6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

50 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rufessor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 6 years ago

I collect these games but modestly and slowly but I am always checking local classifieds- I think the market is actually increasing for many EM titles.

Two things Drive this but I will start with an observation so we will call it three.

1) As these games age out the average condition continues to drop- and the feasibility of a repair that does not take hundreds of hours goes down- so the value of a beat up basket case is not moving much- but I do see them at prices I feel are unreasonable yet the listings go away and don’t come back. So the market is going up. I just don’t agree with it.

2) Restored EM titles are going up in value rather quickly- I suppose this is good for me as I restore games but I don’t sell them (never have sold a game- I have 5 and buy carefully). As the availability of good games goes down the price of anything in decent shape continues to rise. The fact is these games are old enough that I truly believe we have two markets- a junk yard of shit that will take you insane time and effort to resurrect- and the remaining good game (I mean not trashed) the value of these increases even as unrestored examples.

3) They are pinball games- and no one can argue that’s not more popular than it was 10 yrs ago or 5 or 2.... as the DMD market goes up these become the entry point and demand is increasing. I see a LOT of EM threads with new buyers- a Lot more than 2 or 5 years ago. So more people are buying them that were not previously collectors. That raises prices.

I disagree with the entire premise. I also know that this is true (see below) and thus the market is all over the place right now. People who know are raising prices on good games- people who don’t are throwing them away.

One thing that will always be true- some view these games as garbage in grandmas basement and they get sold dirt cheap. So its always possible to find really cheap cheap examples.

#14 6 years ago

I suppose it’s possible we drive prices up-I know for a fact many will google for pricing and more than one person I have purchased from found pinside and have even used a thread I started (they didn’t know) asking for pricing information to set prices!!!! But- I am willing to pay a lot more today for a good quality EM than I was 5+ years ago- so there’s your answer from me- The market went up.

1 week later
#41 6 years ago

I am finding it super hard to untangle me and the market. I was to young in the 70’s to make it to an arcade unattended and for sure grew up playing video games and not pinball. I literally have no recollection of ever really playing a pinball game- I know I did, but I have distinct memories of Joust and Defender and PacMan and Robotron etc... yet I have no interest in owning one of them. If I am a normal collector- of pinball- then I am not so sure that price goes with age of collectors. For SURE you need to be old enough to have disposable income, but I know more than a few collectors buying EM games that are younger than I.

I think there is an emphasis on analog tech lately thats in part a response to the sterility of digital. So Pinball- Vinyl- Cars- some how are all collected together and I actually think this connection is what really counts. My question is- will my kids see this as interesting or just stupid- and I suspect it will remain interesting.

We went to Universal Studios and went on some (most) of the rides and everyone- liked the real roller coasters (analog tech) a lot more than the virtual reality 3D rides. Don’t get me wrong- I love tech- but the real deal is so much more interesting. That’s why I like pinball- if that continues to translate to even a fraction of the kids today these games are not going down in price over the long term. In this case when I say Analog- I refer to an actual metal ball and solid objects with flippers- not to SS vs EM.

Pinball is not an investment for me and I really don’t care what the value does- any more than I care how much my current pedal bike will be worth in 5 years- just saying that I think it goes beyond what you grew up playing.

Totally agree with everyone else saying they are cool for more than 1 reason.

I do however wonder what the art will be thought of. I cannot find a single game from the 60’s or earlier I have any interest in owning- just cannot do the art. So if younger kids start to feel the same way about the 70s games... then I am totally wrong and in 25 years none of these games are worth jack. Who cares.

#45 6 years ago

I get that, for sure there are plenty of collectors who find the early games amazing art wise- that speaks to this not being a “dude over 55 market” which is a good thing for the longevity of all these fun toyz! To each his own- I vote brunette

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Over how long a time?
I think I bought and sold 15 games my first year, and I'm about around 60 or 70 at this point, almost 6 or 7 years in.

I am 5 years in (ish?) still have every game I purchased still have only 5. I am not super interested in turning the crank. I buy only games I think I would like playing and that fit the vibe I like. To be honest- it’s all about look and fit so there are not so many games I want to own. Then I work on them slowly as I have time. I try to keep it a relaxing affair and just don’t have the time to put many hours into it at once. That’s the cool part about this hobby- there are SO MANY ways to enjoy it.

#66 6 years ago

Do tell... I’m out of the loop!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Fayette, IL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rufessor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-machines-prices-on-the-way-downon-the-way-up?tu=rufessor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.