Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by krivoap
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nbolmer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I have a brewery with a Gottlieb Aquarius that was just mechanically restored. It plays perfectly. I use powered studio monitor speakers at the brewery for music. When I have the speakers and pinball machine on at the same time, playing the game causes the speakers to loudly crackle and pop when the various coils fire. The speakers are on the same circuit as the pinball, but at a different outlet. Moving to a discrete circuit is not an option.

Cheers!

Noah

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Location unknown? I'm not sure how to solve your problem but do think it would be fun to visit a brewery with an Em pinball.

Warped Brewing Company in Sebastopol, in Sonoma County, California. I have a Bad Dudes arcade game as well. It's a video game themed brewery.

Edit: Scratch that, it's a double dragon. I confuse the two, due to them both sucking my childhood away.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Damn i was just in Sonoma last month visiting Russian River and Third Street and every other brewery i could find.
Ill put yall on the list for next visit
--Jeff

Not quite open yet - my beer will be on tap at Barley and Hops in nearby Occidental. My tasting room opens early January. There is ANOTHER brand new brewery across the street from me called WoodFour which is also great. If you're back in the area, pop by for some pinball and a beer.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

I would think a AC line conditioner should work, or perhaps an UPS?

Ordered a line conditioner, hopefully that will help - but those are meant to protect the thing that is plugged into them, not feedback into mains. Hopefully it works that way too as a side effect.

#13 10 years ago

Unfortunately, no luck. I purchased a quality line conditioner from APC, no effect whatsoever, except that connecting it to the Pinball machine caused the coils to be much weaker - the ball isn't fired at nearly a high speed. I tried connecting the line conditioner to the speaker. No luck. Tried surge protectors on everything. No luck. Tried surge protectors WITH line conditioner. No luck.

A musician friend suggested lifting the ground on the speaker. Since it's high up in the air, I'm not worried about getting zapped from it while touching a microphone... I'll report back.

Cheers.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the pops stop happening if I disconnect the XLR (sound in). I believe this means that the interference is happening through the XLR cable, not the power. This makes sense, as a power conditioner wouldn't halt any EM interference through an XLR cable. I don't have, but could purchase one of those anti-hum boxes, but lifting the ground should probably give me the same effect, as believe that those anti-hum boxes are ground-loop eliminators.

Post edited by nbolmer : update

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Swansea, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nbolmer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-pinball-causing-electrical-noise-in-mains?tu=nbolmer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.