4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RobDutch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Ok I’m sure this has been addressed but I didn’t find when searching. Strongly considering picking up a used machine to work on with my Pop. He’s got chops when it comes to electronics and has worked on at least 1 EM decades ago...me not so much. I’ve never done any tech stuff,restoration,maintenance etc - just love playing. I’m hoping to start with a playable working game that needs shopping and simple fixes. Then if we get the bug maybe bigger projects. So,would you recommend an EM or SS (early or modern)this newbie? I want to learn maintenance basics and get my Pop to teach me some basic electronic stuff...I’m leaning toward em since he’s not super up w current technology these days.

#2 4 years ago

EM would probably be easier to start with. If you go SS, I recommend an early (1977-1984) Bally for simple and straightforward electronics, and no hard to find parts.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rocknroll8cc:

Ok I’m sure this has been addressed but I didn’t find when searching. Strongly considering picking up a used machine to work on with my Pop. He’s got chops when it comes to electronics and has worked on at least 1 EM decades ago...me not so much. I’ve never done any tech stuff,restoration,maintenance etc - just love playing. I’m hoping to start with a playable working game that needs shopping and simple fixes. Then if we get the bug maybe bigger projects. So,would you recommend an EM or SS (early or modern)this newbie? I want to learn maintenance basics and get my Pop to teach me some basic electronic stuff...I’m leaning toward em since he’s not super up w current technology these days.

Why not 1 of each?

I guess it depends on what style pins you like better (EM or SS). Of course, the EM would likely cost less, and if all the parts are there...they can always be brought back. They were built like tanks. With an SS, parts can go bad or need replacing over time.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks! Yes I’ll probably go EM them to older SS and so on. I appreciate being able to bounce the idea off a few folks =)

#5 4 years ago

Both have their charms, but I think early SS might be easier to start with.
    Our first was a Cosmic Gunfight (Williams 1982).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-or-ss-for-newbie-who-wants-to-learn?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.