20240413_220215 (resized).jpg
20240413_220225 (resized).jpg
20240413_220229 (resized).jpg
20240413_220209 (resized).jpg
20240413_220211 (resized).jpg
20240413_220207 (resized).jpg
20240413_220203 (resized).jpg
20240413_220201 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

718 posts in this topic match your search for posts by jrpinball. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1499 10 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Here's a few from when I was head-over-heels w/EM's. ; )

Cash, you had some of the best titles! Hope you're doing well. JR

000_0939.JPG 246 KB

000_0941.JPG 287 KB

000_0940.JPG 219 KB

#1508 10 years ago
Quoted from devlman:

Just arrived today but here's a pic of my Sky Line before shipping

That game looks sweet! Unusual for a Gottlieb design, but fun nonetheless. Double BG animation and superb art!

101_1171.JPG 344 KB

#1509 10 years ago

You do very nice restoration work!

#1510 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I never tire of KOD - definitely a 60"s classic similar to muscle car classics!

If someone put a gun to my head and said to name the best Gottlieb wedgehead ever, I would have to say "King
of Diamonds"!

#1511 10 years ago
Quoted from Stevens:

Great pictures guys.I always thought spin a card should have been a wedgehead so I did one both ways.
Homer

Wedgehead "Spin A Card"! The thought occurred to me many times, but this is the first time I've seen it done.
Really wonderful! That's how it should look! Vic (Camp); c'mon you gotta do yours!

226.JPG 263 KB

100_3752.JPG 258 KB

230.JPG 291 KB

#1555 10 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

Couldn't you just take some winds off of the existing coils to make them more powerful?

You can do that with pop bumper, slingshot, knocker etc coils that are single wound. Flipper coils that are double wound are not as easily modified I would think. I'll have to ask my brother. He winds coils for Steve at PBR.
How's that "Top Card"? Anything else since?

#1575 10 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

The Top Card plays wonderful... Cleaned up pretty nice. My brother came down and we switched it back from AAB to replay. Probably ruined your memories by doing that... Also had to solder up a new match unit as the one jones plug and wires were missing for it. Vic was a big help in tracing his TC match unit wires for me.
As far as anything new? Not really... Still hoping for the elusive Egg Head some day.
How's Lord Chesterfield these days?

Still haven't found any "LCA" in cans lately. Have to go with alternatives. This is a good time of the year to try new
brews. Will let you know if I hear any leads on "Egg Head". Have you ever played "Square Head"?

#1590 10 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

Cool to see the old layout Vic.
Move the TC yet?
If you haven't and need a hand, just give me a shout. I'd be more than happy to help.
- jeff

I'm at Vic's now and we were just discussing plans to integrate the "Top Card" into the downstairs line-up.
Looks like "Spin A Card" will be pulled (it needs work, and the head is DIFFERENT!). We're going to put "2001" in
it's place, and put "Top Card" in place of "2001". We're not doing it today; it's off to another local pinball gathering!

#1599 10 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

But that's not in a year of release order... Which he kind of has right now.
Sure he really wants to do that?
My 2 cents...
I say pull 'Spin A Card', shift the machines down and put the 'Drop A Card' where 'Sing Along' is. Slide down 'High Hand' and put 'Top Card' between 'High Hand' and'Atlantis'.
Of course that's a bit more work.

That's almost what I first suggested to Vic, but he doesn't want to move and then re-level all those games. They're
not in exact chronological sequence anyway, and he doesn't want to hide the sweet cabinet on the "Sing Along" by
placing another game next to it. I also suggested putting the "Top Card" between "High Hand" and "Atlantis", but
again, he wants to make the minimum amount of moves. That's what happens when you get old!!!

#1614 10 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

The Frontiersman and Daisy May are unmatched and gave the players the same feeling in 1954-56 as AC/DC does today. Pinball.....it's timeless.

FrontiersmanBG.jpg 262 KB

FrontiersmanPF.jpg 225 KB

FrontiersmanLowerPF.jpg 245 KB

I had the pleasure of playing a very nice "Frontiersman" (courtesy of Harry I ) at the last York show. Great playing game with very interesting strategy. Great backglass too.

#1615 10 years ago
Quoted from MTPPC:

Big Deal just showed up. Needs some help in the player unit and some serious maintenance on the playfield:

IMAG0949.jpg 261 KB

IMAG0950.jpg 164 KB

IMAG0951.jpg 202 KB

IMAG0952.jpg 214 KB

IMAG0957.jpg 152 KB

IMAG0958.jpg 217 KB

IMAG0959.jpg 206 KB

Fun game and plays very fast. I owned one briefly a while back. I got it in a package deal with a Gottlieb "Cow-Poke". Cleaned up and shopped the "Big Deal" (it came out great!) and sold it to my Dad's neighbor.
I believe he still has it. Just about paid for the whole deal so I ended up getting the "Cow-Poke" nearly for free!

#1616 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Got home from work to find a Pinball Resource box at my door.
Got a couple of pop bumper rings, springs, and light sockets.
New coil for my Hot Tip pop bumper.
Shiny new red start buttons for my Gottlieb 2001 and Flip a Card.
Some new coin stickers and plastics for my Gottliebs as well as a new ball in play card.
And of course some shiny new caster feet.

IMG_0577.JPG 405 KB

Niiiccccccce!!!

#1617 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Just picked up a Flip a Card this past week.
Backglass is 99% perfect.
The rest of the game is horrible. But we will get it in better shape soon.

Years ago, I got a ratty "FAC" off eBay. This one also had a very nice backglass but was a wreck otherwise. The playfield was much worse than yours, and the cabinet had a horrible brushed on attempt at the original design.
Today it stands among the many other superb pins at the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park, NJ. Oddly though, the backglass currently in the game is not the original one. I kept that glass, and put another decent one in it's place.
After spending many hours bringing it back to life and making it more than presentable, it pained me to sell it, but at the time I was unemployed and needed cash to pay the mortgage! If it were today (thank God), I would have never sold it! The last time I was there, it was still probably the best playing game he has there!

#1625 10 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

Who is that young whipper snapper?</blockquote

Young? Yeah, I wish!

#1626 10 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

Backglass has some touch up. Looks ok, definitely not perfect. Playfield is nice. Cabinet shows its age, but is structurely sound.

Were you with your wife or girlfriend? I think I remember your "FAC" at Allentown, but didn't think you were selling it. My brother bought the "Card Trix" from the guy who had two "FAC"s and a "CT".

#1629 10 years ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

My 1960 Willams Jungle . It's picked this up and plan on doing a full tear down and restore . Right now there isn't to much available for this beauty .

image.jpg 232 KB

image-740.jpg 223 KB

image-922.jpg 150 KB

image-340.jpg 135 KB

image-619.jpg 128 KB

image-408.jpg 192 KB

Nice game, but not really diggin' that funky cabinet style. If I ever get to mine, I think I'm going to convert it.

#1640 10 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Garage gameroom...Here's another i sold. Picture over 10 years old. Cleaned up real nice, fixed all repairs played 100%. I have lots of restoration pictures from start to finish. I think it had a wind up bell.

June 23rd 052.jpg 206 KB

June 23rd 066.jpg 235 KB

June 23rd 057.jpg 209 KB

That cabinet is spectacular for a game that old. They must have used much better paint back then!

#1641 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Yeah^^ but it will hold a lot of Lord Chesterfield close at hand.

Once I crack one open, I never set it down anyway!

#1645 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Just got our Flip a Card polished up and finally got the playfield lit up.
The inserts are still horrible, but the rest has cleaned up very nice.

IMG_0583.JPG 201 KB

Are the inserts sunken down? That is common with this game. I have an otherwise nice PF, but the inserts are really sunk down. So many to fix too! That's keeping me from doing the game.

#1647 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Ok, a place to set your sandwich.

I never eat and pin!

#1654 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

OK. But don't say I didn't warn you.
First I will post the nice backglass and then onto the carnage.
I have not taken any after photos yet, but these before shots show what a real challenge this bad boy has been.

jrpinball said: This is what I started with. Granted, my plastics were better than yours, but that "red grunge" cleans up pretty easily.
The backglass is pretty nice; the worst thing is a scratch in the girl's red sweater. I kept that glass and used a slightly poorer one in the game.IMG_8121.JPGIMG_8121.JPG

IMG_8123.JPGIMG_8123.JPGIMG_8127.JPGIMG_8127.JPGIMG_8137.JPGIMG_8137.JPGIMG_8122.JPGIMG_8122.JPGIMG_8125.JPGIMG_8125.JPGIMG_8126.JPGIMG_8126.JPGIMG_8126.JPGIMG_8126.JPG

Post edited by jrpinball : clarification

#1656 10 years ago

This is how the "Flip A Card" turned out. I didn't do a totally hog-wild restoration on it, but it turned out very nice.
The spin feature needed a lot of work, and when I was done with it, it spun like no other I've seen before or since!
I also repro'd the score and instruction cards and the "tax stamp" on the left side of the upper arch.
As I mentioned, it is now part of the collection at the Silverball Museum in Asbury Park, NJ. Still plays great last time I was there.

IMG_0334.JPGIMG_0334.JPG IMG_0335.JPGIMG_0335.JPG IMG_0337.JPGIMG_0337.JPG IMG_0339.JPGIMG_0339.JPG IMG_0340.JPGIMG_0340.JPG IMG_0341.JPGIMG_0341.JPG IMG_0702.JPGIMG_0702.JPG IMG_0706.JPGIMG_0706.JPG IMG_0710.JPGIMG_0710.JPG IMG_0241.JPGIMG_0241.JPG IMG_0243.JPGIMG_0243.JPG IMG_0246.JPGIMG_0246.JPG
#1662 10 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Awesome. Thanks for the photos.
Your plastics started off better then ours for sure.
However our playfield wins out as it buffed up very nice with no cracks or repainting.
We almost have it completely playable, just a scoring issue to work out.
When your spinner went off on the cards in the center, How far did it spin?
Currently ours is moving just 3 to 5 cards, so I'm sure we will need to get it moving better at some point.
The only other difference I see is that our door has the nickle slot as well as the dime and quarter.
Also our flipper bats are missing the blue on top of the FLIPPER letters as well.
Can't wait to get it going perfectly.
Also did you repaint the white on the cabinet? and if so what do you normally use for that?
Here is ours so far.
JR PINBALL said:
Wow, a vast improvement already! Great work!
If you look at the "before" photos, my game was also a triple coin chute game.
I had a double chute coin entry bezel laying around as a spare, so I used what I had. My spin unit didn't work at all.
The protrusion on the fiber cam that whacks the spinner inside the cabinet was worn away. I made a piece from an old flipper link, and using an extra long screw, I installed it over the existing cam. That unit and all the associated components are quite tricky and intricate. It requires lots of tweaking to get it just right. Of course, your AX unit (the part that lights and selects the cards during and after a spin) must be adjusted and working correctly.
I believe "FAC" has two of these units; the other being used for the match feature as it is in most other games of this era. The two switches that pulse via the spinner must also be precisely adjusted. The capacitor/diode/resistor plug-in unit must be good as well. This unit is used to delay one of the relays involved with the spin/spot feature (I believe it's the delay relay.) If you put a piece of electrical tape on the armature plate of the spin pulse relay, it will make the spin faster because the tape keeps the armature plate from actually sticking to the coil when it's energized, but rather the plate is only momentarily pulled in without sticking to the coil. This makes the action of this relay faster, which pulses the AX unit faster as well. You may notice that there are two types of spin sequences.
At the start of the game, and after a ball leaves the playfield, the coil that pulses the ratchet to "wind up" the spinner cam winds it all the way back. So, the first spin of each ball utilizes this "full whack" of the spinner on the spin unit. Each subsequent spin on the same ball will only partially wind up the cam. Oddly, (on my game anyway) this partial "whack" sometimes spun the spinner faster that a full whack. The cards on the playfield would sometimes make 2 1/2 to 3 quick revolutions where a full whack (first spin on any ball) would do maybe 2 revs.
You can easily reletter the tops of the flippers with a blue sharpie. Since the letters and all the colored areas are raised, even a reasonably steady hand can get them just about perfect. Of course Pinball Resource sells them too.
As far as the paint, I was able to remove most of the ugly hand brushed stuff with "Goof Off". I actually hand brushed the red graphics back in, but I used good quality brushes and "One Shot" sign painter's paint. I also hand brushed the black stripes, but black is very easy to do. I did not repaint the white, but just touched it up as best as I could with regular latex house paint which I tinted with a bit of yellow. Sometimes I just rub the paint on with my fingers, then when it's partially dry, I will smooth it up with a damp paper towel. Sounds odd, but I get decent results that way. As I said, I did not do a full bore professional restoration, but just did the best I could with what I had around. I was very happy with how it came out, and it played like a dream. I may try to buy it back from the museum some day!

Post edited by jrpinball : clarification

#1690 10 years ago

Yes Vic, those are the factory original caps. It's an add-a-ball! Lovely creature that it is!

#1753 10 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I need to go check it out tomorrow as the score motor just turns endlessly. I'm familiar with 70's Gottliebs, but not so much with Ballys. I'm guessing the first thing to check are the switches on the score reel?

I have a '64 "Mad World" that I'm working on. It had the same problem you describe; the motor kept turning after
starting the game. It was one of the switches on one of the score reels. I think it was the top switch in the stack.
Still have other issues on the game which I'm slowly ironing out.

#1793 10 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

The King of all wedgeheads....Looks so nice!
Great find.

Vic, mine is the "peachiest" I've ever seen. DMs is also quite "peachy" but most "KODs" have faded PFs.
Look underneath the slingshot jewel posts to see what the original "coral" (I call it "peach") color should look like.
Herb made his overlay from a faded original and then used it on his "retro" disaster! One of the reasons I wouldn't want
to buy one!

#1814 10 years ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

My newest addition

Holy crappola! What a nice "Pin Up"! Another mint one pictured right here on Pinside!

#1816 10 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Joe, how "peachy" was the KOD you sold to? I can't remember his name.Here are some pictures of your KOD you sold. You seem to have a little buyers remorse look on your face in the last pic.
Wayne has a "peachy" playfield in his game too.

I got good coin for that "KOD". Rich H bought it. That game was a disaster when I got it. In fact, it started as a
body only. The cabinet literally fell apart when I got it home and cut the stretch wrap off of it. The playfield was
covered with dirt; yeah DIRT! I borrowed a head from another "KOD" I had stashed. It did come out nice and played
awesome. I haven't spoken to Rich in years, but he says it's the only game he has left and it's a keeper.
Yeah, waybro's "KOD" is quite peachy too. Don't remember how this one was, but probably average.
BTW: you suck for posting that picture!

may 26th 033.jpg 238 KB

may 26th 034.jpg 205 KB

may 26th 039.jpg 202 KB

may 26th 040.jpg 192 KB

may 26th 041.jpg 142 KB

#1817 10 years ago

Great looking game Rat. Enjoy it!

I

#1820 10 years ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

Wow shapeshifter nice guess. Yes it is. I have two of his Sweet Hearts and Pin-Up.

Oh, ok that explains it. The two are one and the same. I thought maybe someone uncovered a hidden stash of mint
"Pin-Up" machines.

1 week later
#1914 10 years ago

You have two "HTD"s? Cool!

#1917 10 years ago

Does the sample game have red inserts where the production game has yellow?

#1919 10 years ago

I've seen at least one "Hit the Deck" with red inserts on the playfield. I know "Neptune" has them because they are "WOW" lights. I'm not sure if the "HTD" was a sample game or not, but it did have red inserts.

#1923 10 years ago

Yes, "Neptune" does have red inserts because they are "WOW", but I know I did see a "Hit the Deck" with red inserts too. The late Dave Christiansen (not the artist) had one. I'm not sure what happened to that game, but I'm pretty sure it was sold before he passed away. I remember telling him that his game was different from any others I saw previously because it had red inserts. Previous to me pointing that out, he wasn't aware of his game being a variation in that respect.

#1924 10 years ago

Strange! Just looked at "Poseidon" (export version of "Neptune") on IPDB, and it has yellow inserts for the "WOW"s, even though it is an add-a-ball game. So apparently both playfields were made with both red and yellow colored inserts.

#1927 10 years ago

Nice lineup hoov! Nice condition on all those games! That "Abra Ca Dabra" is cherry!

#1935 10 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Didn't like the game play (cross between my Kings and Queens and Crosstown which I sold)

Yup, you nailed it. "Sing Along" is basically a cross between "Kings & Queens" and "Cross Town". It's a very pretty game though and would go great between the other two!

#1938 10 years ago
Quoted from Ice9ers:

Would be thrilled to have a second one - one of these days.

Would be inclined to believe that day will be coming sooner than later!

#1957 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Looking at the photos of Wing Ding. It is not a wedge head. The backbox is a rectangle. The front supports are tapered on the inside, blocking the lower sides of the backglass. That is kind of different.

In these photos, you may be inclined to think that the head of "Wing Ding" is rectangular, but it is indeed a "reverse" wedgehead. It's the only game of this series that was made in both AAB and replay versions ("Zig-Zag").
I got the lower part of this game from someone who found it in the trash, but I no longer have the playfield.
Damo may have a tough time finding a backglass, but I'm sure one will turn up for him somewhere. I needed a backglass for a Gottlieb "Play Mates" years ago, and I thought it would be nearly impossible to find one, then my buddy found two NOS "Play Mates" BGs in a house somewhere!

#1994 10 years ago

Silly question, but did you try to polish out your original plastics with Novus 2?

#1999 10 years ago
Quoted from velcroman:

a Diamond Jack I recently bought was delivered to my warehouse. Here are a few pictures. Fantastic restored condition, looks great and plays fast. It's the nicest EM I have by far.

Did that "DJ" come from Buddy R? If so, it was in nice condition from the previous owner. It had a few issues when the owner previous to Buddy had it, and I went down to fix it and I was amazed at the condition of it. It's the best example of "DJ" I've ever seen.

#2025 10 years ago

The four cards alone are probably worth quite a bit. Four legendary players there.

#2062 10 years ago

The color match is dead on; great work!

#2069 10 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

Left to right. First up in King of Diamonds. Sample game - hard to spot but the insert card numbers are black vs. the red on production games.

From page 38 of this thread;
Just went back and saw this. Wow; a "KOD" sample game! You say the inserts have black numbers on them instead of red. I wonder if the roto target was redone with stickers. I would think those numbers would also be black because Gottlieb already had made black targets with the same card designs for their 1960 "Spot A Card" woodrail.
The score reels number font also looks different on your game than those of the production game.

#2075 10 years ago
Quoted from kovalski3:

This is an add-a-ball version of Pioneer. It that was made in celebration of the 1976 lifting of the laws that banned pinball in New York State. They only made 300 of them. Tough to find, especially in nice condition.

I remember returning from vacationing in Vermont back in '76 and seeing this game brand spankin' new in the local arcade. At the time, I thought that maybe these were made for each state in the US.
Slight correction; pinball was never illegal in NY state, just NYC until 1976 when Roger Sharpe made the "shot heard round the pinball world" in front of NYC officials and the mayor at the time, Abraham Beame.

#2076 10 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Don Owen in MD, near DC. Great guy and does a fantastic job on his pins. Don't hesitate to buy from him if he puts anything up for sale.

Big Don is all aces in my book! He did a fantastic restoration on a Gottlieb baseball themed woodrail which he brought to last year's York show (the name escapes me at the moment). Great guy and a great asset to the hobby!

#2077 10 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Rich is in the process of shopping out many games in storage and adding them to his collection starting this year.

Rich just acquired a Gottlieb "Show Boat". Why is this significant? I don't think he did so intentionally, but with the addition of "Show Boat", he now has all three Gottlieb pins that have six live pop bumpers. The other two are "Corral", and "Thorobred", both of which can be seen in the photos that Vic posted. I can't think of any others that have six. In fact, the only other pin I can think of that has six live bumpers is not an EM. It's a game I once owned but have since sold; Williams "Whirlwind".

#2078 10 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Here's a few pics of current and former inventory.

Dave

Quick Draw is in the collection.

That's an odd card tray on that "QD". The ones that say only "BUTTONS" on them are meant for export. I never saw one of that style in that form. "Subway" and "Hurdy Gurdy" have only the word "BUTTONS" as well, but are not export games.

#2081 10 years ago

"Ice Show" has five.

#2082 10 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

Here are some close-ups of the playfield showing the black numbers on the inserts and black numbers on the 10-J-Q-K-A light shields.

Also noted a spot in the playfield that is 'pricked' for a playfield post but never had one placed in it (you can see it next to the 'Spin Roto' lettering). On all the other games on IPDB, there is a post there. Interesting that it is NOT shown in the original game flyer. Wondering if during the sample game testing the operators observed that they should set the game up with the extra playfield post in that position.

Finally, here is a close up of the score reels. The font used for the nubmers does look slightly different from the ones shown on the IPDB

Whoa, that's cool; even the plastics have the numbers in black! I've seen the foreign versions of "Diamond Jack" that have blue colored plastics instead of green. I'd like to get a set of those.
Maybe the the spot that is "pricked" is for a pin such as the ones used on several other games.
Yeah, that's definitely a different number font on the score reels. I've never seen these variations before.

#2087 10 years ago

Great find! One of the best reverse wedgehead games. Let's see the BG. Most are pretty bad.

#2095 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Is FAC as good a player as some say it is?

It most certainly is. Often overlooked due to it's drab pastel artwork which doesn't bother me. Very fun player and very challenging. Get one if you can. Girl's red sweater on BG is often flaked, and playfield inserts are often sunk down. I have one with a very nice playfield but the inserts are severly sunken in. The aab version "Card Trix" is a lot of fun as well.

#2096 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

that is the nicest trade winds BG that i have seen, everyone i have seen was much worse than that.

Yup, hard to find a good one. It was repro'd once, but sold out in a hurry. It's time for a rerun. I was fortunate to find a game with a pretty nice original.

2 weeks later
#2189 10 years ago
Quoted from Ice9ers:

Can you make me a recommendation on what coils I should use in the following games? King Of Diamonds/ Card Whiz/ Abra-Ca-Dabra and Volley? Thanks

Rebuild the flipper assemblies, clean and wax the playfield, replace all the rings and use the stock coils. The only game I would use jacked up coils for is "Drop/Pop A Card". "KOD" certainly doesn't need anything but stock.

#2205 10 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

It is a great player! the art is kinda lacking but the game play makes up for that 10 fold.
it is one of the cleanest games I have ever picked up.

"Team One" is a title that is often found in super clean condition. I owned a super cherry one for about 15 minutes.
It was at the York, PA show a couple of years ago. There was a Williams "Palisades" woodrail in the flea market area that I had my eye on, but the seller wanted a little more for it than I wanted to spend. I saw the "Team One" for sale inside the building, and just grabbed it in time as someone else was eyeing it as well. I brought it out to my van and then went out to the flea market area and asked the guy with the Williams woodie if he would be interested in a trade. At first he said no, but I convinced him to at least come and take a look at the "Team One" I was offering. I knew that once he agreed to come and give it a look, he would take it as soon as he saw how cherry mint it was. That's exactly what happened, and so I came away with the "Palisades" I wanted at a much more reasonable cost to me.

3 weeks later
#2333 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Can you guess the game just from the front of the wedgehead? (not sure if this pattern was used more than once)

P3180898.JPG 185 KB

"Blue Note"/ "Rock Star". I knew it just from looking at it, but verified it on ipdb.

#2336 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Can you guess the game just from the front of the wedgehead? (not sure if this pattern was used more than once)

P3180898.JPG 185 KB

That particular one has a sloppy stencil job on the lower left "wing". Goes to show you that even the factory isn't perfect when painting cabinets.

#2338 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

(it's also a sample game, if you can use that as an excuse!).

Ooh, nice!!!

#2341 10 years ago

I rescued this "Mad World" from Todd Tuckey at the Allentown show a few years back. It was a total mess. It's mostly done, but still has some gameplay issues. I'll leave the cabinet as a flaky original. I could use a new backglass because this one is cracked in the lower left corner. Not really horrible otherwise.
All of the fuses in the game were bypassed with soldered wires because all the fuse holders were broken!
There was no playfield glass (it's shorter than a standard glass by about 1 1/2") so I had a sheet cut for it.

IMG_0173.JPGIMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0171.JPGIMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0172.JPGIMG_0172.JPG

Here are a couple of "before" photos. This is what the ball push up lever and the front door looked like to start with.

IMG_0226.JPGIMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0228.JPGIMG_0228.JPG

I've had this "Bowling Queen" for many years. Did the playfield a little over a year ago. The cabinet isn't the greatest, but I'll leave it original. It plays great. I could use a plastics set and a set of the catalin plastic balls for the animation unit. Never soak the balls in Super Clean. That's what I did, and the white ones turned purple from the color of the red ones. Now they all look like plums!
I reprinted the score/instruction card and the manufacturers certificate. They came out awesome. I don't like the little window in the original S/I card, so I printed the score levels right on the same card that the instructions are on.

IMG_0174.JPGIMG_0174.JPG
IMG_0175.JPGIMG_0175.JPG
IMG_0176.JPGIMG_0176.JPG
// Error: Image 206392 not found //
IMG_0178.JPGIMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0181.JPGIMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0183.JPGIMG_0183.JPG

#2343 10 years ago

Yeah, it was a real mess when I took it out storage, but it cleaned up nice. It has a little bit of touch-up here and there. There was a little bit of flipper swipe on the left flipper into the Gottlieb logo, but I touched it up. I'm not the world's best artist and my touch ups are pretty readily detectable but I'm happy with how it turned out.

bowling qn (31).JPGbowling qn (31).JPG
GEDC0035.JPGGEDC0035.JPG
bowling qn (36).JPGbowling qn (36).JPG

The front of the head had this ugly red paint on it. I manage to get it off and it looks a little better now.
I also installed a better backglass in it.

IMG_0843.JPGIMG_0843.JPG
GEDC0026.JPGGEDC0026.JPG

#2345 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Just a few more days to go I think...

2014Mar20 013.JPG 122 KB

Hah! A "Golden Arrow"! I just moved my "BQ" and "Mad World" out of the way to make room for a nice "GA" I just nabbed. It was in the same home since around '78. It won't need much. Photos coming. Likely going to bring it to Allentown.

1 week later
#2408 10 years ago

That is one schweeet "Blast Off" ! I like your keyless front door lock. Where's the coin return flap though?
Are the red metal flippers correct for that game? I recall others I have played had regular white plastic ones. Nice touch though even so.

#2422 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Ribbons are pretty.

backglass.JPG 256 KB

kodribbon.JPG 174 KB

You da man! Congratulations. Your pins are niiiiiiicccce!

#2423 10 years ago
Quoted from Polonius:

Was working on the new Baseball and referencing off the 2001, when I thought - that looks exactly like baby birds looking to be fed. I watch too many nature documentaries.

IMG_20140401_232906.jpg 191 KB

It's what you call a "rictus" (look it up).

#2479 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

North Star arrived today. Thank you boilerman! This is a fun machine!

nsplayfield.JPG 215 KB

nsupclose.JPG 198 KB

nsbackglass.JPG 149 KB

One of the very best ever. All around great pin. Wish they made an add a ball version.

#2484 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

If there was ever a candidate for add-a-ball this would be it. Shortest ball times ever. But all the roll overs and the skill shot is fun. Today I got all the roll overs and all the specials lit. I got the last special in the middle lit after the ball drained on the far right roll over. My final score was 655. This pin is a pain in the ass to score 1000 on. It is very very challenging.

Really, wow! I've had some pretty long playing balls on "NS", but don't think I ever got out all the rollovers on my brother's game. A couple of years ago on Super Bowl Sunday, my brother had some guys over and one of them who is a fairly weak player got all the rollovers out. I don't know if he realized it when it happened, but we were all drawn over to the game when we heard the barrage of "pops" coming from the knocker.
On "NS", it is very important to have the kickers set very touchy. You want the ball to be deflected away from the side drains even if it just nicks the slingshot. Also, you want to install nice juicy, bouncy donut rubbers on the outlane posts and center post. Experiment with the pitch too. Usually "NS" plays a little friendlier with a somewhat shallow pitch.

#2509 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I had an epic score of 1846 on my North Star tonight. I figured I would share. I put some coin taker soft white retros in the green and yellow inserts along with under the roll over buttons. (Thanks Mike-O!) I am currently in my honeymoon phase but I am liking it as much as my King of Diamonds. I don't think I like it better than my Slick Chick but it is too soon to tell. It really is a fun as hell game.

nshiscore.JPG 161 KB

Try putting green LEDs under the green inserts, and yellow ones under the yellow. Also a red LED under the "special" insert. They really pop that way!

#2510 10 years ago
Quoted from dphelps:

So I got my first EM a couple of weeks ago at the Texas Pinball Festival. (Thanks Bob!)
A Gottlieb Gypsy Queen. Decided my collection needed an EM, and I couldn't be happier with it. What a classic machine. I'm afraid I may be hooked on EMs now.

That's a great looking copy of that classic woodie. What a way to start an EM collection!

#2525 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I am liking the soft whites under the greens and yellows. I will definitely buy the red ones for the red inserts because right now with #47 bulbs they look pink. I will give the yellow and green LEDs a shot. What should I buy for the upper roll overs. I want them to look natural and only slightly brighter. Are there bulb shades to tone down the soft whites?

A word of caution. You may need to add a resistor for the red "special" lamp if you replace it with an LED. My brother said his "special" LED fried shortly after it lit. That's because it is powered by solenoid voltage through a sand resistor. I'm not an electronics expert, but clearly this circuit was designed for a #44 incandescent lamp only.
As far as your other questions about LEDs, I'm no expert on those either, so you may want to either consult "Cointakers" about it, or wait for other Pinsiders replies.

#2526 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Slippery slope indeed.

It's all over!

#2532 10 years ago

All that game would have needed was Steve Kordek's autograph, and it would be essentially priceless!

#2544 10 years ago

Where are the bloody chimes?

#2548 10 years ago

That is one schweeeeet "EK" EM! Just gorgeous. I really thought he was a cool dude back in the day. Saw him make a lot of jumps, and wipe out a lot too.

1 week later
#2609 10 years ago
Quoted from kovalski3:

Lawman Is the 2 player version of Atlantis.

There's no such thing as a two-player version of "Atlantis". First off, "Lawman"/"Sheriff" are several years older than "Atlantis". The rules set are totally different. They share the same playfield layout, but that's all. Same thing with "El Dorado", "Target Alpha", et al. Two that I can think of that are true multi-player versions are "Hot Shot"/"Big Shot" for "Pro Pool", and "Jungle"/"Wild Life" for "Jungle King". There may be others, but those two readily come to mind. There are some differences because of the limitations of EM technology between the single player and multi-player versions, but the theme and basic gameplay are consistent.

#2612 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

So it is a two player version of Atlantis?

No, not really. Read above.

#2613 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

That Lawman looks Great Adam! I would love to find one 'in the wild', yet to be restored(are they out there?). Seems like owners are not as excited about the gameplay as Atlantis. Opinions?

I've owned both "Lawman" and "Sheriff". They are very good players in their own right. The bonus feature is pretty cool, and because they are multi-players, some type of bonus feature which pays out after each ball, adds a needed competitive component to the gameplay. You can't compare them to "Atlantis" because they are quite different, and were not intended to be similiar. Yes, the playfield layouts are pretty much identical, but that's where the similarities end.

#2614 10 years ago

Single player wedgeheads, with their five balls rulesets are usually always preferred by players over the single ball resetting rulesets of multi-player games. It would have been great if the the multi-player games were designed to play as single player games when only one player was selected, but that would have been entirely too complicated and costly.

1 month later
#2671 9 years ago
Quoted from BigB:

just rescued this pin a couple of weeks ago. It had been sitting in a pole shed, in pieces, for the last 5+ years! It was dirty, in pieces, and didn't work or light up at all! Some friends wanted me to fix it so their grandkids have something to play when they visit.
I replaced some parts, a new ring kit, new pinballs, and a new cord. Cleaned it up, and threw a few coats of wax at it. It shines like a new penny and plays nice. Here are some pics that I took tonight, enjoy. Later......BigB

IMG_20140528_175111.jpg 147 KB

IMG_20140528_174957.jpg 147 KB

IMG_20140528_174935.jpg 144 KB

IMG_20140528_175056.jpg 158 KB

IMG_20140528_174949.jpg 159 KB

Gotta love "Show Boat". One of a handful that have six pop bumpers. No plastics on that game either; rather odd. BTW, is that a repainted cabinet? The backglass was repro'd. Some may still be floating around.

#2695 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

it's in the crib... it really only required a few hours of work to get it playing like a champ... rebuilt the slings (which fixed the one that was locking on), adjusted the flipper return springs properly (they were way overwound, one because 2 of the screw holes were stripped and the other because the stop appeared to be magnetized), slapped on some new rubbers, fixed the knocker that was locking on, and we were good to go...
still need to r&r the score reels, and fix the replay unit (a VERY interesting free play hack was done there), but other than that, it's mechanically done... it is very clean inside the cabinet, so that should not take long either...
edit: forgot... the 0-9 as stepper for the match is completely hosed... i'm really not looking forward to rebuilding that little sob....
it is a blast to play...

Does the cat like it?

image-521.jpg 177 KB

#2696 9 years ago

Does the cat like it?

#2708 9 years ago

Vic, that game looks ***bleepin'*** immaculate! Can't wait to see it in person and play it!

1 week later
#2737 9 years ago

"Astro" is an often overlooked wedgehead. It's classic Gordon Morison art and is a blast to play.

1 week later
#2778 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

both are great players, sweethearts is one of my favorites, great art and great flow keeps you coming back for just one more game. target pool is a players game, lower balls can be had from flipper shots but the upper balls need to be had by nudging and using the upper slings. and yes chasing the lit arrows is a blast
if I had to put a number on them from 1-20 (all my pins 1=best) sweetheart would be 3 and target pool would be 8
I have sum good titles

The cool thing about "Sweet Hearts" is how you can save a ball that has drained out the left outlane. There's a few other games where this is possible as well. I've done it with my "Flipper Fair".

1 week later
#2840 9 years ago

I see "Big Albino" is still in the mix.

#2906 9 years ago

#2908 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Magic Clock revisited. It has been almost a year since Stashyboy posted a quick link for this beauty on the e-bay thread. I had just got home from work, and I saw his post.

I took a few moments to think and hit buy it now for $450. How could I not? It was in Oceanside not far away. Not too many of these out there from what I gather. It has become a favorite two player game in my garage. The artwork is classic Molentin and the backglass is still nearly flawless. The playfield has some wear, but it is still very playable.

DSCN2840.JPG 204 KB

DSCN2842.JPG 167 KB

DSCN2834.JPG 180 KB

I'm surprised "Fabulous Fantasies" never did a remake of this game and called it "Magic C_ck"!

#2909 9 years ago

Fifty percent of the words will probably be "f-words" and the other fifty percent will likely start with a "y"!

#2923 9 years ago
Quoted from GizzArd:

Picked up a gottlieb sheriff for 250 yesterday. Man this thing had some mechanical issues but now he runs great. I've been wanting to play this playfield for awhile and it's pretty darn fan. Gotta lotta tweakin to do

image.jpg 112 KB

image-7.jpg 106 KB

image-99.jpg 121 KB

Gizz, you're really on a roll! You stole that game! Nice! You're up to __ games now, and had __ games two months ago.

#2928 9 years ago
Quoted from GizzArd:

>Gizz, you're really on a roll! You stole that game! Nice! You're up to games now, and had games two months ago.
Yeah I got 5 games (big deal, 4square, beat the clock, acd, sheriff) and sold four(Mata Hari, firepower, solar city and thoro bred.
So I had 8 and now I'm at nine.
I'm just going bat shit crazy for EM machines! If I see a deal on old williams or any EM gottlieb I'm on it.

Gotta say, as an EM guy, if I had the space, one of the early SS games I'd love to own would be "Firepower". And, I love "Mata Hari" too. Did you sell the "Thoro-Bred" to "cantbefrank"? He was thinking about buying one; just wondering if he got yours. Well, you're doing it the way it should be done; selling the ones you don't want to make room for the ones you want. Some of the Williams titles are definitely great games; "Teacher's Pet" for one, and there are many others. You got the fever bad, but it's great, isn't it? "ACD" is such a hot game lately. I had to add it to my wanted list. If it happens, it happens. Happy hunting!

1 week later
#2957 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

This is all because we need more pictures of EM machines. (This thread will never die!)

photo 1.JPG 162 KB

slickchick.JPG 153 KB

photo 4.JPG 189 KB

NS.JPG 160 KB

photo 3.JPG 214 KB

KandQ-679.JPG 152 KB

photo 2.JPG 208 KB

KOD.JPG 126 KB

photo 5.JPG 229 KB

Oh, I just can't stand it! Pinball pulchritude!

#2959 9 years ago

Real schweeeet!

3 weeks later
#3004 9 years ago

Wow! Nice score. That pin is schweeeeet! Where was it listed?

#3011 9 years ago
Quoted from GizzArd:

Well I was expecting worse. It's all on the backside of the bumpers. What would you rate it?

image-584.jpg 90 KB

image-434.jpg 42 KB

image-160.jpg 65 KB

image-166.jpg 88 KB

image-908.jpg 110 KB

"Can easily be touched up with a Sharpie".

1 week later
#3037 9 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Surf Side - 1967
A bit dirty to start with

Melamine + alcohol cleans it up nicely

Quite an attractive machine. Fun as 1-player but SUPERB as 2-player... you can steal the multipliers.

New roto decals (thanks to Lee of Pinball Rescue!). Also every lamp socket replaced... backbox too. Nice and bright for decades to come. *whew*

Someone left an anonymous, appropriately-themed token of appreciation...

*GASP* what madness is this?!??!

Aha! Cabaret lighting! (colors since adjusted to the traditional red/yellow)

Rumor has it that Gottlieb stopped installing these because operators weren't replacing the bulbs. Too time consuming? Bah! Every one of mine gets 'em back!

Tired of those boring cards which look like laundromat instructions? Me too. A friend made a nice replacement.

Gotta love the matching font and original style.

Alas, this game is over...

Surf Side is an excellent looking and playing game with wildcard opportunity for a free ball and some seriously crazy last-minute turnabouts in 2-player mode. Wonderful flow between upper and lower areas. Constant motion.
It's a keeper. Grab one if you can...

surf1.JPG 104 KB

surf2.JPG 98 KB

surf3.JPG 72 KB

surf4.JPG 83 KB

surf5.JPG 63 KB

surf6.JPG 58 KB

surf7.JPG 68 KB

surf8.JPG 59 KB

card1.jpg 65 KB

card2.jpg 74 KB

card3.jpg 68 KB

Two-player games of this era don't get much love from wedgehead snobs (like me), but I've always liked this one. Very nice restoration and great looking score card too. I'm not a big fan of irreversible mods such as drilling extra holes in the playfield, but it was tastefully done and does make the game pop. I said long ago that if I found a decent copy of this game, it would be a keeper.

#3039 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Came home with a Bow and Arrow today. Very addicting gameplay.
I swear I'm becoming more and more addicted to these EMs. I'm just going to sell off all my DMD's!

IMG_6582.jpeg 234 KB

IMG_6961.jpeg 242 KB

IMG_6218.jpeg 227 KB

Had one of these several years ago and sold it at the 15th annual Allentown show. It was nice, and I think I let it go too cheap. It played super fast and was a lot of fun. Great looking game too.

2 months later
#3197 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Looks like it.

img_2778.jpeg 48 KB

l'd love to find a rectangular head one. I believe those have dark blue playfields as opposed to the lighter blue of the wedgehead variety.

#3200 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That is the only pic I could find of the rectangular head, but you can see a difference.

I do know where a Trade Winds is, but I don't know which variety. I just hope I can talk the gentleman into bringing it my way, just like he did with the Rocket.

I'm not sure, but I think the cabinet may be different as well. The flyer photo seems to show a cabinet that's not white; maybe it's a pale blue. If you look closely at the photo you posted, you can
see a darker color (looks like possibly green) on the inside of the cabinet between the playfield and the metal rails. I'd like to see a cabinet view of that game.

#3202 9 years ago

OK then. I did see that game in person, and it does not have the original cabinet paint. I didn't notice the different color on the inside edge of the cabinet. If I get down there again and the game is still there, I'll give it a look. (Note to self: go to the Silverball Museum. You haven't been there in quite a while.)

2 weeks later
#3259 9 years ago

That "Grand Slam" is cherry! Cliff, I was at your place once, and I was blown away. You have a totally different colllection now. I see you found a "Sky Jump". Thanks again for that free Williams "King Pin" cabinet you gave me when I was at your place. I see Nick's fingerprints on that "Grand Slam". He called me a while back saying you were looking for one. You found a nice one I see!

#3261 9 years ago

I was at his place years ago, and he had a full blown hot dog serving station going. It was a fun night. Got a free Williams "King Pin" cabinet from him while I was there. Thanks, Cliff!

#3273 9 years ago

Was at PBR yesterday. Yeah, there's a big poster of you as you walk in through the doorway. "Customer of the Month" it said!

#3278 9 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Finished most of the necessary work on my Aces & Kings and she's now playing and looking great. The backglass still needs some help, but I'm happy with how it's turned out overall. It's a very difficult game to score on as collecting the bonus is really more luck than skill but the player can make some bit of difference once you learn the angles. It is a good, simple game to whet the appetite and learn to troubleshoot the EM-style games.

AnK2.jpg 174 KB

That game looks cherry! Nice find on a game you don't see very often.

#3285 9 years ago

You single handedly paid my brother's salary at PBR for the next few months. He only works there part time.

#3288 9 years ago

No it isn't Jimmy. He works Monday through Friday as far as I know. My brother mostly winds coils for PBR.

#3292 9 years ago

One of the toughest of the "flipper series" games to find. I know you're not an AAB guy Vic, but you should have gotten this one. The backglass was remade and can probably still be had.

#3297 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

From an engineering/geometry standpoint, there are a few things to consider here.
1. The second, lower, ring closes the gap, just the smallest bit, between the flippers. So advantage to players' scores.
2. What I have noticed is that the original ring position sits above the ball centerline. Placing the second ring causes the flipper to strike the ball at or just below the ball centerline.
3. Not sure how much the geometry/physics come into play here but with only the ring installed in the original ring position I would expect a hit to the ball to push the ball into the playfield at the same time it is pushing the ball up the playfield. Obviously we see reams of evidence that this downward radiant of force has not caused overly intrusive damage to the playfield finish - among other things capable operators maintained their games so this did not occur. But a theory could be made that putting the contact point at or below the ball centerline can only improve the playfield durability.

You should always double rubber the rounded top flippers on all game which use a 1 1/16" pinball.
The reason for this is that the die used to make the flippers did not change from the time a 1 1/8" pinball was used. When they went to a slightly smaller ball, it was discovered that the flipper struck the ball appreciably above the centerline. The quick fix was to install a second rubber ring on the flipper. Once the flat top flipper came to be, this was automatically corrected and a second ring was no longer required.

#3299 9 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I own a Flipper Fair. It's a keeper. Cross Town and Subway have the same layout, but Flipper Fair is the best.

Yes, identical gameplay to "Subway". It's interesting that "FF" is credited to Wayne Neyens, and "Subway" to Ed Krynski. Mr. Krynski had an easy one there. All the work was already done!

#3302 9 years ago

I'm definitely partial to the 2" flipper games, but really like many of the 3" flipper games too.
I have many of them in my collection, as does my good buddy Vic Camp. Really love "Gold Strike"/"El Dorado", "Free Fall", "Jacks Open"/"Lucky Hand", "Neptune/"Hit the Deck", "Pro Pool","Pin-Up", "Capt. Card"/"High Hand" (the punishers), and of course "Golden Arrow". I'm sure I'm leaving out many. A great many of the legendary multi-player games were also 3" flipper games. Too many to name. Drop target games were dominant. A golden age for Gottlieb pinball for sure.

#3304 9 years ago

Just toured the Picasa album. Superb restoration! I think I may have played this game once or twice, but didn't really pay it much mind. Next time I see one, I'll play it with more attention.

#3317 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I recently picked up a working GTB Universe from a local that was moving. The Universe is mostly original (including bg) with the exception of a couple of bells that were missing, and a GTB 70's style on/off switch with new power cord. Someone painted the legs too. Fun to play.
Also, I included a pic of my Pop-a-Card which is next to my Dimension. I picked up the Pop-a-Card along with a Captain Card (in storage) awhile back from deep in the woods of northern Wisconsin (cheese head territory). Those 2 have been getting a lot of play as of late. Around the corner from these is Abra, El Dorado, and Jacks Open.

Universe - col 005.JPG 287 KB

Universe - col 004.JPG 259 KB

Universe - col 011.JPG 253 KB

Universe - col 019.JPG 247 KB

Universe - col 020.JPG 266 KB

Universe - col 021.JPG 243 KB

Universe - col 009.JPG 223 KB

Universe - col 010.JPG 217 KB

Universe - col 014.JPG 272 KB

Universe - col 016.JPG 295 KB

You scored, dude!

#3320 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Yes I did. We snarf up woodrail here in Illinois every now and then. Nothing like you guys out east that have a chance to buy trailer loads at an auction

Yeah, well...

#3341 9 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

This is a tad belated, but I finished restoring my keeper Lucky Hand last month. The score motor board was a terrible mess when I got it. Somebody had removed all the lacing around the harnesses, so wires were hanging loose all over the place. I would have liked to properly redo the wax lacing, but learning the right technique was a headache I didn't want, so I used zip ties instead. In the unbundled mess of wires were also non-factory modifications that needed correcting. Fortunately I had another Lucky Hand to use as a reference in undoing these hacks. Once the wiring was fixed, I went about rebuilding everything else. A decagon unit in the 10k score reel was badly pitted, necessitating replacement from a parts machine. Everything else was a straightforward disassemble/clean/rebuild. Besides the mechanical rehabilitation, I also made some judicious touch-ups to the cabinet and used waterslide decals to make the keylines around the inserts nice and black again. I also used decals to restore the letters/numbers on the drop targets. Miscellaneous: new sticker for the coin door, side rails regrained, and total play meter (for tracking post-restore games) installed. Lastly, I lucked out and scored a Ron Webb reproduction backglass long after he sold out.
Pre-restoration: wiring mess on the left, reference on the right
Restored score motor board mechanics
Restored playfield mechanics
Restored playfield, high view
Restored playfield, low view
Restored cabinet, right view
Restored cabinet, front view
Restored cabinet, left view

Lucky Double Boards-56.JPG 356 KB

Lucky Restored Front-342.JPG 190 KB

Lucky Restored Left-671.JPG 239 KB

Lucky Restored Playfield High-48... 264 KB

Lucky Restored Playfield Low-832... 187 KB

Lucky Restored Internals High-81... 263 KB

Lucky Restored Right-253.JPG 223 KB

Lucky Restored Internals Low-529... 297 KB

Very nice!!!

2 weeks later
#3431 9 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Another North Jersey pinball collector has join our circle.Check out his line up.

Pictures2014 180.jpg 174 KB

Pictures2014 181.jpg 210 KB

Pictures2014 182.jpg 190 KB

Pictures2014 474.jpg 173 KB

Pictures2014 475.jpg 149 KB

Pictures2014 457.jpg 191 KB

Pictures2014 460.jpg 151 KB

Pictures2014 499.jpg 169 KB

You mean this WAS his line up. Many of these are gone now, replaced by DMD games. He loves his "Golden Arrow" though. This is the one I restored, and sold at the last Allentown show. It has a very nice home, and I still get to play it now and then!

3 weeks later
#3512 9 years ago

NICE!!!!

#3532 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

How do you like your Sunshine?

Man, you were reading my mind! I was going to ask the same thing about "Sunshine" since I've come across two for sale lately.

#3535 9 years ago

It's a drop dead gorgeous game. The two examples I've seen for sale recently are both nice. Gotta let them pass though.

1 week later
#3567 9 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Man this is an uneventful pin!!!

That's a euphemism for "this game sucks!" I said it, you didn't!

1 week later
#3609 9 years ago

Welcome. What is a green echidna? Is it like "a little green rosetta"?

#3628 9 years ago
Quoted from greenechidna:

That's an echidna.
Green Echidna was a proposed name for a business selling spikey coastal plants we were setting up a while back
We get echidnas in our garden and they are amazing. One of two egg laying mammals (monotremes) and appears on the Australian 5 cent coin.
No FZ reference here but I will offer up Yo Mama as the top track on SY and favorite album being Hot Rats.

echidna.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Sheesh! It looks like a cross between a porcupine and a Black & Decker drill!

#3645 9 years ago

Gottlieb's "Square Head" I picked up recently. These were photos the guy took and sent me.

Square Head Full Left.JPGSquare Head Full Left.JPG
Square Head Full Left.JPGSquare Head Full Left.JPG
Square Head playfield.JPGSquare Head playfield.JPG

Square Head left side.JPGSquare Head left side.JPG
#3648 9 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

Nice! How's she play?

It does play, but will need a little going over. For one, I'm going to remove the metal flippers and install the proper ones. I also have a better backglass that I'm going to install in it. I'm pretty sure I'll be going to the Ohio show and if so, I may bring her along. Could be for sale.

#3650 9 years ago

I have a place for those!

2 weeks later
#3782 9 years ago

That game is now high on my list! It's really gorgeous and a lot of fun too.

#3785 9 years ago

"KOD" is not easily replaced. "SS" is nice, but sacrificing a "KOD" for it may not have been wise. But, if you're comfortable with the move, that's your business, and I hope you enjoy your new game.

1 week later
#3904 9 years ago

I know some older Williams game have an extra fuse holder that's empty. It is used to switch the game between normal and high tap. All you do is change the position of the fuse. If you have fuses in both clips, one will blow. Check to see if this isn't the case with your game. Probably not, but I'm not as familiar with this vintage Williams game as the older ones.

#3905 9 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

Just found. Picking it up Saturday20150321_121104.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150321_121052.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150321_121110.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Wow, what's with the cabinet? The head is very yellowed, but the body is clean white. Could be mismatched halves.

#3910 9 years ago
Quoted from Cam:

Interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks!

I blew up the photo you posted, and it's not as I thought. It's a 15A 6V fuse, so it's for lighting. You should put a 15A fuse in that spot. If all the GI lights in the main body and the head are lighting, that fuse may only be for the coin entry lamps. In any case, since it's a fuse in a lamp circuit, it does not have any bearing on the game not starting.
Are you sure that there are credits on the game? If not, and the zero position switch on the credit unit isn't jumpered, the game won't start. You can ratchet up the credit reel by hand to add credits.
Then push the start button and see if it does anything.

#3914 9 years ago
Quoted from jjpm:

I hit it with some sand paper and a wire brush already. The hinge still looked really dull.

I did this step next. The hinge didn't shine up as well as I'd hoped, so I threw it into my tumbler which got it smooth, but didn't shine it up.

Never heard of this stuff. I have a lot of old rusty parts I'll try to clean up with this. Thanks!

Are you talking about sand blasting, or something else here?

Polish it up with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish, and if you have a powered buffing wheel, it should come out reasonably shiny.

#3919 9 years ago
Quoted from Cam:

You were bang on, I manually turned the credit wheel,pressed start and started a game! I will read up on the zero position switch and solder it.
After a few games everything seems to work good except for one bumper doesn't flash while the other does.
Thanks for your help!

I sometimes just pull back the insulation on the two wires going to the zero position switch and give them a twist or two so that they make contact. This is easily undone if you want to restore the original condition. It requires no tools, soldering iron or bending of switches. Give it a try.

2 weeks later
#3997 9 years ago

Ooh yeah! That's a score!

#4005 9 years ago

Vic worked his magic on the "no longer somewhat ragged Cross Town", he schlepped home in his Caddy a little over a week ago. Behold!852.jpeg852.jpeg
It's going to need a little more of his special touch, but it's playing through a game now, and looks (and smells!) worlds better than it did nine days ago.

#4010 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Jr. Vic doesn't have a lot of elbow room in his shop! looks like he is getting tight on space.

I keep telling him he needs to dig another basement. He could easily do it where he is, but alas- he's thinking about retiring to Florida in a few years! Get up there now while you still can!

#4011 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Some hot Inuit women here. They are so covered up though. Getting internet here is a bitch!

Get a generator and lots of gas and a Gottlieb "North Star"!

#4017 9 years ago

Wow, that's a nice "SJ". Wish I could find a "Free Fall" in similar condition.

#4018 9 years ago

Just took some photos of a "Square Head" I got a while back and just set up. It's playing as is, but will need some love. Could use a better backglass. Oddly, there are no lamps in the name section. Not on this one, I mean. I'll have to install some bulbs and see how bad the backglass really is.

20150413_194245.jpg20150413_194245.jpg
20150413_194212.jpg20150413_194212.jpg20150413_194613.jpg20150413_194613.jpg20150413_194659.jpg20150413_194659.jpg

#4021 9 years ago

They're loosely related, but "Egg Head" has the earlier shallower cabinet and side drains. "Square Head" has the mid-depth cabinet which was used until "Spirit of '76", and has two somewhat large gobble hole drains, plus the center drain. It's a decent player, but not much strategy really. Whether you complete "X's and O's" is pretty much up to chance. "Square Head" resets after every ball. That big trip bank under the playfield must get a real workout!

#4022 9 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

Nice, JR. Are Square Head and Egg Head basically the same game? There's a guy not too far from me who's been offering an Egg Head for about $1k. Looks like a really nice game but wasn't sure. What's your opinion on it?

It would have to be an exceptionally nice example for $1000. Even at that, I don't really care for the "replay version".

#4023 9 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Both have cute artwork but I bet Square Head is the better player.

I like the playfield art on "Egg Head", and the red pop bumper caps with the blue skirts is very attractive too, but don't really care for the backglass art. "Square Head" has a great backglass; very cartoony and detailed. Classic Roy Parker. The playfield and cabinet graphics are very attractive as well. Could be a better looker than a player, but not a bad player by any means. "Egg Head" is a very difficult game to beat.

#4024 9 years ago

Just noticed on ipdb that "Egg Head" is a year and a half older than "Square Head". That obviously explains the difference in the cabinet styles. I didn't realize there was that much time between the two. Same with "King Pin" and "Pin-Up". Quite a space between those two as well.

#4026 9 years ago

Many don't know this, but the term "Square Head" is an ethnic slur against Scandinavian people. If you look at the artwork on the game, you'll see some details that are a little disparaging to the characters depicted. For example, the small child at the top of the playfield, as well as the young boy playing marbles on the backglass have full flowing mustaches. So put this game in the list of those that are a bit "politically incorrect".

#4027 9 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I would hope Square Head is more fun to play, because Egg Head was ridiculously punishing with those huge side drains and rebounds everywhere. It's hard enough to luck out with a tic-tac-toe on the way down... forget getting the ball back up to the top row.
Both games would benefit from some kind of skill shot which would bagatelle the ball back to the top again. Once the ball is down in the lower area it stays there... and not for long.
I think both games are more about the art than the gameplay, but if I had to choose one it would be Square Head.

Yeah, I'd definitely say "Square Head" is the better game. If the flippers are working correctly though, it isn't really difficult to get the ball back to the top of the playfield. My biggest gripe is that the whole idea of getting the side lanes and gobble holes lit for an extra ball is totally random and involves very little player strategy or shotmaking.

#4030 9 years ago

I put some lamps in the name section of the "Square Head". It's pretty much hammered, but it looks better illuminated. I'll be springing for a new glass I guess.

20150414_175322.jpg20150414_175322.jpg

#4032 9 years ago

I'm not sure, but I think the glass has already been sealed. Gotta check again. Anyone out there have a better used original glass?

#4052 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Nice! My Fifth Dimension came with an Aquarius.
FifthDimension.jpg

And a "Sunshine"!

#4060 9 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

My third Dimension, plus a CPR backglass. 20150409_132721.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150409_132633.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150409_132651.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

You mean you have three now? Hey, sell me the one at Kevin's!

1 week later
#4076 9 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

My latest additions. Palm Beach is a 1952 bingo and quite rare.Palm Beach 002.jpg (Click image to enlarge)Palm Beach 014.jpg (Click image to enlarge)Palm Beach 007.jpg (Click image to enlarge)Palm Beach 008.jpg (Click image to enlarge)Palm Beach 005.jpg (Click image to enlarge)Palm Beach 003.jpg (Click image to enlarge)Fireball 044.jpg (Click image to enlarge)Fireball complete 2.jpg (Click image to enlarge)Fireball 062.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Fireball 058 a.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Really love the cabinet art on those Bally bingos with the tropical theme. Gorgeous game, dude!

#4108 8 years ago

Yup. Very similar to Williams "21". Tough to win a special on that game.

1 week later
#4229 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Damn, I need to get me a woody...

They have little blue pills for that these days.

#4262 8 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

My two favs, Lucky Hand and Capt Card add-a-balls.IMG_7033.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
Wayne Neyens playing my EM mata hariIMG_0624.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
Slick Chick - the topper is signed by Wayne Neyens.IMG_1533.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Wow, when and where did Wayne play your game? I see on the "Slick Chick" topper it says "AKA Party Girls". Yup. That was the original name of that game. They thought it was a little too suggestive at the time and came up with the name "Slick Chick" from the name of a local diner, or so I've heard.

2 weeks later
#4384 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Turns out the key from Surf Side also fits River Boat and Nimblepin brought over some nice used legs. Too bad he left before we found the key. Set it up, plugged it in and have been playing for hours.
Thanks Jim!
DSCN3650.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

That's a nice looking "River Boat". If that's an original BG, it sure looks great. The playfield looks great as well. For some reason, that era Williams games always seem to have an issue with the front of the cabinet.

#4387 8 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Grabbed my second EM yesterday. Timing was good for Memorial Day weekend.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Nice game. I remember playing this game for the first time on location when it first came out. Walked into a bowling alley in Elmsford, NY on an unusually warm summer day here in the northeast (like 104*). They had a row of new games in there, and this was one of them. I remember spanking it pretty good too! Ah, memories!

#4402 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

The cabinet paint job looks like new. I can't tell the difference from the original. Great job!

That is the original paint on Vic's "Cross Town".
It was in pretty good condition when we pulled the game out of the previous owner's garage. Vic did some touch ups on it. He did a great job on the rest of the game. The playfield is not the one that was in the game. He was fortunate to find a better one, but he did a ton of work on that one as well. I can't wait to play it.

#4464 8 years ago

I agree! It was stored in a basement for many years in non working condition. The tech replaced a burned out flipper coil, score step up units stripped and cleaned because they were seized solid, lots of corroded relay contacts cleaned, many failed lamps replaced, missing small bell unit replaced with a new one and two damaged legs replaced.
What's interesting is this "UTAH" pinball machine has flippers but they don't look like flippers. Can you find them in the playfield photo?

Yup. Those United "flippers in disguise". Pretty cool actually. Nice game!

3 weeks later
#4664 8 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Picked up this beauty on Tuesday night. Only 17,000 plays. This is the same game that JR sold at the Allentown in May 2015.GA 6-17-15 078.JPG

Vic, you're my hero for grabbing that game. You paid up for it, but I think it's well worth it. Now it has a perfect NOS glass in it too. Can't wait to see that gem in your collection! It's gotta go downstairs ASAP! That game, "Cross Town" and "Top Card". I'll help you move them when I get a chance.
BTW- time flies. That was May 2014; last year's Allentown show.

1 week later
#4742 8 years ago
Quoted from Pneuma:

Finally got a Big Hit. My lineup!

machines.jpg

Met you at the Allentown show when you picked up that "Spanish Eyes". That game played great.

4 weeks later
#4878 8 years ago

Whoa, cool! Never saw the whole game before, but NOS backglasses for it are around. I've seen a few of those, but never the whole game.

#4888 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

An update: I mentioned a few weeks ago that it was my wife's unexpectedly favorable response to my purchase of the Gottlieb Vulcan that catapulted my interest in EMs. Well, she got back from Italy (lucky stiff!) last night and saw and played the Cow Poke and the Atlantis for the first time. One game on the Atlantis, and she beat my high score, got the special, etc. I was delighted. I can beat her with no effort on any of the SS pins, but she has an affinity for EMs, and so she is now being drawn into the hobby. I couldn't be happier to have made this discovery. Great stuff!
The hard part is going to be letting go eventually of some SS pins to make more room. The nice part is that I can buy multiple EMs for what any of my SS pins is worth. Not a bad tradeoff.

Now with your wife's support, there will be no stopping you! Welcome to the EM crowd; "reel" pinball!

#4890 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I am so excited about this game. Winning 26 replays in one go is an amazing buzz - hope I do it! Will be a while before I play it as so much to do and other games to work on. This could well be a true keeper. It wasn't cheap but compared to modern SS games it was way better value - for me anyway.
Sweet Add A Line - 1955.
P/f was better in real life than the photos - not often that happens Cabinet 100% original, no touch up's. Repro backglass. Looking for an original if anyone has - highly unlikely!
Will do a video to show the 26 replay feature and put on youtube in next 6 - 12 months.
IMG_8671.jpg
IMG_8672.jpg
IMG_8673.jpg

That game looks great. I've never played one. Looks cool!

#4897 8 years ago

Huh? What happened? Now it looks like everyone else's "Rocket"!

20150803_172923.jpg20150803_172923.jpg

#4898 8 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

New (to me) Neptune!nep1.jpg nep2.jpg

Glad you got it. This one doesn't have that crazy fault either where the WOWs stay on.

#4905 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

that can not be the same one! jr how can it be real dark blue now light blue....
no way the lighting could change it that much

OK, enough of this gag. Today I removed the original glass and sealed it with Triple Thick. I put it in a safe place in my basement and installed a plexiglass repro I bought a few years ago from Jeff McAfee at Classic Arcades. The repop is actually a pretty good one. For now, I'll leave it installed in the head. When I'm done with the game, I'll put the original back in but for now it's tucked away for safety.

#4925 8 years ago
Quoted from gottem:

New (to me) Neptune!nep1.jpg nep2.jpg

Got a chuckle out of this. I immediately thought of "Neptune".

20150805_140300.jpg20150805_140300.jpg

#4927 8 years ago

I don't get it. But it's pretty funny that it's New York "Texas Toast"!

#4932 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

The "Catacomb entrance" on the playfield clearly resembles a toast!

OK, I see it now. Yes, it looks like a slice of bread. Again, I didn't see it when viewing Pinside on my phone.

#4980 8 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Gay Time in the line up..
GayTime-8-7-15 116.JPG
GayTime-8-7-15 117.JPG GayTime-8-7-15 120.JPG GayTime-8-7-15 122.JPG

It's really hard to imagine how well preserved that game is considering it's older than the majority of us (and we ain't no spring chickens)!

#4981 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

webbing done right

20150810_202440.jpg 20150810_202706.jpg 20150810_202454.jpg

You're a regular "webmaster"! Nice work indeed!

#4996 8 years ago

My baby!

1 week later
#5017 8 years ago

Like this one? These woodies just seem to be finding me lately!
20150822_172636.jpg20150822_172636.jpg

#5019 8 years ago

I sealed the backglass today and have plastics and roto stickers coming from Australia. The glass has some issues, but it'll do for now. I'll probably eventually get a repop from Shay. Hope to have the game ready for "woodrail row" at the upcoming York, PA show.

#5023 8 years ago

Glad you nailed that "BQ". You have a nice start there.

#5025 8 years ago

I believe they are "Flipper Clown", "Gaucho", and "Bowling Queen" in reverse order.

2 weeks later
#5054 8 years ago

All of these export versions have five symbols of some type on the backglass to covertly indicate extra balls. It was, of course illegal to win anything, including extra balls on the pins in Italy.

#5076 8 years ago

Wow, Vic. That game looks cool. It'll be a real beauty when you're done with it, I'm sure. Can't wait to play it. Although you are the bingo king, you told me that you have never played a United bingo. That's really amazing. I guess Ballys were far and away more common. Glad you rescued this one.

2 weeks later
#5113 8 years ago
Quoted from dar8dar:

this is for my use only don't have people over
to play. I don't sell machines anymore I keep
them all. after I die I won't give a shit

Sheesh!

#5129 8 years ago

Jackpot!

#5137 8 years ago

Wayner, is that a repro backglass?

#5148 8 years ago

Not quite done yet. Getting down to the wire for the York show. Almost there. 20151004_201943.jpg20151004_201943.jpg20151004_201932.jpg20151004_201932.jpg20151004_201847.jpg20151004_201847.jpg20151004_201913.jpg20151004_201913.jpg

#5159 8 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Can't wait to see this at the show!!

There should be a good representation of woodrails and bingos at the York show this year. I'm bringing a "Square Head" as well as the "Royal Flush".

3 weeks later
#5226 8 years ago

I actually stopped playing them for many years for this reason when the SS machines arrived.
Bruce

Bleep, bloop, blip... it was horrible!!!

Quoted from o-din:

I didn't like the early solid states when they came out but played some Black Knight in the local arcade after the EMs went away. It seemed like the best of the bunch at the time. Still like that one. Nowadays I will try them all but some of those sound effects they used are still pretty annoying.

I thought "Black Knight" was a blast when I first saw it in my favorite bowling alley's gameroom. I knew then and there that there was hope for pinball amid the video game invasion.

#5228 8 years ago

20151008_173430a.JPG20151008_173430a.JPGFinally getting around to posting a photo or two of my 1957 Gottlieb "Royal Flush" as it appeared at the recent York, PA show.

20151008_173845.jpg20151008_173845.jpg
20151008_173856a.JPG20151008_173856a.JPG

#5230 8 years ago

Thanks, Wayner! It got a lot of play at the show, and didn't miss a beat.
My buddy brought the very nice "Crossroads" next to my game. That's a great game!

#5234 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Awesome looking Royal Flush jr!

Thanks, Hoov!

#5252 8 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Yeah, I never got that.

Never thought much about it. Just a guy bowling.

#5259 8 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Just about finished with my Gottlieb Top Card. I'm gonna install new flipper plungers and links along with coil stops (I ran out). I'll post a video soon.
Top Card.jpg
Pops.jpg

The second photo is an award winner! That's simply awesome!

1 week later
#5274 8 years ago

"Lite A Card" looks similar to "Race Time" which is a great playing game especially when two play.

2 weeks later
#5291 8 years ago

Repro playfield no doubt. Very, very nice!

#5297 8 years ago

That "WF" looks ultra cherry!

1 week later
#5399 8 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Growing up, I hated 2" flipper games because they were, often, old machines Now, I love them. I only have 2 machines with 3" flippers. Wizard! and Top Card. I also own a Crosstown (Which I feel the flippers are too far apart) and have often wondered how installing 3" flippers would improve the play.

It would bastardize the game and make it ridiculously easy. My first pin ever was a Gottlieb "Hearts and Spades". Someone had converted it to 3" flippers, but they maintained the normal gap by moving the holes farther apart. Still, the game was way too easy to beat, and got very boring very quickly. My brother has a "Subway" and he once made a set of extended flippers for it out of some type of plastic. He had them installed for some time, but it made the game way too easy to beat, and since it's an add-a-ball game, made game times ridiculously long. He has since restored it to normal condition with the original flippers. Designers knew what they were doing when they came up with a game design, and they usually achieved a good balance of playability and return for the operator. That, after all, was their job.

#5405 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Flipper Fair/Subway (AAB) share the same layout as Cross Town (replay)... but Flipper Fair was designed first in 1961 during the "AAB golden age" which had no replay equivalents. This layout was originally designed to be an AAB game only. That's why the flippers are so far apart because the primary challenge (and fun) of this game is to keep earning more balls than you drain with those risky center shots.
I'm generally not an AAB person because most of them play and look like inferior adaptations. But this layout? Gotta be AAB. Just doesn't work without it... too punishing.
If I owned a Cross Town and was limited to five balls, I'd want a narrower gap or a center post. Five balls with no extras to earn = quick death.

If you owned a "Cross Town", your would soon get used to the bounces and angles and the wide flipper gap. You learn to adjust to the game as it is. It really isn't bad once you get used to it.

1 week later
#5413 8 years ago

A vast improvement for sure! Hope you can find a backglass. I have never seen one available for that game.

#5416 8 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I am sure that Steve at back glass restoration could fix xgizzle's glass

Yes, that's always an option, but I think he said in another thread that he didn't want to go that route.

Quoted from xgizzle:

I got this thing dirt cheap and a pro backglass restore job is not in the budget at the moment(maybe later).

I suspect he will though.

#5425 8 years ago

Would much rather save a game than part it out. I still cringe every time I think of that knucklehead down south who chopped up a beautiful and working Bally "Hay Ride" as well as a Williams "Jolly Roger" and tried to sell off the parts on eBay. What a fool!

#5429 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I believe he was the same guy who parted out the Gottlieb "Sing-A-Long" as well that had a nice Playfield. That one really got my goat the most. I am happy to say I have not parted out a single machine to date, and hopefully will not ever have to unless the machine is completely shot.
Ken

Yeah, I think you're right. I forgot about that "Sing Along". I was going to tell my brother to try to get the cabinet from him, but he probably already used it for firewood by then.

1 week later
#5511 8 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

..an australian themed pinball..and one that never, ever turns up for sale down here

Doesn't turn up around here much either. I don't know if I've ever seen one for real.

2 weeks later
#5563 8 years ago

"North Star" is such a great game! It could be the best wedgehead, neck and neck with "King of Diamonds" for sure.

#5576 8 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

B U C
C A N
E E R S
Go Bucs!
Hey hey Tampa Bay.........................................

I think they went!

#5578 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I've been to Vic's and it is amazing how he has squeezed so many games into the basement he has. Dimensionally my basement is like 28 x 28 but when you include the stairs, furnace, half bath, closet, partition wall, etc. I have room to set up 10.

I must have missed you when you came to Vic's. I'm there quite often. Did you make a pingrimage, or were you in NJ for another reason?

1 week later
#5628 8 years ago
Quoted from Shiny_balls:

Close up details....before/after
9eb6e99f14a9e664ee3462df3041c553b5f3ed8e_(resized).jpg
IMG_2410_(resized).JPG

Cabinets of this era came from the factory with noticeable mill marks and sloppier graphics. The quality was slipping a little; they probably cut a few corners with the cabinet manufacturer to save a few dollars.

#5638 8 years ago

Gotta love those "player" machines. Just fix the mechanicals, rerubber, and wax the playfield. They're not all meant to be museum pieces!

#5639 8 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

image_(resized).jpeg

Wow, that's scary!

#5644 8 years ago

Those games are in fine condition. A bit better than just "players". Gotta love EM!

1 week later
#5690 8 years ago

You can just wad up little balls of newspaper and stick them into the bulb sockets if you want to keep debris out of them. Use tweezers or a needlenose pliers to remove them when you're done. Ditto on the "after" photos. Cool looking pin!

#5698 8 years ago
Quoted from sysprog:

I posted this pic in a different thread, but I'll toss it out here too. Picked this up this weekend, backbox only, but I can't find it on IPDB. Any guesses what mfgr and year this is from?
Dana

image_(resized).jpeg

That's really cool. Where did you find it?

#5730 8 years ago

He's speechless!!!

#5742 8 years ago

It's not about pool,
It's not about space...
No big, ripe boobies in your face...
It's not real flashy,
But fast and fun...
My Williams "Blue Chip"...
It's finally done!

20160228_202935_(resized).jpg20160228_202935_(resized).jpg

20160228_202955_(resized).jpg20160228_202955_(resized).jpg

#5743 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

That era of Bally had some great art....... Captain Fantastic & Old Chicago too

Yeah, and those backglasses never get flaky!

#5746 8 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Nice looking Blue Chip, great job!

Yeah, it'll need a bit of tweaking, but it played through a game no problem from the get go. Didn't go whole hog with the cabinet and all. It was pretty decent to start with, but just took everything apart and cleaned and polished. Gotta still change out all the lamps, and a few odds and ends. Thanks.

#5749 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Bally screened in house, gottlieb and the others contracted out the work. they must of had a better process or better material.

Yeah, but not all Bally backglasses held up like those of that era. Count in "Flip Flop" among others. Earlier multiplayers such as "The Wiggler", "Capersville", "Rockmakers", etc. are always shot when you find them. They must have gone to a better process at some point.
Maybe they acid etched the glass slightly before laying down the ink. Who knows.

#5750 8 years ago

Man, that "Wizard!" is super sharp!

3 weeks later
#5831 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I love Spot Bowler! Where did you find this one?

Tuna_Delight had this one listed here, and on eBay. I saw it wind down. Woulda' loved to have gotten it, but shipping is prohibitive across country. Surprising it didn't fetch more. I scored something else on eBay just previous to this one ending. Details to follow.

#5840 8 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Nice restore! I just restored a Mayfair.

IMG_6517_(resized).JPGIMG_6524_(resized).JPGIMG_6518_(resized).JPGIMG_6528_(resized).JPG

Wow, you had a "raised manhole" there! Hey, contact "Otaku". He posted photos of a pretty rough one he just got. It's got a nice playfield though so it's a worthy restoration candidate.

1 week later
#5873 8 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Have you ever played Wild Life/Jungle/Jungle King, Vic? I own a beautiful Wild Life (2 player, Jungle is 4 respectively) and it was cool to read elsewhere that it was a wedgehead made for overseas, which it looks like he owns. Great game (with great art), you have to get the bonus all the way up (by hitting the rollovers, not always easy to hit!) to light the specials and it's difficult! Myself and others have yet to do it, but it's still fairly new in my collection. One of my favorites.
12670362_10205981350281358_1783652506394943965_n_(resized).jpg

"Jungle King" is the domestic add-a-ball wedgehead version. "Jungle Life" is the export one. "JK" is a lot of fun. It doesn't have the center spinner as do the multi-player versions, but it's one of the only single player games with a bonus ladder, and even double bonus. I used to play one on location many years ago in the dark corner of a bowling alley barroom.

#5874 8 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

There is really not much to dislike about the game.

Well, many don't care for the backglass artwork. Admittedly, it isn't the best, and doesn't feature the buxom Jane that the other two do.

#5896 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

True. But it looks like it is going to Ken instead. And this will probably be arriving from England in the next few days.
s-l1600_(resized).jpg

That glass looks so good it looks weird! I have honestly never seen a good one, so finally seeing a good one is strange!

#5897 8 years ago

Didn't first notice the few flaws it has, but they're relatively minor. C'mon Shay! Make this glass!!!

#5919 8 years ago

Another "Melody" in a "Sing Along" cabinet. How does this happen? Did they maybe make some that way? Do the serial numbers match?

#5965 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

2_(resized).jpg
3_(resized).jpg
4_(resized).jpg
1_(resized).jpg
here is a before and after of one I did this weekend

I wish you lived closer to me!

#5989 8 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Must be his own 2 player conversion? Keep in mind OXO is 4 player and that one is 2 player. Nothing comes up on Google for it, and there is no factory 2-player variant to OXO.

Otaku, I think you're the man for the job!!!

#5990 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

define close? you are closer than most.
all the pin guys i know are 1 hour plus from me. no one within the hour radius.
i am kind of on a pinball desert island....

I've actually been down your way a couple of times recently. Three hours or so each way.

#5999 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Jungle is one of the most desirable games of the early 60s. Boston pinball price guide has an average of $750 up to $2150 paid for it, so I think you are doing OK if we are talking about the same machine.

Did he specify if it's a Williams or a Gottlieb?
If it's the Gottlieb, meh!

#6013 8 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

All wax has some sort of solvents in it to make the wax soft enough to apply. Those solvents are petroleum distillates. Look up the MSDS of your favorite wax and you'll see them in there.
I found that out the hard way early in my pin career when I used some Johnsons paste wax and it smeared/dissolved the keyhole lines that I had gone over with a sharpie.
Petroleum based solvents in wax and the fact that "100% carnauba" wax is no where near 100% carnauba have to be the biggest misunderstandings about wax. It demonstrates how good the marketing is from these companies.
Wax Police out.

Oddly, I use Mother's Pure Carnauba Wax with no cleaners on playfields where I've done Sharpie touch ups and Acrylic touch ups because it doesn't seem to affect those areas like other waxes do. Never had a problem with it in that regard.

#6014 8 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Here is some progress on my Jungle pin. This is the game I picked up for $40. I just got it running this past weekend but still has some minor adjustments to finish.....like cleaning all those score reels. I cleaned only player one and adjust the contacts on all the others just so I could get the game running. I still need to redo the cabinet coin door etc... I've been trying to use parts that are still good that Ive replaced from some of my other games. Like the posts, came off of an old game but I cleaned them and painted them with glossy white and i think they turned out just fine. Not trying to sink to much money into this game because I am giving it to my father in law. I did spent some money on a used backglass and some plastics I got from another pinsider.

jungle1_(resized).jpgIMG_6948_(resized).JPGIMG_6950_(resized).JPG

Obviously that's a different backglass. It's funny how that one seems to fade easily and uniformly with the red area turning almost white.

#6092 8 years ago

Coulrophobia- the "in" thing!

#6094 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This thread has morphed into "Show us your EM Clowns"

Yeah, how about no more clowning around?

1 week later
#6101 7 years ago

It's a beauty! Nice work.

#6103 7 years ago

I have a similar situation with "Free Fall". Always wanted a nice one. I have everything to put together a pretty decent one now. Just gotta get it all together.

#6131 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

They sold the replay version to that "play pinball on a train ride" place in PA It's the most ridiculous thing ever

My brother and I did the "pinball train" thing last summer. I thought it was pretty cool. We had the pinball coach all to ourselves. Got to play for an hour before the train departed, then the crazy stuff really began once we got rolling. It's a blast playing pinball in a swaying antique railroad coach as we rumbled through field and farm! It was a unique experience for sure!

#6139 7 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Yesterday's find.....
Name all of them - should be easy except for the P & B. The Sing along cab has been re-painted.

Pins are too easy! P&B is Williams "World Series"?

#6149 7 years ago

I'd love to find me a nice "Aloha". That's a game you don't come across very often. Love the tropical themed games.

#6150 7 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Is that a sample North Star I see?

Good eye picking out "North Star", but that's not a sample game. The sample has the blue stripe to the left of the coin door, and the red one under the shooter. This one looks like a regular production model with the red stripe on the left side.

#6153 7 years ago

I see a smidgeon of a "Kings & Queens" as well, correct?

#6154 7 years ago

Not sure about the wedgehead with it's back to us, but I'll take a stab at it. "Sure Shot"?

#6157 7 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

That's an El Dorado that will end up in Florida when I'm done with it.

That was my next guess!

1 week later
#6170 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Step 1: Take out those colored LEDs they put beneath the score card numbers!

Are you sure you're 17?

#6179 7 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

1973 Bally Nip-It is now 100% working and I just re-bulbed the whole machine with new #47's, #51's in the pop bumpers and some 5 fresh NOS GE #455's flashers (rare as hen's teeth) in the back glass to make "Bally" and "Nip-It" blink. This game only has 6500 original plays. Incredible condition!

Wow! Just wow!

#6180 7 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

I just picked this up yesterday on CL.
My holy grail machine. I guess I can stop collecting now.
The guy that sold it to me kept it professionally maintained.
Even though it is far from perfect, it plays great.
Never in a million years did I ever think I would score one of these!

Nice find! Great game.

#6182 7 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Even though it is far from perfect, it plays great.

Well then, pictures really do lie. That game looks sweet!

1 week later
#6251 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You don't really notice the clown after a while. And drop targets every where.

Is this the one that was in Cape May, NJ?

#6253 7 years ago

Where did you get it from?

#6264 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Not what I was expecting...
The art is in really nice original shape. At least I don't have to worry about that sander...
What's next, Goo Gone?
For the actual painted parts (front of head, top of head) might just try plain alcohol to start.
Sheesh, some people. At least it offered a nice layer of protection, it had definitely been there for quite a while.

Did the game have side rails or did you remove them? You might need a very strong solvent to remove that adhesive residue. I don't think alcohol will cut it. Whatever you use, be outdoors and wear protective gear; gloves, respirator and safety goggles. I've found that a good method is to lay folded rags over an area, and soak the rags with the solvent. Let them sit for a while, and periodically check to see how much the adhesive has softened. When it's soft enough, use a plastic scraper to remove the bulk of it, then wipe off as much as you can with the solvent soaked rags. I stripped a cabinet once with "Goof Off", and afterward I felt like it took several months off my life!

2 weeks later
#6318 7 years ago

Ach! Is the entire unit missing, or just the card flags? You can get replacement flags and the stickers at pbresource.com.

#6330 7 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

Thanks for the heads up; I checked out the site and see they do have the metal flags, which is what I need.

They are attached with tiny rivets which should be included. Maybe Steve at PBR could suggest a suitable tool or the best way to secure the new rivets. I would use a very small drill bit to remove the old ones. If the bit is very sharp, you can probably just twirl it with your fingers to adequately remove the soft brass rivet.

#6331 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

very nice score, majorettes is not an easy game to find. took me quite some time. mine is next up it needs a repaint bad.
i did score one today also very low play 22k el do. cab is a little yellow but is pretty nice almost no wear. looks like has no pf wear, pf a little dirty to be sure. back glass has some speckling but shay owes me a glass so this might be it.
a shout out to pinbee who place it in my lap.

Wow! Nice "El Dorado" for sure!

#6333 7 years ago

That's a hot little line-up!

#6349 7 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

One of my 3 Dimensions

Pinball in 3D!

#6370 7 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Here's my Lady Luck I was fortunate to find in a home just 2 miles from my house.

Man, that's an old picture, Vic. A lot has changed since then.

#6436 7 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

I picked up this gem this past weekend. Was on my wish list, just thought I would never find one. Works 100%, just needs a full restoration.

Seems to be a lot of these around lately.

#6482 7 years ago
Quoted from kangourou:

Received my SPACE WALK this weekend.
I'm HAPPY !

What is the serial number?

#6488 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i my case that would be in the bathroom

I don't believe that. It would certainly be in your workshop, Dave!

#6491 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

jr in the bathroom it would have my unwavering attention
in the shop there would be to many distractions

But I'm sure you spend more time in your shop than the bathroom, no? Otherwise, you've got issues!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 249.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 24.98
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
$ 5.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

£ 49.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
718 posts in this topic match your search for posts by jrpinball. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-show-us-your-em-pinball-machines/page/1?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.