Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you high-tap your EMs?”

• Yes 33 votes
      38%
    • No 55 votes
      63%

(88 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vroom (resized).jpg
    vroom2 (resized).jpg
    0Bang-Bang-Work-01 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from heatwave:

I'm in the 'sometimes' group. Don't know that I've noticed a big difference when I've done it (unlike with hot coils or DC rectifiers where there is an immediate difference). I've also never had a problem with broken drop targets, etc. when I have done it.

On some games I have done it. In some cases it made a difference, in others it was not noticeable.

Wiring does increase resistance with age so upping the voltage helps.

What operators did back in the day.. is no concern of mine. I want to play a fun game.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I will say this about high tap though... it can kick the crap out of the ball! though personally i have not experienced ripped posts and broken plastics, that no doubt could be an issue. Increased ball speeds will do that.

Then this would be a problem with mid-70's game with DC power and solid state games as well would it not? There is no difference in the posts, plastics and most elastics from the 60's to the 80's. If the plastics and posts can survive DC powered poppers and flippers than a little high tap on an older unit is a gentle kiss in comparison.

The most wear I see are on playfields from dragging flippers, rusty balls, saucer eject points, outholes, etc.

Abuse and neglect.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

High tapping and yellow dot coils are just total overkill.

It is all a case by case basis, I have a different experience.

I have a Gottlieb with 2" flippers which was a snooze-fest so I high tapped it, which only made it marginally better.

So I ordered up a set of yellow dot coils planning on "low tapping" when they arrived.

Once the coils were installed I found the game was "just right" and left it that way. It gets played almost daily and just inspected the playfield last week when I swapped out the new and somewhat unreliable incandescent 47 bulbs they sell now with Comet sunlight LED for the GI lighting.

Everything looked perfect, nothing abnormal of note. Star Action and Night Rider moves the ball far harder about the table than my high tapped and yellow dotted Domino. Night Rider in particular has some brutal ball action up in the poppers.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I've never had any issues of any kind from high tapping a game. But I don't care too much for the yellow dots. Just too powerful. I put them on a Big Indian one time, those drops up at the very top seemed to be asking for them. I was getting glass at the top of the playfield, they were just too powerful. The orange dots are better but it will be a game by game decision on those.

3" vs 2" flippers.

Longer flipper is going to have a bunch more leverage behind it. Think adding a cheater bar to a tire wrench.

Come to think of it, I don't think any of my 3" games are high tapped, just a few of the 2" ones.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Actually the 3" have less leverage, but more velocity if you hit the ball within that extra inch.

I was thinking of an analogy like when you are using a pipe wrench and you add a bar to get more leverage.

3" flipper = longer pipe wrench

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-high-tap-poll?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.