4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I feel bad for not rating games, but I always start and then stop because I think to myself, "I haven't played enough different games to justify my opinions". I am not sure I could rate any of the games I own too far below any other, because I like them all (kind of like asking someone which of their kids they like better). Games I may have played elsewhere, that I didn't immediately care for, possibly weren't played enough for me to warrant a lower grade. I can't dump on a Em game!

Am I the type of guy who shouldn't rate because I will 'skew' it up?

#2 4 years ago

go ahead and rate them...

the em guys really don't care about "the ratings" anyway... we know what we like...

#3 4 years ago

I agree, go for it! You're as entitled to your opinion as anyone.

HOWEVER: If you're going to rate games, take a few minutes to write a paragraph or two about the gameplay -- what to shoot for, how to score points, where the ball drains if you're not careful, that kind of thing. I couldn't care less about a numerical rating but I often get very interested in other people's gameplay descriptions, because I didn't grow up on these games and they can't be played just anywhere. A few words of description also gives some context for what you like and don't like.

#4 4 years ago

Great advice guys. Yes, the descriptions are the best part of those ratings. I will do my best. Look for me in the top 10 everybody!

#5 4 years ago

I always struggle with this as well. Partly because like you said, I haven't played them all. The other thing is that my opinion of a game may change as time passes. When you get a new game and you're in the honeymoon stage, it may seem like the cat's pajamas, but in retrospect it may not be. I've rated a few that I owned at the time, and like you, feared I may have skewed them a little high. Now that my outlook may have changed on a game that has left, I'm not entirely sure I remember all the nuances of the gameplay. So I don't feel comfortable editing my old reviews either.

As textrivers said though I think the real value in these ratings are the comments. They usually give you some insight to not only the gameplay but what's important to the rater. Art, nostalgia, competition or personally challenging...

#6 4 years ago

i agree with textrivers and alex on the "commentary" part... that part is useful.... the number part is what i was referring to in my first post...

#7 4 years ago

The more rating the better.

All ratings are subjective anyway. Only have to look at NIB games ratings. Owners usually rate super high as no one wants to admit buying a dud!

Interesting to hear what features draw people to particular games i.e it's the 300 point shot on Cross Town that is a game changer for me.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

go ahead and rate them...
    the em guys really don't care about "the ratings" anyway... we know what we like...

Like he said.opinions are like a%#&*#%s,everybodys got one

#9 4 years ago

I rate only when irate.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 200.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 22.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 230.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    TheDudeMods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside