Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by alkregha
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

In working on the steppers and score reels in my 1962 Williams World Series, I found screws that were either missing or rusted out or that had been replaced with incorrect replacements.

I have been able to mostly find replacements through McMaster Carr, but was curious for any thoughts or experiences with galvanic compatibility. For the machine screws and sheet-metal / wood screws that hold the steppers together, or hold the steppers to the wood assemblies, are there any real galvanic corrosion concerns? Most McMaster matches seem to be stainless or zinc plated.

I would assume the metal on the steppers is nickel plated steel, but am not sure the best way to go with replacements. Any recommendations appreciated.

Also, the screws that attach the score reels themselves (guessing the reels are aluminum)

#2 1 year ago

Bumping this topic. Trying to track down matching screws is proving difficult.

#3 1 year ago

If I remove a screw or a machine screw I almost always replace it, especially on Gottlieb games - because I hate slot head screws. I also often change screws in Williams and Bally when I take them out of step units and such, if they look rusty.

Just plain zinc plated sheet metal screws and machine screws that I buy in bulk in various lengths. Never had any kind of galvanic reaction in over 30 years.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks for confirming edednedy ! I had assumed as much but wanted some experiential data! Thanks!

#5 1 year ago

Pinball Resource sells Gottlieb hardware from the solid state era. I have gotten 8-32 slot pan head
    screws for drum units and drop target banks. Gottlieb used slotted round head screws for the EM
    drum units pinballs.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:Gottlieb used slotted round head screws for the EM
    drum units pinballs.

Gottlieb used slot head screws for pretty much everything.
    Pretty sure they did it just to piss me off.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from edednedy:

I took a new flat head screw driver and filed the head sides so as to be perpendicular
    rather than wedge angled.. The screw driver now fits into the Gottlieb's sloted head
    hardware.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from edednedy:

Gottlieb used slot head screws for pretty much everything.

Preacher! The Phillips screw head was invented in 1932, I believe Gottlieb just went around and picked up every standard screw that everyone else in the industry was throwing out to save money.

#9 1 year ago

Gottlieb tip: Add a dab of contact cement to your flat tip screw driver.
    It is a godsend for areas that are hard to have finger access too.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

Gottlieb tip: Add a dab of contact cement to your flat tip screw driver.
    It is a godsend for areas that are hard to have finger access too.

These work really well too. Klein slotted screw holder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00093GCVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

These work really well too. Klein slotted screw holder.
    amazon.com link »

"Not designed for torquing or tightening". Well of course, who would want to tighten a screw?

#12 1 year ago

All the above mentioned things will make it somewhat easier to start or tighten slot head screws.
    But you know what works best? Replace them with Phillips screws.

#13 1 year ago

I've found that a decent quality flat blade, parallel face, screwdriver works just fine with the Gottlieb screws.

Such as the Gardner Bender or Klein insulated shaft screwdrivers. The right tool for the job.

But that's just me.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

"Not designed for torquing or tightening". Well of course, who would want to tighten a screw?

Trust me they tighten screws to acceptable torque in an EM. Especially nice when servicing a Gottlieb Coin unit where there isn't space to start the mounting screws or the coin entrance plate with recessed holes.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

for areas that are hard to have finger access to

A magnetic screwdriver works well

#16 1 year ago

Now I’m really glad my Williams machine used mostly Phillips head screws

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-replacement-screws and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.