Topic Stats

• 12,115 posts
  • 678 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by dozer1
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7,941 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191110_193917187 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191024_154651251 (resized).jpg
AT2 (resized).jpg
AT1 (resized).jpg
20191110_181329 (resized).jpg
20191110_181312 (resized).jpg
20191108_140747 (resized).jpg
20191108_140157 (resized).jpg
20191108_135936 (resized).jpg
20191108_135858 (resized).jpg
20191108_135949 (resized).jpg
20191108_140114 (resized).jpg
20191108_140044 (resized).jpg
20191108_135822 (resized).jpg
bar (resized).jpg
31762911-E7F3-4632-99E5-9968D7473A96 (resized).jpeg

There are 12115 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 243.
#901 6 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I watched your video of Lawman, looks to be in good original condition. I wish one of those was around here! I want a Lawman!!

The playfield is really nice - the inserts need to be leveled. What killed us is the first stage gear in the score motor lost a bunch of teeth, so I decided I was going to re-build the score motor gear box. I talked Steve Young into sending me the parts and I videotaped the whole process. In the end, the score motor was still a bit sticky, but I am not sure if it's because we made the gears too tight, or there's a finger or two that has too much pressure on the rotating plates - but the game now works, but the score motor is still sluggish... I'm pretty disappointed about that and I even showed my video series to Clay Harrell to make sure I didn't do anything wrong and he said my process was fine. One issue I had was one of the gears did not fit in the box and I had to modify it, so it's definitely an inexact science rebuilding a gear box. I can see why neither Clay nor Steve Young encourage others to do it. Anyway, that video series was shot - I'm trying to fully-solve the sluggish motor problem before I post it.

lawman.jpg

#902 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Curious why there are playfields on the wall. Future projects or .....?

they are just PF i had from parted out machines, and for me to part out a pin it had to to many part missing to make it worth bring back.

#903 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

the Skylab is missing too
many pieces

Still in way better shape than the original.

#904 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

The playfield is really nice - the inserts need to be leveled. What killed us is the first stage gear in the score motor lost a bunch of teeth, so I decided I was going to re-build the score motor gear box. I talked Steve Young into sending me the parts and I videotaped the whole process. In the end, the score motor was still a bit sticky, but I am not sure if it's because we made the gears too tight, or there's a finger or two that has too much pressure on the rotating plates - but the game now works, but the score motor is still sluggish... I'm pretty disappointed about that and I even showed my video series to Clay Harrell to make sure I didn't do anything wrong and he said my process was fine. One issue I had was one of the gears did not fit in the box and I had to modify it, so it's definitely an inexact science rebuilding a gear box. I can see why neither Clay nor Steve Young encourage others to do it. Anyway, that video series was shot - I'm trying to fully-solve the sluggish motor problem before I post it.

If you are that concerned by a used replacement score motor. They come up on ebay all the time. You should be able to get one for less than $60 at the outside. In fact, here's one right now:

ebay.com link » Gottlieb Crescendo Pinball Score Motor Multi Products Spec 658

Many have sold for much less than that:

ebay.com link

Mike O.
Team-EM

#905 6 years ago

That's what I did too. I had a Hot Shot with a broken gear and I just bought the correct score motor and floated all the switches/wiring back on the new one.

#906 6 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

RAT!!! where did you go? How have you been? I definitely noticed your absence and am glad to see you back. Got me an ACD while you were gone. Still in transit (sort of) but I own it! Really looking forward to playing.

I have been lurking here and there. I have been just waiting for my insurance settlement so I can pick out a new EM or two and restore my ACD.

Boilerman...I want that Slick Chick! I would pay top dollar for it.

#907 6 years ago

what this old thing?

DSC_0316.JPG
#908 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

what this old thing?

Nice playfield but your pop skirts are on wrong..

DSC_0316.JPG 4 MB

#909 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

what this old thing?

DSC_0316.JPG 4 MB

Man that is not fair! LOL! But seriously how much would it take to pry it from your collection?

#910 6 years ago

O-dins got two wedgeheads now. These games are FUN! I now realize my Buckaroo came with short-legs.
DSCN1881.JPG

#911 6 years ago

Nice games - would like KoD, Buckaroo and Slick Chick!

#912 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I now realize my Buckaroo came with short-legs.

Buckaroo should have 31" legs. Probably has a Williams set of 28.5" on it. Nice if your short or want to squeeze it under some duct work. My Sinbad had 31" legs on it when I had it. It was supposed to have 27". I'm fairly short and felt like the flipper buttons were at my armpits.

#913 6 years ago

@o-din...

SA-WEET!!!! man, that is one great looking KOD...

#914 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Buckaroo should have 31" legs. Probably has a Williams set of 28.5" on it. Nice if your short or want to squeeze it under some duct work. My Sinbad had 31" legs on it when I had it. It was supposed to have 27". I'm fairly short and felt like the flipper buttons were at my armpits.

I think in 1976 Gottleib went from 31 to 28.5 inch legs? Sure Shot/Bank Shot may have been first to change.

#915 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Buckaroo should have 31" legs.

Yes, I figured that out. I am medium height so either way works for me when playing. But I want it to be original, so I am going to purchase 31s. It will also look more correct sitting next to KoD. Robert did a real nice job on KoD. It is all original paint and playfield with a few minor touch-ups. Every piece of metal is shiny, and the game works perfectly.

The legs that are on Buckaroo appear to be the same ones that are on my Solar Citys, that have the mounting holes lower in the cabinet.

#916 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I think in 1976 Gottleib went from 31 to 28.5 inch legs? Sure Shot/Bank Shot may have been first to change.

Gottlieb used 31" from woodrails up through mid-70's wedgeheads, and then switched to 27" legs for the later 70's 'deeper' cabinet games (the ones that have the integrated door and frame, like Sure Shot, Buccaneer forward).

Williams and Bally used the 28.5" though, but not Gottlieb. The Gottlieb legs also have 'round' bolt holes, whereas the 28.5" have a bit more oval shape to them.

#917 6 years ago

"Nice playfield but your pop skirts are on wrong.."
I know, I put the skirts down because I was out of mylar rings. it was changed to points up when I got the mylar.
that way I know they needed protectors

#918 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I am going to purchase 31s.

Just keep buying Williams, Bally and late Gottlieb games until you get one with 31s on it and swap 'em.

The machines look great by the way.

#919 6 years ago

Thank's Alex. Those wedgeheads have a feel and sound like no other, but I still like to have a variety. There are still at least a few more early Gotts that I would like to add, though.

I just checked. Those are not the same legs on Solar City. Solar City has 27s, and these are indeed 28 and a half.

#920 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

"Nice playfield but your pop skirts are on wrong.."
I know, I put the skirts down because I was out of mylar rings. it was changed to points up when I got the mylar.
that way I know they needed protectors

You were anxious to put it together if you went through all that. Nice game!

#921 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, I figured that out. I am medium height so either way works for me when playing. But I want it to be original, so I am going to purchase 31s. It will also look more correct sitting next to KoD. The guy did a real nice job on KoD. It is all original paint and playfield with a few minor touch-ups. Every piece of metal is shiny, and the game works perfectly.
The legs that are on Buckaroo appear to be the same ones that are on my Solar Citys, that have the mounting holes lower in the cabinet.

Wow, that KoD is all original - looks nice!

#922 6 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Gottlieb used 31" from woodrails up through mid-70's wedgeheads, and then switched to 27" legs for the later 70's 'deeper' cabinet games (the ones that have the integrated door and frame, like Sure Shot, Buccaneer forward).
Williams and Bally used the 28.5" though, but not Gottlieb. The Gottlieb legs also have 'round' bolt holes, whereas the 28.5" have a bit more oval shape to them.

Oh yes, 27 inches

Abra ca Dabra last 31 inch game - just looked it up.

#923 6 years ago

Love to have a KoD and a Buckaroo one day.

#924 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Wow, that KoD is all original - looks nice!

Yes, it is truly a survivor.DSCN1884.JPG

#925 6 years ago

man that was a great score...

#926 6 years ago

Now somebody tell me about my flipper rubbers.

DSCN1887-843.JPG

#927 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, it is truly a survivor.

DSCN1884.JPG 0

Be-E-A-Utiful

#928 6 years ago

DSCN1886-334.JPG

#930 6 years ago

Sure saves me a lot of work.

#931 6 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

You were anxious to put it together if you went through all that. Nice game!

it really isn't to much trouble. I pull the pf out and can all the pb in about 30min. hardest part is soldering the light sockets.
IMO home use pins really do not need the mylar skirts but I use them just because better safe than sorry.

#932 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sure saves me a lot of work.

truer words have never been spoken...

you could eat off the inside of that thing...

#933 6 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

truer words have never been spoken...

you could eat off the inside of that thing...

Yes, I've got enough to maintain around here. Sure I've got a few project machines, but I also have yard work to attend to, house cleaning to do, my 91 year old mother to take shopping (she doesn't drive so well) , a job, and a fifteen year old daughter. . So please forgive me if I occasionally take the easy way out. I figure I deserve it. And also I seem to be the only one around here enthused on EMs, and we have the climate that will preserve these fine EM machines forever.

#934 6 years ago

^^^

the 15 year old daughter alone is enough reason for you to deserve it...

i'll be honest, given the choice, every machine i bought would be in that type of condition...

#935 6 years ago

Holy Crap! o-din, What sealed vault has that pin been in? Sweet!

#936 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So please forgive me if I occasionally take the easy way out. I figure I deserve it.

No argument here.

How are you liking the Kod,pretty good player isnt it.

#937 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Holy Crap! o-din, What sealed vault has that pin been in?

Utah!

#938 6 years ago

Another woodrail. This is a fun one.

2013Oct12 003.JPG
2013Oct12 009.JPG

#939 6 years ago

love the lighting on mystic marvel ...!!!

#940 6 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

the 15 year old daughter alone is enough reason for you to deserve it..

Not the nice climate?

#941 6 years ago

I believe that condition quality in pin is the most important part of the purchase. Rarity less so.

#942 6 years ago

O-DIN does that KoD have a PF overlay? kinda looks like mine

DSC_0027.JPG
#943 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not the nice climate?

negative on that... if it was only the nice climate, every machine you get should be a total rat...

#944 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I believe that condition quality in pin is the most important part of the purchase. Rarity less so.

certainly in terms of how much you should pay...

that being said, rarity also comes into play... for a "garden variety" pin, it's basically all about condition... for something that is really hard to lay your hands on (like an em joker poker, or a few others), condition determines final price, but even a rat has a certain "built in" value... a ratty jp will always carry a higher price tag than a relatively pristine < insert any "common" pin here > simply because they are very hard to find...

pick a popular pin, let's say an "abra ca dabra" since there was a recent run on them... basically everyone who wanted one was able to pretty easily lay their hands on one at a "reasonable price" even though it seemed like everyone wanted one in a short period of time...

but most of us want a jp... and it's not like we are able to go out and get one on demand for anything resembling a reasonable price*... if anyone posted a ratty jp for anything resembling a reasonable price, it would be gone almost immediately, regardless of condition...

* even if you were willing to pay an obscene price, it might be tough to pry one away from someone...

#945 6 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Another woodrail. This is a fun one.

2013Oct12 003.JPG 1 MB

2013Oct12 009.JPG 499 KB

wow df, that's a beauty...

#946 6 years ago

Wow, boilerman, nice collection and others as well! Would love three or four nice wedges with some spinners, drops, the works. Would love 1965 Band-A-Ball (I actually have a 1951 sitting in my shop, BG shot and plastics dust, haven't plugged in just yet). Found a 1975 Big Ben but haven't gotten it going yet, score motor just spins and spins.

#947 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

O-DIN does that KoD have a PF overlay? kinda looks like mine

No overlay boilerman. Is there one on yours? I see you do have the proper flipper rubbers.

#948 6 years ago

I like the flipper rubbers doubled up on these 2" flipper games. They give a little bit of an extra advantage by narrowing the gap a little.

There is also another reason people do this. Modern replacement flipper bushings sit a bit taller making the flipper higher off the playfield. Because of this the contact point changed and the ball can break the lower edge of your flipper plastic. The second rubber compensates for this by making a lower rubber to ball contact point.

#949 6 years ago

Yeah, I'm leaving them.

#950 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I like the flipper rubbers doubled up on these 2" flipper games. They give a little bit of an extra advantage by narrowing the gap a little.
There is also another reason people do this. Modern replacement flipper bushings sit a bit taller making the flipper higher off the playfield. Because of this the contact point changed and the ball can break the lower edge of your flipper plastic. The second rubber compensates for this by making a lower rubber to ball contact point.

Somebody should make a thicker flipper rubber if that's the case. I've had two flipper plastics break on the lower edge of my Cross Town, one put a scar in the clear. I thought they were poor flipper castings that were to weak for high tap. Even so, I can't bring myself to use two rings, though I tried once, it looked absolutely awful.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
There are 12115 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 243.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside