(Topic ID: 129697)

What are your favorite EM Manufacturers and why?

By PinballFever

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

son.jpeg
    Studebaker with UTAH Pinball.jpg
    th-1.jpeg
    Backglass.jpg
    Playfield2.jpg
    allhock3.jpg
    124656a_lg.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    2012-08-28_20-37-52_877 copy.jpg
    2012-08-28_20-37-39_807 copy.jpg
    2012-08-28_20-40-39_469.jpg
    2012-08-28_20-26-43_722 copy.jpg
    2012-08-28_20-45-00_761.jpg
    2012-08-28_20-45-38_960.jpg
    2012-08-28_20-25-43_841 copy.jpg
    2012-08-28_20-25-20_918 copy.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joenewberry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 8 years ago

I really like Williams games from the late 60s and 70s, despite all the flack they take.

Pointy people and psychedelic colors don't deter me. Christian Marche was definitely different than Roy Parker, but that doesn't mean the gameplay is bad. If anything, the simple style Marche used makes restoration a heck of a lot easier, which is aces in my book.

A lot of their games allow you to collect the bonus during the ball instead of after the drain, which gives you something to keep shooting for instead of maxing the bonus out and then just waiting to lose.

Lots of save gates, save posts, ball return kickers, etc. give you that sense you can get some protection going and then when you think you're "safe" you lose the ball anyway. It's nice having goals that give you a false sense of security.

Pop bumper forests keep the ball nice and lively, and pop bumpers between the flippers are awesome for making desperate saves and "Oooh, ah!" moments when the ball defies gravity, looping around the bumper and right onto your flipper.

A lot of Williams game have some type of random bonus award that can allow a novice player to beat an experienced one. That might be bad if you're super competitive, but if you want to get people interested in the game it's really a nice feature, since it helps those players feel like they have a fighting chance and aren't just going to get beaten over and over if they play with you.

More drop targets would have been nice (Big Deal does have drop banks for what it's worth and several games have single drops), but not having them doesn't make Williams machines "not pinball" as some people claim.

I like working on them. I really "get" Williams start-up process, and I can find problems easier than on a Gottlieb from the same era.

I also tend to favor an underdog. If the majority only want Gottlieb wedgeheads, that's great because it leaves more Williams pointy people for me.

#57 8 years ago

Bally made some great EMs. Didn't a lot of people consider Fireball the greatest pinball ever, once upon a time?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joenewberry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-gottlieb-williams-bally-chicago-coin?tu=joenewberry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.