(Topic ID: 204919)

EM Pinballs Coin Mechanics, Free Play or Don't care?

By Grayman_EM

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Have the coin slots working? Free Play or do not really care either way?”

• Don't Care 7 votes
      19%
    • Free Play 16 votes
      43%
    • Coin Slot 14 votes
      38%

(37 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C1563C30-C8EA-4B08-A064-666C1CA895C1 (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

I myself like old school coin mechanics of adding a quarter or such to start a game. Some pinsiders will never understand this but the quarters in your pocket and going to the arcade when you were young was a great feeling as a kid. Few EM pins I see have the coin slots working and just me but that loses something. I still like the pin but just missing that part of the feeling you got as a kid.

So do you prefer if you could have the coin slots working? Free Play or do not really care either way?

#2 6 years ago

I suppose the poll is novel but this has been discussed a few times before... put me down for coins and find the prior discussions if ya care why!

#3 6 years ago

I have working coin mech's in all my machines.......but they are all set on free play except for my Sure Shot. Whenever I want to hear that sweet sound of a quarter pass through the coin mech,I do it on my Sure Shot.

#4 6 years ago

I used to be a free-play guy, but I've gradually become a coin-drop guy. I also like to make sure the coin lockout mechanism works. Sometimes I'll absently drop a coin into a game that's off just to hear the clatter of it getting rejected.

#5 6 years ago

I set mine to coin drop and pay to play them - helps me save for the next machine/parts purchases. I just empty them every now and again, transfer that into my pin fund, and toss the coins back into a container.

I'm actually looking for the little rounded T shaped bracket that holds the coin mechs in place in 70s era Williams coin doors if anyone has one reading this. Just snagged an Argosy in nice shape but it was set for free play and some parts cannibalized.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

Just snagged an Argosy in nice shape but it was set for free play and some parts cannibalized.

It's wasn't that $2195.00 one on CL? People and prices.

#7 6 years ago

I like it both ways but it's nice to have a "bank" that accumulates funds you can withdraw after playing some games.

Bruce

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I have working coin mech's in all my machines.......but they are all set on free play except for my Sure Shot. Whenever I want to hear that sweet sound of a quarter pass through the coin mech,I do it on my Sure Shot.

Liking Vic_Camps quote. Working coin mechs, and free play. Dropping a coin hearing that whack. Is just great.

#9 6 years ago

I have working coin mechs in all my games and a bunch of quarters on the playfield glass over the apron. All machines set for 2 games for a quarter just like they were back in the day when I was a kid.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Liking Vic_Camps quote. Working coin mechs, and free play. Dropping a coin hearing that whack. Is just great.

I have my Bally bingos set on coin play since they are gambling machines with payouts and i only have six of them. So it's not bad with only six machines on coin operation, plus the bingos require the player to drop many coins through the coin slot at the start of the game to build up the features and odds payout and really gets a dose of the coin passing through the the mech.

If i had the other 35 flipper games in my collection on coin...i think it would drive me crazy or to constantly have to deal with so many coins all the time for each game. It's just easier these days for me to push the replay button, which brings me just as much joy as dropping a coin through. I love free play.

#11 6 years ago

I prefer tokens!

C1563C30-C8EA-4B08-A064-666C1CA895C1 (resized).jpegC1563C30-C8EA-4B08-A064-666C1CA895C1 (resized).jpeg

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

It's wasn't that $2195.00 one on CL? People and prices.

Yes CL, but this one was $350 - ball swirls and a wear spot by the kicker but otherwise clean - 8/10 glass, fully working. Only issue with it was the free play and 2 light sockets. I just need to seal the glass and get the mechs working and into the collection it goes.

#13 6 years ago

I prefer coin, but if the mechs/wiring have been removed, I don't replace them. I have added the lighting and coin entrance plates back in the door though.

#14 6 years ago

I'm a coin drop guy also. My vids are 25 cents per play and the pins are 2 games for a quarter. Got a change machine in the basement, every once in a while I just empty the coin boxes and put the quarters back in the change machine.

statictrance - looks like marco has those brackets you're looking for.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1A-4253

#15 6 years ago

I keep a can with 200 quarters by the leg of each machine. Once I am out of quarters for that machine it's time to clean and wax. Like others above I also like to pay $50 into an "arcade fund" every time the can is refilled.

#16 6 years ago

If the game has functioning (or close enough so I can fix them) coin mechs and switches I will throw a few quarters in when I am out of credits. If the coin door is a horrid mess, that would be the last thing I would try to fix if it was rigged for free play (still would be on my to do list though).

Right now my go to game is 4 Square and I love having to add quarters because when you light the targets for special it feels even better to hear that knocker.

#17 6 years ago

Coins.

Every game working original coin mech with coins from year of production...... easy to pick up coin rolls on ebay.

And every game has a working game counter so can see which games get the most play.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

I'm a coin drop guy also. My vids are 25 cents per play and the pins are 2 games for a quarter. Got a change machine in the basement, every once in a while I just empty the coin boxes and put the quarters back in the change machine.
    statictrance - looks like marco has those brackets you're looking for.
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1A-4253

Lifesaver - I messaged my local repair cohorts and checked PBR, I never thought to check Marco. Order going in today. Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinballs-coin-mechanics-free-play-or-dont-care and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.