New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 256999)

EM Podcast Interest?

By troxel

12 months ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by NicoVolta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 months ago

I am contemplating doing an EM podcast, but not exactly sure what direction to go in. I don't know if this is a project that I want to pursue, but it's been nagging at me for a bit, so curious to hear what others think on the topic.

What content would you like to listen to?

Thanks in advance!

#2 12 months ago

I’m not an EM collector, but it’s definitely an unfulfilled niche. It would differentiate you from the other podcasts. I say give it a shot as see how it goes! I’ll give it a listen. I’m sure I could learn some things.

#3 12 months ago

I've been trying to get Nic Schell to start one for a while

#4 12 months ago

As long as it doesn't devolve into a Wedgehead love fest I'm for it. Start with a Purist VS. Mods argument and work from there.

#5 12 months ago

I'd listen for sure. I always wondered what would keep the EM conversation going on an EM podcast week to week or month to month. It is definitely something that isn't being done now though. Curious to see what you come up with. Good luck.

#6 12 months ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I've been trying to get Nic Schell to start one for a while

He's busy enough with the museum, methinks.

I'd probably tune in. And I could preach the praises of Crescendo. LMFAO.

#7 12 months ago

I'd like to see reviews of EM games, what's fun, good, fast, hard, what holds up vs what doesn't, etc.

#8 12 months ago

I would listen to an EM only podcast. Stuff like, hidden gems. Games that have the same design. Small stories behind the games.

Go for it!

#9 12 months ago

Plenty of great stories behind those machines, unique features appearing for the first time, artwork reviews, dive into social queues of the era reflected in the artwork, etc. Do it up.

#10 12 months ago

It would be great and a breath of fresh air, honestly. Too many podcasts only focus on new pins, which I don’t have any interest in. I’m more into the history of pinball, EM’s and early SS. It would be nice to have something a little different out there. You could go through the super early games , by decade, manufacturers, style of play, designers, artists. A lot of topics to cover. I’ll tune in. It’s a good idea for a different demographic.

#12 12 months ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

It would be great and a breath of fresh air, honestly. Too many podcasts only focus on new pins, which I don’t have any interest in. I’m more into the history of pinball, EM’s and early SS. It would be nice to have something a little different out there. You could go through the super early games , by decade, manufacturers, style of play, designers, artists. A lot of topics to cover. I’ll tune in. It’s a good idea for a different demographic.

Ditto^^

#13 12 months ago
    Quoted from troxel:

I am contemplating doing an EM podcast, but not exactly sure what direction to go in. I don't know if this is a project that I want to pursue, but it's been nagging at me for a bit, so curious to hear what others think on the topic.

What content would you like to listen to?

Thanks in advance!

Ya gotta really want to do the podcast in the first place or you will lose interest in it shortly down the road and quit.

If you do decide to do it there is plenty of areas to talk about, basically anything EM.

I would start with what interests you about EM's and talk about that initially to get a feel of where you want to take your podcast.

If you start one, best of luck, it sounds like a great idea to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken

#14 12 months ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Too many podcasts ...

Completely agree

#15 12 months ago

keep the discussion positive
    don't compare Gottlieb vs Williams, the evils of LEDs
    keep it to great artists, the era of pointy people, what makes a game great

#16 12 months ago

Try being a guest on another podcast to get your feet wet...

#17 12 months ago

First off, I would try to contact Josh Sharpe and set up a way to interview his pops. That’s a guy who could give you all the info you need.

#18 12 months ago

I've done an em only podcast (for amusement only) for about 450 episodes. Myself and the EM dungeon on Spooky pinball are the only two currently. The more the merrier.

I've done game overviews, repair info, a lot of technical stuff, interviews with players, restoration experts, collectors and one designer. I talk about bingos, bowlers, arcades, pitch and bats, flipper stuff, flipperless stuff, prewar, you name it.

My passion is really the oral history and technical stuff. Game overviews I do mostly to show the depth and breadth of EM design.

If you do decide to do it, I'd love to hear it.

#20 12 months ago

I would listen for sure.

#21 11 months ago

Fine idea, depending on subject matter. To make it more popular and enduring, run a poll in this forum to find out what content would be of greatest interest. Don't guess. Lots of hot buttons in here.

#22 11 months ago

I would be interested in listening to an EM podcast, but it would have to be produced well with good editing.

Think of interesting ways you can subdivide an episode. Ideas:

Repair of the Week
    Talk about a problem you fixed. What caused it, how it was remedied.

Mechanism of the Week
    Talk about drop target banks! Steppers! Roto targets!

Pinsider Profile
    Interview one of the people on this forum about their collection.

Industry Interviews
    There are only so many industry folk you can talk to, so this material would dry up fast. You might be able to get Wayne Neyans. He’s done other podcasts, but I’m sure you’d get familiar stories from him. Same with Steve Young or Roger Sharpe. You’d want to listen to their other podcast appearances to find a fresh approach. Other folk: Clay Harrell, Nic Schell

Make sure you know how to use audio-editing software to make your interview subject (and you) sound good. Use a good microphone. Et cetera.

#23 11 months ago

Incidentally, I was a guest on a friend’s podcast a few years ago. We talked about EMs for the entire episode.

http://rcaderadio.com/2017/01/22/s01e07-add-a-host-with-guest-jason-heiser/

It seems, however, that the file for episode is now missing.

#24 11 months ago

I would add to the list of knowing how to record and edit a podcast that you should get reliable hosting. You definitely get what you pay for.

I've used libsyn for the past four or five years (since the inception of mine) and they have never screwed up in the slightest. Stay away from 'free' services like podcast garden and SoundCloud. Fewer missing files, great stat tracking, etc.

Also, I would suggest coming up with a schedule and sticking to it. I was daily for the first year, then bi-weekly ever since. It helps with listener retention and keeps your interest up as well.

My show started with segments like those listed above, but it was easier to script without. There are only so many mechanisms. I've always given interviews, when they occur, the entire episode. Other information waits until the next episode. This makes the interview episodes less dated.

#25 11 months ago

I am up for another EM podcast.
    You could interview Sam Harvey
    he has tons of info, trivia, experiences and
    opinions about EM pinball.

#26 11 months ago

Thanks everyone for the input! I’ll keep researching and see if it’s something I want to take on.

#27 11 months ago

I think about this often and have enjoyed being a guest on EGP, Slam Tilt, and the folks who stop by the museum to do news bits/etc. However, as Frax correctly identified, RPM and the B&B project keep my throttle to the absolute max. I don't want to start something I can't devote 100% of my energy to. It's frustrating. Tons of cool ideas... just no time.

In 2020 or perhaps 2021, I plan to greatly expand my YouTube site (Nic's Amazing Pinball Channel) which at the moment isn't quite so amazing. EM reviews, photos, art, and "recommended tweaks" will be made. A lot of effort will be put into good production quality and editing. I will use my personal machines at first and then expand to covering others (yours!) during my future travels and interview y'all too.

In the meantime, Mr. Baldridge has contributed a ton of content and if anyone else wants to give it a go, I'd be all ears. But keep in mind we are in the Age Of Snippets... and thus keeping it tight and topical will likely get better results (more episodes w/tighter focus vs. fewer longform discussions spanning numerous topics).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 159.00
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Judge Dredd Translite Out of stock
    Pinball Haus
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 339.00
    € 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside