Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0458 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_4136 (resized).JPG
IMG_4126 (resized).JPG
InkedIMG_4026_LI (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have one EM - Aztec - that has worked great until yesterday. I am pretty good with SS pins but no near to nothing about EMs.

When I start a credit the pin goes into continuous score reset - it keeps clicking like it is trying to reset the score to 0 before starting the game.

I have no idea even where to start to trouble shoot this. My guess is a stuck switch. The game had a lot of play yesterday.

Thanks,

#2 5 years ago

Check the reset switches in the backbox, when it’s trying to reset are any moving but not making a connection? Could have one a bit dirty or out of adjustment.

#3 5 years ago

Observe the reset attempt in a darkened room and notice where the fire is. Probably a 9 switch on one of the score reels but could be a relay.
Manually re-set all score reels to 0 if you haven't already.

#4 5 years ago

Every resetable unit in the game has a open at 0 switch. Starting with the score reals examine the open at 0 switch and make sure you dont have a stuck one.
Here is a link to an excellent animation that shows how it's supposed to work...

#5 5 years ago

Thank you. This is great information. I should get a chance to look at it on Thursday.

I pulled the schematic from IPDB. Where on the schematic is score reset switch? I have no clue looking at the EM schematic although am pretty decent at working may around an early SS schematic.

Thanks

#6 5 years ago

Mine had same problem.. one of my score reels had a crrispy solenoid.

1 month later
#7 5 years ago

Still dealing with this issue - continuous score reset when starting a game. The video was very helpful and traced the sequence but cannot find anything that appears to the problem - the relays, connections, and switches on the relays all look fine. The score reels are difficult to examine because of the staked switches. Any advice on how best to determine if I have stuck switch on a score reel?

Phil-lee suggested setting all score reels to "0". What is the proper location for the "0" setting?

Thanks

#8 5 years ago

Sounds like your zero leaf switch for one of your score reels isn't closing. Here is how you determine which one it is.

1. Turn your game off and set all score reels to zero by hand, observe the leaf switch stack while you do this. The zero switch, bottom switch, should close at zero.
2. Find yourself a clip lead/jumper wire
3. Turn on your machine
4. With the score motor running/trying to reset, jump out the zero leaf switch, one at a time, on each score reel until the game resets and the ball is ejected into the shooter lane.
5. At this point, you found the dirty/misadjusted zero switch.
6. Clean/adjust that switch and you should be good to go.

J.

#9 5 years ago

thank you. When I jump the zero leaf switch that is the switch at the bottom of each switch stack and I am touching a ground wire to the connection on that switch?

Thanks,

#10 5 years ago

no. look at the leaf switch. you want to jumper out the switch, the two contacts for that switch. All your doing is shorting out the contacts of the leaf switch. do not short to ground.

#11 5 years ago

I tried as suggested and that did not stop the reset issue. Here is a picture of the reset relay. If I manually disengage the top leaf switch of the reset relay in the picture, the reset stops and a game starts. InkedIMG_4026_LI (resized).jpgInkedIMG_4026_LI (resized).jpg

#12 5 years ago

Is that wire damaged?

#13 5 years ago

No, the wire is in good shape. just looks a little frayed in the pic.

Just to confirm, which switches should be open when the score reel is set to 0? I am thinking I still have a stuck or dirty switch.

#14 5 years ago

When I was learning I manually advanced the score real around and observed how the activation cam moved one way at 9 and another at 0. Look carefully at 0 for what blades should be pushed open but are not.

1 month later
#15 5 years ago

Still struggling with this issue. Had it fixed for a while but not sure what I did to fix it. Returned after about 10 games or so. I am fairly certain it is the score reels. It is really hard to see and work on those switches in the bottom of the cabinet. I have manually rotated the score reels to see if I can detect any switches that are staying open or closed when they should not be but unsuccessful so far. Is there a trick to working on the switches on the score reels? Those stacked switches are a real bear.

Thanks

#16 5 years ago

There is a great animation of the score reels and switch positions in this thread. Make sure your reels are the same. In there zero position, all 3 switches need to be open.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-score-reel-operation-animation

Those score reels are usually easy to work on(at least compared to Gottllieb). Are you pulling the reels out of their metal frame?

#17 5 years ago

I think mis-referenced what is causing the problem. It is the wheels in the bottom of the cabinet with the notches with stacked switches. When looking at the wheels the right has only two stacked switches the one on the far left has multiple. The score wheels in the back of back-box are okay.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Those score reels are usually easy to work on(at least compared to Gottllieb). Are you pulling the reels out of their metal frame?

Like he said... the score reels come out of the holders & the Williams units are a cakewalk compared to Gottlieb's.
Williams used BIG, easy to see & work on switches.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

I think mis-referenced what is causing the problem. It is the wheels in the bottom of the cabinet with the notches with stacked switches. When looking at the wheels the right has only two stacked switches the one on the far left has multiple.

This is cause and effect...
The motors are turning the wheels to connect the switches that will send electricity to the coils to advace the score reels because a coil switch is not at its open "zero or home" position.
So has soon as all switches from drop targets or score reels reach their open or zero position no electricity is allowed to run the motor because the switches are open. Then it can start the game and kick out a ball to the plunger lane.
There are good videos shown above and others on youtube that will help you understand "make or break switches" and the theory of operation.
You would be surprised at what you can learn on EM repair from youtube.

-Mike

#20 5 years ago

I am sorry but I don't think I am explaining myself very well. This seems to be culprit. If I fiddle with these switches I can sometimes get the game to start properly. It is hard to determine which one(s) are not making good contact. This wheel runs continuously when the credit button is pushed.

IMG_4126 (resized).JPGIMG_4126 (resized).JPG

#21 5 years ago

That motor is turning the wheel because it is trying to reset but there is a closed switch that is not open to disconnect the electricity from turning it. Those switch stacks pulse the score reel coils to advance them to ZERO and then at the zero position the switch at score reel will have opened. When all score reels switches reach the zero and the individual switch is open that reset motor stops turning.
It's hard to type repair advice
-Mike

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

That motor is turning the wheel because it is trying to reset but there is a closed switch that is not open to disconnect the electricity from turning it. Those switch stacks pulse the score reel coils to advance them to ZERO and then at the zero position the switch at score reel will have opened. When all score reels switches reach the zero and the individual switch is open that reset motor stops turning.
It's hard to type repair advice
-Mike

Like he said. Almost always a score reel switch issue.

#23 5 years ago

Agreeing with the others. The score motor that you are pointing to is running because something else has not reset properly. This is likely the score reels, bonus unit or player unit. Best not to mess with the score motor for now. Pull each reel out and make the sure the switches opening and closing like on the animation.

#24 5 years ago

You guys are great! Checked the scores reels for player 1 and adjusted. The pin will now start and load player 1, 2, 3, 4 - actually worked great for a couple of games - but now it will not clear the 000s digit. It is stuck on 5.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

You guys are great! Checked the scores reels for player 1 and adjusted. The pin will now start and load player 1, 2, 3, 4 - actually worked great for a couple of games - but now it will not clear the 000s digit. It is stuck on 5.

Do your score reels advance smoothly? They might be gummed up and need to be cleaned good.

#26 5 years ago

Yes they move no problems.

More issues now. Started a game for four players and the first player scored crazy 450,000+ points on first ball. Other players seemed to score correctly. Hit reset and 450,000 stayed in player 1 and each of the other players has a score in the fourth from left digit and it is now stuck in constant reset as previous.

#27 5 years ago

I'll bet money the score reels,plungers and sleeves need to be cleaned. Check,clean,adjust switches while there.
Like it or not it could use about 4 hrs of your time to make it a consistent player.
-Mike

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I'll bet money the score reels,plungers and sleeves need to be cleaned. Check,clean,adjust switches while there.
Like it or not it could use about 4 hrs of your time to make it a consistent player.
-Mike

Indeed, If it were mine, every score reel would be completely torn apart & rebuilt. New coil sleeves, switch contacts all cleaned & adjusted.

#29 5 years ago

I pulled each score wheel and have one loose wire - shown in picture below. I am guessing it goes where the other red wire is attached to the relay but can someone confirm?

I adjusted each score wheel so all switches open at 0, bottom two switches closed and top switch open scores 1-8, and switches closed at 9. The far right switch only has two switches in the stack. Both open at 0, bottom closed and top open 1-8, both closed at 9.

IMG_4136 (resized).JPGIMG_4136 (resized).JPG

#30 5 years ago

Got the loose wire correctly reattached.

Darn thing is now scoring crazy and reset only resets a couple of the digits for each player. Adjusting the switches seems to have made it worse. This thing is a bear compared to working on SS pins.

Is there a good video for taking apart score reels?

#32 5 years ago

I am making progress, I think. For each player all scores reset to "0" except for the 10,000 and 100,000 digits. It is consistent across all four players - the 10,000 and 100,000 scores will not reset.

What is the switch sequence for the 100,000 digit? It is a two switch stack instead of three like the other score switches. Both switches are open at "0". At 9 are both switches closed? What about for numbers 1-8? Should the top switch open and the bottom switch closed?

Thanks. Learning a lot about EMs.

#33 5 years ago

I am a little late to this thread but I have an Aztec pin, lets see if I can help you out.

First really important piece of advice is refrain from adjusting a lot of switch arms at one time.
Adjust a switch or two at most and turn the game on and make sure you have not created another problem. It sounds like you may have created more problems by adjusting too many switches at once. (I know this from personal experience)

Reading the thread (post #1) it sounds like your score reels in the back cabinet were resetting to a score of "0 0 0 0 0 0" as seen on the score window from the beginning as they should reset. The only device continuously running was the SCORE MOTOR UNIT in the main cabinet with the 8 white cams and switch sets. Is this correct? If this is correct there are multitude of switches/relays (10 to be exact) that "activates" the Score motor to run. There is 1 leaf switch on the INDEX cam on the score motor (cam switch stack closest to the motor end) also known as the home switch that keeps the motor energized for 180º of rotation at a time.

Now, I suspect the problem you had at the beginning of this thread is a faulty score motor brake.

Read this, it explains about Williams score motor clutch operation: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#motor

Williams uses a clutch to prevent the Score Motor stator from Over Running and activating the INDEX cam leaf switch keeping the motor running.

Let me know what you find out.

IMG_0458 copy (resized).jpgIMG_0458 copy (resized).jpg

#34 5 years ago

Thanks for the information. I have the whole weekend to work on this pin and will report back what I learn.

Thanks

#35 5 years ago

I went back and checked and cleaned all the score reel switches and mechanisms. The switches are working properly when I manually advance the score reels. Score reels still reset except for 10,000s and 100,000s scores; and when starting a game the score motor in the cabinet and the two reset switches in the backbox constantly fire. If I manually set the 10,000s, and 100,000s scores to 0 game starts as it should.

EDIT to the post.

I am learning a lot along the way. There are three reset relays in the backbox. The third reset relay controls the 10,000 and 100,000. The first two reset relays continuously pulse at start if there are points on the 10,000 and/or 100,000 score reels. The third reset relay never pulses. The score motor first wheel controls the 1 and 2 reset relays and the third wheel activates the 3rd reset switch.

The switch on the first score motor wheel sparks blue when activated. The second score motor wheel switches appear to be adjusted properly.

#36 5 years ago

Some progress. I adjusted the second switch stack on the score wheel motor and now the 10,000 resets properly. The 100,000 will still not reset.

EDIT

Another piece of the puzzle? When the 100,000 score reel(s) are set to 9 it will rollover to 0 and start a game. If a score reel(s) is on any number other than 9 or 0 a game will not start. Score motors turns and 1-3 relays keep trying to reset.

#37 5 years ago

Thanks for all the advice and to keep pushing me clean and adjust switches. After going back over the switches for probably the 5th time the issue appears to be solved.

To all newbee EM folks, adjust and clean those switches, etc., etc,. etc.

Thanks

1 week later
#38 5 years ago

Glad to hear things are working better. Enjoy your Aztec!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Saint Petersburg, FL
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-noob-aztec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.