(Topic ID: 336504)

EM Pinball Repair: Where to Start? (First time)

By SantaEatsCheese

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is Vulcan a good game?”

• Yes, it's great! 9 votes
    100%
  • No, should have bought a Zizzle. 0 votes

(9 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230513_160910 (resized).jpg
OIP (resized).jpg
20230522_080155 (resized).jpg
20230520_143459 (resized).jpg
20230515_170553 (resized).jpg
20230517_065057 (resized).jpg
20230510_203958 (resized).jpg
20230509_194122 (resized).jpg
20230509_171947 (resized).jpg
Vulcan (resized).jpg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 months ago

Got it! It's always something stupid. Opened up the back to have a look and everything mysteriously worked. Great! Put it back together and moved back to the wall, nothing worked. Tore a little hair out and opened it up it worked. Figured out that it would work with head open but not closed, then figured out the homemade wooden door on the back of the head it came with was rubbing on a motor causing all the issues at once. Closed the head 98% of the way and it works great! Only a few minor issues left. Gotta figure out how to make it use only one instead of all credits when on freeplay and how to make the score reels in the head consistently line up. The one digit I cleaned doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. Will take a fixed up break to enjoy this then fiddle with it some more in a few weeks. Those leveled inserts make a world of difference. Thanks all!

20230522_080155 (resized).jpg20230522_080155 (resized).jpg
#52 11 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Got it! It's always something stupid. Opened up the back to have a look and everything mysteriously worked. Great! Put it back together and moved back to the wall, nothing worked. Tore a little hair out and opened it up it worked. Figured out that it would work with head open but not closed, then figured out the homemade wooden door on the back of the head it came with was rubbing on a motor causing all the issues at once. Closed the head 98% of the way and it works great! Only a few minor issues left. Gotta figure out how to make it use only one instead of all credits when on freeplay and how to make the score reels in the head consistently line up. The one digit I cleaned doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. Will take a fixed up break to enjoy this then fiddle with it some more in a few weeks. Those leveled inserts make a world of difference. Thanks all![quoted image]

Hah! I had the exact same problem once years ago with a Gottlieb "Top Score". Plywood backdoor was keeping stepper from moving.

#53 11 months ago

Score reels not stopping in the right place is usually a mechanical issue - something in the works of the reel needs to be cleaned.

I usually take the reels apart, clean all interfacing parts (and the reel faces) and reassemble. Crud will migrate if left on the reel frame, so give that a good wipe down as well while you have things apart. It takes time, but makes the game score reliably.

The other possibility is a timing issue with a scoring relay, but in almost all cases it's just gunk or other mechanical problems (wear, broken parts, etc.). Good catch with the back door. That kind of thing can drive you crazy. Suspect anything that's not factory!

#54 11 months ago

Wow...my dumb ass didn't think through just how hot it gets in the summer in that garage. Just finished a single game and am sweating. Don't know what heat does to those but I'm not leaving it on. Maybe a quick game in the mornings before work.

#55 11 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Wow...my dumb ass didn't think through just how hot it gets in the summer in that garage. Just finished a single game and am sweating. Don't know what heat does to those but I'm not leaving it on. Maybe a quick game in the mornings before work.

If you can get a dedicated 20 amp 220 circuit in your garage you would now have a game room! Just think about all the machines you can now have!

OIP (resized).jpgOIP (resized).jpg
#56 11 months ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

If you can get a dedicated 20 amp 220 circuit in your garage you would now have a game room! Just think about all the machines you can now have![quoted image]

It has crossed my mind but I'll just have to be "content" with the basement. The idea of a summer project was breaking the rules as it is.

20230513_160910 (resized).jpg20230513_160910 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-repair-where-to-start-first-time/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.