Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by NicoVolta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5376A.jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

(spoiler: kind of a loaded question, but feel free to play along)

As of 2015 we can still obtain EM's from free to a few hundred dollars for your basic Craigslist beater with decent but peeling/red-faded backglass, good playfield with some wear, faded cabinet art with some scratches, and "mostly working" in need of a complete shop job condition...

...but what about complete, minty, better-than-new restorations? As far as I know, no one is tracking this. Let's do a little math...

Dave currently owns an EM which has been sitting at the back of his garage for years. He wants it taken to "better than new" condition. Assuming he doesn't do any of the work himself, he orders...

1) A comprehensive 30-hour shop job in which every mech, switch, lamp socket, contact, lever, score reel, stepper, relay, button, spinner, drop target, slingshot, pop bumper, flipper, motor, electrical connection, and jones plug gets disassembled, cleaned, re-soldered, replaced, adjusted, gapped, sprung, tightened, fixed, burnished, lubricated, re-riveted, and/or replaced. I know of at least one shop in Texas which charges a minimum of $750 to do this. Even then, not "obsessively"... but let's assume so for this example.

2) A nice NOS backglass or quality reproduction, new playfield glass, and set of playfield plastics. Let's use $400.

3) A cabinet repaint (disassemble, stencil, strip, sand, bondo, prime, match colors, paint, apply webbing, paint, reassemble). One of our local members is well-known for his quality work in this regard. Typically $500-$600. Let's use $550.

4) Polish, rechrome, and/or replace all external metal parts (coin door, plate, strike plate, legs, rails, buttons, shooter). Let's use $200.

5) Clear coat playfield (strip, prep, fill inserts, touchups, clear, repeat many times). Let's use $500... somewhere between HSA and DIY for a good candidate.

6) Reassemble and test. Did we miss anything?

Shop rebuild: $750
    Glass & plastics: $400
    Repaint: $550
    Metals: $200
    PF resto: $500

Total: $2400

At this point we still haven't discussed the "better than new" tweaks. What about installing cabaret lighting under the ball arch, as Gottlieb did for many years? What about stealth LED's? What about double lighting star rollovers? Maybe replace all lamp sockets including custom rebuilds of lamp socket strips and those pain-in-the-ass Bally backbox sockets? If we include all that, let's add another $300... minimum.

At this point, Dave has spent $2700 for an outstanding bulletproofed museum piece. He'd have to sell it for $3000 just to break even if you also count the "base" value for the original game as-is ($300).

Is this too much? Or not enough? Or right on?

#2 8 years ago

Take the PF resto out of the picture and you have 1900 dollars. Lets call it 2000. Unless you plan to keep the machine or the machine is worth 2000 to others then you are not going to get your money back. There are only a few titles that warrant a 2000+ price tag when restored.

#3 8 years ago

There to many variables in this.

1). Take any EM pin and do the restoration you list. As Dan states above "You are not going to get your money back".

2). Some people will pay as that pin was their Dads or Grandpa's, so money is not an object, sentimentality is the object.

3) Some people enjoy restoring pins (or cars), just for the hobby. They to generally do not worry about profit, just the satisfaction of saving a game from the wood chipper. The leisure time they spend is joy enough for them. Sometimes even the accolades from their piers, for the quality of the workmanship, is their joy.

#4 8 years ago

True... does anyone want a fully restored Big Ben for $3k? :p

"It's not worth anything until someone buys it."

Well then, I guess a more interesting turn we could take with this thread is exactly which games *would* be worth it?

I'm "going there" with all of my games, so what the hell. Price be damned... just gonna do it.

#5 8 years ago

In the end it is still cheaper and better to buy home use only.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I'm "going there" with all of my games, so what the hell. Price be damned... just gonna do it.

I would say, "Go For It!". Your efforts will not go unrewarded.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Or the vary elusive New in Crate.

#8 8 years ago

Plenty of people bought those "restored" Restoration Hardware games for $4k. They sold out, didn't they?? And they didn't have anywhere near the amount of work done to them you described.

To make that money off a restored B or C list EM all you'll need is RH's mailing list, I guess..

#9 8 years ago

Hmmm. One thing I am running into is that some parts for older games are simply unobtainium. In many cases suitable replacements have to be hand crafted. Many other details are quite labor intensive (the ol' labor of love). It's tough to put a dollar value on that. No, I wouldn't expect to come even anywhere close to breaking even. I would only be able to hope that if I had to sell for space or a new interest, that I could find someone wanting the title that could make a "reasonable offer". Again, that would still probably be nowhere near the estimated value of what went into it.

In my mind, any high end restoration should be done for the joy and sentimental value to the hobby.

#10 8 years ago

I just want them to look great and not break whenever I have a party and/or open a barcade or whatever. Hope I never have to sell one, but if so, that the value isn't destroyed by incorrect appraisals.

Case in point: A guy at TPF this year pointed to my award winning original King of Diamonds and said, "That game right there is a $1200 game all day long."

No, pardner, it ain't.

It sold for $1700 because I was in a hurry.

Someone asked about Doozie at TPF 2014 and I said $800 firm. Her reply, "We looked online and your price is WAY high."

It sold for $800.

Too low, honestly. Which is why I never restore for money or commit the process to games I don't feel 100% about.

If you look at my profile page, you'll see the games which are getting "the treatment". 19 and counting thus far...

#11 8 years ago

Pretty sure such treatment is only deserving of Ballys and Williams. That's where the money's at, and those are definitely the only ones worth doing. The rest aren't worth the effort, and better left original, to cling to what pitiful value they have remaining, otherwise you'll end up underwater on cost/value in a hurry. Anything else just ruins them, and the museums won't want them at that point anyway.

But the Ballys and Williams should get all the attention you can spare. Undivided attention. The rest can be easily ignored. Plenty of Ballys and Williams out there to do. Ballys and Williams...

#12 8 years ago

We should save them all. But there are some better left for parts.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

But the Ballys and Williams should get all the attention you can spare. Undivided attention. The rest can be easily ignored.

Huh? Ignored? I thought it was the single player Gottliebs that were the most sought after by collectors. Ebay figures support this.

Gottlieb 4 Belles - Sold for $2350 and $3161
    Gottlieb Buffalo Bill - Sold for $2500 and $8601
    Gottlieb Roto Pool - Sold for $3050
    and the creme de la creme...
    Gottlieb Mermaid - $15,127 and $22,000

#14 8 years ago

The right games restored well can sell for good money but usually they are cherry titles......not always though.

Actually in reality though, highly restored games do sell for more usually but probably because they sell to a different market.

But they can never be 'better than new'.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not many of those around. Very, very few. Some may be HUO for the past however many years, but the vast majority were routed at some point in time.

On the OP, if you can get all that external metal for that price, let me know where. No way you're going to get all of that new/replated for that kind of money.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Huh? Ignored? I thought it was the single player Gottliebs that were the most sought after by collectors. Ebay figures support this.

That is just Dirts way of saying he hates to see Gottliebs get cab repaints and cleared play fields.

#17 8 years ago

That's the big $ question. Full resto or rich patina? Right now there's a movement with car buffs to lock in oxidized pant and light rust with clearcoat and proudly show its age and wear but of course perfectly working and mod'd under the hood. Does the buyer want a link to the past with all the scrapes or does the owner want to see that incredible glow from a better then new game clear coated pin?

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

4) Polish, rechrome, and/or replace all external metal parts (coin door, plate, strike plate, legs, rails, buttons, shooter). Let's use $200.

Can this be done for $200 locally in the DFW Area?

Marcus

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Plenty of people bought those "restored" Restoration Hardware games for $4k. They sold out, didn't they?? And they didn't have anywhere near the amount of work done to them you described.
    To make that money off a restored B or C list EM all you'll need is RH's mailing list, I guess..

I am unaware of Restoration Hardware games was this what happened or is it sarcasm, did they sell and there is a market or did they not?

#20 8 years ago

The $200 figure assumed existing metals were good enough to be reused. Agreed the figure is on the low side and implies a good bit of elbow grease and a pal who runs a body shop.

Funny Dirt... lol I got the hint. But truth be told I think a good number of old Williams and Bally games are just as fun as their Gottlieb equivalents and are built like tanks.

VECTOR is gaining momentum and our project queue is full and busy every night. New members seem to be most interested in restoring EM's. HUO's are great if you can find them... but at this point in time most of the fun is in bringing near-dead ones back to sparkling minty glory. Agreed "better than new" is a bit of a misnomer, but then again, as we go through every single part we correct and upgrade the shortcuts made at the factory.

I hope to feature at least a dozen restos at TPF 2016 which passed through VECTOR. Good opportunity to showcase what we've been up to & meet all the new members coming into the fold.

#21 8 years ago

I can totally appreciate Dirts philosophy. But if you think about it, it only really applies to games that are an overall 8 or better. Anything less and most hardcore Gottlieb collectors won't touch them anyway. So I see no harm in bringing the lesser games up to par. Your spending money but adding value to a game that otherwise may not have much "collector value" left in it. It's just a judgment call when the conditions are borderline.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Pretty sure such treatment is only deserving of Ballys and Williams. That's where the money's at, and those are definitely the only ones worth doing. The rest aren't worth the effort, and better left original, to cling to what pitiful value they have remaining, otherwise you'll end up underwater on cost/value in a hurry. Anything else just ruins them, and the museums won't want them at that point anyway.
    But the Ballys and Williams should get all the attention you can spare. Undivided attention. The rest can be easily ignored. Plenty of Ballys and Williams out there to do. Ballys and Williams...

Too many great sixties Williams games to be lumping them all in with the Ballys.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

VECTOR is gaining momentum and our project queue is full and busy every night.

better start making room.....

--Jeff

#24 8 years ago

First your "better than new" would detract from the game. I have no interest in a modded EM. I think most EM collector are looking for something that looks original.

My target is usually something like: "My confirmed bachelor uncle bought it new in 1972 and when his best friend who used to come over and play pinball for hours on end died in the mid 80's he threw a blanket over the game and there it sat until I got it in his estate. "

I really see nothing wrong with a good repaint. But most repaints I see are too bright and just don't look right. Cobwebbing is off etc. I've seen a few good ones lately here, but it is hard to tell over the old interweb.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

I am unaware of Restoration Hardware games was this what happened or is it sarcasm, did they sell and there is a market or did they not?

There's been several pinball machines sold on the Restoration Hardware site over the last year. I don't know who is doing their restorations, what has been done mechanically, or what kind of warranty is offered. This is current:

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod4810039&categoryId=cat5140032

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

At one point, last year before the holidays, Restoration Hardware had about a dozen games for sale on their website for about $4k each. Not "overly" restored by any means, most showed definite signs of wear, dented coin doors, etc. They were games like Op Pop Pop, GTB Universe, and other not quite A games. And they sold them. Every one of them.

I know of one person who contacted me that bought one of these games and wanted me to repair it then offered to sell it to me for what he paid for it. He was absolutely fine with the price he paid for it too, so, technically, there IS a market for the $4,000 EM. Just not anyone I know...

#27 8 years ago

"Better than new" does not necessarily detract from the game as long as everything is done in the spirit of the original. It takes both an artistic eye and lots of familiarity with pinball to do this successfully.

We take extra care to match colors, avoid using LED's which contrast/blink/color cycle, and preserve the "feel" in as many ways as possible. Nothing will be the same as a HUO in mint condition of course... but the vast majority of surviving games are nowhere near that nice. For them, our evolving process puts them back on par with some nice extras to boot.

It's a win-win.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

He was absolutely fine with the price he paid for it too, so, technically, there IS a market for the $4,000 EM. Just not anyone I know...

100%. People will pay. Just that it is not every single Pinsiders' desire.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

100%. People will pay. Just that it is not every single Pinsiders' desire.

I have to wipe the floor every time I look at this pic. I certainly would have paid the $6699 top dollar for this if I had the cash.

5376A.jpg5376A.jpg

7 months later
    #30 8 years ago

Well... eight months in and I can confirm the estimated labor/material costs hold up... for those who want it. The market is there.

My 2001 has two buyers lined up at $3500. Has been given "the treatment": Clear coat, stealth LED, cabaret lights, repaint, polished metals, full rebuild, etc. Even so, after all is said and done, it's not really worth my time. Only selling because it is a duplicate.

I'm also doing a commissioned Williams A-Go-Go for a friend's boss as a favor. Same treatment, similar price points. Normally wouldn't have agreed to do it because the time investment doesn't pan out. Maybe $15-$20/hr at best. But this is spare time work and it helps a friend... so... there you go. *shrug*

Realistically, for this level of attention to detail and resto-modding, I'd need to price them around $5000 to be truly viable as a part-time business. But I'd rather spend my time incorporating them into my future barcade concept so all of *you* can come and play them instead of watching my efforts get stuffed away in some private gameroom in suburbia...

#31 8 years ago

At $3500 not worth your time? $20/hr is not bad work... No you cant do it for a primary job but its a nice secondary income.

#32 8 years ago

Probably closer to $15. It's good for filling my spare time but I don't have any lately! Would be a more reasonable gig if I were retired... though by then I fear Steve Young might be out of business and parts impossible to find...

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Well... eight months in and I can confirm the estimated labor/material costs hold up... for those who want it. The market is there.
    My 2001 has two buyers lined up at $3500. Has been given "the treatment": Clear coat, stealth LED, cabaret lights, repaint, polished metals, full rebuild, etc. Even so, after all is said and done, it's not really worth my time. Only selling because it is a duplicate.
    I'm also doing a commissioned Williams A-Go-Go for a friend's boss as a favor. Same treatment, similar price points. Normally wouldn't have agreed to do it because the time investment doesn't pan out. Maybe $15-$20/hr at best. But this is spare time work and it helps a friend... so... there you go. *shrug*
    Realistically, for this level of attention to detail and resto-modding, I'd need to price them around $5000 to be truly viable as a part-time business. But I'd rather spend my time incorporating them into my future barcade concept so all of *you* can come and play them instead of watching my efforts get stuffed away in some private gameroom in suburbia...

Nico I'm intrigued by what you do. Is this a business? What is Vector? Sorry for the ignorance. Sounds really cool. As a displaced Texan here in the Seattle area, I would love to come to the Texas Pinball show sometime and see what you guys are doing there in the Lone Star State! Hopefully, I'll move back one day!

#34 8 years ago

VECTOR is a committee within the Dallas Makerspace, a non-profit neighborhood workshop. A place to collaborate and share "arcade tech" tricks of the trade and have fun with the hobby. Some people are here to restore their games, some tinker with the mechs, some innovate new parts, some re-theme their games, some want to build new ones from scratch altogether. We're all a bunch of Oompa Loompas in Willy Wonka's Pinball Factory. People also make MAME arcade cabinets too. The last one was a Mortal Kombat X themed arcade cab which turned out INCREDIBLE.

Pics of it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DMS.VECTOR/

My next goal is to open a barcade with craft beers and predominantly EM's linked together with social media and live camera aspects. I have about 25 EM's which are all being rebuilt from scratch via a custom process to bulletproof and protect them for the future. The main features of which are:

* custom blended LED/filament bulb recipe to mimic the original look, save power, decrease maintenance, enhance illumination
    * clear coated playfields to preserve artwork, re-level the playfield, save time (no waxing needed), and enhance appearance
    * 100% disassembly/reassembly of every piece... putting it back together "optimally"... polishing cam/chimes/woodwork/etc.
    * replacing all Bally/Williams lamp sockets and any corroded/questionable Gottlieb ones
    * polishing metals, fixing/repainting cabs, grounding work

All of this is a fairly OCD process and tremendously time-consuming (which is why it doesn't make sense to do this level of resto-modding as a business). But it makes sense for me, because my ultimate goal is to prepare my "pinball soldiers" for battle with the public on a long-term basis. I want people to have one last honeymoon with these wonderful machines before VR eats their brains forever. LOL

Isn't Seattle where everyone wants to move these days? Lots of pinball up there, I hear...

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Probably closer to $15. It's good for filling my spare time but I don't have any lately! Would be a more reasonable gig if I were retired... though by then I fear Steve Young might be out of business and parts impossible to find...

Im a lot closer then you are, in about 5 years Im looking to quit my day job and do more restorations myself. Im just hoping the pinball craze will last another 10 years along with Steve.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Im a lot closer then you are, in about 5 years Im looking to quit my day job and do more restorations myself. Im just hoping the pinball craze will last another 10 years along with Steve.

I'm praying to all the pinball gods there are that Steve either has a plan in place for someone to take over, or someone out there is interested in buying it all up and keeping it going.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I'm praying to all the pinball gods there are that Steve either has a plan in place for someone to take over, or someone out there is interested in buying it all up and keeping it going.

With his inventory the price tag would be extreme. Maybe somebody buys in and does the day to day.

Hey JR you need a better day job You and your brother!

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I know one thing.I don't know how old Steve is but I hope he outlives me.

Ted

#39 8 years ago

Nico,

I guess I am doing what you are doing in a small way. No Vector in Houston unfortunately nor many EM collectors. My restores are for me and I enjoy the restore part a lot. I like a minty game as I really appreciate what it takes to achieve one. A properly restored 'A' EM game dog brought back to a minty condition with a value of $3,000 + is not outrageous and the community can only be a winner in the long run.

The value is what certainly people will pay and as there will never be many due to the invested time necessary it can only be a small market. Certainly should insure them for a higher than book price though. Baseball, pinball, bingo all the same to me if they are collectible 'A' games.

You caught my eye with your non sales feature line "Custom blended LED/filament bulb recipe to mimic the original look, save power, decrease maintenance, enhance illumination".

I have not looked at LED's but its a pain in the ass to have to take a playfield up to change a bulb under a plastic a week after installing it. I notice new 47's bulbs quality are very poor and too many are failing on my restored games already. I am started saving the old working 44's as a possible substitute back into the games your feature sounds like a interesting alternative to consider.

I visited Seattle last summer and found it to be a nice interesting place with nice people. Traffic getting from one side of the city on a week day was quite a time challenge like say Toronto.

Steve J.

#40 8 years ago

Hiya Steve. I documented the stealth LED recipe here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stealth-led-a-recommended-recipe-for-ems

A growing issue stems from the fact that LED suppliers from China cannot guarantee color consistency over successive manufacturing runs. Thus, the recipe might not hold up over time... so I'm stocking up on the specified Comet LED's for my future conversions just in case. Cointaker's "premium super" already fell victim to the greenish curse... argh! That was my #1 go-to for pop bumpers. Looked perfect.

A lot of people go crazy with rainbow-cycling/color changer LED's in EM's... which is why a lot of this "anti-LED" mentality exists. Frankly, I don't like far out color choices either. Just because a piece of the backglass art is red does *not* mean a red LED will look good behind it! But truth be told, when implemented carefully, a blended approach looks very nice and offers many advantages over all-bulbs. Especially in the pop bumpers which often suffer from twisted filaments and burn out rapidly/scorch the caps. I'd ditch the old 44's though. I never use them anywhere. Too hot, too much amperage.

C'mon by the VECTOR booth and say hello... I'll have at least four games on the floor with "the recipe": 2001, Freedom, Snow Derby, and Pro-Football.

#41 8 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

VECTOR is a committee within the Dallas Makerspace, a non-profit neighborhood workshop. A place to collaborate and share "arcade tech" tricks of the trade and have fun with the hobby. Some people are here to restore their games, some tinker with the mechs, some innovate new parts, some re-theme their games, some want to build new ones from scratch altogether. We're all a bunch of Oompa Loompas in Willy Wonka's Pinball Factory. People also make MAME arcade cabinets too. The last one was a Mortal Kombat X themed arcade cab which turned out INCREDIBLE.
    Pics of it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DMS.VECTOR/
    My next goal is to open a barcade with craft beers and predominantly EM's linked together with social media and live camera aspects. I have about 25 EM's which are all being rebuilt from scratch via a custom process to bulletproof and protect them for the future. The main features of which are:
    * custom blended LED/filament bulb recipe to mimic the original look, save power, decrease maintenance, enhance illumination
    * clear coated playfields to preserve artwork, re-level the playfield, save time (no waxing needed), and enhance appearance
    * 100% disassembly/reassembly of every piece... putting it back together "optimally"... polishing cam/chimes/woodwork/etc.
    * replacing all Bally/Williams lamp sockets and any corroded/questionable Gottlieb ones
    * polishing metals, fixing/repainting cabs, grounding work
    All of this is a fairly OCD process and tremendously time-consuming (which is why it doesn't make sense to do this level of resto-modding as a business). But it makes sense for me, because my ultimate goal is to prepare my "pinball soldiers" for battle with the public on a long-term basis. I want people to have one last honeymoon with these wonderful machines before VR eats their brains forever. LOL
    Isn't Seattle where everyone wants to move these days? Lots of pinball up there, I hear...

Sounds cool. Seattle's business scene is booming, and there are many active (and really friendly) collectors in the area, although it seems most of the really good EMs have been snapped up in this area. But you can still find 'em if you hunt and/or are willing to have them shipped in or drive a few hours to get one. We also have the Seattle Pinball Musuem in downtown, which is a cool place to play EMs and modern pins, plus vintage arcade games.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

With his inventory the price tag would be extreme. Maybe somebody buys in and does the day to day.
    Hey JR you need a better day job You and your brother!

My brother and I have batted this around, but the fact is, Steve isn't much older than I am. If I were fifteen years younger, it would be something I'd consider if Steve decided to bow out and would make suitable arrangements for us to carry on the business.
    I will hopefully be in a postion to retire reasonably soon myself and leave "The Vampire State".

#43 8 years ago

Better than new. Isn't that some kind of an oxy-moron?

#44 8 years ago

I was curious about this idea myself. Maybe an entry-fee venue with EMs could promote local interest to the point where people will be willing to part with $3K or more for a super-reliable, working piece of vintage americana. It doesn't seem to be there yet, but hopefully your Vector and barcade efforts will help it along. Gotta carve out a complementary mindset to compete with the white-glove, museum-piece thinking, which gets close to fetishizing IMO.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Better than new. Isn't that some kind of an oxy-moron?

Heh... kind of. It sounds silly but some improvements really are better than what was originally offered. I have an AX stepper relay replacement in the lab right now. Once I get it optimized for production, it will indeed be better than new. Much, much better.

Stay tuned. You'll want some.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Heh... kind of. It sounds silly but some improvements really are better than what was originally offered. I have an AX stepper relay replacement in the lab right now. Once I get it optimized for production, it will indeed be better than new. Much, much better.

You've been down this road before when you wanted to convert an EM to SS technology. The companies already did that back in the late 70s. It's like putting electronic ignition into a '55 Chevy. Is it more reliable? Sure. Is it true to the original car? Not at all.

I think you mean AS stepper. The AX is a relay, not a stepper. The AS is a PITA, but still, it's part of what EMs were. When you start replacing those parts with modern stuff, then the game isn't what it really was back then. It's pretty much what Herb Silvers tried with KoD.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Cool. Is it a SS or EM replacement?

#48 8 years ago

Correct you are, sir... but let's not forget I've only been in this hobby for 2 1/2 years. My original goal of EM->SS conversion was ill-informed partly out of lack of knowledge and partly due to laziness. In the beginning, I didn't WANT to learn EM technology... thought SS would be a clean way to bypass all of that "old stuff". Ha! Glad I didn't pursue that angle. Only by taking the long road and rebuilding every piece from a dozen EM's, over and over, have I properly learned the reasons why the original designers did what they did. The knowledge is now serving me well.

After playing the KOD retro project, I can see what went wrong with it. It was a neat idea, but it veered too far from common expectations of how a classic pin should feel and play. But I don't think such ideas are completely off the mark. The Mission Pinball guys have done a bang-up job of creating an open source pinball framework. It can control reels and advance them just like EM hardware... very promising. https://missionpinball.com/blog/2014/11/big-shot-expo-2014/

EM mechs are cool because you can hear and feel them snap and buzz which is part of the experience. But the AS stepper is an exception. It doesn't contribute anything tangible to the experience except frustration. Many of them double-clutch, do not evenly step, have worn gears, or do not make solid electrical contact. Or all of the above. Sure, I can fix them, but I worry about long-term reliability. Especially in a public venue with heavy use. Since the steppers are plug-and-play w/Jones connectors... it will be a simple matter for an end-user to upgrade. Several people have told me they'd be interested at a $50 price point: "Yeah, if I don't have to worry about those little pieces of crap... I'll take a hundred of 'em" kind of thing.

It takes creativity to seamlessly bridge old and new, but I think "best of both worlds" exists and is achievable. I wouldn't completely gut an EM with SS hardware today... it would feel too sterile. However, if the motor and steppers were left inside for the SS system to agitate on cue, your mind wouldn't know the difference. I'd love to convert one and have a contest... "which is the EM?". Perhaps if Herb veered closer to that end and stuck with the original wedgehead form factor... he'd have struck that magic balance.

No comment on whether the replacement will be EM or SS yet... stay tuned. :p

#49 8 years ago

AS steppers are really hard to get working right. Even a tech savvy friend struggled with them.

I have a NOS unused one that I will get round to putting in my Hit the Deck.

Curious what your solution is....

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

AS steppers are really hard to get working right. Even a tech savvy friend struggled with them.
    I have a NOS unused one that I will get round to putting in my Hit the Deck.
    Curious what your solution is....

I never really ever had a problem with these. I just take them apart clean and adjust them a little lube on the moving parts. problem free

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-price-check-for-better-than-new-restos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.