(Topic ID: 161533)

EM Playfield Swap tips and tricks thread.

By Shapeshifter

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0199 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1478_(resized).JPG
    20160625_162512_(resized).jpg
    twinrotiss8_(resized).jpg
    twinrotiss5_(resized).jpg
    Safe_Lifting_(resized).JPG
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Started!
    Tips above were great for removing lane wires.
    This part was hard to get out and wondered if there is a tool to put back in when I get to that stage? My nut driver set is not deep enough so used a tool that just gripped and twisted but could easily scratch p/f putting back in.
    Top of p/f is done, and removed pop bumpers and flipper mechs completely.
    Now the hard part begins....
    Oh, the p/f has been clear coated.
    Any do's and don't regarding re-fixing stuff onto it? Don't want it cracking or scratching it.

First thing I attach are the siderails after a quick sand and poly. Then I tape the top edges of the siderails to avoid scuffing them up. GTB used nails to attach the siderails, I generally use #6 1 inch stainless wood screws, countersunk.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

First thing I attach are the siderails after a quick sand and poly. Then I tape the top edges of the siderails to avoid scuffing them up. GTB used nails to attach the siderails, I generally use #6 1 inch stainless wood screws, countersunk.

Thanks - will do this.

Do you take the siderails off before starting to remove all the stuff on the back? Guessing that is the way to go....

3 weeks later
    #53 7 years ago

On a populated (heavy) pf Simon I try to avoid leaving the side rails off for any length of time. IMO apart from their functional/operational role they play a positive role in providing longitudinal strength to the pf.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

. . . wondered if there is a tool to put back in when I get to that stage? My nut driver set is not deep enough . . .

Whole thread about this with ideas - I prefer the multi-screwdriver because I already have it
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-tool-do-you-use-to-remove-the-playfield-posts#post-3494341

#55 7 years ago

Thanks guys - good tips.

Near the end of the swap - just taken so much time!

Labelled and numbered every single screw so they at least went back in the correct place.

I put the rails on the new p/f straight away and did the single coat of laquer to freshen them up.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-playfield-swap-tips-and-tricks-thread/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.