3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by wayinla
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Em Leg Protectors?”

• Felt protector 3 votes
      20%
    • Plastic protector 2 votes
      13%
    • Metal protector 3 votes
      20%
    • No, I don’t use protection. 6 votes
      40%
    • Other 1 vote
      7%

(15 votes)

#1 3 years ago

Do you use some kind of leg protectors on your em? If so, what kind? I am about to finish a cabinet repaint and was wondering if any kind of protector is necessary.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayinla:

Do you use some kind of leg protectors on your em? If so, what kind? I am about to finish a cabinet repaint and was wondering if any kind of protector in necessary.

Leg protectors are for collectors who spend $9,500 on a Stern LE, play it 17 times, then sell it.

Seriously, I bought a set for the first game I repainted. They didn’t stay on for very long because they looked out of place next to other games that didn’t have them. Since then, I feel a tremendous sense of satisfaction putting unadorned legs on a restored cabinet. It’s like smashing a bottle of champagne on the bow of a ship for its maiden voyage. I can only hope my paint job will last for a very long time, and acquire its own patina decades from now. The accrual of that patina begins here.

#3 3 years ago

I'm totally opposite of most here. I leave cabinet the way it is. I like the patina of it's age. However, I have carefully repainted all of my legs. All I do is use some black construction paper cut to shape and size as my leg protector. I dont like the look of most protectors sticking out past the leg. I trim mine so they are just flush with the leg and you can't see it. Probably dont need them, but dont want leg paint on the cabinet and vice versa.

#5 3 years ago

I always use felt protectors on stenciled cabs.

#6 3 years ago

I dont think you can go wrong with the metal spacers that keep the legs just off the cab. It also depends on the machine though. Sometimes the color ones add a nice accent to the cab and sometimes white ones blend in to a mostly white cab. It really all comes down to look and feel. I dont think nudging feels quite the same with plastic and felt. No trouble with the metal. I will have to try the construction paper idea though. Definitely an option for painted legs. But, then again, sometimes you just dont feel like using protection....

#7 3 years ago

I've repainted 4 EM cabinets over the years and only attempted to protect the first one.

After all, what marring that may be done from putting a leg on, will be covered up by the leg anyway.

#8 3 years ago

I've used the plastic kind you can get from Pinball Life and they work fine, but the only downside is they tend to stick to newly painted cabinets and that can be an issue. And they are made for modern games so for EMs they hang down below the cab. I end up cutting them off before I install them.

MikeO told me about these. These are the freaking gold standard as far as I'm concerned. They won't fall off and they don't show when the leg is on, and they keep the leg off the cabinet and your fresh paint work.

https://www.pinballlife.com/metal-cabinet-protectors-set-of-4.html

There is still flex in the legs when you move a game with the legs on. I've had new paint jobs show damage outside the legs without a protector so the idea the legs will cover any damage is not always true.

I will never repaint another cab without installing these.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for the responses! I might just go naked on the protectors. Still need to stencil one more side of the cabinet and clear coat. The light at the end of the tunnel is coming up... slowly!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-leg-protectors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.