20240413_220233 (resized).jpg
20240413_220215 (resized).jpg
20240413_220225 (resized).jpg
20240413_220229 (resized).jpg
20240413_220209 (resized).jpg
20240413_220211 (resized).jpg
20240413_220207 (resized).jpg
20240413_220203 (resized).jpg
There are 13,748 posts in this topic. You are on page 137 of 275.
#6801 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

(Wild Life/Jungle/Jungle King/Jungle Life) are far from great.

To you. Pretty contradictory post, but to each their own.

Quoted from boilerman:

because you own one and like it doesn't make it great.

And just because you don't and don't like it doesn't make it not great, either.

Truly in the eye of the beholder! One man's Bally El Toro is another man's Gottlieb Atlantis... Sure there's a general consensus on some games where it's more common for people to like than not like (yet some still dislike them with a passion), and more often than not it's the other way around (there can only be so many "greats") but there still truly are some hidden gems out there. Of course a person won't enjoy them if they don't keep an open mind. I always keep an open mind when trying out a new game, my ratings are entirely based on my recent experiences as I wasn't around to play these when they were new or even remotely close to it. Keeping an open mind is what even brought me to EMs in the first place in a day where my peers aren't even playing pinball let alone any era of it, they're playing with their smartphones.

Comparatively, there are many people here on Pinside that will say what you are saying about this machine towards the best EM single player machine you/we as a community think exists because it's "slow, worthless, and old", without a doubt. Again, all (close-minded) opinion. Or maybe just even taste. That's totally fine too, but at least don't dictate it as fact.

Quoted from boilerman:

- what wedgeheads did they make out of these???? ("they even made 2 wedgeheads out of this one it did so well.")

Jungle King (US)/Jungle Life (Italy)

jungle_king_(resized).jpgjungle_king_(resized).jpg
image-3_(resized).jpgimage-3_(resized).jpg
image-1_(4)_(resized).jpgimage-1_(4)_(resized).jpg

Compared to the multiplayer playfield:

jungle4_(resized).jpgjungle4_(resized).jpg
jungle5_(resized).jpgjungle5_(resized).jpg
maxresdefault_(3)_(resized).jpgmaxresdefault_(3)_(resized).jpg

#6802 7 years ago

Different people will see things in different ways but heck for me there all great! And if you have a particular title its likely to be even greater.

#6803 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:To you. Pretty contradictory post, but to each their own.:

what was contradictory about what i said? i never said it was a bad game i said it just wasn't great. there were very few games that are truly bad. most are good to fair and yet some are great.

Quoted from Otaku:

And just because you don't and don't like it doesn't make it not great, either.:

how do you know i have never owed it? and again! i never said i did not like it.

Quoted from Otaku:

there still truly are some hidden gems out there.:

quite a few of my favorites are not great games but to me there are just something that grabs me. they are considered average games. i never knock someone for the games they like. there's many reasons to like a game, game play is just one factor.
i have never gotten upset because someone said xxxx game is crap.

Quoted from Otaku:

there are many people here on Pinside that will say what you are saying about this machine towards the best EM single player machine you/we as a community think exists because it's "slow, worthless, and old", without a doubt. Again, all (close-minded) opinion. Or maybe just even taste. That's totally fine too, but at least don't dictate it as fact.
:

that is your problem! you worry about what other say or think. do i care that the DMD/ss guys hate em's NO..
i do it because i like it. and you calling me " closed minded" because i don't agree with you is pretty f"= up. you don't me. you don't know what like or don't like and why.
normally i don't respond to these threads. i dislike the flame wars BUT i keep a low profile and help other when i can.
i had to respond because i am far from close minded. you need to lighten up and don't take everything so personal. it's just pinball
remember just because someone doesn't agree with you they are not close minded

#6804 7 years ago

This thread used to be more "user-friendly"....

#6805 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

This thread used to be more "user-friendly"....

it still is..... nothing has changed.

#6806 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

what was contradictory about what i said? i never said it was a bad game i said it just wasn't great. there were very few games that are truly bad. most are good to fair and yet some are great.

how do you know i have never owed it? and again! i never said i did not like it.

quite a few of my favorites are not great games but to me there are just something that grabs me. they are considered average games. i never knock someone for the games they like. there's many reasons to like a game, game play is just one factor.
i have never gotten upset because someone said xxxx game is crap.

that is your problem! you worry about what other say or think. do i care that the DMD/ss guys hate em's NO..
i do it because i like it. and you calling me " closed minded" because i don't agree with you is pretty f"= up. you don't me. you don't know what like or don't like and why.
normally i don't respond to these threads. i dislike the flame wars BUT i keep a low profile and help other when i can.
i had to respond because i am far from close minded. you need to lighten up and don't take everything so personal. it's just pinball
remember just because someone doesn't agree with you they are not close minded

Whoa, you took a lot of the things I said personally. (especially the close-minded thing) Wait a second - I was saying over a mass of people, all of that was in response to you of course but 90% of it was referencing others or any person rather than specifically yourself in the content itself. You can like what you like, and I like what I like, and I don't get offended if somebody doesn't like what I like and I'm glad you don't either. Especially if it's a certain kind of machine... saves more for me.

No hard feelings at all dude, hope you feel the same. Didn't mean for it to come off that way at all. Let's keep the peace in the EM lounge.

Back to the machines...

IMG_5970_(resized).JPGIMG_5970_(resized).JPG

#6807 7 years ago

I think I might have posted these two already but finally uploading in beautiful high resolution. (Well, until Pinside resizes it)

Was previously uploading another way and it killed the quality to the extreme. Oooh, ahhhh...

IMG_3731_(resized).JPGIMG_3731_(resized).JPG
IMG_3735_(resized).JPGIMG_3735_(resized).JPG

#6808 7 years ago

#6809 7 years ago

Gottlieb Jungle/Wild Life/Jungle King/Jungle Life for some reason brings out lots of opinions in EM people. I was reading on one of the threads on here where someone hates the game because of the artwork. Granted the artwork is a little goofy, but it's still a Gottlieb and worthy of being played. In my opinion, Jungle is a so/so game. It gets boring real quick...to me. However, I used to own a King Rock and I would say Jungle is a better playing game. I recently saved from the trash pile (literally in the trash pile) a Jumping Jack. That game i think is really fun to play and I dig the artwork too. These last few games i got are not my first choice for my collection, but I couldn't see them ending up in the trash pile. At first i thought I would just use them for spare parts, but instead, I've used them for training my skills on cabinet restore and pinball repair. Then I make someone happy like my father in law by giving it to him, or as I see it, letting him use it....hehe. Anyways, I'm glad you all are as passionate about pinball as I am. Especially the EM's. The games I find GREAT are the ones in my game room. Atlantis, El Dorado, Sky Jump, Abra Ca Dabra, Hit The Deck, Jacks Open, but that's just my opinion and there are so many other great games out there. Wish I could own them all.
On another note, Please keep posting your games. I love seeing everyone EM's, great, good and stinkers....in my own opinion.

#6810 7 years ago

I like the art work on Jungle life . I like that early Gottlieb cartoonish look . Jungle life, Roller Coaster, I have never played either game but would like to own them just for the art work. I love Pinball so I don't think I would hate any game . I mean EM games . To each his own

#6811 7 years ago
Quoted from Spider3582:

I like the art work on Jungle life . I like that early Gottlieb cartoonish look . Jungle life, Roller Coaster, I have never played either game but would like to own them just for the art work. I love Pinball so I don't think I would hate any game . I mean EM games . To each his own

Gordon Morison at his best! Always liked "Jungle King", but meh on the multi-players.

#6812 7 years ago

Guys....Keep posting pictures of your games. I started this thread 3 years ago so I could see all the games that people love. We all have opinions and opinions vary just like everything in life from movies, TV shows, politics, cars, the color of the sky, To-May-to / To-Mah-to. Create a different thread or resort back to other threads with the single player Vs. Multiplayer thread to debate or discuss these things (If you could *please and thank you*)

Again post some EM pinball pictures. Getting back on topic...Here's one I took 3 or 4 months ago.

IMG_0224_(resized).JPGIMG_0224_(resized).JPG

#6813 7 years ago

One of favorite games.

IMG_6380_(resized).JPGIMG_6380_(resized).JPG

#6814 7 years ago

another favorite

IMG_6409_(resized).JPGIMG_6409_(resized).JPG

#6815 7 years ago

Not my pin. Did get close enough to touch it and snap this pic.
April_17_2016_Mustang_009_(resized).jpgApril_17_2016_Mustang_009_(resized).jpg

#6816 7 years ago

I like the "Warning This Machine Is Protected By Burglar Alarm" sticker on the apron.

#6817 7 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I like the "Warning This Machine Is Protected By A Burglar Alarm" sticker on the apron.

Seen those decals on cigarette machines the most.

#6818 7 years ago

Weird that my Star Jet also has a hole between the flippers,
for a small rebound post, that obviously was later removed.

#6819 7 years ago

It's a little rough around the edges but it's my first machine. I've posted a pic in a few other areas on pinside but I lurk this thread everyday so I figure I should post here. I'll be starting a restoration documentation thread after I get back from a trip next week!

IMG_2788_(resized).JPGIMG_2788_(resized).JPG

IMG_2790_(resized).JPGIMG_2790_(resized).JPG

IMG_2791_(resized).JPGIMG_2791_(resized).JPG

#6820 7 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

It's a little rough around the edges but it's my first machine. I've posted a pic in a few other areas on pinside but I lurk this thread everyday so I figure I should post here. I'll be starting a restoration documentation thread after I get back from a trip next week!

Doesn't look too rough at all to me, looks like a great example of it! Enjoy it!

Keep in mind with something that nice (unless pictures are lying) that sometimes no restoration is better than an attempted one.

#6821 7 years ago

I like the different color coin lights.

#6822 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I like the different color coin lights.

Different denominations.

#6823 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Doesn't look too rough at all to me, looks like a great example of it! Enjoy it!
Keep in mind with something that nice (unless pictures are lying) that sometimes no restoration is better than an attempted one.

Well I'm going to completely clean everything more than thorough and sand and repaint the cabinet.... depending on how clean the PF comes and looks I might leave it alone. The BG already had a well meaning attempt at "restoration" so not sure there...

#6824 7 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

Well I'm going to completely clean everything more than thorough and sand and repaint the cabinet.... depending on how clean the PF comes and looks I might leave it alone. The BG already had a well meaning attempt at "restoration" so not sure there...

How bad is the cabinet? Looks pretty nice to me. Of course your call. But an 8/10 original is always better than a 10/10 restoration as well.

#6825 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

put my HtD back together, it has been folded up for quite some time

That playfield just "pops"!
Did you paint the cabinet?

Just beautiful!

E

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6826 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Not my pin. Did get close enough to touch it and snap this pic.

Always good to see another Star-Jet survivor. Playfield looks really nice. Did you try and talk them into selling it to you?

#6827 7 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

That's one you don't see every day. Nice find.

#6828 7 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

another favorite

Let me know when you're ready to dump that junky Sky Jump.

#6829 7 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

My GTB 1956 Auto Race finally arrived today & picked it up from the Port of Sydney. Once again Craters & Freighters did a terrific job on packing & crating-never the likelihood of damage despite the distance involved (Rhode Island US to Australia).
Machine is in pretty good condition particularly for its age & fired up straight away. It does however need a good shop & various cosmetic issues addressed.
I will post further pics when the machine is set up properly.

Nice pick up Wayne.

Colors on cabinet look really nice and strong - no fade.

Hear it is a great playing game.

#6830 7 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

another favorite

Love, love, love Sky Jump. Great example mate.

#6831 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

How bad is the cabinet? Looks pretty nice to me. Of course your call. But an 8/10 original is always better than a 10/10 restoration as well.

The previous (maybe twice removed) owner repainted a lot of the cab with a brush and it looks pretty awful up close.

Quoted from jrpinball:

That's one you don't see every day. Nice find.

When I saw the theme l fell in love!

#6832 7 years ago

Another one of my favorites in my game room. I'd call this one a GREAT game. Yes, I know a lot of you don't like the bright LED's but I do in the backglass. I will be switching the playfield LED to the retro LED's soon.

IMG_8436_(resized).JPGIMG_8436_(resized).JPG

#6833 7 years ago

I think it looks killer with the LED's.Reminds me of Wild Wild West for some reason.

#6834 7 years ago

Another one of my favorites in my game room. I think it's a Great game.

IMG_6406_(resized).JPGIMG_6406_(resized).JPG

#6835 7 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Another one of my favorites in my game room. I think it's a Great game.

This is part of what is great about this hobby. I found a fantastic condition Jacks Open about 6 years ago, thought I would love it (Card themes are a favorite of mine), but I just didn't. Don't get me wrong, it was a really good game but I have limited space (bane of all collectors) and sold it to get other games. After starting my collecting with mostly '70's 3" flipper drop target games, I have evolved and now have all 2" non drop target games:

Sing Along
Heat Wave
King of Diamonds
Nags

If I had room, I'd still have at least some of the other games I considered very good, just not great for me (Jack in the Box, Abra Ca Dabra, Quick Draw, Royal Flush, JO). If we all wanted the same titles it would be a much more frustrating (and expensive) hobby

#6836 7 years ago

I was against leds in EMs till I tried soft white in the backglass and I agree with you as long as your backglass is good it really makes it better . I even tried them under dull from age playfield plastics on a Pro Football and I liked that to

#6837 7 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

I have evolved and now have all 2" non drop target games:
Sing Along
Heat Wave
King of Diamonds
Nags

Funny, my Heat Wave has a drop target.

#6838 7 years ago

In fact several of my 60s games with 2" flippers have drop targets. Which I don't think is a bad thing. As long as it's not the only feature.

image-22_(resized).jpgimage-22_(resized).jpg

#6839 7 years ago
Quoted from Spider3582:

I was against leds in EMs till I tried soft white in the backglass and I agree with you as long as your backglass is good it really makes it better . I even tried them under dull from age playfield plastics on a Pro Football and I liked that to

Interested in what brand soft white you are pleased with. I've tried the "retro" whites from Nifty and I couldn't get past the greenish color shift. I'm straight back to incandescents.

#6840 7 years ago

Got them from cointaker . They are 44/47 frosted and color is warm. I said soft that's my bad.They are 1.5 times brighter than incandescents. Believe me Im big on not changing EM games but these bulbs really bring out a good backglass and work well for playfield plastics. You can just buy like 10 to see if you like them . That's what I did then I placed a order for 50. I added the same bulbs but 2 each of different colors red, green, blue just to see what they look like, haven't experimented with those yet . I think the frosted white, color warm brings the visual affect of the game more alive. I was against this completey till I tried it and love it plus they are my games I will do what I want. I could post a before and after pic of my pro football but the camera doesn't do it justice. I put them on the backglass of a captain kid gun game and it really pops . They don't seem to dim like incandescents do either

#6841 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Interested in what brand soft white you are pleased with. I've tried the "retro" whites from Nifty and I couldn't get past the greenish color shift. I'm straight back to incandescents.

Still haven't found a better overall "best of both worlds" approach than using incandescent 47's in GI locations and warm white frosted LED's everywhere else. Posted my findings here... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stealth-led-a-recommended-recipe-for-ems

Done right, LED's + EM's are very worthy. Also recommend using red frosted LED's under star rollovers & double-lamping them.

#6842 7 years ago

I've been thinking strongly about popping some red LEDs under the 7 inserts during/in my Sky Jump restoration so the inserts are more of a red than a lighter red. I saw some evidence at Pinfest that it worked well on a different title of machine. Not sure what I want to do yet.

Of course, they would be alongside of every other bulb being incandescent.

#6843 7 years ago
Quoted from Spider3582:

Got them from cointaker . They are 44/47 frosted and color is warm. I said soft that's my bad.They are 1.5 times brighter than incandescents. Believe me Im big on not changing EM games but these bulbs really bring out a good backglass and work well for playfield plastics. You can just buy like 10 to see if you like them . That's what I did then I placed a order for 50. I added the same bulbs but 2 each of different colors red, green, blue just to see what they look like, haven't experimented with those yet . I think the frosted white, color warm brings the visual affect of the game more alive. I was against this completey till I tried it and love it plus they are my games I will do what I want. I could post a before and after pic of my pro football but the camera doesn't do it justice. I put them on the backglass of a captain kid gun game and it really pops . They don't seem to dim like incandescents do either

Great write-up. Thank you. For what it's worth, here's my review of the Nifty's vs Incandescents:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-swinger-restoration-and-eventual-retheme/page/13#post-2986788

...complete with pictures.

Speaking of which, I know photographing bulbs are tough, but I would love to see shots of yours if you're willing.

Best,
Ryan

#6844 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Done right, LED's + EM's are very worthy. Also recommend using red frosted LED's under star rollovers & double-lamping them.

I have found also that different combinations work. I use white concave LEDs under small inserts so I can push the close and not worry about the heat. LED 3s under larger inserts. Under star and rollover buttons I use red 44s for a bright effect. For a flaky and cracking backglass I think LEDs are an improvement. I always change score window lights to LEDs. They don't look as nice but they don't bake the ink.

#6845 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

I've been thinking strongly about popping some red LEDs under the 7 inserts during/in my Sky Jump restoration so the inserts are more of a red than a lighter red. I saw some evidence at Pinfest that it worked well on a different title of machine. Not sure what I want to do yet.
Of course, they would be alongside of every other bulb being incandescent.

In my experiments I've found that matching color-on-color isn't always desirable. Depending upon the strength of the LED, red LED + red insert can look too *intense red* compared to surrounding inserts. Or it might be just fine... just have to try it.

In general I've had more luck matching red and blue LED's color-on-color with inserts than with any other colors. Orange, green, and yellow inserts in particular have looked terrible with matched-color LED's. I usually go with the default warm white frosted for those.

Just gotta try them all and see what works best with the overall look.

#6846 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Funny, my Heat Wave has a drop target.

Doh!

Of course I meant combination of 3" flippers + drop target banks (as on the 70's Gottlieb's I listed). I like them but don't think the flow of the game is as good as on 2" and non drop-target bank games. Drop target is not the primary objective on either Heat Wave or Teacher's Pet (which is probably the game I regret getting rid of the most).

#6847 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Great write-up. Thank you. For what it's worth, here's my review of the Nifty's vs Incandescents:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-swinger-restoration-and-eventual-retheme/page/13#post-2986788
...complete with pictures.
Speaking of which, I know photographing bulbs are tough, but I would love to see shots of yours if you're willing.
Best,
Ryan

It is difficult to get realistic photographs of LED bulbs, but these are respectable (captured with a nice DSLR at Texas Pinball Festival this year). The yellow insert on Top Score is lit with a warm white LED. Yellow-on-yellow looked awful. You could easily tell it was an LED... didn't look consistent with the rest of the lighting.

All of the below shots have LED's everywhere except for playfield GI locations.

freedom_(resized).jpgfreedom_(resized).jpg
Pinball-331_(resized).jpgPinball-331_(resized).jpg
Pinball-56_(resized).jpgPinball-56_(resized).jpg

Using bulbs in the GI locations is the trick. Your eye sees filaments and assumes the rest are the same. I'm not morally opposed to using LED's in GI locations... just haven't found one yet which looks pretty enough.

#6848 7 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

Drop target is not the primary objective on either Heat Wave or Teacher's Pet (which is probably the game I regret getting rid of the most).

Without hitting the drop target on either how do you collect the special?

I like drop target games where there is only one or a few that can be most important shots at one point or another in the game. Also that require a different shot to bring them up again. I've had a couple games with 10+ drop targets and they just don't do much for me anymore.

#6849 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

In my experiments I've found that matching color-on-color isn't always desirable.

+1. On those big faded purple-pinkish Gottlieb inserts I use blue LED 3s.

#6850 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

I've been thinking strongly about popping some red LEDs under the 7 inserts during/in my Sky Jump restoration so the inserts are more of a red than a lighter red.

Look closely, those inserts, they are Purple. I thought the same thing as you. Wade Krause corrected me on this and ordered purple inserts for his new Repro Sky Jump playfield he will be doing. So I changed my red LED's to purple on those.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 249.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lakeville, MN
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Holton, MI
$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 13,748 posts in this topic. You are on page 137 of 275.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-show-us-your-em-pinball-machines/page/137?hl=spider3582 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.