• 51 to 60 years young 125 votes
    26%
  • 61 to 70 years young 23 votes
    5%
  • >70 years 5 votes
    1%

(479 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

kon-tiki-Thor-Heyerdahl.jpg
chart-399.pdf (PDF preview)
download.jpg
KK.JPG
th-739.jpeg
Hank_Hill.png
Tcboo.JPG
DSCN2947.JPG
208261-i.jpg
photo 2.JPG
Stats.jpg
P1010310.JPG
Jr`s door.JPG
PinsiderAge.png
41-50.JPG

There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 5 years ago

How Old Are We?

Reading a post the other day, some said you don’t see “thumb Down”. This is most likely because of the average age of us EM people (Oldish). I thought it would be interesting to find out via a poll.

So How old are you?

#2 5 years ago

I only own 1 EM but I really like them... Grew up on EMs.

47 years old.

-Steve Ridge

#3 5 years ago

I own only one 1 EM... from my birth year!

Post edited by jlm33: typo

#4 5 years ago

Started collecting them because they go for 1/5 to 1/20 what a DMD game goes for... But now I appreciate the purity of the game play and the ability to repair them without circuit board work or replacement.

That said, I am still going to get an AC/DC Premium at some point...

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Wahnsinniger:

... they go for 1/5 to 1/20 what a DMD game goes for...

Agreed... I don't have the budget some of these other folks do. I'm cutting my teeth on the one I have now, but once I get comfortable working on them, I could pick up a sub $500 EM that needs a little love every month.

-Steve

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Wahnsinniger:

Started collecting them because they go for 1/5 to 1/20 what a DMD game goes for

In Australia they are 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of DMDs excluding games like Tron.

#7 5 years ago

I'm 34 and have a few EMs in my collection along with a couple EM arcade games (Ringer, Vanguard, Two Way Superbell slot machine). I'm currently bringing a Williams Palooka back to life.

#8 5 years ago

I love my EM's. More crazy gameplay; 1/8 the price. Great artwork (ok, sometimes).

#9 5 years ago

56. Never say never (I do have a Pinball Pool, but still, that's like a hybrid), but I just can't get into the modern games. Don't like all the ramps and toys. That's just not pinball to me.

Appreciate the technology involved, but as long as EMs exist, I'm going to be primarily an EM guy.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

some said you don’t see “thumb Down”.This is most likely because of the average age of us EM people

Experience and patience keeps us on an even keel.

How old? Woodstock minus 3,= ← No calculators now. We didnt need or use them from my era unlike today.

Quoted from Chrisbee:

So How old are you?

And what year were you born Chris?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I only own 1 EM... from by birth year!

I own one from the year of conception.

Plus nothing other than Ems have i owned or at least worked on.
Em only club!

#12 5 years ago

I am pretty much a 70's Gottlieb EM snob.

#13 5 years ago

Just turned 50.

I have 7 EM pins, a CC EM ball bowler and a CC EM gun game. I really enjoy the simplicity of working on an EM and the brutality of playing one. The Williams Super Star I have has been kicking my butt lately. Haven't been able to roll it over for months...

#14 5 years ago

I'm currently 43 and all my games are at least 10 years older then me. People say we are nostalgic about the games we played from our youth. I must have been born in the wrong time.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

I am pretty much a 70's Gottlieb EM snob.

Not me.
Bally Gottlieb Williams Chicago Coin ...... ← Just like Blondes Brunettes Redheads i like em all.

#16 5 years ago

Born in the year The Beatles officially broke up... And Sabbath's first two albums...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_in_music

I am also an EM only guy...

- jeff

#17 5 years ago

41-50.JPG

#18 5 years ago

According to my kids, I am "old as Dirt". And I think they mean the brown stuff we walk on, not our ever-so-helpful Dirtflipper. Started playing in '73. and own/collect games from all eras (at least from the 60's on). But for whatever reason, as I get older, the love for the EMs in my collection grows stronger and the desire to own the newer games seems to be fading with a few exceptions.

#19 5 years ago

I'm 50 (thanks for grouping us with the 40s!).

My first EM was OXO. It brought back a flood of memories and I loved it, but when I couldn't fix it I traded it for a Black Hole project. A few years later I bought a Jet Spin. Lovely to look at, but no fun to play - sold that one fast. I mostly forgot about EMs until I played a nice Abra Ca Dabra a few months ago, and then scored an even nicer one. Between that and my new Jumping Jack, I'm hooked. EMs are just fun!

#20 5 years ago

55, and thanks for the 51-60 grouping. Usually it's 55-Death, and a it's little depressing to have to check that box.

First pin was Sweet Hearts as a Christmas present when I was about 12. $25 and the operator shopped it and delivered it for that. Funny, it seemed old even then, but doing the math it would have been less than 10 years old.

What's depressing was that I clearly remember that one entire wall of his building was stacked with old machines two deep against the wall--two giant rows of cabinets with the heads sitting on top, and a mountain of legs in the corner. There had to have been close to 100 machines there, and the deal was $25 got you your pick. Oh to go back in time . . .

Second machine was a shuffle bowler I found in a junk pile behind a restaurant that had just closed. When my parents came home and found that down in our basement, I think they realized they had created a monster by buying me that pinball machine.

#21 5 years ago

48, however most of my EM's were made before I was born......I know I'm in the minority when I say I collect for theme, unique features, rarity and looks rather than for gameplay. Thus, despite a large collection I have almost no games with a card playing theme despite the fact that card playing EM's are among the best EM games with regards to gameplay. The same would apply to pool games if not for the fact that some pool games have 'cool' playfield features.

Also I love the fact that EM collectors love games in original condition so that I don't have to make every game look like it's brand new. I often feel like there is no point in looking at pics of newer solid state machines because they all look the same unless they've been customized.

Cost is also a big factor in deciding to collect EM's. I set out a few years ago with plans to collect mostly SS but it didn't take long to realize that I could often buy 10-20 or more EM's for the price of one nice SS. If space were a factor as it is with most collector's I'm sure I would have purchased more SS machines.

#22 5 years ago

How old am I? I'm still trying to figure out WHERE I am.

#23 5 years ago

33. Still very proud of of first a-division top 3 finish in any "larger than just local" tournament being 2nd place in an EM division. I love the sound, feel, and competition of playing EM's. It's just something completely different from a modern game. And since nobody makes EM's anymore, I'm perfectly okay with the cool crowd not appreciating them. Leaves more points on the table for me and more games that I can buy cheap.

#24 5 years ago

"And in my first memories they shot Kennedy, I went numb when I learned to see"

I'm a few days older than Axl Rose, but not as fat.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

"And in my first memories they shot Kennedy, I went numb when I learned to see"

I cried, but of course I was only a 1 year old so I was crying all the time anyway.

Ken

#26 5 years ago

I've only got 1 EM, but I wear the backglass proudly as my Avatar pic. She's from before my time as a 1974 machine, and I'm 34.

#27 5 years ago

If I could go back to 1974 I would change nothing. It was a great time to be 12 years old.

#28 5 years ago

46......growing up in the 70's, the EM's take you right back. Gotta' love the classic EM sounds

#29 5 years ago

I got both my EM's for free. They are all over the place just sitting in people's garages waiting for a restore, and most people just see them as taking up space

I also got a pin from my birth year: Elektra

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And in my first memories they shot Kennedy

I was in first grade. I remember the announcement coming over the PA speaker in the upper right corner of the classroom. They let us out of school, and my brother and I walked home as usual. Both of our parents worked, so we always came home to an empty house for a few hours, but this was earlier in the day because they let us out early. My brother says he remembers that we hid under the dining room table because we were afraid. If they could kill the president, then they could kill anyone. This is what he remembers us thinking. (I'm sure this posting will now be checked out by the NSA!)
The earliest recollection of an EM on site was a woodrail game somewhere. I was little, and I remember that the flippers worked even though the game was over. I wanted to play it, but I guess I was discouraged to do so by my dad, or some other adult who was there. Then, later on I recall a "Flipper Cowboy" at a department store arcade which I also never played. They had lots of pitch and bat games and two ball bowlers which I did play. The mid '70s were the glory days of EM pinball machines on location. It seemed that you couldn't avoid seeing pinball machines at every shopping mall or department store. We hung out at a local strip mall arcade that was loaded with classic wedgeheads and 2 and 4-player games as well. I saw many a legendary title arrive, fresh out of the box! Those were great times!

#31 5 years ago

I am theme specific on my EM machines. I bought 3 x Sky Jump and 2x Sky Kings. I still need the 1964 bally skydive machine to be complete. I made a best out of 3 for Sky Jump. I sold the second best I could put together. 3rd best was missing to much and will forever be my parts machine. I gave the 2nd best Sky Kings to the nice fellow who helped me move a ton of my junk. I am more of a speed / ramps / pretty toys type pinball person. I still love my Sky Diving themed pins though!

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from cougtv:

I am theme specific on my EM machines. I bought 3 x Sky Jump and 2x Sky Kings. I still need the 1964 bally skydive machine to be complete. I made a best out of 3 for Sky Jump. I sold the second best I could put together. 3rd best was missing to much and will forever be my parts machine. I gave the 2nd best Sky Kings to the nice fellow who helped me move a ton of my junk. I am more of a speed / ramps / pretty toys type pinball person. I still love my Sky Diving themed pins though!

I'm still looking for a nice "Free Fall".

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I'm still looking for a nice "Free Fall".

Sounds like you're an add a ball type fellow.
Every "Free Fall" I have seen has been roached out (about 5-6 over the years).
If I saw a nicer looking one than mine, I would buy it. My sky jump has no planking and plays very very fast for an EM.
The only 3 decent Sky Jumps that I have seen, I have bought. My parts machine might be able to be resurrected, but I think it is worth more as parts. It is missing some drop targets and has some intermittent gremlins in the head. It has been in pieces for years now.

EDIT: If I had no projects, I would have bought one of the beat to hell ones I have seen and made another nice one with mine. I have a horribly long list of pins / arcades to service and tune up though!

#34 5 years ago

I recently picked up my first EM. Been waiting to pull the trigger for some time on one. I have always enjoyed them and having a mix of 70's, 80's, and 90's pins works well for me.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from cougtv:

Sounds like you're an add a ball type fellow.
Every "Free Fall" I have seen has been roached out (about 5-6 over the years).
If I saw a nicer looking one than mine, I would buy it. My sky jump has no planking and plays very very fast for an EM.
The only 3 decent Sky Jumps that I have seen, I have bought. My parts machine might be able to be resurrected, but I think it is worth more as parts. It is missing some drop targets and has some intermittent gremlins in the head. It has been in pieces for years now.
EDIT: If I had no projects, I would have bought one of the beat to hell ones I have seen and made another nice one with mine. I have a horribly long list of pins / arcades to service and tune up though!

Yeah, it's tough to find a "Free Fall" that's in good condition in the three major areas. Lots of reds in the backglass (bad), very popular and heavily played game= lots of playfield wear (bad). Cabinets were very often carved up or otherwise gouged, but some have passable cabinets. I'll pay up for a really nice one; I mean a REALLY nice one!

#36 5 years ago

My age is the same year I graduated from high school:

"We're the class that really clicks...one-nine-six-six!"

I don't have any EM's because I don't know how to work on them and I started with early SS to own.

There are several EM's that I'd love to have, but space and lack of knowledge makes me not own any.

Does anyone have a 4 Million BC they want to sell me?

Robert

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, it's tough to find a "Free Fall" that's in good condition in the three major areas. Lots of reds in the backglass (bad), very popular and heavily played game= lots of playfield wear (bad). Cabinets were very often carved up or otherwise gouged, but some have passable cabinets. I'll pay up for a really nice one; I mean a REALLY nice one!

When I sold my #2 game the buyer wanted a price on my good one. I was not ready for this and thrilled he did not go for it. I was selling the 2nd of 3 for $450. I offered my great condition one (best of 3 cabs, best of 3 BG and by far best of 3 play fields) for $1000. I played that one quite a bit with a friend of mine who passed away. Today's price would be 2k, which is why it is not on the market. It is not worth 2k to just about anyone but me!

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

48, however most of my EM's were made before I was born......I know I'm in the minority when I say I collect for theme, unique features, rarity and looks rather than for gameplay. Thus, despite a large collection I have almost no games with a card playing theme despite the fact that card playing EM's are among the best EM games with regards to gameplay. The same would apply to pool games if not for the fact that some pool games have 'cool' playfield features.

Nice collection,including a Sea Wolf. Drool

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from cougtv:

LOL, we have a free Hang Glider promised to us from my kid's allergist. That counts, right?!

#40 5 years ago

"Hang Glider" is a good player. Take it for free if it's decent.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Hang Glider" is a good player. Take it for free if it's decent.

It could be a lot worse... I've actually promised it to my tattoo guy. I got no room lol. I am waiting on a replacement playfield to show up for Crescendo then I'm gonna start working on that.

#42 5 years ago

I did not expect people to put there age here, but since lots have, I'm 51

#43 5 years ago

I only have a World Fair '64 but I love Em's. I am 35 tomorrow!

#44 5 years ago

47, i had one in the past.

looking for a centigrade 37, royal flush, or any other card game.

#45 5 years ago

I have 3 EMs...one from each of the Godfathers of pinball...Kordek (75), Clark (66 my birthday pin), and Neyens (76).

That makes me 48...

Phoebe

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

I did not expect people to put there age here, but since lots have, I'm 51

Now that I've seen the poll, I will be "forty-ten" until next April.

#47 5 years ago

I was born about 5 days before "Are you Experienced?
" hit the shelves in the summer of '67....currently own only 1 EM....Capt. Fantastic, but have owned many.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Now that I've seen the poll, I will be "forty-ten" until next April.

make that a month from now for me!

#49 5 years ago

Started playin pinball back in mid 70's. All e-m's back then.

Still have my early ss pins, but sold my e-m's.

I'm glad that many/most pinball tournaments that I've seen/entered usually have 1 to 3 e-m's.

#50 5 years ago

I marked the 41-50 because I turn 41 in October. I have played so many pins since the mid 90's and I have always had a love for EMs. I had the chance to buy DMDs that were fresh off of route for typically 2k including MM but still opted to buy EMs. In the past year and a half I have found that I am a Gottlieb snob and specifically a 60's 2 inch flipper Gottlieb snob. There are a total of about 20 games that came out from 1961-1967 that I like. I own 3 of them and plan to max out at about 13 of them that I specifically want.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.40
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 30.00
Apparel - Men
Pinball Haus
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 27.95
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 339.00
$ 5,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside