Topic Stats

• 12,132 posts
  • 680 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by midniight
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7,948 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191117_141652 (resized).jpg
20191117_140230 (resized).jpg
20191117_140237 (resized).jpg
20191117_140224 (resized).jpg
20191117_140217 (resized).jpg
IMG_3103 (resized).JPG
IMG_3102 (resized).JPG
IMG_20191110_193917187 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191024_154651251 (resized).jpg
AT2 (resized).jpg
AT1 (resized).jpg
20191110_181329 (resized).jpg
20191110_181312 (resized).jpg
20191108_140747 (resized).jpg
20191108_140157 (resized).jpg
20191108_135936 (resized).jpg

There are 12132 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 243.
#5201 4 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Cabinet is severely yellowed and quite beat up, but that's just character!

That is a nice original cabinet.

#5202 4 years ago
Quoted from Toyguy:

Picked this old girl up over the weekend, a 1963 Gottlieb Flying Chariots. Definitely NOT a collector machine
Needs plenty of TLC, but is mostly there in terms of gameplay. It has some horrible relay buzzing going on, one of which gets to burning I think, so that's priority one. The rest is simple stuff - broken switch blades and the like. Cabinet is severely yellowed and quite beat up, but that's just character! Has a 20 Fr coin door, so apparently is a re-import. I may try to replace that with a US one if I can and maybe even a refresh/restore one day...
DSCN1537.JPG

If it has a 50hz score motor (standard voltage in France runs at 50hz) that would be the thing that I would consider replacing before I touched the coin door. Assuming you are in the US on 60hz power a 50hz score motor will run faster than normal, faster than a 60hz motor. The score reels and bells will be noticably faster. It's a pet peeve of mine regarding the couple of reimport EM games I have owned. Change out the motor to a 60hz motor and it will be normal.

And frankly, that coin door appears to be straight and should polish out decently with some Mother's Mag Polish.

#5203 4 years ago

Here's my World Fair. I finally repainted the rusty apron. I got the decal from Pinball Rescue. No web or spatter paint on the apron now but it sure looks better than the rust.

thumb_IMG_0372_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0373_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0375_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0374_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0731_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0232_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0234_1024.jpg

#5204 4 years ago

I just ordered the plastic numbered disc and the apron decal for my World Fair from Pinball Rescue. Glad to see that the decal looks so good. My apron was just faded almost to white; no rust. That's a fun game. I just got mine mostly working.

#5205 4 years ago

Pinball Rescue apron decals are a must have if your original is a bit scratched up. They look the goods.

#5206 4 years ago

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if someone is making apron decals for early 60's Bally's?

#5207 4 years ago

I'm on the Pinball Rescue waiting list to get the new World Fair plastics set. I didn't know the wheel was available yet. Thanks.

#5208 4 years ago
#5210 4 years ago

My Royal Flush gets a lot of playing time. Really a fun machine with a great layout.

DSC02353.jpg

DSC02354.jpg

#5211 4 years ago

In my mind, the EM genre of games were the most diverse, creatively themed, and most iconic pinball machines out there. While I'm too young to have any form of nostalgia for these games, it's hard not to appreciate the level of engineering that went into games like these.

What's more amazing is what can be done with relay ladder logic, and how it's still used today in some applications.

#5212 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

In my mind, the EM genre of games were the most diverse, creatively themed, and most iconic pinball machines out there.

Very true. When you look at what they are coming out with now it just helps confirm what you are saying.

Quoted from mbaumle:

While I'm too young to have any form of nostalgia for these games

Those of us that spent are youth playing them can tell you all about the letdown when the first solid states arrived in the arcades with their buzzing and beeping and lack of feel that the EMs had. It was like pinball was dying a painful death.

#5213 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Those of us that spent are youth playing them can tell you all about the letdown when the first solid states arrived in the arcades with their buzzing and beeping and lack of feel that the EMs had. It was like pinball was dying a painful death.

I actually stopped playing them for many years for this reason when the SS machines arrived.

Bruce

#5214 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

I actually stopped playing them for many years for this reason when the SS machines arrived.
Bruce

I kept playing a few years after, but once the video games came out that was pretty much it for me. I liked the early SS ok, despite the lack of reels and all the other sounds of an EM you grow up on, but I never really got used to them. When they started with all the ramps and the different level playfields and all the other stuff, that was it for me.

I've played a few DMDs, some I like ok, some I don't, but the problem to me is you just can't play one of them for the first time and be able to figure what you need to do. EMs were easy to figure out, but far from easy to conquer.

I thought when the Retro King of Diamonds came out that would be something cool, but then I played it. It was a great idea and they executed it as well as they could, but even though it might look like one, it's not an EM. It doesn't play like one. It doesn't feel like one. It doesn't sound like one.

#5215 4 years ago

Bruce

I stopped playing in 1982, Haunted House was the last pin I remember playing and it was OK as it still had an open Playfield. I was both sad and mad when SS machines fully took over. I really didn't mind that both were around in the late 70's and thought that was how it was going to be for a long time until an Operator told me....NOT! I quit pinball for 30 years after that, but when I discovered that EM's were now in collectors hands then I was back in a flash!

Ken

#5216 4 years ago

I didn't like the early solid states when they came out but played some Black Knight in the local arcade after the EMs went away. It seemed like the best of the bunch at the time. Still like that one. Nowadays I will try them all but some of those sound effects they used are still pretty annoying.

#5217 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I didn't like the early solid states when they came out but played some Black Knight in the local arcade after the EMs went away. It seemed like the best of the bunch at the time. Still like that one. Nowadays I will try them all but some of those sound effects they used are still pretty annoying.

I use "bad move, human" from Centaur as my text tone. Never get tired of it.

#5218 4 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I use "bad move, human" from Centaur as my text tone. Never get tired of it.

If I had a cell phone I would probably have the opening riff from Smoke on the Water as my ringtone.

#5219 4 years ago

It's not hard to find EM pinball chimes sounds to use as a ringtone.... simply amazing!

#5220 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When you look at what they are coming out with now it just helps confirm what you are saying.

This! If it takes serious computer code to make a pinball machine fun or even playable, this tells me the design of the machine is flawed from the gitgo. Can you say fan layout?

Space Mission/Odyssey was probably the last machine I compulsively fed quarters to as a youth. Now I own it.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

I thought when the Retro King of Diamonds came out that would be something cool, but then I played it. It was a great idea and they executed it as well as they could, but even though it might look like one, it's not an EM. It doesn't play like one. It doesn't feel like one. It doesn't sound like one.

I agree. It just doesn't feel right. Have you tried the new Whoa Nellie? It plays pretty EM-y, but with callouts. It's a blast. But 6 grand? Really?

Yo-Din, my recent World Fair pickup is really growing on me. Might even be up there with Teacher's Pet. The WF did require a hitap to really kick it up a notch, but man it's pretty fun. Just the right combo of skill and luck that sets EMs apart from the rest.

#5221 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I had a cell phone I would probably have the opening riff from Smoke on the Water as my ringtone.

I use the opening from Pink Floyd's "Sorrow"

#5222 4 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

This! If it takes serious computer code to make a pinball machine fun or even playable, this tells me the design of the machine is flawed from the gitgo.

I think today's pinball machines are geared more towards those that grew up playing video games than those that grew up playing pinball games. The designers aren't really to blame. They need a job like everybody else.

#5223 4 years ago

I just played a couple of games on the "Paul Bunyan". It plays very fast and there's always action. My wife likes it the best because of the six flippers, top, middle and bottom. There is something magical about playing a great EM that's tuned to play like new.

In fact, I'm starting a club for this game. Anyone who owns it, has played it, knows about it or is curious about "Paul Bunyan" is welcome.
Bruce

#5224 4 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I use the opening from Pink Floyd's "Sorrow"

"OFF-TOPIC" (Pantera's Cowboys from Hell and Testament's Sins of Omission makes mine!)

#5225 4 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

This! If it takes serious computer code to make a pinball machine fun or even playable, this tells me the design of the machine is flawed from the gitgo. Can you say fan layout?
Space Mission/Odyssey was probably the last machine I compulsively fed quarters to as a youth. Now I own it.

I agree. It just doesn't feel right. Have you tried the new Whoa Nellie? It plays pretty EM-y, but with callouts. It's a blast. But 6 grand? Really?
Yo-Din, my recent World Fair pickup is really growing on me. Might even be up there with Teacher's Pet. The WF did require a hitap to really kick it up a notch, but man it's pretty fun. Just the right combo of skill and luck that sets EMs apart from the rest.

I haven't played a Whoa Nellie, and unfortunately I'm not sure that even if I had the money/space for it, it would be allowed in the house. I mean, she's far from a prude, but that game is just really in your face with it. I'd love it, she probably would not.

#5226 4 years ago

Bruce

Bleep, bloop, blip... it was horrible!!!

Quoted from o-din:

I thought "Black Knight" was a blast when I first saw it in my favorite bowling alley's gameroom. I knew then and there that there was hope for pinball amid the video game invasion.

#5227 4 years ago

Just receive this!My first pinball ever,love it!

2015-10-30_20.29.45.jpg

#5228 4 years ago

20151008_173430a.JPGFinally getting around to posting a photo or two of my 1957 Gottlieb "Royal Flush" as it appeared at the recent York, PA show.

20151008_173845.jpg
20151008_173856a.JPG

#5229 4 years ago

Very nice jr!

#5230 4 years ago

Thanks, Wayner! It got a lot of play at the show, and didn't miss a beat.
My buddy brought the very nice "Crossroads" next to my game. That's a great game!

#5231 4 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

2015-10-30_20.29.45.jpg

Great player........

#5232 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

20151008_173430a.JPG Finally getting around to posting a photo or two of my 1957 Gottlieb "Royal Flush" as it appeared at the recent York, PA show.
20151008_173845.jpg
20151008_173856a.JPG

Awesome looking Royal Flush jr!

#5233 4 years ago

Finally starting to get my spare bedroom game room setup. Probably going to sell the JQ to get another wedge

image.jpeg

#5234 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Awesome looking Royal Flush jr!

Thanks, Hoov!

#5235 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Probably going to sell the JQ to get another wedge

Ahhhh YES!! Atlantis and Sky Jump, two of the best Wedge heads ever.

#5236 4 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Ahhhh YES!! Atlantis and Sky Jump, two of the best Wedge heads ever.

First and second wedge heads ever and I got them within the last few weeks Love them

#5237 4 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

2015-10-30_20.29.45.jpg

Which is...... (fill the blanks)!

#5238 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Looks like a Strange World.

#5239 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

20151008_173430a.JPG Finally getting around to posting a photo or two of my 1957 Gottlieb "Royal Flush" as it appeared at the recent York, PA show.
20151008_173845.jpg
20151008_173856a.JPG

Nice game!

And would love to play a Crossroads to see how it stacks up against the more well known pre 1955 games.

#5240 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Strange World,i dont take the best picture

#5241 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Funky multi coloured Gordon Morison Backglass. Large Gottlieb Logo. Crescent shaped cabinet side art. 4 by 3 grid of round playfield inserts. Can't be mistaken for anything other than Strange World.

#5242 4 years ago

Speaking of Gordon Morrison...

PB010259.JPG

PB010267.JPG

PB010263.JPG

#5243 4 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

Strange World,i dont take the best picture

Congrats..... I'm still looking for my first EM in order to join this awesome club!!!

#5244 4 years ago

Gordon Morrison backglass women are outstanding. IMHO

#5245 4 years ago

"Gordon Morrison backglass women are outstanding. IMHO "

Yes, but (no pun intended) he gave us this also:
300.jpg
E

#5246 4 years ago

Yeah, I never got that.

#5247 4 years ago

BTW Someones know if with some soundproofing,my EM will make less noise?I overestimate the noise being in an apartment

#5248 4 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

BTW Someones know if with some soundproofing,my EM will make less noise?I overestimate the noise being in an apartment

Just disable chime box or muffle it. I think you can do by tightening screws to ensure chime bars have less play.

I think that would help.

#5249 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Just disable chime box or muffle it.
I think that would help.

Ok,i just do it and wow a big difference!

#5250 4 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

Here is what I did with my Solar City. Tighten the chime bars. Then install rubber pads for furniture, under the levers. Some one mentioned cutting squares out of flip flops and placing them under the levers. The last thing I tried was to place a small wrapped towel on top of the chimes, just setting on top. The chimes are still audible. The problem is the score motor and the resetting relays.
Another Pinsider once also suggested attaching some Styrofoam to the bottom and rear of the game. But that may be extreme. Insulation could be fairly easily attached to back door. Carpet padding and a rectangle piece of carpet could also be placed under the game. Isolating the feet from the floor will go along to keeping the transfer of sound to a minimum.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 22.00
There are 12132 posts in this topic. You are on page 105 of 243.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside