Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by sbmania
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Arctic_Gun_3d_Mount_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160728_140930_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160728_140911_(resized).jpg
    7d4d30d606816855d2a4c19acae1eaad2596e38d_(resized).jpg
    20160727_193534_(resized).jpg
    20160716_202828_(resized).jpg
    0615161110br_2_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160521_164258984_(resized).jpg
    rifle_(resized).png
    12705631_10154124922883901_6727721994412097861_n_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I was always a fan of these when I was a kid. I would love to get into them, but the repair and restoration area concerns me. The EM pinball field has many more reference sites for help.
    I wish someone put out an illustrated book on gun games from this period. Lots of fun memories...

#2 7 years ago

I looked into these, too. After seeing game play on YouTube I figured it had to be one of these. The realestate and money needed kept me from pulling the trigger . (not mine)

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3 7 years ago

Your biggest area of concern with those machines is...parts.
    how many were made? if it was a low production run, good luck findin any parts.
    if they made a ton of them, some parts will still be available. but not all.
    you will be forced to look at the used/i still got these, but have not sold any in years areas for parts.
    again... good luck!
    look at the piece before purchase and ask this...does it look complete? anything toasted, or burned up?
    the coils and sleeves will be available. but playfield buttons, toys, etc... will likely not.
    so, if it has been taken care of, and not robbed of half the parts, go for it.

#4 7 years ago

I bought an Allied Leisure "Wild Cycle" once on craigslist years ago. It had self contained, sealed relays that couldn't be cleaned or adjusted without taking them all apart. The game never did work properly, so I just sold it a few years later for the same price I bought it for. It was a real bear to work on, move, and find resources on.

That being said, now that I have more experience working on games, I'd love to pick up another EM arcade game like that again. I've always had a fondness for those EM gun games.

#5 7 years ago

I to always wanted a EM gun game but I have the same concerns

#6 7 years ago

I have a few gun games in my collection. Chicago Coin Shoot out is one of my favorites. When people come into my game room, they seem to gravitate towards my Arcade games more than the pins.

#7 7 years ago

I love mine. 1959

--Jeff

12705631_10154124922883901_6727721994412097861_n_(resized).jpg12705631_10154124922883901_6727721994412097861_n_(resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from kovalski3:

Chicago Coin Shoot out is one of my favorites. When people come into my game room, they seem to gravitate towards my Arcade games more than the pins.

Man, I did not think anybody had one of those.
    I restored one back in the 80's, and it was by far, the most fun gun game I have played.
    The running cowboy is the bomb!
    and yes, folks always gravitate towards the arcade games. I guess it is because they don't have to think to play a gun game???

#9 7 years ago

I also have a bunch of EM shooters. They aren't crazy difficult to work on, but I do agree with others, parts can be a pain in the ass to source.

#10 7 years ago

I have an Ambush and a Haunted House on the way and I've had several others in the past, they are not difficult to work on other than the motorized Midway score reels but yes parts can be hard to find just try to find one that is complete.

1 week later
    #11 7 years ago

When I was a kid I always saved a quarter for a gun game. I would love to have one ( EM only) but don't know anything about them at all. A couple non working have popped up here and there but I would be scared because of lack of knowledge more like no knowledge on them. Maybe we could keep this thread going so those of you out there could teach people like me enough so maybe one day I would know what to look for. I knew nothing on how to fix EM pinballs at one time now I own 5 but you don't see very many gun games out there

#12 7 years ago

The biggest thing to make sure of is that they are complete as far as all the motors along with the artwork, targets and any early solid state boards other than that they are very similar to em's as far as troubleshooting.

#13 7 years ago

Personally I would steer clear of post 1966 midway gun games with motorized score reels. But hey that's just me...

#14 7 years ago

Everybody likes to shoot at Jungle Charlie......

#16 7 years ago

speaking about hard to find parts if anyone have a midway rifle mount please let me know

There is a plastic and metal version. The one I have is plastic and it is horribly damaged.

rifle_(resized).pngrifle_(resized).png

#17 7 years ago

Perfect candidate for a larger 3D print job.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Perfect candidate for a larger 3D print job.

I was thinking the same thing. I actually have a NOS plastic one I would be willing to ship to the person here on pinside that seems to be willing to model it for public consumption.

IMG_20160521_164258984_(resized).jpgIMG_20160521_164258984_(resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

I was thinking the same thing. I actually have a NOS plastic one I would be willing to ship to the person here on pinside that seems to be willing to model it for public consumption.

If you get this done let me know would totally be in for one as well!

3 weeks later
    #20 7 years ago

I am thinking about picking up this Midway shooting gallery. They said it's complete except for the gun which I'm thinking may be hard to find. Is this worth $200?

0615161110br_2_(resized).jpg0615161110br_2_(resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago

The gun could be tricky to find but definitely worth $200. If you have some storage capacity and patience it seems like a no brainer.

#22 7 years ago

That gun will be very very hard to fine. Unlike standard gun games where the gun is merely a pointing and aiming device, on this game is used to propel the nylon balls from the vacuum assembly. That means you have to have the right gun. On standard gun games you can pretty much use any Remington model 502 with some minor modifications to make it work. On this gun game trying to make some other gun work will be extremely difficult. Not impossible but definitely a challenge. Personally I would not buy this gun game for $200 with the missing gun.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

That gun will be very very hard to fine. Unlike standard gun games where the gun is merely a pointing and aiming device, on this game is used to propel the nylon balls from the vacuum assembly. That means you have to have the right gun. On standard gun games you can pretty much use any Remington model 502 with some minor modifications to make it work. On this gun game trying to make some other gun work will be extremely difficult. Not impossible but definitely a challenge. Personally I would not buy this gun game for $200 with the missing gun.

I am thinking you are right. And I really don't feel like storing it until/if I ever find the correct gun.

#24 7 years ago

I'm looking to buy one of these guns by Irving Kay or Midway but I want it complete.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

I am thinking about picking up this Midway shooting gallery. They said it's complete except for the gun which I'm thinking may be hard to find. Is this worth $200?

A lot of parts for the projectile gun games are incredibly hard to find, as Clay said, I would pass as well.

#26 7 years ago

Hell I'd still buy it if it was local. But I have one so at the very least it would be nice to have some spares.

#27 7 years ago

I would buy it if it were me as Well. But with that being said I own an complete extra gun assembly for this game (NFS). Plus it would look nice next to my shooting gallery deluxe

1 month later
    #28 7 years ago

There is a bunch of EM gun games on craigslist in Pottstown PA. on craigslist. I always wanted one but know nothing about them but I am a EM pinball guy.They are about a hour and a half from me. Those of you who know about these games could you please take a look and tell me your opinion please. I wouldn't want to buy something I couldn't get parts for . Thanks

#29 7 years ago

My first game I just got last week! Super fun to play - Midway Deluxe Shooting Gallery '61. I grew up with my Dad's 1978 Star Trek Pinball (which I have dibs on to get someday, but he just had it reconditioned so that wont be any time soon!). It just about worked perfectally when I got it, then I opened it up and tinkered with it slightly reconnecting a lite and replacing a few bulbs, then it pretty much stopped working. Luckly it was just corroded and dirty pin contacts - 5 mins cleaning and plug then in and out, fully functional thankfully! Its only missing a right hand side gun grip, and the motor that moves the clown back and forth. I should be able to rig up a working motor. I'm working on making new rubber cast clown heads, and might even try to make the clear rotating plastic discs if anybody that comes across this in in need. I'll post examples on another thread I've been chatting about it on when I get them done next week and see how they turn out.

20160716_202828_(resized).jpg20160716_202828_(resized).jpg

20160727_193534_(resized).jpg20160727_193534_(resized).jpg

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

It would be a shame to do, but it might be worth buying to part it out. If the internals are in decent shape, it's worth far more than $200 in parts!

#31 7 years ago

I just got a midway caption kid.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spider3582:

I just got a midway caption kid.

From the guy in Pottstown?

#33 7 years ago

Yes

#34 7 years ago

Cool, post some pics when you get a chance.
    I was gonna check out what he had until it started a big fight with my wife!!

#35 7 years ago

7d4d30d606816855d2a4c19acae1eaad2596e38d_(resized).jpg7d4d30d606816855d2a4c19acae1eaad2596e38d_(resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago

IMG_20160728_140911_(resized).jpgIMG_20160728_140911_(resized).jpg

#37 7 years ago

IMG_20160728_140930_(resized).jpgIMG_20160728_140930_(resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago

The brute size of these things always turns me off from buying one. There's no way I'd get one in my minivan, but I don't even know how the hell I'd get one in a pickup truck. They look awful to move/lift.

#39 7 years ago

They are on wheels and is easier than a Pinball machine

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spider3582:

They are on wheels and is easier than a Pinball machine

Have to disagree. If they have wheels it is usually because an operator or home use owner put them on as most came from the factory without wheels. If you put wheels on best to go with the 3" ones as they are way easier to control and roll than the 2" ones and make sure you have at least two that swivel. If they have 3" wheels then in some ways they are easier to move than a pinball machine but you are still dealing with 300 lbs on a lot of these games.

Quoted from Otaku:

They look awful to move/lift.

Lifting them into a vehicle is a pain but you can lay them on their side or back as well as standing them up to transport without hurting them if you secure everything properly.

#41 7 years ago

This was my first gun game and had wheels making loading in my truck and unloading easy . Just rolled it and tilted on its back. I thought they all had wheels, but without wheels you would need a good size hand truck. I didnt have to deal with any stairs or rugs

#42 7 years ago

I moved a Williams "Bonanza" gun game in a mini-van; I had to remove the rifle stock (2 hex cap screws) and lay the game on its side, but it fit.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

The brute size of these things always turns me off from buying one. There's no way I'd get one in my minivan, but I don't even know how the hell I'd get one in a pickup truck. They look awful to move/lift.

Not hard to move at all I moved my Ambush in a 4Runner my Haunted House in a Sequoia (with two passengers) the guns remove pretty easily for transport.

#44 7 years ago

I didn't remove anything. Just laid it on its back in my pick up and tilted back up when I got home and wheeled it to the location so when I was asked about how difficult, it was very easy. When I need to get in the back to work on, it rolls out.

#45 7 years ago

It is a nice addition to my Pinball games . I have five EMs

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Ok, chk this out. Need a good laugh?
    I found a twin rifle in a back yard in Osessa, back in the 80's. got it home, fixed, and then moved to Dallas.
    Had help loadin from the garage to the uhaul, but when I got out here, of course, I did not know anybody, so had to unload by myself.
    Wait for it...here it comes.
    The darn thing was so heavy, I had to put one foot on the wall of the truck, just to get enuf grunt to tilt it back.
    It felt like I had the whole truck on the dolly.
    Anyway, I got it to move, but as soon as I got it on the ramp, it yanked the handle right out of my hands, fell on its back, the handle punched through the truck bed, and slid down the ramp, bending the handle straight up, and stopped at the bottom of the ramp.
    A neighbor saw it, and offered to help. We both struggled with that thing to get it inside the house.
    After we were done, he politely said, "please do not ask me to help you do that again".
    I said, no problem, I won't be askin me to do that again either.

#47 7 years ago

I got lucky mine had wheels and I didn't have to deal with stairs. I thought they all came with wheels I don't know this is my first gun game but I can see that if I had to deal with stairs, rugs doorways etc etc no wheels it would be a pain. Did you and the neighbor become friends

#48 7 years ago

I put soft led lights on the backglass of capt kid. It really brightens up the backglass colors . Looks good but sometimes they all blink at the same time when I pull the trigger

#49 7 years ago

I was working on an Arctic Gun that someone put a Midway rifle on including the mount. As some of you know the Midway mount aimed the gun way down and was unplayable. I drew up a Midway to Williams adapter and printed it to see if the game scored shots etc. Worked perfectly so i printed up a set of blanks so I can sand cast an aluminum mount and make a nice solid mount.

Arctic_Gun_3d_Mount_(resized).jpgArctic_Gun_3d_Mount_(resized).jpg

#50 7 years ago

Looks good

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-gun-games-from-the-60s-70s/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.