Another Ted Zale zipper-flipper masterpiece, Bally MiniZag (November 1968) was on my wishlist and ivan1496 offered one for sale with delivery to the York show two weeks ago. It was a playing machine but Bally used an inferior cabinet paint from mid 1966 through late 1968 that flakes like crazy. This example was no different and the aesthetics did not deter me since I enjoy restoration work as much as actual playing.
There was a second MiniZag at York that had a little better backglass and playfield (with red/orange flippers) but with a sketchy repainted cabinet and unknown working condition. I probably should have bought it as well and I was even trying to get 2 other friends to buy it but another pinsider swooped in and bought it.
Although the cabinet could stand a repaint, I have 2 other games in worse shape so I decided to follow the restoration approach by znet and do a minimalist touch up. The first order was a scrub down with Krud Kutter and magic eraser to remove 51 years of grime and brighten up the white basecoat.
The backglass had some flaking and loose areas so Triple Thick came to the rescue. The center go-go dancer looks like an alien when viewed from the back. Jerry Kelly does a great job with the female form but the mouths and lips get very pronounced. My attempt to mask the credit and score windows from Triple Thick didn't work and I ended up having to carefully scrape clear off the glass in those areas. After clearing, I did some minor touch ups to fill in small flaking bare spots but I still have the left legs of the 2 main dancers to fill in. Followed up with polishing the chrome trim with 0000 steel wool and Mothers Mag polish. Wear gloves when doing this cause it takes forever to clean your hands and get the black grime from under your fingernails and cuticles.
Coin door was torn down, repainted and metal pieces buffed. Coin door trim was regrained and buffed. New legs, pincab protectors, new playfield glass, sanded/polished playfield glass frame and touch up paint to fill in THOUSANDS of paint flecks. Not perfect but it looks a heck of a lot better and was less of a mess than sanding and a total repaint. I did end up sanding the front of the cabinet and repainting the dark blue area. I also did a full coat over the light blue on the backbox frame and later noticed the game flyer had this as dark blue. I used a good quality latex paint and brush that provided full coverage and no brush marks. Added a new line cord, replaced the fuse blocks and also high-tapped the game for snappy play. Here are the new glamour shots:
Next steps will be to restore the playfield and do something with the nasty blue adhesive rings at the pop bumpers but that is for another day and another post.