaug29th2005gr 001.jpg

#1589 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Here are some more pictures of my basement gameroom in 2005, but without the new carpet and when the bingo's were downstairs with my Williams pins. Today the basement houses just wedgeheads. Before 2005 i had a bowler,coke machine,electric 6ft tall dartboard,3 jukes,skeeball machine,Line Drive pitch and bat and more.
It was a ton of work when you do almost it by yourself to install the new carpet and move all the bingo's and Williams games up to the attached garage gameroom that was being constructed and move out everything from the garage into the new 8 x 16 shed outside in the backyard....I got pictures of that transformation and other transformations if anyone wants to view.

Cool to see the old layout Vic.

Move the TC yet?

If you haven't and need a hand, just give me a shout. I'd be more than happy to help.

- jeff

#1590 5 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

Cool to see the old layout Vic.
Move the TC yet?
If you haven't and need a hand, just give me a shout. I'd be more than happy to help.
- jeff

I'm at Vic's now and we were just discussing plans to integrate the "Top Card" into the downstairs line-up.
Looks like "Spin A Card" will be pulled (it needs work, and the head is DIFFERENT!). We're going to put "2001" in
it's place, and put "Top Card" in place of "2001". We're not doing it today; it's off to another local pinball gathering!

#1591 5 years ago

Just picked up a Flip a Card this past week.
Backglass is 99% perfect.
The rest of the game is horrible. But we will get it in better shape soon.

#1592 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Just picked up a Flip a Card this past week.
Backglass is 99% perfect.
The rest of the game is horrible. But we will get it in better shape soon.

one of my white whales.....
post some pics

#1593 5 years ago

My Mata Hari EM. New playfield, everything on the topside pretty much new, new backglass and some other misc stuff. Cabinet is pretty much original and will likely stay that way for now. It was a real mess when I bought it. The play counter in it showed over 998,000 plays.
It plays like new now and is as fast and smooth as it can be.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Post edited by Player1 : Grammar

#1594 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

some more pictures of my basement gameroom in 2005

Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I got pictures of that transformation and other transformations if anyone wants to view.

PLEASE!

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#1595 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

one of my white whales.....
post some pics

OK. But don't say I didn't warn you.
First I will post the nice backglass and then onto the carnage.
I have not taken any after photos yet, but these before shots show what a real challenge this bad boy has been.

IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0536.JPG IMG_0537.JPG IMG_0558.JPG
#1596 5 years ago

that will clean up nice, i don't see anything broken or paint issues, just dirty
i bet once cleaned up it will be nice.

#1597 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

that will clean up nice, i don't see anything broken or paint issues, just dirty
i bet once cleaned up it will be nice.

It did clean up fairly well.
The playfield is now cleaned up and buffed to a high gloss.
The inserts are still horrible and of course have graphics on them. I did not have any new white playfiled post and these refused to clean up at all, and the plastics have lost most of their color. It will still take quite a bit of work to get this thing anywhere near where we want it to be.
Now that we have stripped and cleaned everything we are working on getting it running.
Currently the start button on the door does nothing. If we manually hold in the Start relay the game will reset the score reels to zero but just keeps counting off credits till it gets to zero. Can't find any stuck on tilt switches either.

#1598 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I'm at Vic's now and we were just discussing plans to integrate the "Top Card" into the downstairs line-up.
Looks like "Spin A Card" will be pulled (it needs work, and the head is DIFFERENT!). We're going to put "2001" in
it's place, and put "Top Card" in place of "2001". We're not doing it today; it's off to another local pinball gathering!

But that's not in a year of release order... Which he kind of has right now.

Sure he really wants to do that?

My 2 cents...

I say pull 'Spin A Card', shift the machines down and put the 'Drop A Card' where 'Sing Along' is. Slide down 'High Hand' and put 'Top Card' between 'High Hand' and 'Atlantis'.

Of course that's a bit more work.

#1599 5 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

But that's not in a year of release order... Which he kind of has right now.
Sure he really wants to do that?
My 2 cents...
I say pull 'Spin A Card', shift the machines down and put the 'Drop A Card' where 'Sing Along' is. Slide down 'High Hand' and put 'Top Card' between 'High Hand' and'Atlantis'.
Of course that's a bit more work.

That's almost what I first suggested to Vic, but he doesn't want to move and then re-level all those games. They're
not in exact chronological sequence anyway, and he doesn't want to hide the sweet cabinet on the "Sing Along" by
placing another game next to it. I also suggested putting the "Top Card" between "High Hand" and "Atlantis", but
again, he wants to make the minimum amount of moves. That's what happens when you get old!!!

#1600 5 years ago

I had the chronological order perfect at one time, but now that i fell of the wagon and bought some new games recently a few wedgie have fallen out of order . I gave up playing pool once a week on Tuesday's after playing for almost 35 years straight a month agao because i just wanted to come home and do nothing after working at my real job all day.

I am secretly working on a completed plan that should get me the second level family room location making it the 4th gameroom i'll have in the house.

This new addition gameroom will be between my garage gameroom and basement gameroom where my Top Card stands proudly at the present time. If i get this space i think i can squeeze another 5 wedgeheads or ?

Then and only then will i consider a large shuffle of pins to get things back in order chronological again if i end up with the new space.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bensenville, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 21.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bakersfield, CA
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
£ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
£ 39.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wappingers Falls, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 11594 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 232.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside