9D948ECA-5B5C-48B1-BD2D-0790785611D0 (resized).jpeg
4FA15411-1CDC-4873-A53C-88D1FAFFE8DF (resized).jpeg
A3A301A6-1C3A-4597-9918-4FB79787FAB1 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 2 years ago

Just picked up a Grand Prix that was not working. Found pinrepair.com and went through the basics of EM repair before you turn the machine on. True confession I turned it on before I found that website and the score motor ran continuously. After going through all the score reels and filing the switches and cleaning and lightly sanding the steppers, the game scores reset and it starts a game. I gotta say this was extremely gratifying.

Now whenever I start a game it seems that most coils are firing except for the c and d reset coils. A and B will reset once both are knocked down. However whenever I manually knock down c and d the machine begins continuously trying to reset A and B even though they are both up and C and D aren't moving.

I may be in over my head here, but I figured why not try to bring a great game back to life.

Any thoughts on where to check next?

Thanks in advance

Travis

#2 2 years ago

There are two score motor switches to reset the targets. The one in red resets the C and D targets:
Grand Prix target reset (resized).jpgGrand Prix target reset (resized).jpg
/Mark

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

There are two score motor switches to reset the targets. The one in red resets the C and D targets:
[quoted image]
/Mark

Awesome thanks Mark! again noob here. are these switches on the score motor in the bottom of the cabinet or up on the coil mech?

#4 2 years ago

Have a look at the schematic at:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1072/Williams_1976_Grand_Prix_Schematic_Diagram_continuous_includes_correction_to_L_R_Kickers.pdf

in the middle of the drawing on the left side is a complete map of the score motor. It shows every cam and every switch in order.
You're looking for the 4th cam away from the motor, 2nd/top switch on the stack. It even shows you the wire colors.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1072/Williams_1976_Grand_Prix_Schematic_Diagram_continuous_includes_correction_to_L_R_Kickers.pdf
in the middle of the drawing on the left side is a complete map of the score motor. It shows every cam and every switch in order.
You're looking for the 4th cam away from the motor, 2nd/top switch on the stack. It even shows you the wire colors.

Thanks Mark! going back out in the shop to see if i can make some more progress this evening. I'll keep you posted

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Couple swipes of the sandpaper and now its working like a charm! Thank you sir.

Now I gotta get it to move to ball 2 when it drains

#8 2 years ago

alright spent the last two hours going through the entire playfield and mech panel giving every single switch a little sanding. didn't try to make any adjustments because they looked like they were in good shape just gunked up from sitting for years.

i know this is a really dumb question but the game has no coin mechs and had credits on it i suppose when i got it which is how i was able to start games. now it does nothing when i push start. how do i put it on free play or add credits? there is an easily accessible credit reel that i suppose could just be turned, but is the coin unit on the mech panel where I should go?

#9 2 years ago

Well. I manually hit the reset relay and outhole relay while the game was on and got the flippers and pops to work, but I still don’t know if it started a game. The score reels are registering switches/scoring but my eject holes are not working and my drop targets aren’t working.

#10 2 years ago

Also there is a loud hum coming from the one of the steppers on the mech panel. Maybe that’s not normal, but it’s been doing it ever since I got the game.

#11 2 years ago

Currently when I power on the game and hit the start button the coin relay and reset relay lock on but nothing else happens.

#12 2 years ago

If I’m reading this correctly it seems my score motor is not running during the start up process.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#13 2 years ago

This will help Ronnie does a great job of explaining things.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

This will help Ronnie does a great job of explaining things.

That’s fantastic. I’m going to catalog all the issues tomorrow. Thanks.

#15 2 years ago

Good Morning. Apologies in advance if this is high jacking a thread. I too am bringing a 1976 Grand Prix back to life, also new to the pinball hobby. If this should be a new thread, pls advise. No offense intended as it appeared to be Grand Prix related and I am trying to learn from the real experts on this machine.

My problem...Have everything cleaned, corrected and working with the exception of the knocker not firing and high scores not giving a credit, on all four players. The high score pins are set per instructions...I believe correctly. Number Match is on and credit pin inserted.

Background...the credit unit was damaged with several cut wires to set to free play. I believe I repaired them correctly but that could be a factor. Is there a credit unit wiring diagram showing all proper connections? What works....Able to add credits through the coin mech using coins or simply closing the contacts on the coin door. It will also add credits via the special lights switches on the play field when active. If set for extra ball, it gives the extra ball and displays on the back glass. The number match now works (needed to clean and rebuild the No. Match stepper unit) and gives credit, the credit light illuminates if credits on the wheel. No light if no credits. I understand that contact switch. But, there is no knocker on any of these functions. I can fire the knocker via direct jumper.

Can I, should I be able to fire the knocker directly from the credit unit? If so, how? Looking for a toe hold starting place to correct these last two nits. Thank you for your skill sets, experience and advice. This appears to be a remarkable community with a passion for keeping unique pieces of history working as designed.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from mmaston:

Good Morning. Apologies in advance if this is high jacking a thread. I too am bringing a 1976 Grand Prix back to life, also new to the pinball hobby. If this should be a new thread, pls advise. No offense intended as it appeared to be Grand Prix related and I am trying to learn from the real experts on this machine.
My problem...Have everything cleaned, corrected and working with the exception of the knocker not firing and high scores not giving a credit, on all four players. The high score pins are set per instructions...I believe correctly. Number Match is on and credit pin inserted.
Background...the credit unit was damaged with several cut wires to set to free play. I believe I repaired them correctly but that could be a factor. Is there a credit unit wiring diagram showing all proper connections? What works....Able to add credits through the coin mech using coins or simply closing the contacts on the coin door. It will also add credits via the special lights switches on the play field when active. If set for extra ball, it gives the extra ball and displays on the back glass. The number match now works (needed to clean and rebuild the No. Match stepper unit) and gives credit, the credit light illuminates if credits on the wheel. No light if no credits. I understand that contact switch. But, there is no knocker on any of these functions. I can fire the knocker via direct jumper.
Can I, should I be able to fire the knocker directly from the credit unit? If so, how? Looking for a toe hold starting place to correct these last two nits. Thank you for your skill sets, experience and advice. This appears to be a remarkable community with a passion for keeping unique pieces of history working as designed.

You are in no way hijacking this thread. It looks like you've already worked through most of your games bugs so please stick around and provide any info that you think would be helpful to others trying to bring these games back. That video above posted by mrm_4 is great. I've seen lots of that guys stuff previously, but didn't know he had one dedicated to grand prix.

Currently I'm cataloging issues, but currently can't get it to start a game so I'm literally at square one.

#17 2 years ago

The nice thing about watching Ronnie's videos for Joe Classic Video Games is you can search for games of the same company and year and he probably has a game he worked on with the same design. So you'll eventually find him going through and fixing the exact same problem you have but on a different title. Theses series help me a ton as a noob. Especially with understanding schematics. Some of his restoration work on the playfield goes outside of Vid's Guides but I still love the videos. In my workshop i have a tv with streaming so I just pull up his videos and play them as background noise as I'm working on games.

#18 2 years ago

update. When I power the game on the lock relay energizes. I believe this is normal.

When I hit the start button the credit reel steps one time and the coin and reset relays energize. Small coils on each of the bonus units also energize but I’m getting no score motor activity.

Going back to the schematic. Any thoughts appreciated.

I did figure out that it is not set on FreePlay and I have to manually advance the score reel to add credits.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from mmaston:

Can I, should I be able to fire the knocker directly from the credit unit? If so, how?

I would expect the switch that is activated when the credit-up solenoid is pulled in should connect to the knocker. Manually flicking the switch with your finger should fire the knocker.

E22E5489-5A5F-4331-A3CB-D4F29B048AB8 (resized).jpegE22E5489-5A5F-4331-A3CB-D4F29B048AB8 (resized).jpeg

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from AndrewP:

I would expect the switch that is activated when the credit-up solenoid is pulled in should connect to the knocker. Manually flicking the switch with your finger should fire the knocker.
[quoted image]

Yep. It works. Not an issue on mine but it works

#21 2 years ago

Ok. So I manually turned the score motor with the machine off and now when powering on only the lock relay energizes. Nothing happens when I hit start button

#22 2 years ago

Not sure what I did but now the score motor seems to be running and a game was startable

#23 2 years ago

OK. Powered off and back on and it started a game again. I’ll go through and catalog the issues.

#24 2 years ago

Ok this is after start up. Score reels reset and it kicked the ball out into the shooter lane. I haven’t done anything and it looks like the spinner lane lights are illuminated randomly. Which lights are supposed to be on at start up?

#25 2 years ago

Spinners lights are on continuous mini steppers, so no preferred starting position.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

Spinners lights are on continuous mini steppers, so no preferred starting position.

Gotcha.

#27 2 years ago

So I think I know what i did to get it working. In all my clean up i didn’t brush/sand the pin on the score motor jack. But from removing it and replacing it a few times I think I made that connection better. Is that possible?

Long list of issues to follow

#28 2 years ago

Slingshots work. But score no points. Is that correct?

#29 2 years ago

Advance Right bonus switch worked when closed but only scored 400

Similarly, the advance Left bonus switch worked but only scored 300

#30 2 years ago

Right bonus hole kicked the ball out but scored no points

#31 2 years ago

Right outlane switch advanced bonus but scored no points

#32 2 years ago

Outhole doesn’t kick the ball out when it drains nor does it move to ball 2

HowardR gave me something to try above

#33 2 years ago

Same player shoots again is lit on startup

#34 2 years ago

Chimes sound like garbage and don’t work consistently

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from ptrav1:

Chimes sound like garbage and don’t work consistently

Are chime units on EMs from same manufacturer interchangeable?

#36 2 years ago

I’ve got a couple hours later this evening to do some more work. I’ll probably go through and be sure all bulbs installed are good so that I can better identify problems.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from ptrav1:

Are chime units on EMs from same manufacturer interchangeable?

Williams from that era will share them. You can get a rebuild kit... https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-7507-1-CUK3

But even when you are done and it is shiny and new looking... it will still sound like someone hitting a wrench on pipe!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-chimes-rebuild-or-upgrade

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from spinout:

But even when you are done and it is shiny and new looking... it will still sound like someone hitting a wrench on pipe!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-chimes-rebuild-or-upgrade

That’s hilarious. Good to know I have some options.

#39 2 years ago

Looks like you have a good start on things. Mine had rat damage and I had to rewire a whole wad of mess involving 5 relays.
The left and right bonus units are key for proper operation involving the right/left outholes, bonus scoring. Get those units correct and a lot of your problems will go away.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Looks like you have a good start on things. Mine had rat damage and I had to rewire a whole wad of mess involving 5 relays.
The left and right bonus units are key for proper operation involving the right/left outholes, bonus scoring. Get those units correct and a lot of your problems will go away.

Wow. It’s a little intimidating for sure, but the kind folks on here make it a little less so.

#41 2 years ago

mmaston here. Thank you AndrewP for confirming the correct contact switch for the knocker on the Credit Unit. The switch is dead for some reason. No power. Continuity is good from the switch to pin 7 on the 24 pin Jones Pin block. Good continuity from that Jones pin to the actual knocker. Need to find why no power. Rest of the Credit Unit works.....with the exception of High Scores.

Previous posts asked to share some adventures of this project. While probably already experienced by many, I found two items that were unique and hour eaters tracking down. Both were in the Player Unit. 1. The disk was installed 180 degrees out. I was not getting 10,000 points and only by chance noticed the 10,000 point tracks on the Player Unit..lugs E, F, G and H. If the disk is installed incorrectly, the feet will not make contact. 2. The Player Unit can also be out of alignment causing cross firing when the feet contact two lugs at the same time. Loosened the two set screws and rotated the board and everything realigned correctly. That one thing created most of the problems with an otherwise pretty clean machine.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

So neither side advanced the light when spinners were hit. I cleaned up both ministeppers and now they both seem to be working.

Progress.

#43 2 years ago

Jimbo lending a hand

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from ptrav1:

Also there is a loud hum coming from the one of the steppers on the mech panel. Maybe that’s not normal, but it’s been doing it ever since I got the game.

I was wrong, the loud hum was coming from the lock relay. Since it’s always on, I removed the spring and now it’s much quieter.

#45 2 years ago

How do you switch these red arrows? I checked the bulbs on the right and they work. I suppose I don’t understand the rules of the game yet, but with all my random hitting and messing with things I would’ve thought that I would have tripped the right arrow by now.

#46 2 years ago

What does this rollover switch in the top left lane do? When I roll over it I can’t tell that it activates anything.

#47 2 years ago

OK. I think I’m calling it a night. One last question.

While testing the game, the saucers (top 5000 and right and left bonus) and the drop target reset coils stopped working for no apparent reason. This happened earlier and when I powered off the game and powered it back on the problem was solved.

Thoughts?

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from ptrav1:

So neither side advanced the light when spinners were hit. I cleaned up both ministeppers and now they both seem to be working.
Progress.

False. Still flaky. Ugh.

#49 2 years ago

Good Morning ptrav1. I believe the roll over switch on the left spinner lane acts as a second type of tilt function. It is connected to the tilt. If the ball travels back down the lane, not up, the switch activates causing loss of ball. I suppose it was added to add greater skill, or just aggravate me. Mine currently is a bit finicky, appears to be an alignment issue. Currently leaving it inop until I sort the other issues.

#50 2 years ago

Tip for you, found out the hard way.

Do NOT use sandpaper or Emery board to clean contacts. They will leave non conductive particles behind and your contacts will not work so good.

Point file or flex file only.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-noob-?hl=carlo45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.