(Topic ID: 100917)

EM guys - how hard/easy are SS games to fix compared to EM?

By Polonius

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hoov.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago

I have bought and sold a few ss's that have come up for sale locally. The one thing I would recommend you do is inspect the boards closely before you buy. There will be back-up batteries residing on the mpu or cpu from the factory. If they have never been changed you may have leakage in that board and boards below it/next to it. Also, look closely for burn marks on any boards and any hacks in the area of the boards while you're in there. A visual inspection could save you some grief. If you have an experienced tech. to work with over the phone concerning boards, he can guide you through a test procedure to help identify a bad board. You can either send it in for repair, buy a replacement board if available, or convert to a new board set depending on era. That's just a matter of swapping a board(s) out which is easy - just make sure you ground yourself and use anti-static (esd) bags/box to ship.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from cjmiller:

This thread reminds me of the story about the newspaper reporter interviewing the old locomotive mechanic during the time the railroads were switching over from steam locomotives to diesel-electrics.
    The reporter said, "Isn't it so much nicer to work on the modern diesel-electric locomotives than the dirty old steam engines?"
    The old mechanic thought a second and said, "Well, with a steam engine it takes about 2 minutes to find the problem, and then it takes 8 hours to fix it. On these new diesel-electrics it takes 8 hours to find the problem, and 2 minutes to fix it. Either way you're working all damned day on the thing, so I don't see much difference."

Great analogy........

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hoov.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-guys-how-hardeasy-are-ss-games-to-fix-compared-to-em?tu=hoov and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.