(Topic ID: 96539)

EM guys: what are your thoughts on high-tap?

By swampfire

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Gerry
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-3-512.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 9 years ago

High Tap them ALL!!!

After 50 years or dust and debris and spring stretching all of the coils and relays can use some extra juice. I have not seen any broken plastics or any other detrimental effects.

High Tapping (along with properly rebuilding, shopping and waxing) allows me to put the playfield pitch as steep as possible and really speed up these old games.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

as with ken, i run about a 5.5% pitch, no high tap...

5.5%! That's it!??!! what were they made to run at. Modern pins are supposed to be 6.5 to 7

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I'm curious, do you even own an EM?

I've owned dozens. Only one currently is a Twin Win that I am almost finished with a full restoration. I service machines as my full time job. EM's make up about 15% of that .

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

what pitch modern pins have is completely irrelevant...

not to me.

I like to play fast games. Most of my friends like to play fast games. Most of them don't like EM's because they are too slow (which is apparently due to the 3.5 degree pitch). I have told them that there is no game out there that you can't make faster and you can make an EM play just as fast as a modern game by properly shopping it, waxing it and high tapping it so that you can put the playfield pitch more like the modern games.

You guys are already talking about increasing the pitch from 3 to 5.5 (which is 60-80% over the original). High tapping a game really only changes the coil voltage around 5-10%.

For example on a Bally Captain Fantastic schematic it lists the difference as 53.6 volts to 57.5 volts. That's only a 7% increase.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kbliznick.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-guys-have-you-talked-to-your-kids-about-high-tap?tu=kbliznick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.