(Topic ID: 95037)

Em Flip Flop doesnt return to previous player? Might just be Dirty?

By tdiddy

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by tdiddy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So I have this em, If you play single player its all good. But the minute you put more then one players on the game it will not return to the player before. (play 2 players, onces player one is done with there first ball and player 2 starters, all scoring remians on it, and plays out it balls and this goes for 3 or 4 players) The coil fires at the end of a ball drain but the player disk in the backbox does not spin back to the previous player. The spring looks good, it just seems gummed up over the years of sitting in an old dirty warehouse. Is there something I can use to clean this dial? i.e. mean green or electrical cleaner?

#2 9 years ago

I usually follow the pinrepair method of alcohol and then a light sanding followed by some gel lube. Seems to work wonders and usually negates the needs to adjust the springs most of the time.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm

#3 9 years ago

NO electrical cleaner!!! ever...

usually step 1 with steppers is "take apart and clean thoroughly"... you are on the right track, they tend to gum up over the years... it is unlikely the disk itself that is the problem in your case, it is more likely that the pawls are "sticky" (especially any that are mounted with shoulder bolts)...

take it out of the machine, and take a LOT of pictures during disassembly... it isn't hard to do, it just looks hard... there are descriptions both on the site linked in the previous post and on pinwiki that will guide you through it... read through those descriptions carefully...

as far as cleaning the disk goes, i have found that degreasing/cleaning it with something like mean green, and then using brasso to polish up the rivets (instead of sandpaper) works really well... i used to use the sandpaper method, but tried the brasso on a suggestion from pinsider stashyboy, and much prefer that method...

to clean everything else, if the parts are zinc plated, mean green works well... if you have an ultrasonic cleaner, all the better... if it is one of those gottliebs that have the "bronzy" parts, zep heavy duty citus degreaser works the best...

plenty of people here to help... if you are going to own em's, learning to rebuild steppers is one of those things that is necessary...

#4 9 years ago

Yeah it was just super gummed up, I guess being close to 40 years old will do that to you. All is right in the Flip Flop world

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-flip-flop-doesnt-return-to-previous-player-might-just-be-dirty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.