By Rat_Tomago

4 years ago

Stats

• 9,829 posts
  • 542 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by AlexF
  • Topic is favorited by 141 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6,238 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0246 (resized).JPG
IMG_0248 (resized).JPG
IMG_0260 (resized).JPG
IMG_0261 (resized).JPG
IMG_0258 (resized).JPG
IMG_0253 (resized).JPG
IMG_0247 (resized).JPG
IMG_0250 (resized).JPG
IMG_0249 (resized).JPG
IMG_0245 (resized).JPG
20171015_215949 (resized).jpg
20171015_220018-1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2537 (resized).JPG
IMG_7773 (resized).JPG
IMG_7772 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg

There are 9829 posts in topic. You are on page 194 of 197.
#9651 31 days ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Recently picked up this 4 Roses. BG is pretty rough. But the reverse wedge looks good between my two wedges. Cab was covered in decades of nicotine stains, pf pretty dirty and because game so difficult to win, someone had put posts in outlines, in three places!!!! Also had totally frozen red side stepper unit, and a couple bumper issues. Still missing chime unit and bell from backbox, so looking for replacement, but not critical now. Overall nice machine and fun but frustrating to play.

Very attractive and unique game. Love those huge lower corner plastics.

#9652 31 days ago

4 Roses is cool but violent nudging is necessary to save the ball from those tiny outlanes! I took the tilt off... helped!

#9653 31 days ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

4 Roses is cool but violent nudging is necessary to save the ball from those tiny outlanes! I took the tilt off... helped!

Yep, finding those "tiny" out lanes are like giant vacuum cleaners. And while tilt not off, the only thing left hanging through the tilt mech hole is the wire below the bob.

#9654 30 days ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I took the tilt off

#9655 30 days ago

I just finished shopping my EM Cleopatra not too long ago. One of these days, I'd like to do a proper restoration. Originally, I didn't think I'd like the gameplay so much, but after giving it some time, the game has really grown on me. Classic risk/reward strategies at play, with dangerous shots being the most valuable (going for that lit 5000 point switch is a death sentence). I also like how it's not enough just to hammer at the drop targets. You have to really aim your way back to the top to match the rollovers as well--not easy! Otherwise, you've literally completed nothing.

The best part, for me though, is the gorgeous backglass artwork. I definitely prefer it over the SS version. Oh, and the guts of the machine. Something about seeing the game jam packed with relays and switches just to accomplish the same task that the CPU of the SS version can do with ease is a testament to the ingenuity that went into these titles. I especially like the way the game mysteriously clicks and clacks as the steppers "scan" the bonus lights to find scenarios where you've matched both colors. It intelligently ignores the entire scanning process if the game doesn't sense that the player has made any matches. Pretty smart.

IMG_6785 (resized).JPG

IMG_6786 (resized).JPG

IMG_6787 (resized).JPG

#9656 30 days ago

Very nice Cleo, my SS version is jealous.

#9657 30 days ago
Quoted from SirScott:

Until you have played this one, don't judge taking the tilt off. At least that is better than the previous owner of my game who put plastic posts with rubber rings covering half the out lanes.

#9658 30 days ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Until you have played this one, don't judge taking the tilt off.

I set the tilt on 4 Roses tite when I had it so it would take real skill to succeed. Pretty much the way I have all my games.

It is called an anti cheat device for a reason, and being able to cheat at pinball takes all the fun out of it IMO.

#9659 30 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

It is called an anti cheat device for a reason, and being able to cheat at pinball takes all the fun out of it IMO.

I hear ya, but 4 Roses is awfully chancey... to the point where if you can't give it a strong nudge, the game is playing you instead of the other way around.

#9660 30 days ago

It's your game so do whatever makes you happy.

At my place we compete on single player as well as multi player games so be warned, you shake too hard, you lose.

#9661 30 days ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Nic...that's a cardinal sin in pinball! You might as well take off the glass too to control the ball.
All I can say is how the mighty have fallen.

#9662 30 days ago

LOL no worries... save the drama for a new daytime soap: Tilts Of Our Lives.

4 Roses wasn't getting played by anyone because it was constantly tilting. Love the artwork but gameplay-wise it felt quite different from anything else on the floor... almost like a slot-machine due to the difficulty.

Ultimately this too-chancey nature and lack of point bonus for running the red/yellow advances to the top caused it to leave the collection. Would rather get 500 points than a special for working so hard to reach the finish line. Insult to injury!

Could have installed a 500-pt relay to do the job, but in the end the geometry proved to be a bit too drainey for me.

*shrug* but hey, at least I re-installed the tilt before it left... :p

#9663 30 days ago

Nico, sorry to get you in trouble. Lol but I understand, thought my Drop a Card was one of the hardest games to play ( certainly has the most frustrating problem to track down ) but 4 Roses definetly more challenging. Even with tilt at least sensitive setting. Of course like scoring a goal in Soccer, when you do well, feels great.

#9664 30 days ago

I'm not too fond of games with wildly inconsistent scoring regardless of skill level. Generally the pros should be able to distinguish themselves most of the time except for the occasional breakout game.

Wasn't happening that way on 4 Roses. Too many 300-400 scores for the pros, and 600-900 for beginners. Is this a pinball or a slot machine?

#9665 30 days ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I'm not too fond of games with wildly inconsistent scoring regardless of skill level. Generally the pros should be able to distinguish themselves most of the time except for the occasional breakout game.
Wasn't happening that way on 4 Roses. Too many 300-400 scores for the pros, and 600-900 for beginners. Is this a pinball or a slot machine?

I find that happens with some games. When you first get it and are just batting the ball around you may have some stellar scores. Once you learn the game a bit and are focused on trying to achieve certain goals the scores can drop. Beginners may be more focused on just keeping the ball in play rather than making specific shots. It seems counterintuitive but can sometimes result in a better game.

#9666 30 days ago
Quoted from AlexF:

....Once you learn the game a bit and are focused on trying to achieve certain goals the scores can drop. Beginners may be more focused on just keeping the ball in play rather than making specific shots....

Sums up all my games. Once I understand the game my score drops. How long do I wait until it starts to rise again?

Better at restoring them I guess.

#9667 30 days ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I find that happens with some games. When you first get it and are just batting the ball around you may have some stellar scores. Once you learn the game a bit and are focused on trying to achieve certain goals the scores can drop. Beginners may be more focused on just keeping the ball in play rather than making specific shots. It seems counterintuitive but can sometimes result in a better game.

Matches my theory about how I play vs my wife.

1) She takes all the shots and will in general beat me half the time.

2) I'm a "high risk, high reward" shooter and when I'm cooking will bury her by a factor of 5x-10x when I'm on fire.

Our last game of Moon Shot she had around a 1500 score, I rolled the reels to 105,371.

#9668 29 days ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I have only had the machine for about a month, and with all the "make it easier" modifications have just this past week got the machine playing like originally designed. But finding that scores vary wildly and haven't "won" a free game since. Will keep it for a while and see how I like it long term. It does look good between the two Gottlieb Wedge heads.

#9669 29 days ago

Snangri La is unique in scoring. Everything is one at a time. Until the 300 is lit.

#9670 29 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Our last game of Moon Shot she had around a 1500 score, I rolled the reels to 105,371

Wow, does she still want to "compete" with you?

#9671 29 days ago
Quoted from DCRand:

I have only had the machine for about a month, and with all the "make it easier" modifications have just this past week got the machine playing like originally designed. But finding that scores vary wildly and haven't "won" a free game since. Will keep it for a while and see how I like it long term.

Hate to say it, but some games do tend to play themselves more than others. It takes time to discover whether the geometry is at fault or simply a temporary string of bad luck.

This is why I sold Flash Gordon... every other game might as well have popped open the coin door and punched me in the stomach regardless of what I did. Too chancey for me.

#9672 29 days ago

Flash Gordon is the solid state game that separates the men from the boys.

#9673 29 days ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Wow, does she still want to "compete" with you?

She is very good about it as she knows there is a good chance to beat me, usually by a small margin though.

Just when I beat her its usually a rout.

High Risk/High Reward.

#9674 26 days ago

fixable ?

IMG_20170401_150041255 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170401_150115311 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170401_150027007 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170401_150531274 (resized).jpg

#9675 26 days ago

Well yah. In your hands I have complete confidence. I am pretty sure we have seen you resurrect much worse.

#9676 26 days ago
Quoted from boilerman:

fixable ?

Playfield looks okay and needs a scrubbing but the backbox in pieces scares me.

Good luck on the hard work for a great game!

#9677 26 days ago
Quoted from boilerman:

fixable ?

No doubt. With one hand tied behind your back even.

#9678 26 days ago

well to be honest i got it as a parts game, it was dirt cheap. cleaned the pf to see what it would look like. it was just to nice to part out so as usual i saved it. not really to bad, as noted i saved worse. did find a nos bg and put new plastics on it and a handful of misc parts

1 (resized).jpg

3 (resized).jpg

2 (resized).jpg

4 (resized).jpg

5 (resized).jpg

#9679 25 days ago

Slick Chick I'm picking up on Sunday. Guys owned it for over 40 years. Should clean up nice for a game with over 98,000 plays

IMG_20170920_115429060_HDR (resized).jpg

IMG_20170920_115342643_HDR (resized).jpg

IMG_20170920_120936505_HDR (resized).jpg

#9680 25 days ago

buying it from micheal j. fox?

Quoted from pinaholic:

Slick Chick I'm picking up on Sunday. Guys owned it for over 40 years. Should clean up nice for a game with over 98,000 plays

#9681 25 days ago

No,a guy from Brooklyn

#9682 25 days ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

No,a guy from Brooklyn

it was a joke. the picture looks like it was taken with a shaky hand

#9683 25 days ago
Quoted from boilerman:

well to be honest i got it as a parts game, it was dirt cheap. cleaned the pf to see what it would look like. it was just to nice to part out so as usual i saved it. not really to bad, as noted i saved worse. did find a nos bg and put new plastics on it and a handful of misc parts

Do I see a recently restored World Series baseball in the background? Possibly pics on that coming?
Hope so.

#9684 25 days ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Do I see a recently restored World Series baseball in the background? Possibly pics on that coming?
Hope so.

sorry steve i saw you message but totally forgot. i send it asap

#9685 25 days ago
Quoted from boilerman:

You sir are doing God's work. Surf Champ is one of my all time favorites. Very nice to see all the love and work you put into saving it. Looks beautiful.

#9686 25 days ago

Touch ups, check. Clear coat, check. Cabinet repaint, check. Mechanicals - check. Currently troubleshooting, this Gulfstream is just about ready for the York show - one of the fastest EMs ever built - simple but deadly, just the way I like 'em!

Looking forward to yet another wonderful show, see everyone in less than a week!!!

GoingtoYork1 (resized).jpg

GoingtoYork2 (resized).jpg

#9687 25 days ago

I should be stripping this down right now20170923_112127 (resized).jpg20170916_140856 (resized).jpg

#9688 24 days ago
Quoted from Dono:

Touch ups, check. Clear coat, check. Cabinet repaint, check. Mechanicals - check. Currently troubleshooting, this Gulfstream is just about ready for the York show - one of the fastest EMs ever built - simple but deadly, just the way I like 'em!
Looking forward to yet another wonderful show, see everyone in less than a week!!!

Great Job. My Gulfstream restoration was a nightmare. I put about 150 hours into mine and yours looks pretty damn good. Can we see more pic's of the PF? First machine I bought without playing it first. I had an opportunity to pick up a project machine at a good price and a few pinsiders told me grab it, I will not regret it. I love this machine. Addictive play and truly one of my favorites.

#9689 24 days ago
Quoted from Dono:

I'm looking forward to playing such a nice example, played this title alot back in the day.

I played your Cleopatra at Allentown and that was very nicely done.

#9690 23 days ago

Picked this one up today. Should have set up in a couple hours:)

IMG_3065 (resized).JPG

#9691 23 days ago

Sea Wolf? Lucky dog.

#9692 23 days ago

Wow, very cool - way to go! Can't wait to see more of it.

#9693 23 days ago

Haven't had a local pickup in a while, but this one was worth it!

IMG_3519 (resized).JPG

#9694 23 days ago

Yea! Bow and Arrow. Mine has too many others ahead in line for resto.

#9695 23 days ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Sea Wolf? Lucky dog.

Quoted from bek1966:

Wow, very cool - way to go! Can't wait to see more of it.

Yep moved things around and did some horse trading with dirtflipper:) A real nice one I think.

IMG_3067 (resized).JPG

IMG_3069 (resized).JPG

#9696 23 days ago

What a great looking game - nice addition to your collection!

Brad

#9697 23 days ago

a step up from team one on looks alone.....

#9698 23 days ago

I never minded the art with Team One, but I did contemplate making 'long hair decals' for the players on the bg and pf. Might've looked good. Yes/no?

Sea Wolf took World Fair's place, which was then moved next to your old Buckaroo, Dave. Looks great I think.

IMG_3047 (resized).JPG

#9699 23 days ago

Possibly moving this guy ina trade but wanted to take a video of Normal operation!

» YouTube video

#9700 23 days ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

I never minded the art with Team One, but I did contemplate making 'long hair decals' for the players on the bg and pf. Might've looked good. Yes/no?

You could have put some longer, looser pants on those dudes and that might have helped.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 71.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 43.50
£ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.99
$ 52.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pewaukee, WI
$ 14.95
$ 18.99
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 25.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 9829 posts in topic. You are on page 194 of 197.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.