(Topic ID: 150612)

EM Consumable Parts Getting Harder to Find.

By SteveinTexas

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CraigC
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Getting parts for our favorite 50's and 60's games that wear out with time are slowly getting harder to find. I rely on Steve Young to stock parts for my games or restores but he has mentioned more than once in the last two years that I am getting the last of a particular relay and he won't be getting more or he needs to check with say Multiproducts if they will make as parts are gone. I was unable to get a couple of popular springs for baseball games as the stocks have run out probably permanently.

So keep your old rare relay cores as you make soon have to get them rewound as one offs. Order multiple baseball springs if you ever find a stash and keep a few plastic baseball bats as some examples.

Steve J.

#2 3 years ago

The tragedy of the commons strikes again!!

Its funny, I just brought this up in a topic: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tragedy-of-the-commons

#3 3 years ago

Good advice, thank you. Looking for a p&b.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

The tragedy of the commons strikes again!!
    Its funny, I just brought this up in a topic: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tragedy-of-the-commons

Read your thread and it is a good read.

I am a little concerned about the consumable parts that we need for all games. The small numbers we use overall makes it hard to justify PBR remaking. Steve Young knows if the part sells enough whether he can justify to remake. If this last part I got by his words was the last that bin is never getting restocked.

Fellow Pinsiders have stepped up for older baseball games like Scott Webb with aluminum buttons, rubber, bat levers etc. I still see people ask where to get these parts never using the search feature so unsure if they find the part but that is an other story. I do not see people making special springs however as an example.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Getting parts for our favorite 50's and 60's games that wear out with time are slowly getting harder to find. I rely on Steve Young to stock parts for my games or restores but he has mentioned more than once in the last two years that I am getting the last of a particular relay and he won't be getting more or he needs to check with say Micro products if they will make as parts are gone. I was unable to get a couple of popular springs for baseball games as the stocks have run out probably permanently.
    So keep your old rare relay cores as you make soon have to get hem rewound as one offs. Order multiple baseball springs if you ever find a stash and keep a few plastic baseball bats as some examples.
    Steve J.

Are you saying we won't be able to buy an entire relay or just the coil? Coils are commonly needed for many applications.

One thing that desperately needs to be reproduced is the Jones connectors.

A great many springs are reproduced for antique mechanical slot machines (Bernie Berten: http://www.mrslot1.com/ ) so why doesn't someone do the same for pinball applications? Perhaps some of the slot machine springs will work for pinball use?

#6 3 years ago

If you're looking for Williams and Bally EM parts it's almost like that guy doesn't even care. And I'm not talking about Steve.

#7 3 years ago

have you hit up APB? the list of coils they make keeps expanding.

-c

#8 3 years ago

Well, springs are something that can be manufactured to spec, in smaller numbers I would imagine. A shop with the right wire and a CNC wire bender should be able to reproduce any type of spring, one would think. Of course I have no idea of cost nor if the correct specs would still exist to reproduce them.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

Have you hit up APB? The list of coils they make keeps expanding.
    -c

Who's that? Never heard of them.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you're looking for Williams and Bally EM parts it's almost like that guy doesn't even care. And I'm not talking about Steve.

He doesn't.

#12 3 years ago

When Steve decides to retire and just play his Pinball's I believe he will leave for others a very viable robust Gottlieb parts business. He is a big reason if not the biggest that so many of us can get parts for our games. But as pointed out as clear as a bell to me by some on this thread for Williams, United and Bally the other team has done nothing for the older games.

Ten years from now we will have to reinvent or will have invented our parts feeder business model. So you guys that understand 3D printing the pinball world is asking what can you do for us.

Steve J.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

But as pointed out as clear as a bell to me by some on this thread for Williams, United and Bally the other team has done nothing for the older games.

Not completely nothing. There have been a few backglasses done lately..... on plastic.

#14 3 years ago

Backplastics.

#15 3 years ago

Bah, EM's will still be going strong when "modern" pinballs are gathering dust.

Sure, we'll have to improvise a bit more-- maybe the coil you get will need a few dozen turns of wire removed to be the correct strength, or the spring you get will need a little adjusting, but people will be able to cobble together a fix for almost any problem these old machines have long after we're all dead and gone. Can you say that for the modern stuff with their chips and circuit boards and digital displays?

3-D printing will solve a lot of our problems, and backglassess will stop being a problem when printing improves just a little bit more (maybe brand new play fields too!). In fact, in a few years we might be routinely restoring machines that are considered too far gone today.

Maybe the biggest problem we have going forward is the greed of the people who try to limit the production of parts. Just look at what happened to Pinball Rescue-- one letter from an attorney and they stop making all their Williams plastics. If the money guys would just step back and leave us alone I think it's only going to get better as time goes on.

#16 3 years ago

Yes 3D printer are handy, Ive got a couple of switch covers and "ball in play" light dividers courteous of a 3D print.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from cjmiller:

they stop making all their Williams plastics.

actually, they only stopped making anything that had the Williams or Bally logo or copyright on them. Plastics that didn't have the logo on them are still available (Nags, for example). But door stickers and apron decals were lost (since they have the logo on them).

#18 3 years ago

Opportunity for pinsiders to make a few things to support the hobby too. You won't get rich but loads of karma points. Oh they are gone to.

#19 3 years ago

As odd as it may sound, Crow River Trading, many times has some odd EM parts that are not available from other sources like Steve Young.
    Specialization in many hard to find early coin operated parts like weird springs.
    Their pinball book collection is one of the finest on the internet, but you have to move really fast on the rare books when they pop up for sale.

http://www.crowriver.com/coinop/index.htm

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

But door stickers and apron decals were lost (since they have the logo on them).

Pinball Rescue is not down and out.
    These decals were not "lost".
    "Anything is possible", sources are available, go find them.
    Beyond that I am not breaching this topic further as there is already too much a$$clownery going on in the parts world.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Who's that? Never heard of them.

The same people that worked with Terry at Pinball Life that created the original Stern "real knocker" kit.
    You might remember them, they do a lot of other pinball specialization for "one runs".
    For the life of me, I cannot remember names right now.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

As odd as it may sound, Crow River Trading, many times has some odd EM parts, .....but you have to move really fast on the rare books when they pop up for sale.
    http://www.crowriver.com/coinop/index.htm

Interesting link. Thank you

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

The same people that worked with Terry at Pinball Life that created the original Stern "real knocker" kit.
    You might remember them, they do a lot of other pinball specialization for "one runs".
    For the life of me, I cannot remember names right now.

APB Andrew & Kim Barney. 2 awesome people.

Andrew also runs the free play room at Expo as well as does all the row spacing in both rooms and vendor halls and deals with tons of logistics.

He created custom recoil coils for my gun game on 3d printed bobbins from someone else who is also Awesome .

-c

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.00
    $ 14.95
    $ 38.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Dystopian Mods Italia
    $ 289.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 10.95
    Pinball Machine
    Monster Bash Remake Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 25.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 72.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside