5 days ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by MarkG
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 days ago

Regulars to the EM Pinball Tech forum might recognize me as a contributor to some of the troubleshooting topics. I spend a lot of time analyzing issues described on the forum, and proposing potential solutions along with some background or context for how the failing devices should work. I can get a little wordy sometimes but I think it's important to understand the bigger picture - if not for the OP then maybe for someone reading the post with a similar problem later on. (for example: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-generation-decagon-solenoid-wiring#post-4840740)

Some might also be familiar with my pinball exhibit/website, https://www.funwithpinball.com. One of the big motivations over there too is to teach those who are interested how things work. The site includes games I've designed and other pinball related projects.

More recently I've taken things a bit further and tried some face to face instruction. I've been teaching a hands-on workshop using parts of the exhibit to explain a little about electricity and magnetism, and how they're used to make the games work.

But earlier this year I taught my first in depth class on EM Pinball Machine Repair and Restoration. Based on the response I got I'd like to teach it again. The class starts with the fundamentals and goes right through to reading schematics and troubleshooting with lots of demos and exercises along the way. The pace is catered to the students' interests but the class takes about 8-12 hours to get through over 2-3 days. Details at https://www.funwithpinball.com/learn/pinball-machine-repair-class

Scheduled classes will appear periodically on the website but I'm open to suggestion for times and locations. I'm willing to travel to other locations if we can make it work. PM me or reach me through the web site if you have specific questions.

/Mark

#2 3 days ago

Mark,

I'm a relative newcomer to EMs who is learning more every day, thanks to you and others who are willing to share their knowledge on Pinside. (You've responded to some of my posts regarding Surf Champ.)

I just wanted to tell you that your website is AMAZING! The videos are incredibly well done and extremely informative, especially to those of us just getting into the hobby and trying to figure out how these amazing machines work. My only regret is that you are in Colorado and I am in Maryland, because I'd sign up for your class in a heartbeat!

But I wanted to let you know that your hard work spent creating those displays and videos are greatly appreciated!! I highly recommend them to anyone learning how to repair these games.

Thanks!

#3 3 days ago
    Quoted from ChipS:

Mark,
    I'm a relative newcomer to EMs who is learning more every day, thanks to you and others who are willing to share their knowledge on Pinside. (You've responded to some of my posts regarding Surf Champ.)
    I just wanted to tell you that your website is AMAZING! The videos are incredibly well done and extremely informative, especially to those of us just getting into the hobby and trying to figure out how these amazing machines work. My only regret is that you are in Colorado and I am in Maryland, because I'd sign up for your class in a heartbeat!
    But I wanted to let you know that your hard work spent creating those displays and videos are greatly appreciated!! I highly recommend them to anyone learning how to repair these games.
    Thanks!

I couldn't agree more with what chips has stated. markg has helped me out a few times now as well as others on this site. The responses I get are very informative and have helped me immensely. Without this site and people like markg and others, I would be totally in the dark as to how to fix this beast of a machine.. I am in California, so im not too far from CO.

#4 2 days ago

Thanks for the kind words and up votes. I really appreciate it.

To clarify about the class, I don't have a regular location or schedule for it. Instead, as I find small groups of interested students close to each other I'll work with them to find a convenient time and place. That could be outside of Colorado if we can make the numbers work out. Maybe a few days before, during, or after a show for example (maybe the Pinball Showdown?). If you've got a few interested friends nearby let me know (offline).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    € 279.00
    $ 11.95
    $ 249.00
    $ 10.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 219.00
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside