20240413_220215 (resized).jpg
20240413_220225 (resized).jpg
20240413_220229 (resized).jpg
20240413_220209 (resized).jpg
20240413_220211 (resized).jpg
20240413_220207 (resized).jpg
20240413_220203 (resized).jpg
20240413_220201 (resized).jpg
There are 13,747 posts in this topic. You are on page 222 of 275.
#11051 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Part 2.
Sat with just 2 wood screws holding the back box for 20 years. First thing done at home, get some bolts into the cabinet.

Kind of dusty as well.

Orange dot PBR coils are great in High Hand!

#11052 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Orange dot PBR coils are great in High Hand!

Got it into place, set it up, plugged it in, and it lit up exactly as the previous owner said, 'Nothing Else Happens". When I picked it up, one back box connector was off, plugged everything in. Hit the Start Button, and bang, it re-sets, kicks the ball out. Flippers have no power.

Stopped there had some eats, got a drink, and came back. It had a blown fuse, also the ball count is not resetting, moved the ball count unit, and pushed the replay button and then played a few games. Ball Count is not resetting, scoring is not working, getting 10 points here and there.

The backglass is terribly faded, and so are the playfield plastics. The back box needs some glue and a couple of clamps. Coin door has seen better days, but overall it isn't to bad.

#11053 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

he backglass is terribly faded,

Shay has the backglass; I got one from him for my High Hand and it looks nice.

#11054 5 years ago

Ball count stepper likely gummed up huh? Also, Plastics might be available from Australia?

#11055 5 years ago

Yes that’s the one. It was on the pricey side. But love the game and have not seen many in this condition.

#11056 5 years ago

Love Capt. Card! I need that one in my collections in my collection also. I need to figure out my space issue

#11057 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Today, I finally scored a "Cards Themed Gottlieb". It was in storage for 20 years.

Congrats Darcy on the High Hand! Feels so good when you score a new one

#11058 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Congrats Darcy on the High Hand! Feels so good when you score a new one

As I typed in the first post, "Finally got a Card Themed Gottlieb". A little sci-fi as well.
Have plenty of cleaning to do, par for the course. Did get it some what playing, with in 45 minutes of setting it up, considering it had been unused for 20 years.

1 week later
#11060 5 years ago

bump...first time I have had to bump this thread in 5 years. hahaha

#11061 5 years ago

Okay, I'll bite... Here's a few close-ups from a couple of different recent projects of mine. Just the same old snoozefest Gottlieb wedgeheads!

20180618_165353 (resized).jpg20180618_165353 (resized).jpg20180618_165458 (resized).jpg20180618_165458 (resized).jpg20180618_165531 (resized).jpg20180618_165531 (resized).jpg20180716_172227 (resized).jpg20180716_172227 (resized).jpg20180716_173859 (resized).jpg20180716_173859 (resized).jpg20180716_173932 (resized).jpg20180716_173932 (resized).jpg
#11062 5 years ago

Well as you know I was going to bring a pin into work for our party, and things were going well for about an hour when it decided to cease functioning and pop a fuse for good measure.

Figures, been playing it for weeks out in the garage and it was functioning flawless. Not sure what happened, our finance officer was playing and suddenly the lights went out which dropped out the game and came back on and it reset but after reset would power down again. After I wiggled some relays and fuses it decided to check out altogether.

Gary

20180725_103320 (resized).png20180725_103320 (resized).png20180725_120020 (resized).png20180725_120020 (resized).png
#11063 5 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Well as you know I was going to bring a pin into work for our party, and things were going well for about an hour when it decided to cease functioning and pop a fuse for good measure.
Figures, been playing it for weeks out in the garage and it was functioning flawless. Not sure what happened, our finance officer was playing and suddenly the lights went out which dropped out the game and came back on and it reset but after reset would power down again. After I wiggled some relays and fuses it decided to check out altogether.
Gary

Ah! At least they got a few games in before it crapped out.

#11064 5 years ago

Although I have a couple others with nice playfields with one being in the wrong lower cab., and the
other having only an okay cabinet, this one's cab. for sure is the better of the three. I picked it up from the
son of the father that bought it new in 1961. The only thing with the cab. is what appears to be touch
up spots on the lower front head. The son was too young to remember when it arrived to the house..
It has no coin entrance, or a serial number, but has the # 188 under the upper playfield apron..
Also, instead of having yellow and green bumper caps, it has yellow and blue.
Although a Subway is already set up, I'm sure I'll find a spot for it..

IMG_1307 (resized).JPGIMG_1307 (resized).JPGIMG_1308 (resized).JPGIMG_1308 (resized).JPGIMG_1310 (resized).JPGIMG_1310 (resized).JPGIMG_1314 (resized).JPGIMG_1314 (resized).JPG
#11065 5 years ago

that's some previous high score

#11066 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

It has no coin entrance, or a serial number

"Home Use Only"? Could the original owner knew some one at Gottlieb, and special ordered the game? How would one find that out? Very interesting.

#11067 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Although I have a couple others with nice playfields with one being in the wrong lower cab., and the
other having only an okay cabinet, this one's cab. for sure is the better of the three. I picked it up from the
son of the father that bought it new in 1961. The only thing with the cab. is what appears to be touch
up spots on the lower front head. The son was too young to remember when it arrived to the house..
It has no coin entrance, or a serial number, but has the # 188 under the upper playfield apron..

Is that the original cabinet paint?
If not, maybe someone filled in the coin entry openings and repainted the game.

#11068 5 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

that's some previous high score

Yes it is, and not sure if you had noticed, but there's a small threaded hole lower
and in between the flippers where a post was placed, but even still, that score is
almost hard to believe even with the advantage of that post. I was told that him
and his Dad played partners alternating turns, and they had that high score..

Quoted from Darcy:

"Home Use Only"? Could the original owner knew some one at Gottlieb, and special ordered the game? How would one find that out? Very interesting.

The son did tell me that back then his Dad worked on pinball machines and sometimes order parts
right through Gottlieb, thus got to know the company, and ordered the Flipper Fair directly through them..
He remembers a Diamond Jack also set up in the basement, but the Flipper Fair was the one he always
kept because he had it since new..

#11069 5 years ago

It's supposed to have daisy caps too, not the starburst style.

#11070 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Is that the original cabinet paint?
If not, maybe someone filled in the coin entry openings and repainted the game.

I was thinking the same thing when I first looked at the front because the paint does seem different,
but I wouldn't be surprised if Gottlieb had the coin notch filled in after the cab. was produced and then had
it repainted. I'm not sure about the push button on the front either, but I wouldn't know how Gottlieb
would expect a game to be able to be fire if they hadn't put on the button themselves..
The Son was nice and seemed very honest, but being 58, and born in 1960, when asked some of the
questions, he could only shrug his shoulders.. (T)

IMG_1310 (resized).JPGIMG_1310 (resized).JPGIMG_1313 (resized).JPGIMG_1313 (resized).JPG
#11071 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

It's supposed to have daisy caps too, not the starburst style.

With the Dad being into repairing pinballs, I guess he may have changed out the caps, but
I wouldn't have a clue why he would want to do that. When did the starburst caps come out?
Edit: The caps do look in good shape hading 44s (maybe 47s) under them..

#11072 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Interesting coin door.... it DOES look stock.

#11073 5 years ago

Certainly a rare game. Like how many EM Gottliebs were made without coin mechs? How many could have survived in this condition? How many of these Gottliebs made like this are on IPDB?

Great purchase.

That High Score is almost unbelievable. An average of 21,000 points would be needed on 20 balls. That would be a long game, ending with some sore wrists.

#11074 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:Great purchase

Thanks!

Quoted from Darcy:

That High Score is almost unbelievable. An average of 21,000 points would be needed on 20 balls. That would be a long game, ending with some sore wrists.

Yes, I agree. Although they partnered up and alternated turns, there would be four sore wrist, and also, it would
have been almost a task keeping track of that many flips..
There is one other thing I noticed on the machine that I hadn't before, so I had to go in the basement and inspect..
On the head, the base coat is 100% original, but the blue and red has a small lip. That I believe may have been redone.
On the lower cab, there's no lip and I'm certain it's 100% all original, and what got me to reinspect is that on the
back end of the lower cab on Flipper Fairs there's three circles, blue/red/blue, but the circles never got put on this
machine..

#11075 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

It has no coin entrance, or a serial number

the cabinets were all made with coin slots, they were made by a sub contractor. if you look close you can see that the coin slot hole was filled in. serial number more than likely filled in also.
flipper was made in both wood rail and metal rail. when an operator pull a game then sold it to the public, it was not uncommon for them to make it so they could not be routed agains them so the coin mech system was removed

#11076 5 years ago

If so, the operator deserves much credit. It pretty much matches the other
2 Flipper Fairs..

#11077 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

when an operator pull a game then sold it to the public, it was not uncommon for them to make it so they could not be routed agains them so the coin mech system was removed

Most likely scenario. That push button certainly doesn't look like an original factory job. With no need for a coin return button, they likely would have used the hole in the door for a start button.

#11078 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

but has the # 188 under the upper playfield apron..

That's the Gottlieb model number.
It's hard to tell for sure, but the bumper skirts and bodies don't look original either. The bodies appear to be the later style.

#11079 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I wouldn't be surprised if Gottlieb had the coin notch filled in after the cab.

Are there holes through the cabinet, for the coin entrance, mounting bolts? Have those holes been filled as well?

#11080 5 years ago

The flattened corners on the blue stencil that frames the backglass is out of place also. It looks to me that the off white surrounding the blue stencil has been repainted. It looks like the masked off the blue and cut the corners with straight lines instead of trying to mask the rounded corners that were on the original artwork.

My take is that it is another nicely maintained route game with some clean up to go into the home market. Hats off to the operator that kept his games this nice and you get to benefit from it and enjoy it.

#11081 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

but the bumper skirts and bodies don't look original either.

JR, being the Sherlock that I know you to be, it would not have surprised me if you had
noticed a bit of wear, yet the gleam of new mylar at the pop bumpers, all adding up that the
pops were rebuilt before the pic was taken. One skirt was pretty bad, and the others were
getting there, so with Wednesday being a rainy day, it's one of the first things that I did..
Also, another thing that I believe was overlooked was the green out lane guides aren't, they're
red. With all the lubing being completed, and the playfield 3/4 done, I can already tell she's
going to be a pretty fast player..
Since the other two F.F.s have nicer playfields, I'll probably hang onto this one for a while and
then let it loose this Winter and put that toward a machine I'm hoping to pick up that will fit in the
EM Arcade game room perfectly..

#11082 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

JR, being the Sherlock that I know you to be, it would not have surprised me if you had
noticed a bit of wear, yet the gleam of new mylar at the pop bumpers, all adding up that the
pops were rebuilt before the pic was taken. One skirt was pretty bad, and the others were
getting there, so with Wednesday being a rainy day, it's one of the first things that I did..
Also, another thing that I believe was overlooked was the green out lane guides aren't, they're
red. With all the lubing being completed, and the playfield 3/4 done, I can already tell she's
going to be a pretty fast player..
Since the other two F.F.s have nicer playfields, I'll probably hang onto this one for a while and
then let it loose this Winter and put that toward a machine I'm hoping to pick up that will fit in the
EM Arcade game room perfectly..

It's a fun game, and although it's pretty much identical to "Subway", it has a different feel because of the shallow cabinet. Plus, you can do the left outlane "bump save" because of that style of card tray. I once did it with the center target lit, and I nailed the target for an extra ball!

#11083 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

all adding up that the
pops were rebuilt before the pic was taken.

PBR now has the original style repro pop bumper bodies. Great product, which was long awaited.

#11084 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

PBR now has the original style repro pop bumper bodies.

That's a good thing to know. I have a few other Gottliebs form that era I plan on
going through..
Not minding Circus/Carnival theme pins, I like F.F., and actually, it wouldn't be a bad
first pin. Not only a nice player, but also there's not a whole lot of mechanics to it..

#11085 5 years ago

Some progress today.

Finally moved (most of) the Gottliebs together.
DSCN1524 (1) (resized).JPGDSCN1524 (1) (resized).JPG
DSCN1525 (1) (resized).JPGDSCN1525 (1) (resized).JPG

Still have 3 more to move into this room. Then it will look fuller.

#11086 5 years ago

Not mine, but saw and played it today at CAEX in San Jose.
Bally Six Sticks in primo condition played very well also.

IMG_20180729_122532 (resized).jpgIMG_20180729_122532 (resized).jpgIMG_20180729_122542 (resized).jpgIMG_20180729_122542 (resized).jpg
#11087 5 years ago

The next three to go, wife and I are downsizing..

10 (resized).png10 (resized).png16 (resized).png16 (resized).png1a (resized).png1a (resized).png
#11088 5 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Not mine, but saw and played it today at CAEX in San Jose.
Bally Six Sticks in primo condition played very well also.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting, I thought 6 Million $ man was first 6 player pin.

#11089 5 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The next three to go, wife and I are downsizing..

Don't tell me that you're going to put a car in BOTH garages!

#11090 5 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Interesting, I thought 6 Million $ man was first 6 player pin.

First Solid State six player flipper pin.

#11091 5 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Don't tell me that you're going to put a car in BOTH garages!

Nah, just looking at it from a available time and play perspective.

As in how much time to I have for tinkering with them and which do we play the least?

Space Odyssey, Moon Shot, Night Rider and Olympic Hockey get played the most while Domino, Star Action, Ding Dong and Touchdown round out the single players. Wife doesn't like Double Action for some reason (I find it fun) and Sky Divers and Heat Wave just seem neglected. Be nice to finally paint and setup Grand Tour and Bazaar in the game room.

#11092 5 years ago

phew, got me nervous! Garages are not for cars!

#11093 5 years ago

No room for a car in my garage...

jpcab1 (resized).JPGjpcab1 (resized).JPG
#11094 5 years ago

I thought pins in a garage was “No no” due to temperature change.

#11095 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I thought pins in a garage was “No no” due to temperature change

It’s definitely not ideal, but When I first started collecting, I kept a few EMs in my garage for a few years. It wasn’t temperature controlled, and no damage was done to the games or the backglasses.

#11096 5 years ago

I have a 220 volt electric ceiling mount heater for the cold winter months here in NJ....see picture.
Summer time the garage stays cool and winter time stays warm and temperature never fluctuates to a degree where it harms the games.
I can open the inside door to the family room pinball room on the same level as the garage and have some of the house air condition help out during pinball gathering or when ever I want. The basement gameroom has 1 1/2 ton or 18,000 btu's of cooling for just that space.

SB24 (resized).JPGSB24 (resized).JPG
#11097 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I thought pins in a garage was “No no” due to temperature change.

Heat and ac in mine

#11098 5 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Gary
[quoted image][quoted image]

Well, lesson learned - next year bring 2 pins, just in case!

#11099 5 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Well, lesson learned - next year bring 2 pins, just in case!

Tracked the problem down to the bridge rectifier. Fails continuity test and when I unplug the hot lead short goes away.

Will verify with a used one in the morning.

#11100 5 years ago

Back in action!

2018-08-02 07.42.59 (resized).jpg2018-08-02 07.42.59 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 13,747 posts in this topic. You are on page 222 of 275.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-show-us-your-em-pinball-machines/page/222?hl=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.