• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

33712E21-B3A9-41C1-810F-0D9992049A23 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Gottlieb power rail switches (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 80sMan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hi Folks,

Complete newbie/beginner to EM's, not at all to pinball or solid state but needless to say it's only helped me to this point that I'm stuck. Would appreciate a few pointers please to check and get my 1965 Kings & Queens going? Feeling like I'm almost there, but possibly far away.

To summarize the problem, this was the previous state:
Game powered on but Motor was continually spinning adding credits and running up the game counter. Cleaned a bunch of switches and got it to stop finally. I did manage to have one game very early in the process where everything was working but then it wouldn't let me start a new one again, motor just continuously spun. All fuses test out good with mm and are of proper amperage, did some more switch cleaning on the motor, got it to stop.

Now here is the current state:
The game powers on when I trip the credit switch, motor moves into place, all looks good but I can't get a game started.
Some observations (not sure if normal or wrong)
*db reset relay pulled in, r hold relay pulled in
Scoring reel at 0, credits at max 15 (but just from me coining up previously, i can keep adding credits no problem)
**Most lights are on, but no flashers, no flippers or scoring. The saucer coils work if I manually trigger them on top of the playfield but that's pretty much it, no other coils, slings, nothing really works.
Left flipper button doesn't start the game, middle button reset of coin door does nothing.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

#5 2 years ago

Thanks Gentleman.. Step #1 is failing right off the bat, if I press the replay button the start relay (sb) doesn’t pull in?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What do you mean by "the credit switch"?

Credit switch meaning at the bottom of the coin mechs either by finger or dropping a coin in, it’s the only option that powers on the game so far.

#7 2 years ago

Tested sb relay with mm but appears there is no resistance at all on it where as the others have over 2 ohms no problem. It’s a digital mm so I could be wrong and realize coils don’t usually fail? But could it be possible? Any other suggestions to test this possibility without replacing it?

#8 2 years ago

Alright.. getting somewhere I think. According to the schematic, checked the 1 point relay and cleaned, adjusted the switches. I was able to start a game albeit with the credit switch again not the (proper way) but now have power to flippers, solenoids, etc. While playing, something triggered the 0-9 unit to pull in its coil and not let go so constant ringing! Unplugged it and now will try to clean that up, go from there!

#9 2 years ago

Ok, I traced back the schematics to the best of my ability, replay button on the center of the coin door now powers on the game but it’s back to motor spinning again non stop. The sb start relay coil is engaged, the db reset relay is engaged and I can’t get any further. Coils do test out for proper ohms. What would you do next? Thanks

1 week later
#11 2 years ago

Ok, solved.. something so simple caused so many dang issues and was very difficult initially to find. The s-armature switch was grounded to the frame on the reset bank and shouldn’t be grounded.. so the only explanation is that someone was adjusting the switch by taking it off and didn’t put it back on right, causing the short to ground. Thanks for all your help everyone! These materials provided got me looking in the right direction. K&Q is running great now and can finally get to the fun stuff like cleaning it up and shopping it out.

Something more simple? Can someone please tell me where this stickers goes? It fell off and was in my cash box. Thanks!

33712E21-B3A9-41C1-810F-0D9992049A23 (resized).jpeg33712E21-B3A9-41C1-810F-0D9992049A23 (resized).jpeg
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

ball trough by the last two switches closed by ball 4 and ball 5

Thank you Kind Sir.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 80sMan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-help-needed-gottlieb-kings-amp-queens-startup?tu=80sMan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.