(Topic ID: 234877)

EM pinball NIB packaging -- what did it look like?

By SonicZone

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190128_214340 (resized).jpg
    f5771b7f8955a96fd36051c3e0889d4273eca42a (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

We've all seen Stern NIB game shipments. I recently got to see for myself what box packaging from Spooky looks like. And even one from Heighway.

This got me to wondering how EM/pre-Solid State pinball packaging appeared back in the day.

Granted, it's not likely EMs were delivered still boxed up to distributors' customers like they are today -- if at all -- but I was curious if there's any photos out there showing one or more Gottlieb (or Bally, Williams, et al) EM pins as they shipped from the factory, still in their box packaging?

#2 5 years ago

In recent days, there have been two unboxings of EM pins:

1) Bally Silver Sails, 1962 - this is one of the kings of the bingo pinballs, and if you are familiar, you know that they are HEAVY. The packaging was only simple cardboard between each component, and it protected the game very well. I am working on editing an unboxing video to show. I was quite honored to participate in the unboxing at the White Rose Gameroom Show in October of last year.

2) A Chicago Coin Sound Stage was recently unboxed in New York - it, too, used cardboard.

Bolts and balls were shipped in either boxes or bags.

I am not familiar with the other manufacturers' setups, especially for older games, but it stands to reason that similar techniques would have been used, or crates would have been made.

#3 5 years ago

1976 Chicago Coin "Sound Stage" (image not mine)
    f5771b7f8955a96fd36051c3e0889d4273eca42a (resized).jpgf5771b7f8955a96fd36051c3e0889d4273eca42a (resized).jpg

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

2) A Chicago Coin Sound Stage was recently unboxed in New York - it, too, used cardboard.

Cough cough...Jersey.

#7 5 years ago

Here are a bunch of photos and some videos of the game being unboxed at York, starting with this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bingo-row-at-the-2018-york-show#post-4640851

#8 5 years ago

I peered in that Sound Stage box many times. Packaging wasn't really much different, more cardboard rather than styro, legs packaged separately in their own box.

#9 5 years ago

Best unique thread topic I’ve stumbled upon in a while and quickly backed up with a solid video that’s also very recent!

#10 5 years ago

Here's an image from Roger Sharpe's book entitled Pinball. 1976 Williams space mission during Factory assembly and prepared for shipping in cardboard boxes.

20190128_214340 (resized).jpg20190128_214340 (resized).jpg
    #11 5 years ago

"Granted, it's not likely EMs were delivered still boxed up to distributors' customers like they are today..."

I bought NIB games as an operator in the early 1970s. The distribs offered three options: (1) pick it up fully boxed, (2) they would unbox it there and load the components into your smaller vehicle, or (3) they would unbox it and assemble it and load it ready-to-go onto your truck. I think option (3) was used by operators who were going straight from the distrib to the location where the game would be operated, and the operator was responsible for providing adequate tie-downs. We used option (2) when picking up a game in a station wagon or U-Haul closed-box trailer, where the lightbox was way forward, legs along the side. We used option (1) when picking up a game in a full-size van, U-Haul box truck, or open trailer.

I don't remember anything special about the boxes, other than the fact that the outside was marked with the coin-door setup (e.g., two-chute 2/25c) similar to the way that a modern box might indicate whether a dollar-bill acceptor is installed.
    .................David Marston

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

"Granted, it's not likely EMs were delivered still boxed up to distributors' customers like they are today..."
    I bought NIB games as an operator in the early 1970s. The distribs offered three options: (1) pick it up fully boxed, (2) they would unbox it there and load the components into your smaller vehicle, or (3) they would unbox it and assemble it and load it ready-to-go onto your truck. I think option (3) was used by operators who were going straight from the distrib to the location where the game would be operated, and the operator was responsible for providing adequate tie-downs. We used option (2) when picking up a game in a station wagon or U-Haul closed-box trailer, where the lightbox was way forward, legs along the side. We used option (1) when picking up a game in a full-size van, U-Haul box truck, or open trailer.

Thanks for the clarification. My comment was based on what I was told by a route op friend of mine a few years back, he said NIB deliveries as we know them today were rare back then.

#14 5 years ago

My still NIB InterFlip Dragon pin
    was boxed with the Head and CAB
    into two separate boxes

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-nib-packaging-what-did-it-look-like?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.