Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by cfh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Is there a way to test a old em game motor to see if it works? The game is taken apart and is in boxes at this point, that is how I got it. I just don't want to put it all back together to find out the motor is not working. The guy said it was working before he started this project, but I would like to see the motor work before I put much time in it.

#2 10 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much. Set it up and fire it up. The motor almost always works.

You will have some switch adjustments and then a decent working em pinball

Jeff

#3 10 years ago

If you have another EM of the same mfg, could jumper in the other motor (alligator clip wires) and see if it runs when the other does. Probably easier to find a suitable power source and just hook it up to test.

But if the gears turn freely, and the motor looks to be in generally good shape, they don't usually fail.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I will dig into it to check it out. The base cabinet looks like it might all be there, the playfield is what is all taken apart, and not sure about the head, it look like it mostly there. Any harm to just plug it in as is, the base cabinet only?

#5 10 years ago

Generally no issue, but would first want to give it a reasonable inspection to make sure the fuses are intact and correct, nothing is mechanically seized, no dangerous wiring/hacks and such.

#6 10 years ago

Ok, I will give a good look at before plugging it in. I have a few EM's but this thing is a mess.

#7 10 years ago

Check fuses for correct values. I have NEVER seen one that had the right fuses installed........

#8 10 years ago

That will be the first thing I do. Thanks

#9 10 years ago

The motor works!! The transformer is really buzzing and loud. Does anyone have one that you are willing to sell; William's 15-A-6771 for a Skylab.

#10 10 years ago

I keep an old bally transformer around that has both 30 and 50 volt outputs. Use this as a test platform for EM motors and the like. just make sure you hook the right voltage up to the motor. It should say if it's 30 or 50 volts right on the motor, but knowing the manufacturer helps too. For example gottlieb always 30 volts. Williams pre-1963 is 50 volts, 30 voltage 1963 and later. Bally is always 50 volts.

as for a noisy transformer, that does not matter. you can tighten the screws holding the motor plates, sometimes that fixes the noise. but the noise doesn't mean anything bad.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Fayette, IL
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-motor-testing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.