3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MarkG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Air Aces drop target reset (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hello!

Today I chanced upon someone's Rating for Gottlieb's 1P "Top Hand" AAB where he pointed out that the drop targets behaved differently than the replay version "High Hand" when he wrote:

"The main difference between this and High Hand is that the targets all reset after the ball drains once all the targets have been knocked down."

I didn't realize replay and AAB models of the "same game" could be different with respect to drop target resetting. And then I got to thinking that I could point this out in the listing itself. If I only knew the facts, that is.

So, I thought I'd post this query, asking if anyone can identify an EM game with drop target banks that s/he is familiar with and indicate which one of these occurs:

1) bank doesn't reset until all targets down in that bank.
    2) multiple drop target banks. None reset until all targets down in all banks, and ball drains.
    3) bank doesn't reset until ball drains.
    4) bank doesn't reset until start of next game.

or maybe something else. However you need to say it. A game like Gottlieb "El Dorado" has a 5-bank and a 10-bank to consider, I'll mention.

Well you know, let's go ahead and include games that have only one drop target, like Williams 1968 Daffie. Its drop target resets only at end of ball.

Thanks in advance. I'll check back here from time to time. Perhaps users of IPDB will find it useful to have this info pointed out in the listings.

Maybe somebody can start this off by explaining how High Hand does it?

Jay

#2 3 years ago

For High Hand the drop targets once hit, stay down during the game. They only pop back up when the machine re-sets for the next game.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

For High Hand the drop targets once hit, stay down during the game. They only pop back up when the machine re-sets for the next game.

Which is why I passed on buying a High Hand that was close by. It’s a beautiful machine and I’m sure it’s still fun but I’m holding out for a Capt Card, even though they are hard to find.

#4 3 years ago

Gottlieb Drop-A-Card (replay) - targets only reset at game reset. Gottlieb Pop-A-Card (AAB), targets reset at ball drain.

#5 3 years ago

Here's what I've added thus far:

Drop targets reset only at start of a new game.
    GTB High Hand - Replay
    GTB Drop-A-Card - Replay

Drop targets reset only at start of a new ball.
    GTB Capt Card - AAB
    GTB Top Hand - AAB for Italy
    GTB Pop-A-Card - AAB

WLL Daffie - AAB - the sole drop target resets at start of new game, when 1-2-3-4-5 is completed, or when ball goes through upper gate.

Jay

#6 3 years ago

Sounds like an opportunity for a little schematic mining. IPDB appears to have roughly 40 non Gottlieb drop target games with schematics available. That might be a good place to start. Air Aces for example appears to reset the drop targets once they're all down, when the ball drains and at the start of a new game.
    Air Aces drop target reset (resized).jpgAir Aces drop target reset (resized).jpg

/Mark

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

Sounds like an opportunity for a little schematic mining. IPDB appears to have roughly 40 non Gottlieb drop target games with schematics available. That might be a good place to start. Air Aces for example appears to reset the drop targets once they're all down, when the ball drains and at the start of a new game.
    [quoted image]
    /Mark

Yeah, but then there's switch 9M requiring a condition to turn the motor or the other three conditions aren't enough. Hmm. What juices switch 9M, and when, and what got the motor to turn when switch 9M is juiced, and when?

I think I'd rather have an informed player/owner tell me instead of me drawing conclusions from a schematic. I don't want to take how things appear on a schematic and make them into words which look like facts, if I haven't even played the game. I could easily misinterpret.

In fact, I may have already screwed this up for the AABs by converting the words given to me as "reset at ball drain" to become the words "only at start of a new ball". I had thought the two phrases meant the same thing. They do not, I now realize, because of what actually is happening when the last ball in play drains:

Resetting "when the ball drains" to me means the last ball in play landing in outhole resets the drop targets to be in their UP position during Game Over mode

while resetting "only at start of a new ball" means the dropped targets stay in their DOWN position during Game Over mode.

For any applicable AAB, which way is it during Game Over, I wonder?

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from I_P_D_B:

Yeah, but then there's switch 9M requiring a condition to turn the motor or the other three conditions aren't enough. Hmm. What juices switch 9M, and when, and what got the motor to turn when switch 9M is juiced, and when?

Pretty much what you'd expect, Out Hole relay, Targets Down relay and Reset relay among others.

Quoted from I_P_D_B:

I think I'd rather have an informed player/owner tell me instead of me drawing conclusions from a schematic. I don't want to take how things appear on a schematic and make them into words which look like facts, if I haven't even played the game.

I think the schematic for an EM game (barring errors which happen) reflects the designer's rules at least as well as an example of the game. And many schematics are more accessible than the games themselves which would offer more opportunity for reviewing, double checking, etc.. But either approach works. Go with what you're comfortable with.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-drop-targets-when-do-they-reset?hl=sea_wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.