DSCN2947.JPG
208261-i.jpg
photo 2.JPG
Stats.jpg
P1010310.JPG
Jr`s door.JPG
PinsiderAge.png
41-50.JPG
There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 9 years ago

Over 125 votes now. Starts to be significant. We can compare the age pyramid with this one... EM owners/lovers are a bit skewed towards 50+, but not by much.

PinsiderAge.pngPinsiderAge.png

#52 9 years ago

Starting playing in the 60's. Muscle cars and quality pinball machines - it was a great era.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

They let us out of school, and my brother and I walked home as usual. Both of our parents worked, so we always came home to an empty house for a few hours,

Nowadays they would call that child neglect. Back then we called it good times.

#54 9 years ago

52 and change. What I remember is that there were pinball machines everywhere, not just at the arcade. 7-11, the corner market, the laundrohut, gas stations, pizza places. I still remember the playing the Big Shot at Slick and Red's Pizza after baseball games. Then we'd play Duck Hunt.

I just love the em's of the early-mid 70's.

#55 9 years ago

I'm 27, and have 4 EMs. I'm not good at repairing them yet, but plan to commit some time to learning soon.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nowadays they would call that child neglect. Back then we called it good times.

100% The term is 'Latch Key Kids'. I was taught how to read a watch, use a key in a door. Then I was set. If a teacher asked why I had a key, the answer would be for the shed, to get my bike.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

100% The term is 'Latch Key Kids'. I was taught how to read a watch, use a key in a door. Then I was set. If a teacher asked why I had a key, the answer would be for the shed, to get my bike.

We lived in a semi-urban area which had some pretty bad elements not far away, so we had deadbolts on all the doors. I was a whiz at getting the keys in both locks and having the door open in about 6 seconds. If the weather was nice, we'd go outside anyway until after Mom came home and she called us in for dinner. It was a different world back then. The things we did growing up in a city back then. It's amazing we survived!

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

The things we did growing up in a city back then. It's amazing we survived!

On occasion we would ride our bikes around town all night until the sun came up.

#59 9 years ago

Turned 50 this year.

Last of the baby boomers.

Grew up right at the end of EM and the beginning of SS.

But I gravitated toward EM.

I like the logic of them and the ability to see cause and effect.

#60 9 years ago

54. Grew up with EM's , currently own two. I remember seeing my first SS (Close Encounters) at a bowling alley in Maine in 1978. I remember standing in line to play a newly released Gorgar at the student union at the college I went to. Holy cow!, a pinball machine that talks!

#61 9 years ago

Being an EMer, has nothing to do with the number of games you own, its an attitude!

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

we had deadbolts on all the doors.

I`d say.

Jr`s door.JPGJr`s door.JPG
#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I marked the 41-50 because I turn 41 in October.

Ten years from now, bet you would still pick the 41-50 Button, lol.

#64 9 years ago

41-50 still leading the pack.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Being an EMer, has nothing to do with the number of games you own, its an attitude!

Pinball is a hobby, that if your interested in it. You do not have to actually have games in your own house to be involved in the hobby. Especially if there are places near by to play EM games, or local guys you can meet on the internet that have pins. That will invite you play them.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Ten years from now, bet you would still pick the 41-50 Button, lol.

I had to sit at the table with all the cool kids.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It could be a lot worse... I've actually promised it to my tattoo guy. I got no room lol. I am waiting on a replacement playfield to show up for Crescendo then I'm gonna start working on that.

Quoted from jrpinball:

"Hang Glider" is a good player. Take it for free if it's decent.

ive got a hi deal....i fall in the 35 category...

#68 9 years ago

I think 61 -70 would be cool. Chances are, they got to play woodrails on location, then the great 60's, and finish strong with the great 70's. What an era to be able to play em's!

#69 9 years ago

Nobody over 70? That makes me kinda sad. Although I suspect they're just not on Pinside.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Nobody over 70? That makes me kinda sad. Although I suspect they're just not on Pinside.

There was another poll on the other side of the house and yes there were some 70+ that responded. So, they're out there.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from cjmiller:

55, and thanks for the 51-60 grouping. Usually it's 55-Death, and a it's little depressing to have to check that box.
First pin was Sweet Hearts as a Christmas present when I was about 12. $25 and the operator shopped it and delivered it for that. Funny, it seemed old even then, but doing the math it would have been less than 10 years old.
What's depressing was that I clearly remember that one entire wall of his building was stacked with old machines two deep against the wall--two giant rows of cabinets with the heads sitting on top, and a mountain of legs in the corner. There had to have been close to 100 machines there, and the deal was $25 got you your pick. Oh to go back in time . . .
Second machine was a shuffle bowler I found in a junk pile behind a restaurant that had just closed. When my parents came home and found that down in our basement, I think they realized they had created a monster by buying me that pinball machine.

Same here, my first game was a Gottlieb Sure Shot when Iwas only 16
The machine itself would have been only 6 yo, which would make it one of the newest game iI ever bought (except for the NIB)

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I think 61 -70 would be cool. Chances are, they got to play woodrails on location, then the great 60's, and finish strong with the great 70's. What an era to be able to play em's!

Yes, but back then they were just a pinball machine

Looking back, I would have played Fast Draw, centigrade , Sinbad, Playboy all new . but for a kid, it was just a game

#73 9 years ago

1 have 2 EM only ; I am not fluent with this technology .

I understood the Gottlieb system, but didn't succeed with Williams EMs

The next EM machine i dream of ? Centigrade, or Royal flush.

P1010310.JPGP1010310.JPG
#74 9 years ago

Very nice Canada Dry lb45. How far are you from Raphael Lankar's museum/collection in Paris?

#75 9 years ago

Edit : I'm 53

30 minutes , i suppose. Was at Paris Montmartre this afternoon

But never been to the museum.
Here's the link :

http://www.pinball-gallery.com/

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

Edit : I'm 53
30 minutes , i suppose. Was at Paris Montmartre this afternoon
But never been to the museum.
Here's the link :
http://www.pinball-gallery.com/

Very cool place from what I hear. Amazing games.

#77 9 years ago

44 and still ticking. Its amazing ive made it this far with all the stupid shit ive done.

I remember playing EMs in the late 70s and loving them

--Jeff

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I'm 62 and you just described my life. As a kid, in the late 50's, I lived near Coney Island, NY and my grandfather was in the arcade business. Played many woodrails, bingo machines and flipperless games. As a teenager during the mid 60's in Cherry Hill, I worked at the arcade in the mall and got familiar with all the EMs on site. I mostly cleaned them, replaced glass, gave credits for all the "lost" quarters that allegedly happened, and learned to enjoy many different titles.
Had SS games in the house for my kids growing up during the 80s and 90s.

Once my kids have moved out of the house, I divested myself of all SS machines, except one (Theater of Magic) and growing my woodrails (4), EMs (4) and also have a 1960 Williams Official Baseball, a pitch and bat (technically a woodrail, I guess).

Joel

#79 9 years ago

I'm 55, been playing pinball since the late 60's, fell in love with it on a 1968 Williams Lady Luck that was in the cafeteria at the local high school, (won't see that today!!)

Started collecting with solid state games in the late 80's, didn't reacquire my passion for EM's until I went to the Pinball Fantasy show in Vegas in 1996, now I am most proud of my EM collection.

#80 9 years ago

I'm 67 and still looking to buy a two player Gottlieb Paradise (1965). My wife gave me a Paradise pinball machine as a Christmas gift our first year together. Looking back I wish I wouldn't have sold the Paradise pin but space was at a premium.

Bill

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

1 have 2 EM only ; I am not fluent with this technology .
I understood the Gottlieb system, but didn't succeed with Williams EMs
The next EM machine i dream of ? Centigrade, or Royal flush.

P1010310.JPG 227 KB

Sheesh. If I had a "C-37*", I'd trade you for that "Canada Dry" in a heartbeat. We could meet like midway across the Atlantic.

#82 9 years ago

I played a few woodrails on location when I was pretty young. They were not very easy to find, nor was I actually looking for them. Just came across them, much like you might come across EMs now in a place with DMD games. They were kind of oddities then. This would have been around 1965. By then, very few were left on location.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

41-50 still leading the pack.

This is a surprise, as by the time these guys played pinball, most machines would have been early SS. If you are 45 now, then when you were 15 it was 1984.

#84 9 years ago

Below are the poll taken 3 months ago in “All Pinball” and our poll “COOL EM guys and gals”

Wonder how many other site can boast that most members are over the age of 40, AND we have members over 80 years young.

Great to see a number of young members liking EMs too.

As Of Monday 11 Aug 2014

Stats.jpgStats.jpg

#85 9 years ago

The fact that EM’s still hold their own is another one of the great aspects of his hobby.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

This is a surprise, as by the time these guys played pinball, most machines would have been early SS. If you are 45 now, then when you were 15 it was 1984.

1984 = 18 y.o.
Never Played an SS in that time period as Video games were started to take a hold.

On location at my Grandfathers store i had the best pinball layout as they were still some wood rails in the seventies/eighties that were still operating.
The following machines were there and me and my brother played they heck out of them when we visited.
Gottlieb ▐ Wood rails→ Ace High → Happy Days.
Williams ▌Wood rails→ Sea Wolf → Hong Kong → Hayburners → Spit Fire.

The rest were all non-wood rail.

Bally ▌Trio and another ?→ I remember it being the canopy glass type but thats as much as i know.
Gottlieb ▌Egg Head → Royal Flush → Atlantis → Duotron → Quick Draw.

There was a few more pins but memory doesnt help me.
Only three machines had survived the sell off my grandfather had done in the early nineties
Wish i knew he was gonna do that.
Me and my brother got the remaining machines.

Post edited by Pin-it: Egg head listed wrong

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

1984 = 18 y.o.

Are you sure ?
45 - 30=?

your did you me you?

1984, I was 22.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Are you sure ?
45 - 30=?

Quoted from Pin-it:

How old? Woodstock minus 3,=

Woodstock was held in 1969. I will cut some slack seeing the concert was an american hippie concert you may not have heard of.

But just in case.

#89 9 years ago

1984 was a bad year in some respects though.

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 required all states to raise their minimum purchase and public possession of alcohol age to 21. States that did not comply faced a reduction in highway funds under the Federal Highway Aid Act....

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

I will cut some slack seeing the concert was an american hippie concert you may not have heard of.

Woodstock, whats this Woodstock,LOL.

But i did misunderstand the 1984=18 bit, had just been in a WOZ thread and that does my head in.

#91 9 years ago

65. Bought my first em in 1978 - Kings and Queens. Did not buy another game until 1994, when I moved, had to learn to take the game apart, and the Pinball Wizards Convention showed up in town as a gutsy pinball experiment by Brian and Denise Hein. I have now owned approximately 165 games - about 70% ems and 30% dmd games, but never more than 18 games at one time. I like them very old and very new. I prefer woodrails, currently have 10, but have owned 31 woodies.

When I can't move them any longer, I will know it will be time to stop, but I don't expect this to happen for a long time.

Harry Irvin
Macungie, PA

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

had just been in a WOZ thread and that does my head in.

Get back to the Ems ,you will lose your mind with those new fangled contraptions.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Are you sure ?
45 - 30=?
your did you me you?
1984, I was 22.

I was under the impression that math was not going to be required here on Pinside.

#94 9 years ago

54 and 27 EM pinballs.

I would prefer 27 and 54 EM pinballs !

The first pinball I played was a WORLD FAIR, I was 7 (in 1967)

Bought my first EM (Target Alpha) in 2006.

I am a real estate agent, the pinball in good condition but out of order, slept for 18 years in the lounge of a customer.

I bought for 200 euros ($270), when I opened the pinball and I saw all relays and wires inside, I thought "I just lost 200 euros...."

Ten days after (thanks to a French forum) my Target Alpha was full working !

---

Wanted : Dead or Alive - In any condition
Gottlieb CHARLIE'S ANGELS EM (not SS version or Fipermatic Brazil-Manaus) & Gottlieb SPACE WALK
You find, you win : REWARD USD 500 each !

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from kangourou:

I would prefer 27 and 54 EM pinballs !

I like your way of thinking.

#96 9 years ago

I'm 39. I started collecting and was all about solid state machines from the early 80s. Even though my first machine was a wizard! I thought that was the way to go. After awhile my started to sway towars EM machines. Long story short I sold all my solid states (besides xenon b/c it's part my wife's) and now I have all ems. I really narrowed it down to 60s gottlieb and Williams machines.I love everything about them. I have nine machines and I'm lookin for about five more

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

1984 = 18 y.o.
Never Played an SS in that time period as Video games were started to take a hold.
On location at my Grandfathers store i had the best pinball layout as they were still some wood rails in the seventies/eighties that were still operating.
The following machines were there and me and my brother played they heck out of them when we visited.
Gottlieb ▐ Wood rails→ Ace High → Happy Days → Egg Head.
Williams ▌Wood rails→ Sea Wolf → Hong Kong → Hayburners → Spit Fire.
The rest were all non-wood rail.
Bally ▌Trio and another ?→ I remember it being the canopy glass type but thats as much as i know.
Gottlieb ▌Royal Flush → Atlantis → Duotron → Quick Draw.
There was a few more pins but memory doesnt help me.
Only three machines had survived the sell off my grandfather had done in the early nineties
Wish i knew he was gonna do that.
Me and my brother got the remaining machines.

Yes... Ditto for me...

Egg Head is a wedgehead not a woodie... Not sure what game you were playing... Distracted by the gals on the backglass maybe?

There was also a Gottlieb 'Sittin' Pretty' there that got a lot of play too...

I'm pretty sure there was a Williams 'Spitfire' as well... Although the memory is fuzzy on that one...

- jeff

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from VDrums2112:

I only own 1 EM but I really like them... Grew up on EMs.
47 years old.

Same

#99 9 years ago

I'm 28. I've got a Sing Along, El Dorado, and Fireball!

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

1984, I was 22.

If I could go back to 1984, I would change nothing. It was a great time to be 22.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-guys-and-girls-how-old-are-we/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.