(Topic ID: 160772)

EM recommendations

By Backyardace

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0716 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0718 (resized).JPG
    image-19 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Looking to purchase my first EM machine and was looking for recommendations. Ideally I would like to pick one up for around $600 or less. This will be my second pin with the first being a DMD.

I have the chance to get a Mibs for $400 locally and will be playing it on Saturday.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

Flipper size? Era? Drop targets? Multi-player? Lots of options...what are you interested in?

#3 7 years ago

I think the AAB games offer a different dimension too.
    faz

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Flipper size? Era? Drop targets? Multi-player? Lots of options...what are you interested in?

I like drop targets. Single player or muti-player doesn't matter to me.

#5 7 years ago

I think 60s or 70s era would be my preference.

Any comments on Mibs for those who have played it?

#6 7 years ago

Mibs is a good game. Same layout as Rack-A-Ball and Bowling Queen. $400 COULD be a good price depending on condition.

#7 7 years ago

Get the MIBS, put sleeves in Play field coils,re-build the pop bumpers and get all the lights working.Then you will decide to take it further.

#8 7 years ago

MiBs has backbox animation which is cool...I haven't heard a lot of love for the gameplay but have never tried it myself.

#9 7 years ago

I like boobs in my ems

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I like boobs in my ems

and in my house, in my life, in my dreams...

#11 7 years ago

Jungle Princess/Queen
    Gottlieb Ed Krynski designed drop target fun fest.It got me hooked at age 9.its hot

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

I like drop targets. Single player or muti-player doesn't matter to me.

If you like drop targets, and you're new to EMs, then you would be better off with a single player. First, the ruleset on a single player drop target game is superior to a multi player. Multiplayers will reset the targets after every ball. You basically play three, or five, single games. Basically you will carry over your score and nothing else.

That's not even including that multi players are a bit more complex and as an EM beginner, that might not be the best option.

If you want to play against others, then of course the multi player is the choice. But just for pure EM experience, IMO, single players are superior. And if you like drop targets, Gottlieb probably is your best bet. Williams and Bally made great games, even during the drop target era, but I think Gottlieb had the lead there when it comes to drop target games. I never have believed they were superior overall, but for that particular game feature, I think they were.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Jungle Princess/Queen
    Gottlieb Ed Krynski designed drop target fun fest.It got me hooked at age 9.its hot

I love my Jungle Queen. Then again, it's my first machine and the only one I have set up and running at the moment! I too like drop targets. I like having the skill shots to sort of balance the luck (or lack there of!) of the game.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Williams and Bally made great games, even during the drop target era,

There was a time when Williams was the only choice for drop target games.

Hard to go wrong with any of them.

#15 7 years ago

I like my Space Mission. There aren't any drop targets, but plenty of other fun stuff.

8 months later
    #16 7 years ago

I'm going to revive this old thread.

As someone mentioned on this discussion already, single players can be a little more "complex" with game-rules, scoring, etc. Also, they are "easier" to fix and not as complex mechanics-wise.

I'm a newbie to EM's - I LOVE the artwork and the idea of "stepping it down" a notch or two from the "rip roarin'" ramps and animated DMD's. BUT, the only exposure I've had so far are to pins set-up at conventions where the playfield is almost flat, and the flippers are weak - they have played ssssllllooowwww and immediately lost my attention.

I like drop targets/spinners and the idea of having to have a strategy to get the most points, and the "bonus collect" idea. Theme doesn't matter.

So far I have trolled some threads and seen a lot of comments on some multi-player games - it looks like Surfer/Champ is a lot of fun amongst some others.

Volley looks like a really fun machine and is in my crosshairs. Jungle Princess/Queen looks fun but I hate that the targets don't reset until the ball drains.

So what would some game titles be that would win me over???

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

So what would some game titles be that would win me over???

#18 7 years ago

So that's a good one 'eh EM-Pinman - now to locate one! There was one on Kentucky Craigs List - a beauty! Oh well...........

2 weeks later
    #19 7 years ago

Quick Draw/Fast Draw is as good or better. You'd be equally as happy with it if you happen to find it sooner.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Boatcat:

Quick Draw/Fast Draw is as good or better. You'd be equally as happy with it if you happen to find it sooner.

Thanks, I'm looking around............

#21 7 years ago

I'm looking around............

Sounds like with a wide open mind, which will should get you the best
    quick overall deal (without shipping).. I'd say once you have a machine on the
    hook with a price, you can pretty much count on getting spot on advice here
    if you should reel her in or not..

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Sounds like with a wide open mind, which will should get you the best
    quick overall deal (without shipping).. I'd say once you have a machine on the
    hook with a price, you can pretty much count on getting spot on advice here
    if you should reel her in or not..

Appreciate all the help. I want to like the EM experience, I really do. All I've played are sssllloow with practically no angle and weak flippers.

Once I locate a few I'll be sure to ask about them.

-Nate

#23 7 years ago

Appreciate all the help. I want to like the EM experience, I really do. All I've played are sssllloow with practically no angle and weak flippers.
    Once I locate a few I'll be sure to ask about them.
    -Nate

If you think EM's are slow, play one of the mid-1970's & up Williams or Bally pins with DC pop bumpers & slingshots.
    Williams Aztec would be a good example --- the addition of DC really makes these snappy.

#24 7 years ago

Dasvis,

Thanks for the recommendation - I will be sure to do that.

I guess I'm just a product of the late70's early 80's machine days!!!

-N

#25 7 years ago

Playing/play testing an EM that's not fast and snappy would be like playing a DMD with half its lights out and the ramps missing. I think a nice example of a particular title needs to be played to get the true 'fun factor' rating.

I went to a show once where one of my favorite pins I owned was for sale. I played it, and thought afterward, 'if this would've been my first pinball experience I might not of been interested in ever playing another'.

#26 7 years ago

presqueisle;

Totally agree. My exposure so far hasn't been under the best of conditions.....

#27 7 years ago

I like drop targets/spinners and the idea of having to have a strategy to get the most points, and the "bonus collect" idea. Theme doesn't matter.

Williams Grand Prix. It's all there. High score productions.....

image-19 (resized).jpgimage-19 (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

O-din, thanks for your input. Will do some research on this one. I like the looks of those tricky kick-out holes with no "borders" around them!!

#29 7 years ago

I like the looks of those tricky kick-out holes with no "borders" around them!!

Like I said, it's all there. Spinners, drop targets, kickout holes, in ball and after ball bonus, DC pops and slings. A literal fast playing, scorefest of a machine. But be careful as those inlanes are a little tricky.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Williams Grand Prix. It's all there. High score productions.....

Oh

Quoted from dasvis:

Williams Aztec would be a good example

Hell

Quoted from Boatcat:

Quick Draw/Fast Draw is as good or better.

Yes.

This just proves you can't have only one. You've got the some great spinner action games on one side, and some target shooters on the other.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh

Hell

Yes.
    This just proves you can't have only one. You've got the some great spinner action games on one side, and some target shooters on the other.

You got to buy at least 3 machines a year to keep it interesting. Start out by buying a machine with a nice playfield and original cabinet paint. Single players are easier to work on.

#32 7 years ago

Wowza, now the recommendations are coming in. Glad for them as Allentown is just around the corner.

I read that Grand Prix is kind of complicated mechanics-wise, plus being a four-player game. I think I would want a fully-working EM for my first go-round.

yeah, is that a GAP in those "in" lanes - sneaky!!?!!

Don't have the space for 3 at a time, but once I get one, I figure it would be great to start trading so I could try others.

Thanks guys.

#33 7 years ago

I read that Grand Prix is kind of complicated mechanics-wise, plus being a four-player game. I think I would want a fully-working EM for my first go-round.

Grand Prix is packed full. Not complicated but full. Gave mine a tune up when I got it and fixed a couple small things and it ran like a Formula 1 car.

Single player games have less parts to keep going, but there is only one machine that I know of that has both spinners and drop targets.

And you'd have to be very patriotic to own one.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=557&picno=39015

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Single player games have less parts to keep going, but there is only one machine that I know of that has both spinners and drop targets.
    And you'd have to be very patriotic to own one.
    http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=557&picno=39015

Old Chicago has a spinner & drops

#35 7 years ago

Drops?? Didn't see any on Conquest 2000.

I see there's a Grand Prix for sale - but $1000???

Yes, I hear "Old Chicago" mentioned a lot - want to play that one.

Enjoying the conversation -

Nate

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe spinner and not spinners make the difference..
    I can't think of any off hand, but seems there has to be another machine with a couple
    spinners and drops..
    Regardless difficulty or not, Grand Prix is a good one to pick up if one pops up local, and
    quite a few other titles also. I think he stated like a $600.00 game. The key here is, picking
    one up with no shipping.. (T)

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Regardless difficulty or not, Grand Prix is a good one to pick up if one pops up local, and
    quite a few other titles also. I think he stated like a $600.00 game. The key here is, picking
    one up with no shipping.. (T)

Man, I don't know. Grand Prix is a pretty complicated pin to repair for a newbie... a lot going on there.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Man, I don't know. Grand Prix is a pretty complicated pin to repair for a newbie... a lot going on there.

Yes, that is true... And Grand Prix wasn't my first game, but it was my first pin and to be truthful,
    it was a piece of cake compared to my first machine..
    Back in the Swap Sheet days, I was looking for a ping pong table and ended up with a 1956
    United puck bowler that was apart in boxes. I remember when I was like 10, my older brother
    bought a shuffle bowler (now I know it was United's Regulation) that looked very much like this
    Handicap. I was determined and dozens of hours later I was shuffling. Oh yes, on top of it all,
    it had a burned out transformer (someone put a fuse in both the High and Low lines) but it did
    come with another one for me to install..
    But getting back, I probably left a couple sentences out. My mistake. If a Grand Prix shows up (or any
    other decent player) for a good price within driving distance, I say pick it up. Unlike back in the 90s
    with my small Pennysaver wanted ads, these opportunities aren't so plentiful..
    I still (and imagine) will always have the Grand Prix, and despite that there's many more machines set up
    than what's pictured, it still gets its share amount of play during gatherings..
    But all in all, I'm sure what ever he does happen to pick up, he'll be getting much support from you guys.. (T)

IMG_0718 (resized).JPGIMG_0718 (resized).JPG

#39 7 years ago

Oh yes, still have the Handicap, and it's not in bad shape, although I had two
    others in much better condition, and still have another nice one stored, but we had
    too much fun with this particular one when there was just a pool table, ping pong,
    and the Handicap too ever let it leave.. (T)

IMG_0716 (resized).JPGIMG_0716 (resized).JPG

#40 7 years ago

Mopar:

That Sound Stage has great/tacky art!!! Wowsa.

I see a Surfer too!!

#41 7 years ago

I see a Surfer too!!

Ya, Sound Stage does have the Hips working a bit, and some just ignore C.C. pins,
    but Sounds Stage to me is good enough to keep set up, plus this one's in pretty
    good shape..
    I once had a Surf Champ that was near mint, but back then, I wasn't too fond
    of Gottlieb Multi-Players and traded it. Then from a Pennysaver wanted ad a Surfer
    and Triple Strike popped up and after a 3 hour travel, I said I'll take the Surfer for
    the $100.00, and she said take them both for that. They're just in the way..
    Had the Surfer statched away for years but did go through the Triple Strike
    to use as a trading piece and I'll tell you, I was surprised that it was actually
    not a bad player, but did let it go..
    After years stored, I periodically kept hearing how Surf Champ was a (from good
    to super player), so I went through it and had to agree, it's a machine worth keeping in
    a line up and then realized being near mint, trading the Surf Champ wasn't the best trading
    move I've made, but the Surfer's in decent shape.
    The Gottlieb Strikes and Spares is now in the other room, and after pushing the
    Sound Stage over in that spot, EM Joker Poker sits next to the Surfer..
    Oh, I remember Hokus Pokus was another one that revealed long legs, and kinda wish
    I kept it. That machine had the fastest and long lasting spinner I've ever played..

#42 7 years ago

Mopar, love the stories!

#43 7 years ago

Mopar, love the stories!

Thanks Nate. Busy last couple days (actually month, no kidding) but when I kick back,
    I check in..
    One time while playing a Buddy on Hokus Pokus, off the Flipper I fired a strong shot through
    the center spinner and then it quickly drained. After it switched over to player 2, (I was 1) that spin
    shot was still adding up points for player 2. Any good shot and that spinner flew, but draining
    so quickly made it possible to see something happen that I had never experienced..
    I keep forgetting this topic's not really for stories, but a least we got the word out that Sound
    Stage and Hokus Pokus would be okay for starters..

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I was referring to single player games. If you can come up with another I'd like to hear about it. In my collection of mostly short flipper games from the 60s, I've got drop targets on a lot of my Williams games and the only one with a spinner is Gottlieb Fun Park.

In the 70s both companies combined each others innovations so you could get both on a one machine, but from what I can tell, they are almost all multiplayers including Bally's Old Chicago.

Drops?? Didn't see any on Conquest 200

It's those two round targets next to the spinners.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It's those two round targets next to the spinners

Gotcha, thanks.

#46 7 years ago

Abracadabra? Looks fun hitting the target to re-set drops.....

#47 7 years ago

Abra is a fun game IMO.

A very simple rule set, with the unpredictable low pop bumpers, the roving bonus light on the drop targets, and the ability to reset the targets in-ball.

And great artwork all around

#48 7 years ago

Hi-Deal??

#49 7 years ago

imo just ok at best

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

imo just ok at best

Was thinking that - too bad because I LOVE the art - wish it had drops like HangGlider does..............

Evel K looks fun, and I can "fudge" the EM experience by picking up the SS version!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-recommendations-1?hl=davebuckholts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.