Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170716_154634_resized (resized).jpg
    DSC02150 (resized).JPG
    DSC02141 (resized).JPG
    DSC02140 (resized).JPG
    DSC01733 (resized).JPG
    DSC01732 (resized).JPG
    DSC01731 (resized).JPG
    DSC01692 (resized).JPG
    DSC01689 (resized).JPG
    DSC01687 (resized).JPG
    DSC01686 (resized).JPG
    DSC01685 (resized).JPG
    DSC01527 (resized).JPG
    DSC01467 (resized).JPG
    DSC01466 (resized).JPG
    DSC01465 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Here I go again, building another area for EM pinball machines, but this time it is specific for repairs only, for my pins and other folks as well. Labor will be an hourly fee of $40.00 for small jobs or a flat rate for large jobs. I will be equipped to do playfield swaps as well, old to new or old to better, does not matter. Pinball drop offs only, no offsite repairs. I can generally service the big 4 manufactures (Gottlieb, Williams, Bally, Chicago Coin) from 1964 on up, just contact me to let me know what you have.

Started the project a few days back putting in a few hours into it here and there generally 6-10 pm when it is not as hot. Converting 2/3 of our garage for the space in which the wall will house a new a/c -heater unit along with a door and extra wall plugs. Doing all the work myself and will have 3 spots available to work on machines at any given time with plenty of elbow room, storage, plus room for tools and work tables.

Hope to get the shop up and running but not completely finished sometime in mid July and just keep improving the work area as time and funds permit. I'm pretty excited to get this finally going.

Gotta start somewhere............

DSC01464 (resized).JPGDSC01464 (resized).JPG

DSC01465 (resized).JPGDSC01465 (resized).JPG

DSC01466 (resized).JPGDSC01466 (resized).JPG

DSC01467 (resized).JPGDSC01467 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

You have respect, integrity, experience, great attitude & runs on the board Ken-best wishes for & with your venture.

#3 6 years ago

How soon should I box up my Solar City, so it can be sent to you for a restoration??

#4 6 years ago

Very cool Ken. I always dreamed of having a dedicated workspace like that.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

You have respect, integrity, experience, great attitude & runs on the board Ken-best wishes for & with your venture.

Thanks so much for the endorsement and the best wishes Wayne!

Quoted from Darcy:

How soon should I box up my Solar City, so it can be sent to you for a restoration??

Good one Darcy. But I think I will stick to solving mechanical issues for now rather than doing full restores as that is really what I like doing plus there are already a couple guys in the area doing those already.

Quoted from AlexF:

Very cool Ken. I always dreamed of having a dedicated workspace like that.

Thanks Alex, it is a first for me too as I have always had to share the space as well. I will still maintain a small room in the house for my arcade which will hold 4 machines as it will now be my office and exercise room now, so I did lose space for another machine but it will be worth it. Lots of changes here, but all good.

Here is an updated picture of the repair shop tonight as I was able to put a few more hours into it. The main wall is done, just need some blocking as well as building a couple wood frames for the heater and A/C hopefully tomorrow. Ran out of lumber and burned through 20 pieces of 2 x 4's already and need to pick up 6 more to finish. We will see how far I get as I have other errands I need to do as well.

DSC01527 (resized).JPGDSC01527 (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

You have respect, integrity, experience, great attitude & runs on the board

I second that. I would use your service if I was closer. Good luck Ken!

Bruce

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

I second that. I would use your service if I was closer. Good luck Ken!
    Bruce

Thanks for the vote of confidence and well wishes Bruce!

Looks like no progress today on the shop, I have sinus issues and need to pick up some medication Wednesday or Thursday.

Ken

#8 6 years ago

You have my respect. I mused about doing something similar and may still do it, your efforts are inspiring!

#9 6 years ago

here's what I just bought for an AC unit, 14K btu for the garage, will vent into the attic space above, two hose system

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028AYQDC/ref=asc_df_B0028AYQDC5039331

would love to see wht you picked

#10 6 years ago

This is really cool, Ken! I'm living vicariously through you as I'd LOVE to do something like this someday. Wish San Antonio were a bit closer -- would love to come by and see the workshop and see your work in person. Maybe I'll get up there sometime. You're not THAT far away if I ever want to outsource some restoration work. Congrats on the new adventure!

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

You have my respect. I mused about doing something similar and may still do it, your efforts are inspiring!

Thanks phil-lee for the encouraging words! Hope your dream comes true as well to get a repair area one day too.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

here's what I just bought for an AC unit, 14K btu for the garage, will vent into the attic space above, two hose system
    amazon.com link »
    would love to see wht you picked

Ken, The A/C unit is just your basic window mount LG model which cost me $130.00 at Home Depot. I should have checked with Walmart first as they have GE models for only a $113.00. I like window mounts because they are way cheaper than wall mounts and you just simply build your own frame for them which works great for a wall anyways. 5000 BTU covers up to 150 sq ft which is plenty for my shop.

If I ever decide to take over the whole garage I will simply have two ducts installed from our main HVAC as we recently upgraded to a larger model furnace and A/C which would accommodate the extra space and would be fairly cheap and easy to do as we have a single level home. Before I did it I would have to do quite a bit of insulating first. Looks like your model will work great for the space you will have.

Note: The A/C will be in the new wall and vent to the other side of the garage which is not a problem as that still represents 1/3 of the garage and I can just open the big garage door to vent out any built up humidity once in a while. I could not vent directly to an outside wall because the exterior of the house is brick and I am not going/willing to cut a hole in it.

DSC01685 (resized).JPGDSC01685 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from goldenboy232:

This is really cool, Ken! I'm living vicariously through you as I'd LOVE to do something like this someday. Wish San Antonio were a bit closer -- would love to come by and see the workshop and see your work in person. Maybe I'll get up there sometime. You're not THAT far away if I ever want to outsource some restoration work. Congrats on the new adventure!

We almost moved to San Antonio from Idaho originally but prices were going up and the Fort Worth area had the better deals at the time.

Well once I get the shop up and running you are more than welcome to come on by and check it out and play some pinball while your at it. If you ever get stumped working on a machine or just need to offset the work load a bit and plan to be in the area just load it up and drop it off.

Thanks for the kind words goldenboy232, and hope you get to one day get your own space for repairs. Hope to meet you in the near future.

#14 6 years ago

Good luck on your new venture... Orange Cat Club Guy!

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chum43:

Good luck on your new venture... Orange Cat Club Guy!

Thanks for the well wishes Chum43. Orange cats rule, just ask them.

Well got some more work done tonight, picked up supplies yesterday and I think I have everything I need to get the basics finished on one side of the wall (shop side). Adding another 20 amp circuit for outlets (so 2) and a 15 amp a/c - heater. Also have a 220 outlet that was already there for....well, whatever. Got the door in too, works great.

I feel good and I am just taking my time as I am only a little over 10 weeks out from open heart surgery and only supposed to lift 10 lbs anyway. Luckily my wife helps me move the bigger stuff unless I can just drag it.

DSC01686 (resized).JPGDSC01686 (resized).JPG

DSC01687 (resized).JPGDSC01687 (resized).JPG

DSC01689 (resized).JPGDSC01689 (resized).JPG

DSC01692 (resized).JPGDSC01692 (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago

As of 6/28/17:

DSC01731 (resized).JPGDSC01731 (resized).JPG

DSC01732 (resized).JPGDSC01732 (resized).JPG

DSC01733 (resized).JPGDSC01733 (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago

If you need help moving things. Ring me up

-Jeff

#18 6 years ago

Thanks buddy.

PM sent.

#19 6 years ago

'Wish I was Closer'

1 week later
    #20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

'Wish I was Closer'

Thanks Darcy.

Need to get more materials, hard wired in the a/c in yesterday.

2 weeks later
    #21 6 years ago

Update: Slow going because of our Texas heat. Garage just gets too hot, most likely 120 degrees and I can't run the a/c as I need to access both sides of the wall. Ended up getting Heat Exhaustion a few days ago working out there and was laid up for a couple days almost needing to go to the hospital which is not good right after heart surgery. So basically I am going to delay this project until September when it cools down and switch gears as I have my 1973 Gottlieb King Pin full restoration which I get to work on inside the house with nice cool a/c...aaahh.

Here are a couple photos of where I am currently with the shop as the electrical is almost done and I just need to set the a/c and cut/install the wall heater.

Update ya'll again in September!

DSC02140 (resized).JPGDSC02140 (resized).JPG
    DSC02141 (resized).JPGDSC02141 (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago

I feel for you,I've been working on the house for 2 weeks outside and it 105 Thursday.I set up an old Homart window fan (its a big one) where it would blow on me, wet a sweat band and put it on,and placed two wet paper towels inside my hat.
    I appreciate you for devoting a repair shop to Ems, I thought about it but all the projects dried up around here.
    Will be watching,stay inside!

#23 6 years ago

How about a Game Plan Coney Island? Wish you were closer

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Will be watching,stay inside!

Will do and Thanks. Turns out my heart medication for my pulse makes me susceptible to Heat Exhaustion which I did not know until after I had the episode, but now I'm the wise to it.

Quoted from pinaholic:

How about a Game Plan Coney Island? Wish you were closer

Ha! Nice try with the Coney Island, still not quite an EM but it does bring up the idea that down the road I may get into early SS repair as well but would need to get my learning curve up to speed and invest a lot more money into tools which at this point will have to wait. Thanks for "wish you were closer" statement, it always nice to be wanted.

So does this qualify as a repair??? Actually its what I call the "Silver" Restoration, kind of like how CPR grades their stuff. Going to be 4 different people working on this full resto in which it will get cabinet repair, paint, playfield touch ups/clearcoat, and the mechanical overhaul by yours truly. Just cool when a group of guys can turn a POS into something like new again, and so it begins.

DSC02150 (resized).JPGDSC02150 (resized).JPG

#25 6 years ago

Adrian, Ken, Keith, and ye?

I am... familiar... with these teammates.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

You really are good................hummmmmm

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Slow going because of our Texas heat.

Texas heat! Whats with that hot U-haul truck dolly?

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Paint shop is open. Just finished a Big Shot in the new digs. Next up Atlantis.

20170716_154634_resized (resized).jpg20170716_154634_resized (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Texas heat! Whats with that hot U-haul truck dolly?

It' on a long term loan............

Quoted from pinhead52:

Paint shop is open.

Good to know, need to get there in the near future.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinmans-pinball-repair-shop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.