5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frogger1108.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I've got a quick question regarding the old Williams EM flipper coils, namely the FL-21-375/28-400. I'm tinkering around with some old EM parts in my pinball projects and I was surprised about the kick of those coils. I measured the resistance of the first and second circuit and they came out as 0.5 and 8.2 ohm respectively.

While the 8 ohm value is close the one described on the coil resistance chart homepage (https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html), 0.5 for the first circuit is way too low, it should be 1.5.

I tested both flipper coils and they have exactly the same values, so I don't think it's some kind of damage that happened to the coils. Has anybody ever measured their FL-21-375/28-400 coils ? I can't run them with a normal power supply since they will draw around 40 amps ! (amps = volts / ohms).

My idea is to put an additional 1 ohm in line with the coil somehow, however I don't think this is the way they worked in the original machines?

#3 5 years ago

The problem is that
    a) the flipper is too powerful, the ball is bouncing off targets that are halfway up the playfield.
    b) the power supply shuts down momentarily since it can only provide 15 amps.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frogger1108.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-flipper-coil-resistance?tu=Frogger1108 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.