Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by tjc02002
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I just put new pop bumper skirts on my bally kick off EM machine and when I was playing I heard a funny sizzling after hitting the pop bumper. Pulled the playfield up and the spoon switch was in flames. Melted the tip of the skirt too. I adjusted the switch after replacing the skirts but maybe they we're too close? Anyone know why this would happen? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

contact cleaner....nasty stuff

#3 9 years ago

was there any contact cleaner used?

#4 9 years ago

dont know why, but old car distributors have a condenser (capacitor) to take the heat off the spark at the points (contact switch), might be something to look at. car engine doing 3000 rpm is firing the points about 25x per second, would be cooking the points fast if they were arcing.

also dont know if like a car, low voltage (12v) at the points is triggering high voltage from the coil (through rotor and cap) to the sparkplugs, like a relay.. has me wondering if high voltage got wired through the switch by mistake? I dont know if these comparisons are helpful or not, but its the kinds of things I'd look to for solving something dangerous like that.

#5 9 years ago

I didn't use contact cleaner but I did run some very fine sandpaper through the contacts. There's actually more to this story so here goes: when I got the game the fuse under the playfield was blown and the pop bumpers were wired to the flipper power. This game has a diode bridge under the playfield which converts the AC to DC to drive the pop bumpers. I properly wired the pop bumpers and replaced the fuse although the fuse was supposed to be a 5a and I put in a 5a slow blow... I'm gonna fix that. Anyway since then the game has actually ignited 2 of the spoon switches. What I'm thinking is that the diode bridge could be shorted(ive read that it's not uncommon). This will give the pops AC current and probably over power them. Also probably the reason the fuse was blown in the first place. I'm going to test this stuff and see. If anyone has similar experience please chime in. Thank you guys for the replies!

#6 9 years ago

Sounds like you might be in the right track.

The bridges are easy to test using the diode setting on your DMM.

#7 9 years ago

I think I want to replace the diode bridge even if it tests good. From what I see on the pin repair site they should be upgraded to a higher rating. What is the original one rated for? How high can the replacement one be rated and it still work? There seems to be a lot of 600v or even 1000v ones, would they be fine? What about amperage? Seems to me like it would work fine as long as the ratings are higher than orig but I'm not an expert.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pop-bumper-spoon-switch-caught-fire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.