(Topic ID: 100917)

EM guys - how hard/easy are SS games to fix compared to EM?

By Polonius

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 9 years ago

I also went backwards on this. I started with early SS, advance through all the way towards modern games, and not long ago added EM. I thought the EM would be so much more interesting because the logic is all there in the open. That took me through a bunch of stages of confusion with EMs. I was spending hours with schematics trying to figure out some issues that would have been simple for me on an SS game. And then one desperate day it clicked. X must not work because Y must not be connecting. Boom, issues were easy (well easier) to find. This isn't working? That means a bad switch in the alternating stack. All of a sudden EM games made more sense.

That is a long winded way to say that different generations of games are different. And each one requires special logic to understand. But that shouldn't scare you. It's just something new to learn. So if you add an SS game, just give yourself time to learn the new way of how it works. Your logic of EM games will serve you well. And you will add a better understanding of electronics. The density changed, but the principals didn't.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-guys-how-hardeasy-are-ss-games-to-fix-compared-to-em?tu=daveh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.