• 1977 Gottlieb Jacks Open (Replay) 20 votes
    43%
  • 1977 Gottlieb Lucky Hand (AAB) 21 votes
    45%
  • Toss-Up in my mind 6 votes
    13%

(47 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6405_(resized).JPG
Used_backglasses_for_sale_011_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
20160327_195602_(resized).jpg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I have the opportunity to trade for a Jacks Open or it's AAB version Lucky Hand.

If condition of the two games were essentially equal, which game would you choose (vote in poll above), and why (feel free to leave a comment below)? I realize I'll get both the pro-AAB vs. anti-AAB sentiments, and that's totally fine.

I realize there are good arguments to be made for both. Regardless, they're fantastic games, but just curious what the gang thinks. Always good to get other opinions.

On one hand, Jacks Open is an amazing replay game, with the progressive card-hands. On the other hand, in my small (room for 7 games) collection, having one AAB might be kinda cool, and LH would give me essentially the same rules-set as JO but with the AAB feature. But I also know the game-play on LH can be long (too long?).

I'll hang up and listen.

#2 3 years ago

I have a Lucky Hand and love the challenge to add more balls to the game. The backglass is just beautiful, and looks awesome next to my Capt Card. I haven't played a Jacks Open that I can remember to be fair.

Waiting for repro playfields to replace the planked. Best of "Luck"

#3 3 years ago

I voted LH it's a tougher game to find and I'm an AAB guy. I played a Jacks Open in Allentown 2012 and had a pre-bought LH that came up from Atlanta. Game stayed in my lineup for 3.5 years, just sold it in December to fund a Pleasure Isle

#4 3 years ago

As you mentioned, JO and LH share the card hand progression, but LH not only increases drop target value with the top rollovers, they light another'wow' when all are collected, adding to the strategy. I agree that at times AAb games can drag on. I set the initial AAb scores high, so one has to have a good game to get your foot in the door and start stockpiling extra balls. So Lucky Hand by a nose, even though I am often partial to replay games. (btw, just finished restoring a second LH)

20160327_195602_(resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

I to have a lucky hand.i don't know anything about machine settings on the jacks open but on lucky hand the back glass will show flipping the machine up to 10x ..I believe this is in the novelty setting..adding balls ads excitement that you just cant get with the free play.mine is a keeper with a repo backglass on order ..how can you go wrong with either game? good luck on your choice

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I agree that at times AAb games can drag on.

What do you have to do to get an AAB...complete the straight flush? My only thought is like you said some AAB games go on a long time...but if you have to get the straight flush to add that can be tough. It's not like Neptune where you get them rally easy IF that's the case.

#7 3 years ago

Jacks Open is a great game, but Lucky Hand has a number of unique features that distinguish it well from its replay sibling. Others have spoken about the top rollovers where you can chase a traveling WOW light after completing the upper card sequence, but there other neat things, like the 1110 relay, which fires the 10s, 100s, and 1000s chimes sequentially when you hit a lit rollover along the sides; it makes a pleasing, music-like sound. Lucky Hand also has novelty mode, where you get a different ruleset and a fixed number of balls, kind of like a replay game.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

What do you have to do to get an AAB...complete the straight flush? My only thought is like you said some AAB games go on a long time...but if you have to get the straight flush to add that can be tough. It's not like Neptune where you get them rally easy IF that's the case.

Ways to acieve extra balls:

scoring points as set by pins in the light box

Completing all 4 rollover suits (spades , hearts, diamonds , clubs) then one lane lights up WOW controlled randomly by the center pop.

Completing a pair of Jacks, 3 Queens , Full House (Queens over kings ) then all 5 red cards (A K Q J 10) in succession , as each hand is achieved all the drops reset . Once you get the straight flush (all red drops) the drops reset to only the red cards and the wow insert lights up. Each time you successfully drop those 5 targets you get a ball and the 5 red cards pop back up

One strategy is to knock out 3 rollover lanes and leave the 4 th lane lit. Every drop target scores 1000 it's but is doubled , tripled, or quadrupled as each achieved rollover lane is accrued . So if you have 3 lanes achieved at the top each drop is now worth 4000 points.

The red queen center drop can be a drain shot so hit it on an angle. Also if your a ball trapper be wary of the open wire I between the save and drain lanes . In the drain lane you can nudge a save, really a unique feature.

#9 3 years ago

Lucky Hand

#10 3 years ago

Never played a LH, but Jacks Open is one of my favorites. Looking at your collection I'd say to 'add' an aab. I have a couple aab games and really appreciate the different play. Gives variety in the line-up.

#11 3 years ago

Being an aab guy, my vote goes to "Lucky Hand". It's a really great player, and tougher to find unless your in Connecticut. It seems like every "LH" has spent some time there.

#12 3 years ago

I'm not an AAB guy but I want you to buy the Lucky Hand everyone is so hot for you to have so I can get the Jacks Open you pass on.

Ken

#13 3 years ago

Well if you can get both...get 'em both! Good trading material right there.

#14 3 years ago

I've had a JO going on 13 years now and it's not going anywhere..........that's where my vote is but it looks as if I'm in the minority here. Never played a Lucky Hand.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I've had a JO going on 13 years now and it's not going anywhere..........that's where my vote is but it looks as if I'm in the minority here. Never played a Lucky Hand.

I'm with you Hoov. I HAVE played both and LH didn't change my negative opinion of AAB games. They can go on forever..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

It took me many years to piece together a nice JO and it would probably be 2nd to the last to leave my Wedgeheads.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I'm with you Hoov. I HAVE played both and LH didn't change my negative opinion of AAB games. They can go on forever..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
It took me many years to piece together a nice JO and it would probably be 2nd to the last to leave my Wedgeheads.

Thanks CJ

Nice to know I'm not the only one that wouldn't give up my JO............

#17 3 years ago

Jacks Open has no potential to award extra balls; it's replays or points only. If extra balls are important to you, Lucky Card is the way to go, the scoring looks more intricate as well. You might also want to consider that it's the rarer of the two (~600 units).

#18 3 years ago

Anyone own a solid-state Jacks To Open, and what do they think of it? El Dorado had all its charm surgically removed when they made the City Of Gold version, so I won't be surprised if feelings for Jacks To Open are the same.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

That was the beauty back in the 70's. Some Greasy looking motorcycle jackass would plop his quarter down and stand there arms folded with a pack of Marlboro's rolled up In his sleeve, like he's some badass pinball thug. After a half hour and some evil stares he storms away picking up his greasy quarter.

#20 3 years ago

I've owned both. Definitely Lucky Hand.

image_(resized).jpeg

#21 3 years ago

Sorry for the thread divergence, but I figured this was the place to ask with so many jacks open/lucky hand folks on here.

Does anyone know if someone or some company may be planning on reproducing the playfields on these particular pins in the near future?

I've seen some other em threads about certain machines possibly getting repo playfields but haven't seen anything specific to Jacks Open.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

Sorry for the thread divergence, but I figured this was the place to ask with so many jacks open/lucky hand folks on here.
Does anyone know if someone or some company may be planning on reproducing the playfields on these particular pins in the near future?
I've seen some other em threads about certain machines possibly getting repo playfields but haven't seen anything specific to Jacks Open.

Really Wade Krauss is da man but his next few projects are games I don't own/want.

He does a few per year and needs a commitment of 20 buyers. Maybe you'll get lucky and a nice PF or game will come up for sale. Good Luck either way.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Really Wade Krauss is da man but his next few projects are games I don't own/want.
He does a few per year and needs a commitment of 20 buyers. Maybe you'll get lucky and a nice PF or game will come up for sale. Good Luck either way.

You don't own Atlantis, or don't want?

As for Jacks to Open, the game play is similar to JO, of course with added ability of SS games, but the art just isn't at all up to snuff.

JO all the way for me, but I'm not an AAB guy. When you grow up on replay, AAB just doesn't hold a lot of interest, at least for me. But it's still pinball, so better than nothing.

#24 3 years ago

My brother briefly owned a "Jacks to Open". Very briefly!

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

My brother briefly owned a "Jacks to Open". Very briefly!

Well, does he now own a Lucky Hand? Oh, never mind I misread it as Jacks Open.

#26 3 years ago

He does in fact own a "Lucky Hand". That's a keeper!

#27 3 years ago

No I don't want an Atlantis it's a replay game. My Lawman lasted 3 months, I hate that playfield layout ! Random lanes on the right suck out loud IMHFO . Abra ca Dabra is a better game, Team one is a better player but the artwork is beyond craptastic . I've owned both and they're not keepers .

#28 3 years ago

No I don't want an Atlantis it's a replay game. My Lawman lasted 3 months, I hate that playfield layout ! Random lanes on the right suck out loud IMHFO . Abra ca Dabra is a better game, Team one is a better player but the artwork is beyond craptastic . I've owned both and they're not keepers .

To each his own, I guess. I own both Atlantis and ACD and I'd dispute that ACD is better. It's close, but Atlantis is the tougher game.

The lanes aren't necessarily random, though.

#29 3 years ago

Is add a ball really pinball. I thought it was just to skirt the gambling laws (kind of like non alcoholic beer)

#30 3 years ago

Sure, that's it.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from frb:

Is add a ball really pinball. I thought it was just to skirt the gambling laws (kind of like non alcoholic beer)

As an AAB hater: Yes, AAB is real pinball. It certainly is leaps and bounds better than Virtual Pinball. Its still physical pinball. Its just the implementation of awards that make it less than desirable to me. Of course, I grew up in Replay territory and still like "worthless" replays in the home environment over extended game play. I guess I like a like to see light at the end of the tunnel. Not a darkness that can go on for an eternity.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from frb:

Bad analogy. NA beer isn't beer. Add-a-ball games don't award replays, but is that all there is to pinball?

#33 3 years ago

You win free balls on a replay, you just have to start another game to use them. Aabs simply give them to you during the game. Just a different way to play. Some game have drop targets, some have spinners, different layouts and goals...it's all variety which is good of course.

#34 3 years ago

Another dislike I have for Atlantis and Centigrade 37 , the soft girly colors on the cabinet. artwork is important for me that is why Team One was sent packing.

Replay vs. AAB it's where you grew up. Both have appeal to persons indigenous to the state they played on route +/-40 < years ago

#35 3 years ago

Send the Atlantis's, C-37's, etc., my way and I'll reciprocate by sending aab's!

#36 3 years ago

I borrowed Atlantis for a year and I had every opportunity under the sun to actually buy it. The game is a good game but not a keeper for me. I do miss Abra-Ca-Dabra mildly but not enough to own another one. My good friend misses my Abra and used to sing that dreadful Steve Miller song while playing it. I played a few games of Jack's Open at the TPF. I liked the way you got cards to collect bonus but I am a ball trapper / roll back up the lane type of player. If you trap the ball on this game it rolls off the wire and into the outlane and out of play. C-37 leaves me cold each and everytime I play it. I have tried to like it several times. AAB games kinda drive me nuts because I want the game to end at some point. I want realistic scores not 6000, 7000+ scores 10 balls later. It is why I plan to send my 1964 Gottlieb Big Top (2 player AAB) packing if I can find a buyer.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

You win free balls on a replay, you just have to start another game to use them. Aabs simply give them to you during the game. Just a different way to play. Some game have drop targets, some have spinners, different layouts and goals...it's all variety which is good of course.

back in the day I have sold a few replays.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I do miss Abra-Ca-Dabra mildly but not enough to own another one.

...and used to sing that dreadful Steve Miller song while playing it.

I was just playing some Abra the other week...I like that one.

Shut up that song is sweeeeet!

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Send the Atlantis's, C-37's, etc., my way and I'll reciprocate by sending aab's!

Sure I'll take a Rockstar & a Pleasure Isle

#40 3 years ago

Lukewarm on "Atlantis", although I wouldn't pass an easy one up. I wish they had made an aab version of it.
"C-37" would be nothing but a flip for me. Girly colors and theme as "Delta" says.
"Rock Star", "Blue Note", and "TKO" would also be flip games for me. Would love to find a nice "AcD".

#41 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for the diverse and insightful comments. After a long debate, I am thrilled to announce I traded for a Gottlieb Lucky Hand with another Pinsider, who is now the proud owner of the Gottlieb 2001 that I had for about two weeks. We both walked away happy, and promised visitation rights to each other for our respective former games, haha.

Although I'd have been equally thrilled with the Jacks Open, for me it came down to:

a.) I really wanted ONE AAB in my small collection
b.) I love the progressive card-hands rules set on this game (and on Jacks Open)
c.) New Lucky Hand back-glass is available from Ron Webb starting May 15 (I'm now on the list)
d.) The condition of the playfield of this game is exceptional.

I will do some minor restorations and need to decide if I leave the cabinet alone, do touch-ups, or another full repaint at some point. The cabinet is the only part of the game that needs help.

I'll post a separate thread shortly with pics and for posting restoration questions.

Thanks again!

Mark

#42 3 years ago

Who knows the difference in game play rules between AcD and Team One?

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

c.) New Lucky Hand back-glass is available from Ron Webb starting May 15 (I'm now on the list)

Mark

Yay! I am on that list too!

#44 3 years ago

Since I like EM hacks, here's a little challenge I took on a few years ago while with Team EM. Hopefully someone will find it interesting.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Hacking_a_Gottlieb_Lucky_Hand

Steve

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Since I like EM hacks, here's a little challenge I took on a few years ago while with Team EM. Hopefully someone will find it interesting.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Hacking_a_Gottlieb_Lucky_Hand
Steve

Steve,
Nice mod and write up. Reading through the first part, it was easy to see that adding a 100,000 stepper requires less work than adding a 5 step WOW unit while logically, one would have thought moving the 10 plus lamp wires would have been harder. .... Live and learn!

I assume the game therefore awards score wows on every threshold within the 00,000 to 99,000 range repeating for each 100,000 too?

Or did you somehow address this later?

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I borrowed Atlantis for a year and I had every opportunity under the sun to actually buy it. The game is a good game but not a keeper for me. I do miss Abra-Ca-Dabra mildly but not enough to own another one. My good friend misses my Abra and used to sing that dreadful Steve Miller song while playing it. I played a few games of Jack's Open at the TPF. I liked the way you got cards to collect bonus but I am a ball trapper / roll back up the lane type of player. If you trap the ball on this game it rolls off the wire and into the outlane and out of play. C-37 leaves me cold each and everytime I play it. I have tried to like it several times. AAB games kinda drive me nuts because I want the game to end at some point. I want realistic scores not 6000, 7000+ scores 10 balls later. It is why I plan to send my 1964 Gottlieb Big Top (2 player AAB) packing if I can find a buyer.

Just dead catch the ball on the flipper. When you grew up playing two inch flipper games with no inlanes, you got pretty good at catching the ball on the flipper. Doing it with three inch flippers is pretty easy.

Now I'm laughing when guys think the colors of Atlantis are "girly." Seriously...

#47 3 years ago

So it turns out that Lucky Hand is the machine I play. So I'm not blowing wows up all the time and clocking a bunch of add-a-balls...but that might just be me.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So it turns out that Lucky Hand is the machine I play. So I'm not blowing wows up all the time and clocking a bunch of add-a-balls...but that might just be me.

I had all 5 wows lit on my best game, 585,000 was my final score

#49 3 years ago

I had all 5 wows lit on my best game, 585,000 was my final score

Jeez...that's a chunky score. Not growing up with EMs the open inlane guide is always hard on me.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Who knows the difference in game play rules between AcD and Team One?

Vic I owned both they sat side by side for 5 months. The big difference I saw was the target behind the drops on the upper tier on TO. And I was the guy who snagged ACD in Allentown 3 years ago. BTW you know me as Wedgehead Killer .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
€ 279.00
Displays
PINBALLSP
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside