(Topic ID: 100917)

EM guys - how hard/easy are SS games to fix compared to EM?

By Polonius

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago

In terms of technology advancement in pinball, my learning has gone backwards. My first pin (probably 10 years ago) was a T2. This is what I learned on. LOT's of circuit board components. Replaced bridges, caps and connectors. Learned how to carefully remove the connectors from each board, take each board off and stare at the solder joints for broken or burnt connections. The continuity meter has become my best friend. Learned how to get those stinkn' batteries away from the boards as well.

Then I went to a System 9 Sorcerer. Still solid state, a bit simpler but the same still applies. Look for what doesn't look right on a circuit board. My Sorcerer was firing two coils at the same time due to a poor solder job on the back of one of the boards where someone overflowed solder between two traces. It was immediately obvious once you took the board off. The continuity meter is your friend.

Then I went to a System 6 Firepower (which I still have and love). Dude, that game was playing the wrong sounds when switch hits were made!!! WTF! This was where I was introduced to bad chips. A faulty PIA chip on the sound board was the problem...but it took me hours upon hours of checking connections and transistors to figure that out. Once again the continuity meter was my friend. Also the ohm setting as well. After many hours of replacing old caps, a 5101 RAM chip (almost a necessity on early SS games) and desoldering and resoldering EVERY header pin on each of the boards, that baby is rock freakin' solid. After doing all that work I would recheck my solder connections for solidity and accidental bridging. The continuity meter is your friend.

Then my father hooked me up with a guy that wanted his 1976 Aztec fixed. Non-working game stored in a barn for 25 years. What's he paying me in? More non-working (and filthy) pinball machines. Two EM's. I'm like "sure, I guess I guess I can give it a shot." My experience with how switches worked was applied to the max when going over this game. Since I've had nothing but dead (or almost) EM's I found that going over EVERYTHING and cleaning EVERYTHING is the best approach for when you finally flip that power switch. Afterwards, there's usually not too many issues left.

Maybe get an early solid state game as your first. Gottlieb System 1's seem pretty simple. Also, while I use one of them cheapo 15 watt Weller for EM's, I have an analogue temperature controlled Weller with a fine tip for doing circuit board work. Much cleaner and less likely to burn something. And keep that tip clean.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 120.75
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 208.87
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 224.99
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 305.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside