New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 250248)

EM PIN Placement - Is it OK???????

By FirstPin19

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by FirstPin19
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“SHOULD THIS BE OK?”

• YES 3 votes
    43%
  • NO 4 votes
    57%
  • UNSURE 0 votes

(7 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pin (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hello all! This is my first pin, a 73 Gottlieb Jack in the Box. I really wanted this game so bad.. however have only one place in my entire home to put it. In the Garage, next to/up against(by 8") the hotwater tank where the gas line comes out of the wall. This is NC. so humidty in there I have been monitoring at 65% max or less. I was told anything over 70 would be of worry. I also am planning to put some silica gel packets in the cabinet to help if it will.
and fyi.. in the summer it got about as hot as 86 in there. and winter wont get below 46. nice range of temps. eventually i'll be adding a minisplt as this garage is insulated, epoxied floor and is a mancave with other slots, lights, tc ect.

anyone have any input on either of these?? the back glass was removed and triple cleared so now is protected now.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!! take care

pin (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

I would advise against storing pins in any environment that isn't climate controlled.

Throwing some silica packs in there isn't going to do anything other than attract ambient moisture.

#3 1 year ago

We can definitely assume you’re married then. No basement at your place?

#4 1 year ago

HAH FUNNY, YES MARRIED AND NO Basement Unfortunately. . basement homes are hard to come by here in NC and usually when do a big price to pay for one. space is not climate controlled, but its not horrible. the floor being coated does not let out moisture bc the pores are filled. half the year it avgs over 80 and the other half 50 to 70.. and like I said, well relative humidity can get up to 65/67% at times. I've talked to other folks down here that have them in their garages and said no big deal. My concern is will it do anything to the machine?????? will it corrode and not play anymore? can I put anything on anything to prevent corrosion? backglass has been triple cleared and all bulbs are LED so that wont flake anymore. If it was a $2k+ machine than sure I wouldn't risk anything and have it somewhere in the house.. But I paid $600 for this machine.. new LED bulbs, New Rubbers, new ball, new leg adjusters, and now about to wax the playfield.

#5 1 year ago

Have you thought about running a dehumidifier at least? Water and humidity are the worst dangers to pinballs. Then cold. Sounds like you don't have to worry about the cold.

Congrats on finding your dream game.

#6 1 year ago

I like Mike’s suggestion of the dehumidifier in the warmer months. It’s humid as heck in the summertime where I live and can stay at 75% in my basement in June and July without the dehumidifier. We have central heat but not central AC. Closed up garages can get brutally humid as well.

I’d also make sure it’s as close to the inside wall of the house and as far away from outside garage walls as possible.

Great game that I’d love to own. Congrats.

#7 1 year ago

Thank you guys!! YES the entire left side of the cab is up against the wall. and opposite to the front doors about 22ft from them exactly. I have a temp/humidty monitor in there. on AVG all summer it never got above 86 in there and the Humidity even when 90+% outside.. never got above 68% in there. but the avg in there all summer was 58%-66%. with the floor being sealed now(epoxied coated) I feel its less b/c now the pores are filled. and also the walls are insulated and the room never really gets direct sun so that's how it can stay 86 on a hot 100deg day. In winter it wont go below 45 deg. in there on the coolest day. For uncontrolledly environment temperature.. I don't think it could be in a better situation right>??? I guess it couldn't hurt to run a dehumidifier 24/7 at say 50%? though I would like to avoid that route if possible as I really don't want to hear it, have the floor space for it, and constantly drain it.

As for protecting the game, is there anything can be done??? I already made the 1st step of preserving the backglass with TRIPLE THICK, and changing bulbs to all LED. Next is to strip the playfield and wax EVERYTHING. is there anything to coat all metal parts with so it stays corrosion free and all moves freely/slick? now its a '73... last owner had it 43 years.. it doesn't look brand new inside though a lot does too, low hours. id say half the metal parts have a very thin film of white corrosion dust on them.. and I've been wiping it off with a damp CuTip. But i'm sure it will come right back... anything safe to use that will stop it from coming back?????????? and is that harmful?? I just don't parts seizing up and game not playable anymore, that's my biggest fear.
I was given it at what I feel was a great price,, with a great history, well cared for and low hours. It looks amazing with the LED Mod, and its a lot of fun for an older game.
everything seems to be working right except the first drop it lands in at top on the yellow side doesn't always kick it back out. sometimes you have to tap on the ball to get it to spit out. Samething when game is over.. the ball stays there at game over and I cant figure out when you start a new game how to select the player count then start the game so it spits out the ball. I have to now pick player count, then reach under and tap where the ball is to get it to kick out into shooter lane. suggestions???????????
thank you everyone for your help!!! I"M TRYING TO LEARN!! FIRST TIME!! This game means a lot to the previous owner and I promised it would be in good hands with me and my family for MANY years to come.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 199.99
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 26.95
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 55.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 25.00
$ 3.00
Various Other Swag
Project Pinball Charity
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 6,995.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 109.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Electronics
Docent Electronics
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside