5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by heatwave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Glass and Rifle (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

So I had the opportunity to play Haunted House from Midway. It was my first EM arcade experience, having only played light gun arcade games. I enjoyed the game and think the recoil was an unexpected treat.
    It has led to curiosity about EM gun games and whether the gameplay between different games are similar with the theme being the main difference?

I have an EM pinball machine and also wonder if their care and maintenance is similar?

Are their any websites or books to learn more about EM gun games?

Thanks in advance for any info.

#2 5 months ago

Here is the group thread!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ot-show-us-your-em-gun-games

Once I saw this thread, I felt like I had to get one! I actually stumbled upon one, Coney Island, and it is waiting to be fixed up, however it is very similar to a EM pinball. If you know how those work and can fix, you should be able to work on a Gun Game.

#3 5 months ago

You can find a list of gun games and their features in the Mr. Pinball Price Guide. IMHO, the principal differences are in the type of gun (most are rifles, but there are pistols, machine guns, and space blasters) and whether you play based on time or number of shots. Interesting variations: free-handling gun (tethered instead of mounted), shooting physical projectiles, and 2-player games.
    .................David Marston

#4 5 months ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

You can find a list of gun games and their features in the Mr. Pinball Price Guide. IMHO, the principal differences are in the type of gun (most are rifles, but there are pistols, machine guns, and space blasters) and whether you play based on time or number of shots. Interesting variations: free-handling gun (tethered instead of mounted), shooting physical projectiles, and 2-player games.

I think one of the key features that makes gun games unique or more desirable are their sound properties. Early games have more simplistic Bells, by the late 60s and early 70s, many games had switched over to primitive solid-state sounds. More interesting also additional background music. If you look on these threads, you will see most of the popular games incorporate those later more sophisticated sounds.

#5 5 months ago

The listings in the book will tell you which gun games had electronic sound boards or the embedded 8-track tape player.

#6 5 months ago
    #8 5 months ago

I never cease to be amazed and so grateful for the considerable and extraordinary effort that Clay has made to provide a resource base for this hobby.

#9 5 months ago

I've had one game (a Space Gun) that is included in the above listed thread. They are a lot of fun although I found them to be a little more challenging to work on vs. pinball games. The main reason is that it is often impossible to trouble-shoot / fix while the game is playing because many of the 'guts' are on a tray at the bottom of the cabinet which has to be removed to access.

Certainly not a big enough reason to avoid them, but they can be tricky. Agree with all the other comments made above. I miss my Space Gun and I'm always keeping an eye out for another game!

Glass and Rifle (resized).jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Batman 66 Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 19.95
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4.95
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 90.00
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside