20240413_220233 (resized).jpg
20240413_220215 (resized).jpg
20240413_220225 (resized).jpg
20240413_220229 (resized).jpg
20240413_220209 (resized).jpg
20240413_220211 (resized).jpg
20240413_220207 (resized).jpg
20240413_220203 (resized).jpg
There are 13,748 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 275.
#5351 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Dodge City is a fun game and you don't see it that often. You have to live west of the Mississippi to own one (not).

This one's in real nice shape beyond a few scratches on the backbox. Hardly any playfield wear and a decent backglass. Festus and the gang stopped by yesterday and said "make that cowboy dance!"

Yep, we've got Surfers in Texas and Cowboys in California. What's this world coming to?

#5352 8 years ago

Sexy paint job on that surfer. Has to be one of Gottlieb's better cabinet paint schemes.

#5353 8 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Surfer. I remember that game. Looks really nice!

Quoted from hoov:

Nice job on the Surfer Ken (and Ken for the paint job) - looks great!

Thanks guys!

Ken

#5354 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Sexy paint job on that surfer. Has to be one of Gottlieb's better cabinet paint schemes.

Quoted from o-din:

Yep, we've got Surfers in Texas and Cowboys in California. What's this world coming to?

Way cool dudes!

Ken

#5355 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Way cool dudes!

Thats right pardner.

#5356 8 years ago

I posted these on another thread, but what a beautiful, amazing machine. I don't think I had heard of or seen one of these before, but when I first laid eyes on it , I knew I had to have it. Perfect backglass, nice original cabinet, semi-beat original legs, and according to a piece of paper in the coinbox, a new playfield recently installed. Now where does somebody find an NOS playfield for a 1958 Williams? I guess it really doesn't matter because I won't be needing another. Merry X-mas!

483349.jpg483349.jpg

483350.jpg483350.jpg

I have since corrected the flippers.

#5357 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I posted these on another thread, but what a beautiful, amazing machine. I don't think I had heard of or seen one of these before, but when I first laid eyes on it , I knew I had to have it. Perfect backglass, nice original cabinet, semi-beat original legs, and according to a piece of paper in the coinbox, a new playfield recently installed. Now where does somebody find an NOS playfield for a 1958 Williams? I guess it really doesn't matter because I won't be needing another. Merry X-mas!
483349.jpg
483350.jpg

That is a terrific looking game. However, I guess that the guy who installed the NOS playfield delegated the flipper bat installation to a subordinate. And they're off. . .

#5358 8 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

That is a terrific looking game. However, I guess that the guy who installed the NOS playfield delegated the flipper bat installation to a subordinate. And they're off. . .

If you look closer he did say he corrected the flippers.

#5359 8 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I guess that the guy who installed the NOS playfield delegated the flipper bat installation to a subordinate. And they're off. . .

I've already fixed it. I'm not sure what happened there, but it is not the first time I've seen that.

#5360 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've already fixed it. I'm not sure what happened there, but it is not the first time I've seen that.

What I found funny, and the reason for my post, is the idea that someone successfully completed a playfield swap, only to install the flippers upside down (or else, more likely, delegated the task to someone altogether unfamiliar with pinball machines). Naturally, anyone acquiring this very nice machine was going to reorient the bats. Keep on flipping and congratulations on adding Steeple-Chase to your line-up.

#5361 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

483349.jpg
483350.jpg

I'm just jealous.... Nothing else to say....

#5362 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I posted these on another thread, but what a beautiful, amazing machine

Very nice score. Congratulations!

Bruce

#5363 8 years ago

I bet all my money on "Citation" and lost. Next time it will be "Nashua". Nice machine! I look forward to playing it on my next visit.

#5364 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I bet all my money on "Citation" and lost.

First you need to get through Devineress. And then it only gets harder.
DSCN4089.JPGDSCN4089.JPG

The guy that changed out the playfield did a very nice job. I didn't get it from him. Flippers look OK now?

Well they don't to me. Rome wasn't built in a day.

DSCN4090.JPGDSCN4090.JPG

#5365 8 years ago

"sigh......" jealous again

#5366 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Flippers look OK now?

Almost - need another rubber ring on each one (unless you're using 1 1/8" pinballs).

#5367 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

what a beautiful, amazing machine

Kinda reminds me of WMS Pit Stop, in a small way.

#5368 8 years ago

My Sweet Add A Line 1955 is finally ready to play
Well, not sure if flippers need double rubber or not?
Anyway huge thanks to DF for advice re troubleshooting

This game is a keeper simply for this one feature.

As you unlight the last rollover ( there are 16 ) the game goes crazy and fires an amazing 26 knocks ( replays ) ! Jackpot heaven.

I will post back the day I accomplish this feat but it might take a very long time.....

IMG_9234.jpgIMG_9234.jpg

#5369 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Anyway huge thanks to DF for advice re troubleshooting
This game is a keeper simply for this one feature.
As you unlight the last rollover ( there are 16 ) the game goes crazy and fires an amazing 26 knocks ( replays ) ! Jackpot heaven.
I will post back the day I accomplish this feat but it might take a very long time.....

IMG_9234.jpg

Cool game!

#5370 8 years ago

Yes. The "round top" style of 2" flippers should be double-ringed when playing with a standard 1 1/16" pinball. I know the usual ring kits folks buy don't include them, but buy a dozen 1 1/4" rings to have on hand and use them as the bottom ring, then put the 1" ring from the ring kit as the top ring.

#5371 8 years ago

I always thought that the double rings was a hack. Did the early machines use 1-1/8 balls?

#5372 8 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Did the early machines use 1-1/8 balls?

Yes (late 40's games).

You can even see the double rings used on some Gottlieb flyers (when the image is clear enough).

Not a hack, just the correct way to ring that style of flippers.

#5373 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Yes. The "round top" style of 2" flippers should be double-ringed when playing with a standard 1 1/16" pinball. I know the usual ring kits folks buy don't include them, but buy a dozen 1 1/4" rings to have on hand and use them as the bottom ring, then put the 1" ring from the ring kit as the top ring.

Very useful info

Will add to next order.

#5374 8 years ago

26 knocks? Wow, beautiful game. I'd give my left arm for that . (It's a good arm too, no tats or broken bones ever)

#5375 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Yes (late 40's games).
You can even see the double rings used on some Gottlieb flyers (when the image is clear enough).
Not a hack, just the correct way to ring that style of flippers.

I once asked Steve Young this very question.

He was emphatic, even for Steve, that double ringing this style of flipper was not correct.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5376 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I once asked Steve Young this very question.
He was emphatic, even for Steve, that double ringing this style of flipper was not correct.

Interesting - that sounds like fun. I'll have to remember to ask him myself sometime.

But I gotta go with the Gottlieb factory on this one.

GtbFlippersZoom.jpgGtbFlippersZoom.jpg

#5377 8 years ago

Interesting debate.

I looked at various flyers I have - they seem to have just the 1 rubber.

Whether that means anything not sure.

IMG_9235.jpgIMG_9235.jpg

#5378 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

double ringing this style of flipper

I prefer double ringing
with white on bottom and red on top

#5379 8 years ago

Interesting debate.

IMG_9235.jpg

That's been my experience with the flyers also. Between that and Steve, I'm staying with one. Plus, the flipper has one groove.

But it's your game, your choice.

#5380 8 years ago

Interesting debate.

IMG_9235.jpg

Look at the flyers from about Ace High and later, and you'll see the double rings.

It's about the geometry. Take a 1 1/16" ball and see where the center line is relative to the one ring on the flipper; they don't line up (the center line on the ball is below the ring). Adding the second ring below the top one meets up with the center line of the ball.

If you have original flippers and have interest in preserving them, the second ring is cheap insurance. Repros are now $14 a pair, and nice originals are hard to find. An extra pair of rings is $1. I've seen enough broken 2" round top flippers to appreciate why Gottlieb started adding the second ring themselves.

#5381 8 years ago

I like the look of the two ringed flippers.

#5382 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

If you have original flippers and have interest in preserving them, the second ring is cheap insurance.

Does this apply to Williams flipper games with the rounded top and other manufacturers?

Bruce

#5383 8 years ago

That looks like a neat game. I would like to play one someday.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Kinda reminds me of WMS Pit Stop, in a small way.

The track is very similar to Pit Stop's but used in a different way. There are several ways to win games. Besides the normal point threshholds if you round the track once it will light the alternating gobble holes for a million, twice they will light for one special, three times two specials, and four times, three.

The lit horses on the backglass are a carry over feature from game to game and have corresponding shots on the playfield that will only lite in order after a horse is lit on the backglass. To add a horse to the backglass you must first make it once around the track which resets at the beginning of each game. Three horses are rollover shots including the center drain and the other four are gobble hole shots. Once all horses are lit another replay is awarded. It took several players over the weekend to try to get that last horse Equipoise but I sunk the shot last night. This game is going to be set to take dimes.

#5384 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Does this apply to Williams flipper games with the rounded top and other manufacturers?
Bruce

Yes.

#5385 8 years ago

Placing an order then.

Thanks,
Bruce

#5386 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Look at the flyers from about Ace High and later, and you'll see the double rings.
It's about the geometry. Take a 1 1/16" ball and see where the center line is relative to the one ring on the flipper; they don't line up (the center line on the ball is below the ring). Adding the second ring below the top one meets up with the center line of the ball.
If you have original flippers and have interest in preserving them, the second ring is cheap insurance. Repros are now $14 a pair, and nice originals are hard to find. An extra pair of rings is $1. I've seen enough broken 2" round top flippers to appreciate why Gottlieb started adding the second ring themselves.

Just looked at my 1958 Sunshine flyer - double rubbers.

Now I know why a fair few rubber kits I always end up with 2 spare 1 inch rubbers.

Seems like they put 1 inch in instead of 1 inch 1/4.

#5387 8 years ago

Now I know why a fair few rubber kits I always end up with 2 spare 1 inch rubbers.

yes, that's what they're for. The 1" will work, will just be a bit tighter.

And ever wonder why the area in front of the flippers on 50's games are sometimes blown out with wear? And the wear doesn't really line up with flipper "drag"? What do you suppose happens when the flipper rubber hits above the center line of the ball?

#5388 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

And ever wonder why the area in front of the flippers on 50's games are sometimes blown out with wear? And the wear doesn't really line up with flipper "drag"? What do you suppose happens when the flipper rubber hits above the center line of the ball?

Good point.

#5389 8 years ago

Steve told me Gottlieb did not use or produce 1 1/4" rubber for their games, therefore, he doesn't include it inhis Gottlieb rubber sets (though I do believe he stocks it for other manufacturers)

#5390 8 years ago

1 1/4s fit pretty good on those dead bumpers.

#5391 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Well, I am going to double rubber all my games now - advantages outweigh any disadvantages.

#5392 8 years ago

I really doubt you'll see any differences, but it is not going to hurt anything.

#5393 8 years ago

I like it. Aside from the added protection, it gives you a tiny bit of extra flipper reach. A lot of these 2" games are pretty brutal so anything helps.

#5394 8 years ago

I thought I had doubled up on Flipper because of that wide gap, but I just looked and nope.

#5395 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I like it. Aside from the added protection, it gives you a tiny bit of extra flipper reach. A lot of these 2" games are pretty brutal so anything helps.

Two inch flipper games are a true measuring stick.

#5396 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Two inch flipper games are a true measuring stick.

All my EMs have two inch flippers on them. Ironic because I grew up playing mostly long flipper games from the 70s. Only game I have from the 70s now is one I never played back in the day- Gorgar.

There are a still a few short flipper games that were made in the early 70s that I might consider, but it is the 60s and prior that I prefer now.

#5397 8 years ago

I like a mix, 2's and 3's. Gives variety. Two different games/way to play really. Sometimes I switch to a 2" and forget to nudge right off the bat...and the drain happens...then I remember to nudge on ball 2...then forget on ball 3...

#5398 8 years ago

Growing up, I hated 2" flipper games because they were, often, old machines Now, I love them. I only have 2 machines with 3" flippers. Wizard! and Top Card. I also own a Crosstown (Which I feel the flippers are too far apart) and have often wondered how installing 3" flippers would improve the play.

#5399 8 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Growing up, I hated 2" flipper games because they were, often, old machines Now, I love them. I only have 2 machines with 3" flippers. Wizard! and Top Card. I also own a Crosstown (Which I feel the flippers are too far apart) and have often wondered how installing 3" flippers would improve the play.

It would bastardize the game and make it ridiculously easy. My first pin ever was a Gottlieb "Hearts and Spades". Someone had converted it to 3" flippers, but they maintained the normal gap by moving the holes farther apart. Still, the game was way too easy to beat, and got very boring very quickly. My brother has a "Subway" and he once made a set of extended flippers for it out of some type of plastic. He had them installed for some time, but it made the game way too easy to beat, and since it's an add-a-ball game, made game times ridiculously long. He has since restored it to normal condition with the original flippers. Designers knew what they were doing when they came up with a game design, and they usually achieved a good balance of playability and return for the operator. That, after all, was their job.

#5400 8 years ago

Flipper Fair/Subway (AAB) share the same layout as Cross Town (replay)... but Flipper Fair was designed first in 1961 during the "AAB golden age" which had no replay equivalents. This layout was originally designed to be an AAB game only. That's why the flippers are so far apart because the primary challenge (and fun) of this game is to keep earning more balls than you drain with those risky center shots.

I'm generally not an AAB person because most of them play and look like inferior adaptations. But this layout? Gotta be AAB. Just doesn't work without it... too punishing.

If I owned a Cross Town and was limited to five balls, I'd want a narrower gap or a center post. Five balls with no extras to earn = quick death.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

£ 49.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 24.50
1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Holton, MI
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 13,748 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 275.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-show-us-your-em-pinball-machines/page/108 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.