6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

50 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 6 years ago

One thing I have discovered that EM's will always have over their digital counterparts is longevity and serviceability.

The earliest SS machines are now 40 years old. Sys11's are pushing into their 30's. Some of the IC's for these games are already obsolete and no longer available new. In other cases, substitute parts require modifications. I'm not talking about wholesale "upgrades / swaps" like replacement displays and more efficient power supplies... I'm talking about things like 6821 PIAs and other chips which aren't getting easier to find. Workarounds and/or expensive redesigns will become required at some point...

...Even then you'll always be at the mercy of a semiconductor plant with the specialized materials and clean room technology to manufacture arcane components with sufficient ROI.

Guys are already freaking out over Stern's Spike system which is only what, 3 years old? No info, SM components, limited availability. Good luck with those in 10/20 years. Even if the scematics and troubleshooting knowledge becomes available, it's all about parts. Nobody can make an IC in the basement. Even if you can break its functionality out into discrete components, that becomes a repackaging hack soup nightmare.

Whereas, with an EM... you can basically fix almost anything with a rock and some wire. Well, I oversimplify there but you get the idea. Even the most arcane one-off parts could be remade with common tools more readily accessible to the average hobbyist or supplier. There's something to be said for that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Fayette, IL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-machines-prices-on-the-way-downon-the-way-up?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.